Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Arsenal don't seem to have been linked with Keisuke Honda or Christian Eriksen at all which I find a bit odd?

I suppose they're not what is needed but they would have to be considered great value purchases.

M'Vila would be a very good signing despite the lack of speculation in recent times

Skill wise maybe but because of his off field "antics", he really wouldn't. There was a reason so many clubs lost interest in him all of a sudden. From what I can tell, from speaking to French workmates, he seems to be a bit of a French Joey Barton. He was up in court last year after assaulting a 17 year old and is still banned from the French national team for going on a night out while on international duty (he travelled 200km from Le Harve to go to Paris for a night out in between the two legs of a UEFA European Championship qualifying playoff).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Lads whatever bout ibra keep the bale ****e out of here its begining to smell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Andre Santos officially gone now as well - board/AW are doing half of what we wanted in clearing out the deadwood taking up wages, but it'd be nice to see one or two coming in and getting bedded in.

Anyone gong to the Emirates Cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I don't mind people talking about Ibra. You can choose to read what you want.

The people giving out are not helping the mood.

I'd rather stare at his big fat nose all day than see giving out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

"Sky sources" say fabregas bid from united has been upped to 30 mil plus add ons.

Lovely

• Advertisement

I'm quietly confident that if/when the bid is accepted, Arsenal will kick in and try to control Fabregas over the situation. I'd like to think that that will happen with the whole "First Refusal" option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

HazDanz wrote: »
    "Sky sources" say fabregas bid from united has been upped to 30 mil plus add ons.

Lovely

Another piece will die inside me if I see him in a united jersey.

Please god no.

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I'm quietly confident that if/when the bid is accepted, Arsenal will kick in and try to control Fabregas over the situation. I'd like to think that that will happen with the whole "First Refusal" option.

Wenger won't allow it to happen. We sign a striker of real quality and it wouldn't take much to get fab back to us.

Wenger won't allow it to happen. We sign a striker of real quality and it wouldn't take much to get fab back to us.

Was just thinking how would we fit him santi and jack in the same team, interesting one, but exciting nonetheless!

Was just thinking how would we fit him santi and jack in the same team, interesting one, but exciting nonetheless!

Taking him back would be a transfer double of sorts. Stops united getting that key link in midfield they are crying out for and it gives us back a world class midfielder - Trinity of fab, cazorla and jack would be mouth watering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Wenger said himself that Fab was staying another year

I doubt Fabregas, Wilshere and Cazorla would work perfectly.

It sounds extremely mouth-watering, you are right. But football tends to **** the fans over when it comes to partnerships like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Striker
    Cazorla Fabregas Walcott
    ----DM
    Wilshere

Would work fine tbh, not that its ever gonna happen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I doubt Fabregas, Wilshere and Cazorla would work perfectly.

It sounds extremely mouth-watering, you are right. But football tends to **** the fans over when it comes to partnerships like that.

why not? one might need to shunted out to the wing but something like this should work except for one fact.

...............Wilshere.....Arteta/new DM

..Walcott............Fabergas...........Cazorla

.......................Giroud/New CF

that fact is that I dont think Fabergas will leave Barcelona this Summer. However I do think its worth noting that signing a player who could play in the position Fabergas could play and moving Cazorla out wide could negate the need to replace say a Gervinho while strengthening the team overall despite not being a necessary signing.

I also find it funny that if you type Gervinho the built in dictionary (if you have it switched on) suggests you mean unnerving.

that fact is that I dont think Fabergas will leave Barcelona this Summer. However I do think its worth noting that signing a player who could play in the position Fabergas could play and moving Cazorla out wide could negate the need to replace say a Gervinho while strengthening the team overall despite not being a necessary signing.

I also find it funny that if you type Gervinho the built in dictionary (if you have it switched on) suggests you mean unnerving.
    I actually think this will happen but rather than a new signing it'll be Wilshere or Ox at CAM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

...............Wilshere.....Arteta/new DM

..Walcott............Fabergas...........Cazorla

.......................Giroud/Ibra

:D

All this talk about Ibra and Bale.....lads ill settle it.....None of them and i mean absolutely none of them, will ever compare to Perry Groves :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

All this talk about Ibra and Bale.....lads ill settle it.....None of them and i mean absolutely none of them, will ever compare to Perry Groves :D

I had the brilliant Nelson Vivas in my own head :D

Vivas was much better than Groves and anyone whop says otherwise knows little about football.

I had the brilliant Nelson Vivas in my own head :D

Vivas was much better than Groves and anyone whop says otherwise knows little about football.

Eddy mcgoldrick, this discussion is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Eddy mcgoldrick, this discussion is over.

He was no Glenn Helder :D

• Advertisement

Gringo180 wrote: »

Or john Jensen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Gringo180 wrote: »

I got this guy on the back of my first Arsenal jersey back in the day after seeing him in 1 game....:o

Worst choice ever..

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    I got this guy on the back of my first Arsenal jersey back in the day after seeing him in 1 game....:o

Worst choice ever..

Me too I kid you not, it was the navy jvc jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Wenger said himself that Fab was staying another year
    he also said RVP wont leave last summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Corriere della Sport front page headline says Napoli have agreed a €35m fee for Higuain.

http://www.corrieredellosport.it/Edicola.shtml

If true, here's how this plays out:

Napoli bid for Higuain. Arsenal do nothing. Higuain moves to Napoli, boosting Real's budget.
    Real bid for Suarez. Arsenal bid too. Suarez goes to Real.
    Rooney goes to Chelsea.

Arsenal fight it out with Liverpool over some C-list striker who is eventually back-up to Giroud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

This Summer is getting increasingly difficult. Field day for the pessimists. At least someone is having fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I hate how we're the laughing stock of the footballing world when it comes to signing players.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I hate how we're the laughing stock of the footballing world when it comes to signing players.

Completely our fault though. If Higuain goes to Napoli then we'll have let him go for £5m and allowed Real to get the funds to beat us to Suarez. It would be like Mata all over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

United are matching ye this year. We are like some ginger in a nightclub, going for all the models (Fabregas / Bale / Thiago / Ronaldo) before getting refused on numerous occassions, pissing ourselves and heading off home for a **** (Baines and Fellaini)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Completely our fault though. If Higuain goes to Napoli then we'll have let him go for £5m and allowed Real to get the funds to beat us to Suarez. It would be like Mata all over again.
    And Alonso before that.

And Alonso before that.

Don't forget the Cazorla to Malaga deal too. We do this all the time. Once Rooney, Suarez and Higuain are off the market, I wonder what eejit we'll eventually plump for. Papiss Cisse? Remy? :rolleyes:

I think the Higgy deal is dead.

Suarez is the man we are after now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I think the Higgy deal is dead.

Suarez is the man we are after now

Except if madrid are really after suarez ye havnt a hope. Rooney will go to chelsea if he leaves united so theres not much left.

If the madrid interest is there as soon as higuain is sold they will probably go for suarez.

Very debatable. 35m for him doesn't seems like good business, you can hardly say its the board's fault for being held to ransom by Madrid. If what we've read is true, there's no reason to believe that Madrid wouldn't have upped the price again had the met the valuation. Its extremely poor form to move the original valuation up after the other party has met it, at that point the negotiations are just a complete mess. The logic of it looks like: Higuain for 25m? Sure. Higuain for 30-35? Why not put an extra few million in and get a better player in Suarez. It is of course risky though.

I think I might be in the minority here but I'm more worried about the CB/DM issue. We have no proper Arteta backup/replacement and only 3 usable CBs which includes an injured Vermaelen. We scored a decent amount of goals last season and I can only see Giroud/Poldi/Ox/Wilshere improving their tallies and hopefully Walcott and Cazorla matching theirs from last season. The CB/DM issue should be a far easier one to solve too yet there seems to be no movement at all. I think I'm right in saying we've only been linked with Williams as a CB? Doubt we're even in for him either.

Also yet to see anything linking Madrid to Suarez, they seem more interested in Bale..

Also as much as I think the Higuain deal is dead for us, how many newspapers have reported us agreeing a fee only for nothing to happen? Its all just speculation really..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

AdamD wrote: »
    Very debatable. 35m for him doesn't seems like good business, you can hardly say its the board's fault for being held to ransom by Madrid. If what we've read is true, there's no reason to believe that Madrid wouldn't have upped the price again had the met the valuation. Its extremely poor form to move the original valuation up after the other party has met it, at that point the negotiations are just a complete mess. The logic of it looks like: Higuain for 25m? Sure. Higuain for 30-35? Why not put an extra few million in and get a better player in Suarez. It is of course risky though.

I think I might be in the minority here but I'm more worried about the CB/DM issue. We have no proper Arteta backup/replacement and only 3 usable CBs which includes an injured Vermaelen. We scored a decent amount of goals last season and I can only see Giroud/Poldi/Ox/Wilshere improving their tallies and hopefully Walcott and Cazorla matching theirs from last season. The CB/DM issue should be a far easier one to solve too yet there seems to be no movement at all. I think I'm right in saying we've only been linked with Williams as a CB? Doubt we're even in for him either.

Also yet to see anything linking Madrid to Suarez, they seem more interested in Bale..

Diaby? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I agree, another CB needs to be signed especially now that Vermaelen is missing for the start of the season. Sakho would be a great option imo. Hes fairly versatile, young and French. Whats not to like!? Plus PSG have just signed Marquinhos from Roma which will push him further down the pecking order there.

Also, for the DM role, Gustavo looks like he is available and would fit into that role perfectly imo. Its a world cup year and Hes currently a starter for Brazil. Its going to be very hard for him to keep that position while sitting on the bench for Bayern imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Also as much as I think the Higuain deal is dead for us, how many newspapers have reported us agreeing a fee only for nothing to happen? Its all just speculation really..

It really is a mess. Why dont RM let us have Higuian for 25m then they can have Suerez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Napoli are supposedly interested in Damiao as well. They wouldn't want both would they? Clutching at straws I know but trying to find something to be optimistic about

Very debatable. 35m for him doesn't seems like good business, you can hardly say its the board's fault for being held to ransom by Madrid. If what we've read is true, there's no reason to believe that Madrid wouldn't have upped the price again had the met the valuation. Its extremely poor form to move the original valuation up after the oteher party has met it, at that point the negotiations are just a complete mess. The logic of it looks like: Higuain for 25m? Sure. Higuain for 30-35? Why not put an extra few million in and get a better player in Suarez. It is of course risky though.

Who cares if 35 million seems a bit much?

Will he improve the team, yes so just pay the money.

greendom wrote: »
    Napoli are supposedly interested in Damiao as well. They wouldn't want both would they? Clutching at straws I know but trying to find something to be optimistic about

Rory Smith ‏@RorySmithTimes 21m
    On Higuain: impression I got while in Dimaro was that Napoli think Damiao is a lot more likely. That may change if Real drop their price.

For what its worth
    Who cares if 35 million seems a bit much?

Will he improve the team, yes so just pay the money.
    Because it just doesn't work like that

• Advertisement

Rory Smith ‏@RorySmithTimes 21m
    On Higuain: impression I got while in Dimaro was that Napoli think Damiao is a lot more likely. That may change if Real drop their price.

For what its worth

Because it just doesn't work like that

It works for other teams and the benefits show that.

The only teams who can spend whatever is necessary to get a player regardless of their actual worth are teams with unlimited budgets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

You can't compare us to Man City, PSG etc. Any normal club would have pulled out just as we did once Real moved the goalposts.

The only teams who can spend whatever is necessary to get a player regardless of their actual worth are teams with unlimited budgets.

We have 70 million or we were told, lets spend some of it, he will improve our attack straightaway, its not a lot in terms of adding a class striker.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2013/07/20/4130770/manchester-city-wanted-me-more-jovetic-reveals-arsenal-and

Jovetic interview where he says we were in advanced talks with him then city came in and it was goodnight!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2013/07/20/4130770/manchester-city-wanted-me-more-jovetic-reveals-arsenal-and

Jovetic interview where he says we were in advanced talks with him then city came in and it was goodnight!

Where exactly does he say that?

shano_88 wrote: »
    Where exactly does he say that?

Sorry it said he revealed we were in for him and in advanced talks, thats where I took it from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I'd love to be able to read some positive news in here for a change :(

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

wonga77 wrote: »
    I'd love to be able to read some positive news in here for a change :(

The papers this morning read very similar to this thread the last while, pretty depressing stuff.

Geoff Arsenal ‏@GeoffArsenal 55s
    Santi joins the squad on Monday.
    Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
    Geoff Arsenal ‏@GeoffArsenal 1m
    Arsenal are to make a £41m bid for Suarez on Monday.
    Expand
    Geoff Arsenal ‏@GeoffArsenal 4m
    Hearing Nacho is out until October with a back injury.
    Expand
    Geoff Arsenal ‏@GeoffArsenal 6m
    Phew... Good news and bad news. Whats 1st?

For the sake of pointless speculation :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement