Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone else notice the poor passing from Chamberlain and Walcott today?
    Tried hard but couldn't pass to one of our own in a fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Walcott 18 (11)
    Giroud 14 (9)
    Podolski 12 (8)
    Cazorla 8 (8)
    Gervinho 5 (3)
    Arteta 4 (4)
    Mr. Owen Goal 3 (3)
    Chamakh 2 (0)
    Koscielny 2 (1)
    Oxlade-Chamberlain 2 (1)
    Wilshere 2 (0)
    Arshavin 1 (0)
    Gibbs 1 (0)
    Mertesacker 1 (1)
    Miquel 1 (0)
    Ramsey 1 (0)
    Rosicky 1 (0)
    Vermaelen 1 (0)

(League goals in brackets)

This is assuming Pod's goal was accredited to him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Galvasean wrote: »
    Walcott 18 (11)
    Giroud 14 (9)
    Podolski 12 (8)
    Cazorla 8 (8)
    Gervinho 5 (3)
    Arteta 4 (4)
    Mr. Owen Goal 3 (3)
    Chamakh 2 (0)
    Koscielny 2 (1)
    Oxlade-Chamberlain 2 (1)
    Wilshere 2 (0)
    Arshavin 1 (0)
    Gibbs 1 (0)
    Mertesacker 1 (1)
    Miquel 1 (0)
    Ramsey 1 (0)
    Rosicky 1 (0)
    Vermaelen 1 (0)

(League goals in brackets)

This is assuming Pod's goal was accredited to him?

Well "Owen" was very keen on getting a goal but I really hope he doesn't get credited with it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Was on target so will be Pod's for sure. Would only be Owen's if he deflected a ball in that wasn't going in, such as a cross.

Just watched the goal on arsenalist.com. Definitely on target. No question that it's pod's goal.

Sorry Owen!

• Advertisement

Cazorla didn't enjoy coming on off the bench. Took him a while to get into the game.

Have to say the list makes for great reading. Remember all the papers after the last Stoke game,"who will score for them now!?". I'd love to see it compared with same list from this time last season.

Just had a look at the league table on this date last year, we were in 6th on 37 and Sperz were in 3rd on 49!

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Have to say the list makes for great reading. Remember all the papers after the last Stoke game,"who will score for them now!?". I'd love to see it compared with same list from this time last season.

Just had a look at the league table on this date last year, we were in 6th on 37 and Sperz were in 3rd on 49!

How many games had each team played ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Lukas-Podolski.com ‏@Podolski10
    Great victory, we needed the 3 points, thanks a lot for the reception was an amazing atmosphere. Love you #Gunners

Love this guy!

greendom wrote: »
    How many games had each team played ?

Only 23. We were actually in 7th...

Club P W D L GD PTS
    Man City 23 17 3 3 41 54
    Man Utd 23 17 3 3 35 54
    Tottenham 23 15 4 4 19 49
    Chelsea 23 12 6 5 15 42
    Newcastle 23 11 6 6 4 39
    Liverpool 23 10 8 5 7 38
    Arsenal 23 11 4 8 6 37

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You can look at it two ways. Either the league has gotten more competitive or the quality has gone downhill. Even the top 2 teams can't keep a clean sheet to save their lives this season.

Quality's gone down over the last few seasons IMO, at least comparatively. Only 2 English teams each of the last 2 seasons getting through the groups in the CL is my evidence. :pac:

Quality's gone down over the last few seasons IMO, at least comparatively. Only 2 English teams each of the last 2 seasons getting through the groups in the CL is my evidence. :pac:

Not sure I can agree. You only have to look at the amount of money the likes of QPR and Newcastle have spent in the past month. There's been a rise of the sort of thing pioneered by Sam Allardyce, teams set up with one purpose: to frustrate the opposition, get loads of draws and a couple of wins and ensure they just stay in the Premier League. Stoke, West Ham, Fulham, Norwich all fall in that category. There's international talent of some description at every team in the league also.

The CL comparison doesn't work. 1 it's a cup so technically anything can happen and 2 look at Spain. Barca and Madrid you can be sure at least one of them will be in the final, but half of their league is going out of business and the bottom half teams are little more than cannon fodder. The Prem was arguably more like that from 96-04 when us and the Mancs were the only teams competing for the title.

Not sure I can agree. You only have to look at the amount of money the likes of QPR and Newcastle have spent in the past month. There's been a rise of the sort of thing pioneered by Sam Allardyce, teams set up with one purpose: to frustrate the opposition, get loads of draws and a couple of wins and ensure they just stay in the Premier League. Stoke, West Ham, Fulham, Norwich all fall in that category. There's international talent of some description at every team in the league also.
    I don't think the top 2 look anywhere near as impressive this season and it's not just down to improvements in other teams in the PL, they're looked frail in the CL as well.
    The CL comparison doesn't work. 1 it's a cup so technically anything can happen and 2 look at Spain. Barca and Madrid you can be sure at least one of them will be in the final, but half of their league is going out of business and the bottom half teams are little more than cannon fodder. The Prem was arguably more like that from 96-04 when us and the Mancs were the only teams competing for the title.
    I can't see the point you're making taking Spain into it tbh. The top 2 are so far ahead and have been for a long time with another team occasionally making sortie into the top 2. I'm not arsed looking through it right now but start around 2001 or so and see the proportion of English teams qualifying through the groups.

EDIT: **** it sure, starting from the 2002-03 tournament:
    3/4 (1st group stage, Liverpool out)
    3/3
    4/4
    3/4 (United out, Liverpool and Chelsea through in the same group)
    4/4
    4/4
    4/4
    3/4 (Liverpool out)
    4/4
    2/4
    2/4

32/35 (91.4%) success before last season, 50% the last 2. United went out last season because they were caught out in Europe. In the PL they can just put on attacking players with no gameplan and roll them over. Chelsea had all the luck in the world in the CL last season and are out this year. City, well, tactics aren't a big thing with them. There's different reasons but Arsenal have gotten worse, or certainly less effective, over the last few seasons and I don't think it's because of a big increase in the quality of the PL.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Lukas-Podolski.com ‏@Podolski10
    Great victory, we needed the 3 points, thanks a lot for the reception was an amazing atmosphere. Love you #Gunners

Love this guy!

he's fast becoming my hero.
    Delighted with the win today, as has been mentioned Stoke is like a derby game for us now and we did well to win it. Begovic is a fine goalie, it could have been 4-0 without him.
    Monreal looked neat and tidy, as we all knew he would!
    Sunderland next, i fancy us for a win there and then on to beat blackburn en route to some silverware.

COME ON WEST BROM!!

bad2dabone wrote: »
    he's fast becoming my hero.
    Delighted with the win today, as has been mentioned Stoke is like a derby game for us now and we did well to win it. Begovic is a fine goalie, it could have been 4-0 without him.
    Monreal looked neat and tidy, as we all knew he would!
    Sunderland next, i fancy us for a win there and then on to beat blackburn en route to some silverware.

COME ON WEST BROM!!

He should be playing up front in pretty much a 4-4-2 I reckon.

I can't see the point you're making taking Spain into it tbh. The top 2 are so far ahead and have been for a long time with another team occasionally making sortie into the top 2. I'm not arsed looking through it right now but start around 2001 or so and see the proportion of English teams qualifying through the groups.

Point I'm making re Spain is that CL qualifiers progressing in that isn't a good indicator of the strength of the league, vast majority of teams never play in it and it's a Cup. Chelsea winning it last year was a fluke, Man U going out in the group was pretty much a one-off as well. City have the seeding system going against them, and couldn't really have drawn a worse group this year.

Having 3 out of 4 semi-finalists in 08 was a bit of a freak occurrence as well, but none of it really applies to the league. For a long time the bottom 10 or so teams were really just cannon fodder for the likes of us and Man U. That's not the case any more, there's at least one shock result every week and it's getting more towards the point when any team can really get a result off anyone on their day. That shows the improvement of the lower clubs in my opinion and the league is a more competitive place than it was.

Point I'm making re Spain is that CL qualifiers progressing in that isn't a good indicator of the strength of the league, vast majority of teams never play in it and it's a Cup. Chelsea winning it last year was a fluke, Man U going out in the group was pretty much a one-off as well. City have the seeding system going against them, and couldn't really have drawn a worse group this year.

Having 3 out of 4 semi-finalists in 08 was a bit of a freak occurrence as well, but none of it really applies to the league. For a long time the bottom 10 or so teams were really just cannon fodder for the likes of us and Man U. That's not the case any more, there's at least one shock result every week and it's getting more towards the point when any team can really get a result off anyone on their day. That shows the improvement of the lower clubs in my opinion and the league is a more competitive place than it was.
    In comparison to the last decade the top clubs in England aren't doing as well in Europe in the last 2 years. Comparatively English clubs are weaker in Europe than they were recently. I think it's fair to assume that they won't do as well against mid-table PL clubs on a long-term basis if we accept that premise, even without any of those mid-table clubs improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Just watched it on football first, was expecting it to be sh*t after seeing the score but in fairness Begovic was superb. Was a very good performance, Wilshire was excellent again, we gave as good as we got physically, Giroud whilst he didn't score I think he is eventually going to be quality for us.

Lastly I fcukin hate Tony Pullis such a Wiesel of a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Pulis is hilarious. How he can have any issue with that goal is beyond me.

1: Giroud is actually onside by about 2 yards
    2: It doesn't even hit him (or come close actually)

Bizarre man. Had to laugh when he claimed that they deserved something out of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Pulis comes across as a stubborn fool,
    really really dislike Stoke as a "football" team

• Advertisement

I really hope Wilshere sticks with Arsenal but doesn't become "our" Steven Gerrard. He deserves more than what we've done for the last 7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Buttonftw wrote: »
    I really hope Wilshere sticks with Arsenal but doesn't become "our" Steven Gerrard. He deserves more than what we've done for the last 7 years.

Weather he deserves more or not I'd love him to stay forever.
    And I would rather you liken him to this generations Tony Adams :):)

Weather he deserves more or not I'd love him to stay forever.
    And I would rather you liken him to this generations Tony Adams :):)

If he hangs around for another 10 years while we do **** all then I think what I said would come true. Like I said, hope it doesn't.
    I also don't think there's any question that he deserves better than what Arsenal have done in the last 7 years, i.e., **** all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

The best way to gauge this is to look at final points tallies from seasons gone by, obviously we don't know how this season will finish up but the league has certainly become more uncompetitive in the last decade with the champions hitting the 85 -90 point mark on a regular basis in comparison to a 75 -80 mark in the 90s.

On a completely different point,I always cringe at the comments about the premier league being the best in the world that regularly appear on the BBC website, I mean unless these people are regularly watching the other leagues around the world, how do they know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

"One nil to the football team"

LOL go on the gooners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭G1032

Barlett wrote: »
    On a completely different point,I always cringe at the comments about the premier league being the best in the world that regularly appear on the BBC website, I mean unless these people are regularly watching the other leagues around the world, how do they know?

Just to be the Devils advocate here..... Maybe they are regularly watching the other leagues around the world!!

What league or leagues are better? Spanish? Only two teams can compete for the title.
    Germany? Don't watch enough of it to know what it's like.
    Italy? Not exactly in its healthiest state ever!!
    South American leagues? Again, like Germany, I don't know enough to give an informed opinion.

Anyway ultimately I don't care whether or not it's the best league in the world.
    It's good to watch and is generally very entertaining. Maybe it is the best league and maybe it isn't. But if one claims its one or the other then they need to back up their assertions.

West Brom are awful to watch. Can't see anything but a Sp*rs 3 points I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

West Brom are awful to watch. Can't see anything but a Sp*rs 3 points I'm afraid.
    Defoe carried off. West Brom are alright well capable of a result here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Even if West Brom lose I fancy Newcastle to take points off them next week! Defoe could be out, no Adebayor, looks good!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Long should have buried that chance in the first few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

As most of us feel the armband has affected TV5s displays this season, does anyone think that the armband should be put on someone else? I know the logical though would be to put it on Wilshere but I would rather much put it on Arteta for now. Nothing against Jack he will have it eventually. I just feel putting it on a more experienced head would help the team overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Raf32 wrote: »
    As most of us feel the armband has affected TV5s displays this season, does anyone think that the armband should be put on someone else? I know the logical though would be to put it on Wilshere but I would rather much put it on Arteta for now. Nothing against Jack he will have it eventually. I just feel putting it on a more experienced head would help the team overall.

I don't think the armband has effected Verms form at all his form since last season when he came back from injury his form has been patchy at best. He should never have been given the armband in the first place as his form didn't merit it, and by giving him it you make him undroppable.

I would have no problem with Arteta been given it but for me If I was hand it to someone it would be Podolski or Jack.

Jack is still only 21.

I think we should wait for him to turn 23 at the minimum. He's still got a lot of learning to do.

I'd give it to Arteta for the next two years. Seems like a natural leader and undroppable when fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Jack is still only 21.

I think we should wait for him to turn 23 at the minimum. He's still got a lot of learning to do.

I'd give it to Arteta for the next two years. Seems like a natural leader and undroppable when fit.

Vieira was captain of Cannes at 21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Vermaelen shouldn't be captain purely because he's not a part of our strongest XI imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Popov :mad:

I wouldn't worry too much about Spuds. They will drop points as the season goes on, we just have to focus on our own performances and results. A good spanking for them at White Hart Lane in a few weeks will be vital to wobbling them as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Gervinho is coming back:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Maybe we can employ a hypnotist to make him think he's playing for the Ivory Coast and he might bring some of that form with him.

Arteta's a solid choice for Captain with Per and Poldi not too far behind. Not a big deal though imo, largely ceremonial if you have a half decent lad there. The only time it becomes an issue is when you give it to an ape like Gallas.

cson wrote: »
    Maybe we can employ a hypnotist to make him think he's playing for the Ivory Coast and he might bring some of that form with him.

:D

Worst is then he'll probably start laying on perfect passes for Yaya Toure when we are playing Man City

• Advertisement

Gervinho is coming back:)

How did he do at the ACN?

Galvasean wrote: »
    How did he do at the ACN?

Not sure. Think he got like two goals though.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Not sure. Think he got like two goals though.

At least one of them was absolutely fantastic too. Maybe confidence is his main problem.

If anyone is into their conspiracy theories. Would implicate Barca in the 2006 CL.

http://ergogenics.org/484.html

There's no appetite to expose things like that in football unfortunately.

If anyone is into their conspiracy theories. Would implicate Barca in the 2006 CL.

http://ergogenics.org/484.html

This is just starting - i'm sure the truth will out eventually

Out of curiosity (not that it'd happen), how would people feel if Barca were to be stripped and we were awarded the CL? Obviously be great to have the trophy but would be a wee bit anti climactic wouldn't it?

Out of curiosity (not that it'd happen), how would people feel if Barca were to be stripped and we were awarded the CL? Obviously be great to have the trophy but would be a wee bit anti climactic wouldn't it?

if it's proven then to be handed the trophy x many years later wouldn't really count for me. I'd really hope that Barca received a massive punishment though

greendom wrote: »
    if it's proven then to be handed the trophy x many years later wouldn't really count for me. I'd really hope that Barca received a massive punishment though

Meh. Same here.

At least we would be registered as winning it before Chelsea

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I'd take it :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement