Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Relax

Everything is gonna be ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Koscielny limped out of training today. Steve Bould had to fill in for him. It begins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Looking like we're going to be left holding our dicks this transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

So I hear Arsenal Ladies are good, anyone signed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

AdamD wrote: »
    Very debatable. 35m for him doesn't seems like good business, you can hardly say its the board's fault for being held to ransom by Madrid. If what we've read is true, there's no reason to believe that Madrid wouldn't have upped the price again had the met the valuation. Its extremely poor form to move the original valuation up after the other party has met it, at that point the negotiations are just a complete mess. The logic of it looks like: Higuain for 25m? Sure. Higuain for 30-35? Why not put an extra few million in and get a better player in Suarez. It is of course risky though.

I think I might be in the minority here but I'm more worried about the CB/DM issue. We have no proper Arteta backup/replacement and only 3 usable CBs which includes an injured Vermaelen. We scored a decent amount of goals last season and I can only see Giroud/Poldi/Ox/Wilshere improving their tallies and hopefully Walcott and Cazorla matching theirs from last season. The CB/DM issue should be a far easier one to solve too yet there seems to be no movement at all. I think I'm right in saying we've only been linked with Williams as a CB? Doubt we're even in for him either.

Also yet to see anything linking Madrid to Suarez, they seem more interested in Bale..

Also as much as I think the Higuain deal is dead for us, how many newspapers have reported us agreeing a fee only for nothing to happen? Its all just speculation really..

They can't afford Bale and they already have Isco and Jese on the left side. Don't you think they'll need a striker once they sell Higuain? They will absolutely go for Suarez if they sell Higuain to Napoli and if Higuain is sold, our goose is cooked. The club are idiots for seeing this scenario unfolding. Higuain is worth £30m and if they don't put in a bid we won't get any of our targets.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    You can't compare us to Man City, PSG etc. Any normal club would have pulled out just as we did once Real moved the goalposts.

We're talking about Napoli here. We shouldn't lose out on players to Napoli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

We're talking about Napoli here. We shouldn't lose out on players to Napoli.

They've sold Cavani for 50m+, they'll be able to out price us easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

TheGunns wrote: »
    They've sold Cavani for 50m+, they'll be able to out price us easy

We have about 200m more in revenues than Napoli, at a rough guess. They should never be able to out price us in anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

greendom wrote: »
    This Summer is getting increasingly difficult. Field day for the pessimists. At least someone is having fun.

Yeah, I have noticed at least one "Wenger out" supporter has started posting again, after being absent for a few months. Once you realise who it is, all their posts become ridiculously transparent and are an attempt to get support for his own agenda, rather than contributing to the thread or supporting Arsenal.

There are probably a few others with a similar agenda, but I have only noticed this poster in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Didn't they also come second in Serie-A? No reason he'd choose us over them if they stump up the cash to be honest. We shouldn't lose out on players to Napoli but if the club aren't prepared to pay the cash we will. We've had players choose spurs over us in recent seasons let's not forget and they're not even in the champion's league.

farna_boy wrote: »
    Yeah, I have noticed at least one "Wenger out" supporter has started posting again, after being absent for a few months. Once you realise who it is, all their posts become ridiculously transparent and are an attempt to get support for his own agenda, rather than contributing to the thread or supporting Arsenal.

There are probably a few others with a similar agenda, but I have only noticed this poster in particular.

I'm able to support Arsenal yet also see that Wenger's timidity in the transfer market is one of the main causes of our inevitable yet easily avoidable decline. I personally don't have an agenda but I'm fed up with some brainwashed 'job for life' fans who are delighted with fourth place. He shouldn't even be allowed go near that contract extension until the transfer market has closed, at the very least.

TBH the way things have unfolded with the Higuain saga, im actually glad were not getting involved in Real's bizarre game.

Fact is 25m (give or take 3m) was a fair and good price for him but they moved the goalpost so f*ck em. Leave the others pay over the odds if they are willing. You dont go on record as quoting one price for a player and then up that price. He couldn't have improved that much in a couple of weeks without having played a game. Id rather go hell for leather for Lewandowski then pay over the odds for Higuain and i think given the hassle that Suarez has given Liverpool they should be deliriously happy with 35m. Paltry and derisory my arse. Who would gamble anything near the 55m on a lad that is missing the first 6 games of the season (his second ban i might add)?

I'm disappointed with Gazidis choice of words at the AGM basically showing our financial hand as a means of political spin and that has put the club under extra pressure to buy, but the transfer market is as inflated as ever. Just as City and Chelsea were calming down, PSG and Monaco come weighing in. The madness will never end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Didn't they also come second in Serie-A? No reason he'd choose us over them if they stump up the cash to be honest. We shouldn't lose out on players to Napoli but if the club aren't prepared to pay the cash we will. We've had players choose spurs over us in recent seasons let's not forget and they're not even in the champion's league.

What players have chosen Spurs over Arsenal...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Vertonghen, and I'm pretty sure Bale did at the time he went to Spurs

The defender whose name escapes me right now

• Advertisement

I'm able to support Arsenal yet also see that Wenger's timidity in the transfer market is one of the main causes of our inevitable yet easily avoidable decline. I personally don't have an agenda but I'm fed up with some brainwashed 'job for life' fans who are delighted with fourth place. He shouldn't even be allowed go near that contract extension until the transfer market has closed, at the very least.

I dont blame Wenger. He has identified his targets but the board continue to try pull the wool over everyones eyes. These lads like Gazidis, Tom Fox, etc are great at negotiating sponsorships, but when it comes to dealing with players you'd wonder do they even know half of them.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

TheGunns wrote: »
    Vertonghen, and I'm pretty sure Bale did at the time he went to Spurs

Holtby too from what I've heard, but Vertonghen is the main example yeah.

Don't forget the Cazorla to Malaga deal too. We do this all the time. Once Rooney, Suarez and Higuain are off the market, I wonder what eejit we'll eventually plump for. Papiss Cisse? Remy? :rolleyes:

Cisse is no bad player. Not in the world class bracket like those we are linked with but would do well at Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

So Monreal kos and Verm injured?

Holtby too from what I've heard, but Vertonghen is the main example yeah.

To be honest if all these players that Tottenham beat us to were any good then why are they only in the Europa league next year despite having a 7 point lead over us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Well I wouldnt even have Holtby near our bench so I doubt we were in for him. By many accounts Vertonghen didn't fancy the fight for a first team slot so his decision may say more about him than Arsenal. I don't think we actually bid for Bale but even if we did that was how many years ago? If both clubs are fully in for a player I can't see Spurs being the first choice.

To be honest if all these players that Tottenham beat us to were any good then why are they only in the Europa league next year despite having a 7 point lead over us?

That logic is very flawed for me, sure Podolski came from a team that got relegated didn't he? Team performance and player ability are two different things in my eyes, I think Vertonghen at least would have been a great siging for us and still would be.

That logic is very flawed for me, sure Podolski came from a team that got relegated didn't he? Team performance and player ability are two different things in my eyes, I think Vertonghen at least would have been a great siging for us and still would be.

Oh Ive no doubt that individually all are decent players but they beat us to what 6 or 7 players in the market and yet despite this they are still behind us in the table.

I mean thats a good few on their squad that they have beaten us too and it didnt make much difference to their standing. Perhaps this season coming as their squad settles it might but tbh i wont hold my breath

I suppose the overall point im trying to make is that if Bale, Verthonghen, Holtby, Lloris, and throw Adebayor into the equation would it make a difference to our standing?

Oh Ive no doubt that individually all are decent players but they beat us to what 6 or 7 players in the market and yet despite this they are still behind us in the table.

I mean thats a good few on their squad that they have beaten us too and it didnt make much difference to their standing. Perhaps this season coming as their squad settles it might but tbh i wont hold my breath

Ah yeah I don't disagree with you tbh. I was just trying to say just because we might see ourselves as a more appetising destination for a player than the likes of Napoli it doesn't mean the player will see it that way.

Ah yeah I don't disagree with you tbh. I was just trying to say just because we might see ourselves as a more appetising destination for a player than the likes of Napoli it doesn't mean the player will see it that way.

And your spot on. Most players see one thing only

£££££££££££££££££

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Ge2u7fX.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Could hardly call our football last season as beautiful. Painful to look at for the most part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We have about 200m more in revenues than Napoli, at a rough guess. They should never be able to out price us in anything.

The problem seems to be that they are willing to spend their money. We are not. Same ole, same ole.

The problem seems to be that they are willing to spend their money. We are not. Same ole, same ole.

Gazidis made an awful blunder with his comments practically showing our hand but some of the clubs like Real are acting the total mickey. Liverpool i could understand wish to keep Suarez but Real accepted Higuain's transfer request when he asked to leave so dont value him as much as they let on. They are behaving like right dicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

€30m seems to be the rumoured fee Napoli are paying, much, much less than the £37m that was banded around a week ago.

€30m is less than £26m

Why not just go and offer £26/27m and let Higuain decide. Arsenal have absolutely nothing to lose by doing this.

EDIT: Never mind, Looks to be £30m not €30m

• Advertisement

€30m seems to be the rumoured fee Napoli are paying, much, much less than the £37m that was banded around a week ago.

€30m is less than £26m

Why not just go and offer £26/27m and let Higuain decide. Arsenal have absolutely nothing to lose by doing this.

EDIT: Never mind, Looks to be £30m not €30m

Who cares if its 30 million pounds or 30 million sterling just pay it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Who cares if its 30 million pounds or 30 million sterling just pay it!

easy to say when its not your money, nor dealing with a club who may be screwing you in these dealings and when its all just rumours with regards any figures atm which have seemingly been rumoured to go up to 37m sterling from what ive read.

I would hope from an Arsenal perspective that Napoli think the fee is too high too as they want to finance a stadium atm iirc and instead plump for someone like Damiao who is linked to them also. Then Madrid get a bit more desperate with Arsenal bidding for Suarez and him looking a bit more likely to stay in Liverpool too the longer Madrid dont bid and he is back on Merseyside. This leads them to accept a lower valuation like originally talked about for Higuain who eventually gets his move to Arsenal without them being completely screwed over

easy to say when its not your money, nor dealing with a club who may be screwing you in these dealings and when its all just rumours with regards any figures atm which have seemingly been rumoured to go up to 37m sterling from what ive read.

I would hope from an Arsenal perspective that Napoli think the fee is too high too as they want to finance a stadium atm iirc and instead plump for someone like Damiao who is linked to them also. Then Madrid get a bit more desperate with Arsenal bidding for Suarez and him looking a bit more likely to stay in Liverpool too the longer Madrid dont bid and he is back on Merseyside. This leads them to accept a lower valuation like originally talked about for Higuain who eventually gets his move to Arsenal without them being completely screwed over

No its not my money still doesn't mean don't want the club to get top players.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

No its not my money still doesn't mean don't want the club to get top players.

of course not and maybe cos I'm not an Arsenal fan I have a different perspective but all the figures are just rumoured ones but they range from around 23-27m euro being an agreed price before a bid was made to Madrid upping their price to up to 37m sterling and I can certainly see why Arsenal wouldnt want to do a deal like that with Madrid.

of course not and maybe cos I'm not an Arsenal fan I have a different perspective but all the figures are just rumoured ones but they range from around 23-27m euro being an agreed price before a bid was made to Madrid upping their price to up to 37m sterling and I can certainly see why Arsenal wouldnt want to do a deal like that with Madrid.

Seems to me that Real only upped the price after buying Illarmendi. I imagine they realised how much they need to prise away Suarez. So if we don't pay their Higuain price but someone else (Napoli) does, they'll get Suarez and we'll be left holding our dicks. Which as things are panning out, is exactly what will happen. I don't like Arsenal fans already trying to spin this summer as "we tried our best/we made the right decision"; I don't wanna hear that for the next 12 months.

I can see why people think that Madrid can go f**k themselves after riasing the price but at the end of the day, it's a seller's market and Madrid are in a position were they don't need to sell Higuain to free up space for their many strikers and they don't need to sell cheap to raise funds.

I know Arsenal thought they had a deal going for what was supposedly £22-24m but now they don't.

The best option for Arsenal, in my opinion, is to make a public "take it or leave it" offer of around £28-30m and leave it at that. If they accept, grand, if they look for anything more then leave it.

This will probably never happen of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

The best option for Arsenal, in my opinion, is to make a public "take it or leave it" offer of around £28-30m and leave it at that. If they accept, grand, if they look for anything more then leave it.

This will probably never happen of course.

This makes sense to me but I fear we've put our eggs in the suarez basket. I'd prefer the hig. Although suarez is talented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

bad2dabone wrote: »
    This makes sense to me but I fear we've put our eggs in the suarez basket. I'd prefer the hig. Although suarez is talented.

I'm a Liverpool fan but no big fan of Suarez as such. I just can't see him seriously considering Arsenal. I think he is using Arsenals interest to spur Real into action. It makes no sense for him to leave Liverpool for Arsenal. Who despite being a better team than Liverpool and in the CL, are still in England, where he is constantly under scrutiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

And your spot on. Most players see one thing only

£££££££££££££££££

Do Napoli pay big wages? Genuinely I wouldn't know but César's wage demands were seen to be too high for Napoli.
    "Julio does not want his wages to be cut," he told Radio Crc. "It's already asking a lot for him to move to Napoli and receive the same money he was getting at QPR without asking for a rise.

"The final word will be down to president De Laurentiis. We've not yet reached an agreement with the club on the goalkeeper's salary. They've made me an offer, but it was too far away from what my client is currently on."

They have money to spend on transfer fees but wages wise I'd say Arsenal would be offering similar wages if not more than them.

Opr

• Advertisement

opr wrote: »
    Do Napoli pay big wages? Genuinely I wouldn't know but César's wage demands were seen to be too high for Napoli.

They have money to spend on transfer fees but wages wise I'd say Arsenal would be offering similar wages if not more than them.

Opr

At the beginning of last season (2012/2013) Napoli's wage bill was a mere €53.2m with Cavani being their highest earner at €4.5m.

This is less than £46m per year, which is substantially lower than Arsenal's wage bill which is upwards of £130m. (Or at least it was before Santos etc. left recently)

Almost £100m higher than Napoli's :eek:

So it's definitely not about the wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

They have apparently offered an extra million a year to the player and have rather oddly given DeLaurentis insistence on control over his players image rights offered him the option of controlling his own image rights in Argentina. I still cannot see him at Napoli though. Looks like Zuniga will end up at Juve and Matri will come the other way. The fans wont be happy but I can see DeLaurentis being happy enough with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

If Higuain goes to Napoli for the sake of an extra few million ill fcuking snap!!! I am beginning to think we just bid for players a few million under there valuation knowing we will get refused and then coming out with the line "we tried our best but were been held to ransom". We will continue to win fuuck all unless we change our transfer policy!

opr wrote: »

Opr

They've a bit of a war-chest now with the sale of Cavani so might be willing to throw a carrot or two extra with the change especially if they are going for a top calibre striker

They've a bit of a war-chest now with the sale of Cavani so might be willing to throw a carrot or two extra with the change especially if they are going for a top calibre striker

What about the war chest we still have from the Van Persie sale??

Gringo180 wrote: »
    If Higuain goes to Napoli for the sake of an extra few million ill fcuking snap!!! I am beginning to think we just bid for players a few million under there valuation knowing we will get refused and then coming out with the line "we tried our best but were been held to ransom". We will continue to win fuuck all unless we change our transfer policy!

Seems to be working with some of the fans who think its crazy just to pay the asking price for higuan, like we should care about the price.

If the player will improve the team just pay the money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Gringo180 wrote: »
    What about the war chest we still have from the Van Persie sale??

That cash is earning a cool 3.75% interest

Sky Italia apparently confirming that Napoli's bid has been accepted. €37m plus €3m bonuses. Striker yet to consent (@Dylan_Fahy).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Can ye stop saying 'war chest' I feel like I'm reading some tabloid garbage. It's so cringey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Sky Italia apparently confirming that Napoli's bid has been accepted. €37m plus €3m bonuses. Striker yet to consent (@Dylan_Fahy).

I don't think he is worth that type of money

Seems to be working with some of the fans who think its crazy just to pay the asking price for higuan, like we should care about the price.

If the player will improve the team just pay the money

Exactly sure we payed over the odds for the likes of Reyes and Wiltord but by jaysus did they improve our team, i think some fans are more worried about the bank balance than the quality of the team. Were ****e lads i remember watching us and thinking we were capable of beating anybody but those days are long gone. We were poxed to get champs lge again this season although we went on a great run I honestly cant remember one performence that sticks out as been very good.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement