Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I love how Mod talk is always in bold.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

If only Arsene was as bold - he was once - where has our old manager gone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

ugsparky wrote: »

I watched premier league years 97/98 on ESPN Classic this morning. What a team. It'd break your heart comparing them to the current lot. Especially considering we're so much more wealthy these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

keano_afc wrote: »
    I love how Mod talk is always in bold.

I've at times wondered if people look at the username, or just see bold and think mod. Wonder if you would get away with typing in bold and people doing whatever was said :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Since David Dein left he hasnt been the same in the transfer market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Have to kind of admire how teams like Chelsea and Newcastle have done there business this transfer window no messing about. We just know even if we do sign someone (not that im optimistic on that one) it will be a long drawn out process and concluded on deadline day after which weve already lost more valuable points.

Whatever about Wenger and Kroenke I think Gazidis has to go we need someone who can get deals done.

Dont know if this has been posted already but here it is anyway just to give you all a giggle :D Goes back to my earlier comment

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2266326/Arsenal-fine-list-Per-Mertesacker-enforcer-Germans-make-money--Arsene-Wenger.html
    Asked why Mertesacker, who has won 85 caps for his country, was his enforcer, Wenger joked: 'The Germans do well economically and we respect that. They are the only ones that make money in Europe. That’s why we’ve chosen a German.'
    A document, printed on Arsenal headed paper, detailing a list of rules for Wenger's players and the cash penalty for breaking those specific laws has gone viral on the internet after a fan, who is understood to be an acquaintance of the Gunners' doctor Gary O'Driscoll, took a photo of the fines sheet during a tour of the training ground before posting it on a file-sharing website.

The fines included are £1,000 for players not turning up for matches they are not involved in, £500 for arriving late for travel or training, £250 for not turning up on time to a team meeting or meal and £100 for taking a newspaper, laptop or phone into the medical area or dressing room.

The Arsenal boss even lays down the law over the clothing worn by his players, with £100 docked for items deemed inappropriate.
    The club insist they will not review their security procedures despite their internal fines system being plastered over the internet.

The supporter who leaked the list believed only his friends and himself would be privy to the picture. O'Driscoll and the supporter are said to be distraught the document has circulated so rapidly.

Wenger admits he is disappointed the file has been made public but added: 'It’s more disappointing than upsetting. It’s one of the things I told you before. You cannot keep anything inside any more.

'It’s frustrating because I feel you have a right to privacy inside the dressing room. When that is not respected, it’s disappointing.
    'It was not malicious. It’s more innocent. The intention counts for me and I don’t think the intention behind that was anything bad. It’s more disappointing than anything else.
    'I don't talk about what happens inside. We live in a world that you do not have to come into our sleeping room to know exactly what happens.
    'It becomes a little bit ridiculous now that every single moment of a football club has to be absolutely public and explained.
    'We have to stand up for our bad performances, but not for everything that goes on at the club

Have to kind of admire how teams like Chelsea and Newcastle have done there business this transfer window no messing about. We just know even if we do sign someone (not that im optimistic on that one) it will be a long drawn out process and concluded on deadline day after which weve already lost more valuable points.

Whatever about Wenger and Kroenke I think Gazidis has to go we need someone who can get deals done.

Is he all that bad though? I mean he is dealing with a tougher transfer scene then David Dein in fairness. He can only bargain with the resources allocated to him not too unlike Wenger. He came across as fairly decent to me in interviews and has negotiated a few deals already. Emirates with adidas apparently prepared to follow suit

I watched premier league years 97/98 on ESPN Classic this morning. What a team. It'd break your heart comparing them to the current lot. Especially considering we're so much more wealthy these days.

Inflated transfer prices though...for absolute dross i might add also

• Advertisement

Is he all that bad though? I mean he is dealing with a tougher transfer scene then David Dein in fairness. He can only bargain with the resources allocated to him not too unlike Wenger. He came across as fairly decent to me in interviews and has negotiated a few deals already. Emirates with adidas apparently prepared to follow suit

I don't know I'm not even talking about marquee signings Newcastle, QPR, Chelsea haven't spent by the bucketload this transfer window they have all gone out and done business signed sealed and delivered in a budget we could match, Wenger himself has stated he has two targets he wants so why do we always seem to fall at the last hurdle or drag it out to a last ditch dive over the line to get deals done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

I don't know I'm not even talking about marquee signings Newcastle, QPR, Chelsea haven't spent by the bucketload this transfer window they have all gone out and done business signed sealed and delivered in a budget we could match, Wenger himself has stated he has two targets he wants so why do we always seem to fall at the last hurdle or drag it out to a last ditch dive over the line to get deals done.

Its because he is always trying to save every last penny.
    I know they have more money to spend but when Fergie identifies a player he seems to go and get the deal done...... no major faffing around.

Dont know if this has been posted already but here it is anyway just to give you all a giggle :D Goes back to my earlier comment

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2266326/Arsenal-fine-list-Per-Mertesacker-enforcer-Germans-make-money--Arsene-Wenger.html

Considering the money they are on, those fines are nothing unless you're on a youth contract.

Also, in football manager my players complain when given a warning, cant imagine how they'd react if they were fined for everything! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Have Chelsea signed anyone apart from Ba?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

meriwether wrote: »
    Gourcuff is another mediocrity. A good option, if your first choice is misisng.

Sadly, we don't have that first choice of any quality any more.

To put this in perspective:

Pires ---Vieira --Berty --- Ljungberg

Bergkamp
    Henry----

Coquelin, Diaby, Walcott and Giroud would be reasonable back up for these guys at best.

The only genuine class in the team is Wilshere, Gibbs and Santi.

We need a top goalscorer, and sharpish.

Shocked that this has not been commented on, surely a defenders primary job is to defend?? The best FB at the club at the minute hasn't seen game time in weeks :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

keano_afc wrote: »
    Must. Not. Comment....

Ah here. I dont agree. We shouldnt have sold him. We didnt need the money and he was under contract. It's a decision that showed the club to be a spineless money grabbing outfit and looks like it might cost us CL football this season.

It wouldn't have been too bad if the money was re-invested but that simply is too much to hope for. So I actually agree with you.

• Advertisement

Shocked that this has not been commented on, surely a defenders primary job is to defend?? The best FB at the club at the minute hasn't seen game time in weeks :eek:

Santos? :eek:

:P

Have Chelsea signed anyone apart from Ba?

No but they picked there target went out and got it done and dusted quick enough, something sadly we very rarely seem to do. Also in Ba imo they got one of the best strikers in the league for a great price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Not at the moment he isn't - give it a couple of years maybe

meriwether wrote: »
    Gourcuff is another mediocrity. A good option, if your first choice is misisng.

Sadly, we don't have that first choice of any quality any more.

To put this in perspective:

Pires ---Vieira --Berty --- Ljungberg

Bergkamp
    Henry----

Coquelin, Diaby, Walcott and Giroud would be reasonable back up for these guys at best.

The only genuine class in the team is Wilshere, Gibbs and Santi.

We need a top goalscorer, and sharpish.

Gibbs fantastic going forward but gets caught up the field napping more then enough.

Is it easy in hindsight to look at Cisse and Ba though and ask'Why didnt Wenger go for them?'

I mean it was a well kept secret that Ba has a dodgy leg that could go at any minute. That fact was drowned by all the hype and hysteria about him. Dont get me wrong, good player but the dodgy leg explained the 7m clause Newcastle had in his contract.

There is also other mitigating factors. Some of these players that have a knockdown transfer price either demand unreasonable wages or clauses in the contracts. They may have 1 or more agents on board like Anelka or Ba who are looking for a large piece of the pie.

Im not so sure its as cut and thrust as we think anymore

• Advertisement

Is it easy in hindsight to look at Cisse and Ba though and ask'Why didnt Wenger go for them?'

I mean it was a well kept secret that Ba has a dodgy leg that could go at any minute. That fact was drowned by all the hype and hysteria about him. Dont get me wrong, good player but the dodgy leg explained the 7m clause Newcastle had in his contract.

There is also other mitigating factors. Some of these players that have a knockdown transfer price either demand unreasonable wages or clauses in the contracts. They may have 1 or more agents on board like Anelka or Ba who are looking for a large piece of the pie.

Im not sure I buy this well documented dodgy knee thing that get floated around about Ba it cant be that dodgy if he passed medicals and both Newcastle and Chelsea and as far as I can remember he had no lengthly lay off whilst at Newcastle.

Its said after agent fees were paid Ba's fee worked out at 12 million not exactly bank busting, besides im only using him or Remy at QPR how other clubs go out and get business done and we always seem to take an age to get ours done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Frisbee wrote: »
    Hahahahaha, we'd be lucky to get 2M for them combined, never mind 20.

What when Torres was bought for 50m?

if Torres can be bougth for 20m, a combined fee for chamack and ashavin for 20m is doable!

have faith

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

if Torres can be bougth for 20m, a combined fee for chamack and ashavin for 20m is doable!

have faith

Despite his crap current form Torres is a proven goal scorer at the highest level. Chamakh is worth 5 million tops, arshavin is out of contract soon (isn't he?) so essentially worth nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

have faith

It seriously isn't

have faith

Would you be interested in buying some magic beans?

We'd be lucky to get much more than £20m for all the dead weight combined.

Chamakh, Arshavin, Park, Denilson, Squillaci, Santos, Bendtner and Djourou.

Bendtner and Djourou are our best bets and even then £5m would be bite your hand off money.

And wait for it ..............................................................................

Gervinho scores the winner for the Ivory Coast :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

ronjo wrote: »
    Its because he is always trying to save every last penny.
    I know they have more money to spend but when Fergie identifies a player he seems to go and get the deal done...... no major faffing around.

Salas?

Kluivert?

Sneijder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭iainconlon12

have faith

Surely you're trolling?

I must be missing something here. Who are you referring to?

• Advertisement

Im not sure I buy this well documented dodgy knee thing that get floated around about Ba it cant be that dodgy if he passed medicals and both Newcastle and Chelsea and as far as I can remember he had no lengthly lay off whilst at Newcastle.

I'm pretty sure he actually failed the medical at Newcastle but they signed him anyway. Don't know about Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Would you be interested in buying some magic beans?

Give him time to come down off the disco biscuits first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I must be missing something here. Who are you referring to?
    I would hazard a guess at Jenkinson??

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I would hazard a guess at Jenkinson??

That's what I was thinking. I wouldn't agree personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

That's what I was thinking. I wouldn't agree personally.

Yes I was referring to Jenkinson and TBH Sagna has been very poor with Sunday been th efinal straw imo, and as I alluded to earlier Gibbs is very weak defensively, deceptive because of he's great forrays into the opposition half but forgets to defend.

Jenkinson did very little wrong when he was covering for Sagna and can play anywhere across the back four.

The whole thing about Ba's knee is what seems to be blown out of proportion, even Wenger said himself he heard it's not as bad as made out/he's coping with it well

the clause was actually inserted by Ba's people as Newcastle were only wanting to be paying him half his wages no matter what & the other half were dependant on him playing (them being scared of the knee), they agreed to this if they got the buyout clause inserted

From the transfer Ba was to get around £2/2.5mil of the 7/7.5 paid for him

Ba's agents, of which's there's 5 were said to have made around £2mil between them

Your in the right area about the agents and wages, it was said that this is common enough with African players as there almost obligated to look after their people and people back home

I've never seen him play anywhere other than RB. Has he played CH in the past? Great potential though, I think he'll mature into a top class full back. Reminds me of Dixon.

Jenkinson did very little wrong when he was covering for Sagna and can play anywhere across the back four.

Don't think so

he was brutal at LB last season, Sagna had to play there with Jenkinson RB at one stage

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Don't think so

he was brutal at LB last season, Sagna had to play there with Jenkinson RB at one stage

Thats what I was going to point out. He was woeful at LB the couple of times he played there. Dont recall seeing him at CB either but he is very good when played at RB. If he develops like he should, he'll be a quality player.

It's a shame Sagna's form is so bad, as I dont think Jenkinson is ready to be first choice for an extended period.

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »
    The whole thing about Ba's knee is what seems to be blown out of proportion, even Wenger said himself he heard it's not as bad as made out/he's coping with it well

the clause was actually inserted by Ba's people as Newcastle were only wanting to be paying him half his wages no matter what & the other half were dependant on him playing (them being scared of the knee), they agreed to this if they got the buyout clause inserted

From the transfer Ba was to get around £2/2.5mil of the 7/7.5 paid for him

Ba's agents, of which's there's 5 were said to have made around £2mil between them

Your in the right area about the agents and wages, it was said that this is common enough with African players as there almost obligated to look after their people and people back home

Thats just it though. Arsenal wouldnt pay any agent 2m let alone 5 agents 2m each on a point of prinicple and i actually dont blame them. A shower of parasites.

Make of this what you will, it's about all we have going!
    Llew Davies ‏@LlewAFC
    Guillem Balague on Revista de la Liga: Villa has tried to leave Barça. There was contact from Arsenal. Barça have said "no way".

Despite the "no way", it seems to be the general consensus that if we pay enough we'll get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

who is this guy??

oh yeah:

:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Thats just it though. Arsenal wouldnt pay any agent 2m let alone 5 agents 2m each on a point of prinicple and i actually dont blame them. A shower of parasites.

We can't get a forward like Ba though. Not if you've faith in giroud. Let the French guy get a run of games up top before bringing in another player.

What we need is the other forward - a tevez, ageuro, villa or Suarez. I'd love Suarez more than anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Yanga-Mbiwa has officially signed for Newcastle.

Cracking finish by the forehead.

• Advertisement

blobby360 wrote: »
    Yanga-Mbiwa has officially signed for Newcastle.

Four new players for Newcastle it seems.
    8 days left and still Mr. Nobody for Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I'd be lying, if I said I'm surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

bad2dabone wrote: »
    who is this guy??

oh yeah:

:pac::pac:

he missed that sitter on a cold night though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

If it was us who signed that four though we would still be giving out that none are world class. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Think we still might sign a couple, how good they will be is anyone's guess
    Reckon we will get diame haven't a clue who else

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement