Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Galvasean wrote: »

Two crap benchwarmers out - one quality player who will walk into the starting 11 in. Sounds like an improvement to me.

What happens if we pick up a few injuries if we weren't going to replace we should have held onto them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Galvasean wrote: »
    So, Gooners complain about dead weight clogging up our wage bill, then complain about Wenger shipping them out to free up wages to bring in a player of proven quality?
    Sometimes I think some fans want us to fail.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting we're weaker. Just saying these players are no longer there as per your question!

I'm delighted they're gone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

How is the squad stronger its def weaker

We have gotten rid of dead weight and signed a genuine international class Left FB, are you trolling??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

What happens if we pick up a few injuries if we weren't going to replace we should have held onto them

If we didn't ship them out we wouldn't have been able to put Monreal on the wage bill. We can't have it both ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

The 2 out and 1 in makes us stronger we have added to the first 11, we need to sign players to push first 11 out to bench and deadwood out of club

We have gotten rid of dead weight and signed a genuine international class Left FB, are you trolling??

Out SQUAD is weaker I said not TEAM
    We get a few injuries were fooked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

L'prof wrote: »

Who sh[COLOR="Black"]a[/COLOR]t in your cornflakes? I don't have SSN!
    Ha sorry, I thought you were disagreeing with me. I went into defence mode (should sign for arsenal wha!). The palace guy was just giving some decent insight to transfers I thought. Not licking everyone's arse as is the common way with sky.

danlen wrote: »

If we didn't ship them out we wouldn't have been able to put Monreal on the wage bill. We can't have it both ways.

Not true if Gibbs didn't get I injured this deal was gonna happen in the summer

By being one player lighter?

When you weigh up the risk-benefit, I think that is a chance well worth taking.

• Advertisement

If they stayed and we had to play them we'd be fcukd anyway.

We made one of the biggest individual signing of the window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Great Signing. An extra CB would have helped for cover and maybe a CF but lets get behind this team, its good enough for fourth easily!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Chamakh and Djourou were what made having a few injuries a crisis.

Unsure about the cb position right now in terms of what young players could go in or if soneone like Sagna could deputise there but chamakh was worthless to us. We've at least five better options for that position.

Soups123 wrote: »
    If they stayed and we had to play them we'd be fcukd anyway.
    We made one of the biggest individual signing of the window

Maybe true but it's better to have someone than literally have no one there
    Wenger is after gambling massively again by not adding in key areas where it's needed
    Another transfer window fooked up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The LB position was the weak link for the last few years. Hopefully its fixed now.
    Maybe the center backs can concentrate on their own positions better now.
    Let Jenkinson in and rest Sagna and we could be sorted.

Onwards and upwards the Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

feck it this morning i thought we'd sign nobody and were stuck with santos as LB. Much happier now.
    And Nacho and Santi are mates.

Friend.....football friend...

gosplan wrote: »

Chamakh and Djourou were what made having a few injuries a crisis.

Unsure about the cb position right now in terms of what young players could go in or if soneone like Sagna could deputise there but chamakh was worthless to us. We've at least five better options for that position.

I don't really rate chamak either but if giroud gets Injured we're left with gervinho/Walcott up front there not good enough either
    I'm just saying keep him give us an option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Lets be happy lads,this one signing wouldn't have happend if Gibbs wasn't injured,least we have someone there instead of Santos.

Maybe true but it's better to have someone than literally have no one there
    Wenger is after gambling massively again by not adding in key areas where it's needed
    Another transfer window fooked up
    I think LB was a key area needed our 3 CBs are good enough to up there game, the two left backs 1 **** and one unreliable. So we got the most needed in

Forwardwise we seem to be clicking so can live with what we got there

A DCM by trade would have been nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Transfer window shut? Thought we had another hour. Ah well, can't see this one signing helping our cause too much. Is he cup tied for Europe too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Very interesting signing though.

Gibbs is the type of player Wenger sticks with. His actions were always 'I believe in you, you can do it'.

Now he's basically saying 'I've replaced you, now get fit and fight for your place if you can'

I guess it's been a while since we've seen the team put before someone's individual development. I like it.

That Arsne, is how you do two players for one position. Good stuff.

Anyway wrecked after travelling home from the game, pretty pissed off with the way the club is been run
    Had a good rant got it off my chest
    Back to supporting the team tomorrow
    Night all :)

What about the whole Sagna/Jenkinson situation lads? I've been scratching my head at Sagnas inclusion a lot of times this season because of his drop in form. Jenkinson had come on an awful lot too.

L'prof wrote: »
    What about the whole Sagna/Jenkinson situation lads? I've been scratching my head at Sagnas inclusion a lot of times this season because of his drop in form. Jenkinson had come on an awful lot too.

Sagna completely off the boil. Can't even cross now and slipping all over the field the last few games. Can see this as his last season. We will need a big summer spend especially if we throw away 4th.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sure he'll be a good signing but it's not enough, we needed another player or two imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

we are still going to get ripped apart at LB by bayern as santos will still start. nacho is cup tied in the CL :(

darego wrote: »
    we are still going to get ripped apart at LB by bayern as santos will still start. nacho is cup tied in the CL :(

Someone said he was not. Are you sure he is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

darego wrote: »

I'd say TV will play there for those games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Afobe is back, Monreal has signed.

Djourou and Chamakh have left.

2 for 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I really couldn't care less about the rest of this season's CL.

For me this signing will benefit us in the league which is where our real challenge lies this year

• Advertisement

yes he played for Malaga in the CL

He is unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Quazzie wrote: »
    I really couldn't care less about the rest of this season's CL.

For me this signing will benefit us in the league which is where our real challenge lies this year

Agreed, the league is our realistic priority. If we don't finish in the top four then we won't attract the types of players we need to. Unfortunately even if we got a big name CF and CD we would not be in a position to win the CL.

Is one player not allowed back in for each club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Inother news, heard today that Lehmann is with us for coaching badges. Imagine him being your manager! He'd rip your head off for being late, no fines needed :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭iainconlon12

All in all it wasn't the worst window. We managed to tie down theo and solve our LB problem. Of course we still need a new striker and CB. All we can do now is just hope for the best with what we have.

i'm happy that we even made a singing being honest. and LB was our most needed spot to get a replacement in so good shtuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/man-of-the-match-v-liverpool-giroud

What smartass voted for Santos as the Man Of the Match? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Happy with the Monreal signing at least we have two decent LB's now.

But this transfer window was a disaster only reason we signed Monreal before the transfer window was because Gibbs got injured so once again it took an injury to force Wenger and the board to actually sign a player. We still have weaknesses all over the pitch we were told in the summer if money wasn't spent in the summer it would be spent in January once again Wenger trolled us. One positive is Geoffarsenal still says the 30 million bid is still ongoing and it wont be the lt we hear of it, time will tell.

For me it's crazy how many people seem to be just settling into the mediocrity of Arsenal these days and accepting of the current situation and if your not happy with it your branded a moaner.

Come match day I will always cheer on Arsenal as loud as I can regardless of were we are in the league but that lets not be blind to our faults either.

Fourth is certainly a strong possibility Wenger needs to get this team on form quick though and sort the defense out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Happy we signed Monreal but the fact we did so late is worrying.

If Gibbs hadn't got injured until our next game would we have still bought Monreal? Doubtful. Just shows how reactive we were in the transfer market instead of being proactive which is what we really needed to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Happy we got a good proven player in, but disappointed that the business was only done because Gibbs got injured. This "I want to add 2 players to the squad" was simply not true. Shipping 2 players off the wage bill had nothing to do with getting Monreal in as I'd be fairly sure we're still paying part of Chamakh and Djourou's wages.

The question we were always going to ask on Feb 1st was are we now better equipped to challenge for top 4? Not really sure to be honest. Would have preferred to see a combative midfielder to protect a woefully fragile back 5 as well as the LB. We had plenty of time to do it, Song left last summer and we really should have spent the months identifying a replacement.

Cant help feeling this is an opportunity missed, and a risky strategy by Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Frisbee wrote: »
    Happy we signed Monreal but the fact we did so late is worrying.

If Gibbs hadn't got injured until our next game would we have still bought Monreal? Doubtful. Just shows how reactive we were in the transfer market instead of being proactive which is what we really needed to be.

No the plan was to bring him over in the summer. Shows how long some of these deals take, (or how long it takes for Arsenal to make a transfer)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

So when does everyone think we'll see Monreal in action? He's able to play tomorrow but I doubt Wenger will throw him into the frame this soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Redzer7 wrote: »
    So when does everyone think we'll see Monreal in action? He's able to play tomorrow but I doubt Wenger will throw him into the frame this soon.

I can see verm playing left back, though id say he'll throw nacho on when we're winning comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Winning comfortably against Stoke :eek: brave man :pac:.
    Gibbs out for up to six weeks with a thigh injury.

Biggest call tomorrow do we drop Ramsey tomorrow for arteta
    Verm is doubtful so kos in
    Nacho has to start

I'm gone all fanboy on Ramsey so I would keep him in :)

Happy with the Monreal signing at least we have two decent LB's now.

But this transfer window was a disaster only reason we signed Monreal before the transfer window was because Gibbs got injured so once again it took an injury to force Wenger and the board to actually sign a player. We still have weaknesses all over the pitch we were told in the summer if money wasn't spent in the summer it would be spent in January once again Wenger trolled us. One positive is Geoffarsenal still says the 30 million bid is still ongoing and it wont be the lt we hear of it, time will tell.

For me it's crazy how many people seem to be just settling into the mediocrity of Arsenal these days and accepting of the current situation and if your not happy with it your branded a moaner.

Come match day I will always cheer on Arsenal as loud as I can regardless of were we are in the league but that lets not be blind to our faults either.

Fourth is certainly a strong possibility Wenger needs to get this team on form quick though and sort the defense out.

In fairness though January is a horrendous time to try and sign big players. Teams are just more unlikely to allow star names to leave mid-season. I would be pretty certain at this stage that we were trying hard to sign Villa but if Barca flat out refuse to sell what do you do?

While I'm sure everyone will agree with you that we need more quality players all over the pitch, it wouldn't make sense to spend £20m+ on a player now that isn't really who we want to sign.

I'm struggling to think of a genuinely top-class player who their club would have agreed to sell mid-season. Villa? Fellaini? Gotze? Cavani? With all of the respective clubs there going strong and facing an important run-in, there just isn't a hope of getting them, unless you offer stupid money. Apart from Balotelli, what other big moves have there been?

Saying that, this summer really is the last chance for AW and this board to do something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

danlen wrote: »

Saying that, this summer really is the last chance for AW and this board to do something.
    They need to get their act together in the first few weeks of the summer too, and have players starting their pre-season with us, otherwise fans are going to turn if it drags on through the summer.

Quazzie wrote: »
    They need to get their act together in the first few weeks of the summer too, and have players starting their pre-season with us, otherwise fans are going to turn if it drags on through the summer.
    Groundhog day,its a great film,a must watch,especially after 3 times...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Biggest call tomorrow do we drop Ramsey tomorrow for arteta
    Verm is doubtful so kos in
    Nacho has to start

I'm gone all fanboy on Ramsey so I would keep him in :)

He might go for diaby for a more physical presence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement