Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

I wouldn't be criticising Giroud for shooting. F*ck knows we've had enough lads terrified to pull the trigger in recent years.

Santi was in the clear with no one around him. Slot him through and good chance we go two nil up and no more injury time palpitations. Instead Sunderland got one more chance where they could have scored.

You couldnt compare that chance with the one earlier in the year. Tbf Giroud has laid on savage assists this year but i cant help feeling he decided to take his own goal in response to Santi going for his own on one or two occasions when maybe the assist was on

Fair enough, I just saw the highlights so may have missed that thread but there's been other times this season where they've missed each other out and others when they haven't. I would hope Giroud isn't that petty because he's a 9/10 on looks and I'd be disappointed if his personality was less than 8/10 like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Haven't seen the highlights yet but when I was watching it live it seemed like Cazorla was going to be in a very similar position to Giroud had he have passed to him, and Cazorla had already blazed 2/3 chances over. Can't blame the centre forward for taking the shooting responsibility imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,445 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Just watched the highlights this morning as I was away yesterday.
    We played very well in the first half and hung on a bit in the second.
    Great to get the 3 points.
    I am putting Sunderland in the same bracket as Stoke now after watching C(l)attermole's attempts to cripple Wilshere in the first half. Hope this lot get relegated soon as they break their balls to beat us but roll over for the other top teams.
    Well done to all the players on show for us yesterday and for once our defence stood firm and faced the challenge.
    Very important win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Great win for us yesterday and good to get a clean sheet lets hope this can spur us on to gather some momentum together and go on a good run. Still dont think we will make top 4 tho :-(

Lads just on Wilshere, holy jaysus this boy is a genius he is in my opinion techniquelly the best midfielder ever to come out of England some might not agree but he is a level above Scholes was in his prime he just has that something special about him, the way he waltzes by players reminds me of Messi. Amazing talent and he is Arsenal true and true love the guy we can build something special around him :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I am putting Sunderland in the same bracket as Stoke now after watching C(l)attermole's attempts to cripple Wilshere in the first half. Hope this lot get relegated soon as they break their balls to beat us but roll over for the other top teams.
    Well done to all the players on show for us yesterday and for once our defence stood firm and faced the challenge.
    Very important win.
    That Catermole is a thug mate, hate seen players like him going around trying to break players up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

wilshere and cazorla on top form and scezney pulled off one or two great saves near the end

giroud was in posession a few times and was very slow with the ball he holds the ball up too much to be honest.
    i like giroud and think he is settling in nicely but needs to give us that bit more i think we can all agree.
    nice to get a win but we need a good run of form or we all will be watching 3e on thursday nights next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Sagna played well yesterday.

BUT, this has really exposed the insanity of loaning Djourou out and not replacing him. Wenger obviously doesn't have confidence in Squillaci (not even included in the match squad) or Miquel as he would sooner stick an experienced right back in the middle ahead of those two.

It worked today, mightn't go so well against Bayern or Tottenham if it were to come to that. Thank fcuk Verm and Kos are only short term injuries.

Anyway, moving from who Wenger didn't sign to who he did sign; Monreal is looking like a bargain so far, very happy with that bit of business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

At the rate City are going it looks like three spots are up for grabs! :pac:

I suspect Wenger grew board of easily finishing in the top four so has made it a challenge by giving opponents a head start :D

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

Have to say lads re Sanga yesterday, and I know its only one game. But imo he's the ideal partner for Mert in any game the big man has to start. Sanga has proved down through the years that he is a great recovery defender and should have the pace and the brains to cover Mert in his momentary lapses. Obviously not against Bayern, but maybe in the tough away games like yesterday it could be an option. There was something very early days Kolo Toure about him yesterday!

As regards Sunderland, their game plan yesterdays was just boot Arsenal and Wilshere. It was quite awful too watch! And this from a team that was managed by the man who was supposed to replace Ferguson a few years back? :rolleyes:

And what more can be said about Wilshere? Arsenal legend as it is already. The kid will be an all time great!

• Advertisement

There was once a time where we would bottle that game even with 11 men.
    Fans used to say, there are no divine rights to win, that really is pertinent to the league as it is today, look at Mancini yesterday, big LOL.
    Another top four finish on the cards for Wenger, but the team looks to be progressing for sure.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Giroud tried to remove Shezzers head yesterday:

proxy.jpg?t=FQQVBBg-aHR0cDovL2Zhcm05LnN0YXRpY2ZsaWNrci5jb20vODA5NS84NDU5NDQ5Njg0XzQxODVlYmM2ODdfei5qcGcUBBYAEgA&s=qN2Xj7LA5qY-P7hya-utLUsMLV9LQ2Ka4EbS8vGrYZk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I'm uncomfortable with saying this but it's important that Man U do us a favour this afternoon and beat Everton. 9 points clear and with Real Madrid coming up on Wednesday their focus might not be 100% on the game today. Hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

After 26 games last year
    P GD P
    3 Tottenham Hotspur 26 +21 53
    4 Arsenal 26 +16 46
    5 Chelsea 26 +16 46
    6 Newcastle United 26 0 43
    7 Liverpool 25 +6 39
    Spurs are 5 points down and we are two points down. For us to be on the same pace as last year we need to win our next five games including the trip to WHL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Watched the game again and thinking back over the last few games, it's ridiculous the amount wilshere gets kicked
    He needs some protection or he won't see 25

Raf32 wrote: »

Only on loan unfortunately so he's another problem that we'll have to rid ourselves of in the Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭DenMan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

greendom wrote: »
    Only on loan unfortunately so he's another problem that we'll have to rid ourselves of in the Summer.

Is he not gone on a season and a half loan? If true basically means we haven given up any hope of selling him like a lot of our flops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Sagna really is excellent at getting his head on the ball despite only being 5' 9

Is he not gone on a season and a half loan? If true basically means we haven given up any hope of selling him like a lot of our flops.

Yes gone for a year which seems odd as when he comes back the Jan transfer window will be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Thing is though if you can loan a player out a few times over 2/3 seasons you can possibly raise more financially than what you'd get if you sold him

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

greendom wrote: »
    Yes gone for a year which seems odd as when he comes back the Jan transfer window will be over.

A year and a half sounds like he's being loaned out until after the 2014 world cup. Arsenal are probably betting that Gremio will suit his playing style better, his form will improve and he'll win back his place as starting left back for Brazil. A good world cup from him, and Arsenal can sell him on for muchos wonga.

Guessing thats the plan anyway :pac:

Sagna really is excellent at getting his head on the ball despite only being 5' 9

Sagna reminded me of Cannavaro for Italy in the 06 World Cup. Only 5'9 but played like he was 6'9. Magic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Didn't see the game yesterday and just watched the match of the day highlights which didn't show a whole lot. Do people think maybe Sagna has a future as a cb or maybe is better suited there these days going by yesterdays performance? Since has looked a bit lost at rb of late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Very important win.

Was at the game yesterday and was hoping Wenger wouldn't start complaining about his players not getting protection after it.

Arsenal gave as good as they got yesterday. Fair play to them for hanging on in that game, and still looking like they had more men than Sunderland even when down to 10.

As for Sunderland rolling over for other big teams, no - that does not happen, ask Roberto Mancini if you need any examples.

Edit: Just to add, credit to the Arsenal fans who traveled. Since the away fan section has been moved that is the most I've seen in it, cracking atmosphere from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Anybody know was Wilsheres injury serious yesterday or is he alright

Was at the game yesterday and was hoping Wenger wouldn't start complaining about his players not getting protection after it.

Arsenal gave as good as they got yesterday. Fair play to them for hanging on in that game, and still looking like they had more men than Sunderland even when down to 10.

As for Sunderland rolling over for other big teams, no - that does not happen, ask Roberto Mancini if you need any examples.

Edit: Just to add, credit to the Arsenal fans who traveled. Since the away fan section has been moved that is the most I've seen in it, cracking atmosphere from them.

If you watch arsenal regularly you will see that wilshere is ALWAYS getting fouled in every game, not just that one. A lot is to do with his playing style but still, consistent fouling of him needs to be punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Watched the highlights and boy was it squeaky bum time in the last 20 mins or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Arsenal gave as good as they got yesterday.

Can't say I fully agree. Sunderland got away with a ridiculous amount of fouls. Frees weren't given in many cases.
    Back to back wins against Stoke and Sunderland in the kind of matches we usually drop points in.

What was that old chant of ours?
    "One nil... to the Arsenal!" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

dvemail wrote: »
    Anybody know was Wilsheres injury serious yesterday or is he alright

Wenger said it's only keeping him out for a couple of days in his post match interview. Take from that what you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

dorgasm wrote: »
    Wenger said it's only keeping him out for a couple of days in his post match interview. Take from that what you like.

Much better than the season ending "three weeks".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Commentators might actually give a sh1t now when we're kicked around with jack being the golden boy. None of this "arsenal don't like at them" crap.

Commentators might actually give a sh1t now when we're kicked around with jack being the golden boy. None of this "arsenal don't like at them" crap.

There are a few in this Arsenal team that have that bit of temper in them to have a go back Jenk, Verm, Arteta (angry little man sometimes), Jack, Podolski.

They wont just look to the ref when they get a kick they give some back, not to the same extent of a Viera but better than previous years

With Santos gone who plays LB against Munich?

keano_afc wrote: »
    With Santos gone who plays LB against Munich?

Vermaelen probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Vermaelen, more than likely.

This is the same Vermaelen who's currently injured and struggling for fitness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭DenMan

Have a feeling West Brom will get something against Liverpool tonight. Fingers crossed!

He should be back next week though, no? didn't jenkinson step in as left back for a game or two last season, or am i wrong?

• Advertisement

DenMan wrote: »
    Have a feeling West Brom will get something against Liverpool tonight. Fingers crossed!

I don't think Liverpool are really rivals for fourth at this point

Anybody liking our chances against bayern?
    Are they as strong as last year? I know theyve basically won the bundesliga but havent seen them play. Is the team same as last year?

AdamD wrote: »
    I don't think Liverpool are really rivals for fourth at this point

Anything less than a win tonight though would cement that

Anybody liking our chances against bayern?
    Are they as strong as last year? I know theyve basically won the bundesliga but havent seen them play. Is the team same as last year?

They haven't conceded in 6 games, have a record points tally for this stage of the season and a record low for goals conceded :(

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/goals-against-bayern-munich-rare-manuel-neuer-stopped-072144053--sow.html :pac:

Not good:(

The main thing should be to not let them get any away goals at the emirates im really looking forward to this encounter a quick goal would be nice then shut up shop and take a 1-0 win to munich would be a decent result

What Liverpool do is really immaterial to us. If they finish above us it's because we had a really bad run. If we have a really bad run we're not going to get 4th anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

TheBza wrote: »
    He should be back next week though, no? didn't jenkinson step in as left back for a game or two last season, or am i wrong?

He did and he was awful as far as I recall.

It'll be Vermaelen or Miquel.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    He did and he was awful as far as I recall.

It'll be Vermaelen or Miquel.

Must be why i couldn't properly remember.

If anyone is interested, the usual recipes are showing Arsenal u21 v United u21. Just kicked off.

1-0 Arsenal, Akpom with a nice finish, probably against the run of play, Eisfield started well though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,445 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's a sad state of affairs that one more defensive injury could ruin our entire season. Very lax of the management if this happens. We have the bare bones of a defence at the minute. If Vermaillen doesn't make it or has another mishap then we have a raw little teenager as back-up for a big European game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement