Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,450 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Nope, but considering the thread goes into meltdown when we lose, it's an accurate statement. You can pretty much guarantee what is going to be said. Too late now, as most of it has already been said and the match is hardly over.

Compare it to when we win. People will point out what wasnt good enough but do so in a controlled manner which means good points get made. When we lose everything is wrong, the whole team needs to be shot, Wenger needs to be sacked etc etc etc. Always massive over-reactions when we lose.

People point out mistakes and poor play after games whether we win or lose.

Today's loss is just another in a long line of poor losses to inferior teams. It doesn't matter if you have 99% of the play if you end up losing 1 -- 0. They had one chance and Czsz made a balls of it. We had 30 and couldn't trouble their keeper.

At this stage I am starting to turn on Wenger. I still think the main issue is with the board, I don't think Wenger is afraid to spend. However if his hands are being tied he should be making a fuss in public or at the very, very least, getting the best results with what he is given. He isn't doing that. He's still sticking with playing in a way that we're not good enough to win with consistently and are very, very easy to set up against. Once in a while it'll click and we'll smash a team to bits and the question will be why we can't do it like that all the time.

Really tired of it and really tired of somehow being the bad guy because I don't want to accept mediocrity. Hell I'd say most of us have been guilty of accepting it for 5 years now, we're getting past the point of being mediocre, we're approaching irrelevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Soups123 wrote: »
    As much as people moan there are the same people who just complain about the moaning.

It was **** today pure and simple the moans about Wenger are not just about today it's because of the continueing decline with this season being the height of it

Very few clubs chasing honors would accept this why should we

True. This whole thing with Arsenal is not just a blip or a passing phase. It appears to be systemic and established and Wenger really is not the man for the job anymore. He appears to always get his priorities wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Yes indeed. We seem to have a lot of those games.

That's the result of having **** finishers at the club. Man U may have conceded that goal today but the difference is RVP. Rooney, Hernandez all would have gotten at least one today if they had started. Giroud is flakey and inconsistant, Ox is raw and not that great at all, Gervinho is terrible, just terrible. Whatever reputation Wenger has built up as regards being good in the transfer market should all be torn down because Arsenal are paying Gervinho a wage. I have friends that would be better.

Far too many ordinary players in the squad.
    Fergie wouldn't keep a lot of them.

Time to ship out. This team is going nowhere.

Wenger's buys have cost Arsenal huge the last few years and all the bulls*it about saving money. Gervinho for one needs to be consigned to the dustbin forever. How in gods name did he score all those goals in France i dunno. He is quite simply useless. Amazingly Rosicky who was having a great game was taken off :eek:
    I had a feeling it was going to be one of those days when i seen no Jack, no Theo, no Pod...

Oxlade Chamberlain is nearly as useless as Gervinho these times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Quazzie wrote: »
    FYP
    You failed. Arsenal have never been put out of the FA Cup under Wenger by a team outside the top flight until today.

Kells... wrote: »
    FACT: Arsenal have gone 8 years without winning a single trophy - players that have left since then have won 53 trophies combined.

Holy sh1t! 8 years?? Are you serious?

How come I'm only finding out about this now?

FACT: Arsenal have gone 8 years without winning a single trophy - players that have left since then have won 53 trophies combined.

So true. RVP on possibly the verge of a triple this year with Man Utd.

eagle eye wrote: »
    You failed. Arsenal have never been put out of the FA Cup under Wenger by a team outside the top flight until today.

I think it was more the "If Arsenal won 6-0 today there is nobody that could say it was undeserved." bit that happens often.

Wenger's buys have cost Arsenal huge the last few years and all the bulls*it about saving money. Gervinho for one needs to be consigned to the dustbin forever. How in gods name did he score all those goals in France i dunno. He is quite simply useless. Amazingly Rosicky who was having a great game was taken off :eek:
    I had a feeling it was going to be one of those days when i seen no Jack, no Theo, no Pod...

Oxlade Chamberlain is nearly as useless as Gervinho these times.

I have been critical of Oxo for some time.
    He gets the ball in good areas and nearly always takes the wrong option. Look at his overhead kick today with 2 players coming in to take a pass. Just needed a knock-down.
    He does not seem to be improving at all. Not a brainy footballer in my opinion.
    Gervinho is just terrible.

• Advertisement

No but getting shown up by lower league opposition isn't totally new (see Esrlier this season).

Well done btw.

Mr.Micro wrote: »

So true. RVP on possibly the verge of a triple this year with Man Utd.

He called it a FACT.

You don't really need to agree with then or tell us it's 'so true'.

Thanks for the valuable input anyway though.

Edited to include: apologies, probably being a bit harsh here. Don't see why you'd bring RVP into it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Messi has scored 291 times since they won a trophy :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

7 years 9 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Sack the board!

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Nope, but considering the thread goes into meltdown when we lose, it's an accurate statement. You can pretty much guarantee what is going to be said. Too late now, as most of it has already been said and the match is hardly over.

Compare it to when we win. People will point out what wasnt good enough but do so in a controlled manner which means good points get made. When we lose everything is wrong, the whole team needs to be shot, Wenger needs to be sacked etc etc etc. Always massive over-reactions when we lose.

What's your reaction then? A shrug and keep on the same path?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Juv have been relegated,promoted and won the league since the last trophy win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Juv have been relegated,promoted and won the league since the last trophy win.

Justin Bieber/Eden has lived 40.8% of his entire life

Henry though won six of them in 2009 alone though. Cole has won a fair amount at Chelsea too in fairness. Cesc will get a haul at Barca this year and RVP will at least win 1 at Man United

I think the fact Wenger has bought a few right proper lemons the last few years has given the board more vindication to allocate less transfer funds.

We spent £15m on Arshavin (club record at the time in fact) who is a money grabbing waster. Squillachi, Santos, Gervinho.....Utterly useless each one. Cost between £25m and £30m in total for all 3 and god knows how much since. Arteta hasnt inspired either. Very poor today. Possibly should have been tracking Kazim Richards for that goal too?

As for the promising kids...Ox, Ramsey, Chez.....they havent or are not going to amount to anything near what is required.

Our longest spell without winning a trophy was from 1953 to 1970.
    I wonder will we see one in the next 9 years to prevent that 17 year gap happening again.

Top 4 is never the same as winning silverware in my opinion.
    The players who left to win trophies were right to do so. We lack ambition and have done for a long time now. But we make money and that seems to matter more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Look lads, RVP forced his way out. You just cannot expect to replace a talent like that overnight. I'm sure Wenger will find the guy to do that but he brought in two forwards this year and it takes time. Walcott has been impressive in recent times playing up there. Giroud is starting to show that he might be the answer.

I understand that not winning trophies is difficult for fans of a big club but you are still in the most important one of all. I actually think that you have a real chance of putting out Bayern.

Personally I'd take CL qualification and the entertainment that is given out almost every week of the season from Arsenal to a domestic cup with dour George Graham football if I was a fan of a big team.

Look lads, RVP forced his way out. You just cannot expect to replace a talent like that overnight. I'm sure Wenger will find the guy to do that but he brought in two forwards this year and it takes time. Walcott has been impressive in recent times playing up there. Giroud is starting to show that he might be the answer.

I understand that not winning trophies is difficult for fans of a big club but you are still in the most important one of all. I actually think that you have a real chance of putting out Bayern.

Personally I'd take CL qualification and the entertainment that is given out almost every week of the season from Arsenal to a domestic cup with dour George Graham football if I was a fan of a big team.

I dont think our strikers are the problem and have hit the goals this year tbf to them. We arent going to win the CL, you know it and i know it. When our good players get injured we have muppets replacing them. Wenger signed these muppets. We are in serious danger of no objective been achieved this year. Now i think the board should step down in that case and not Wenger but Wenger needs to get real and get shot of the pub league standard he has brought onto the squad. Id rather we just paid them off instead of letting them cost us more down the line.

Sorry, but you don't really know what you're talking about.

I agree about VP forcing his way out, I lost a lot of respect for him last summer because of how he conducted himself but a club with league or CL pretensions shouldn't be so lost without a single player, especially when they sign 3 more first-teamers.

I disagree about putting out Bayern. Only chance we have is if they decide they want to score more than 4. If they're smart I'd be pretty sure they'll win by 2 in the first leg and at least draw in the second leg. Arsenal are easy to play against, there's no surprises.

As for the last bit, if you've been watching Arsenal consistently for the last couple of year you'd know that the entertainment factor with Arsenal is wildly, wildly overstated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Huge relief for Arsenal - without distraction of FA Cup able to concentrate on finishing fourth again.

I wonder will we see one in the next 9 years to prevent that 17 year gap happening again.

Top 4 is never the same as winning silverware in my opinion.
    The players who left to win trophies were right to do so. We lack ambition and have done for a long time now. But we make money and that seems to matter more.

Interestingly id say there was a great Hillwood influence over that dry run too. When we did get a good team together at the end of that they werent given a penny increase on their contracts despite having delivered 3 trophies and neither did they ask for one either. Instead Alan Ball (great player tbf) was signed and given a huge contract to which he reminded his fellow teammates by leaving payslips around. So Men who loved the club like Bob Wilson and Charlie George became disillusioned by the fact Ball got so much and yet they didnt get a penny increase after delivering a fairs cup and a double.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I don't get people criticising the team selection when it was agreed by pretty much everyone beforehand that it was good enough. (indeed some people wanted more second string players).

That the performance was again not up to scratch is another thing altogether and something which Wenger should be at blamed for as it seems to be happening far more regularly nowadays. Also failing to make changes earlier in the game.

People love to bust their nut scapegoating Gervinho but he wasn't the problem. Missed a good chance ok but so did Theo.

efb wrote: »
    Huge relief for Arsenal - without distraction of FA Cup able to concentrate on finishing fourth again.

If we get injuries we are fúcked though. Ox, Gervinho... simply not good enough

efb wrote: »

Are we going for a treble now ?

B-radford
    B-lackburn
    B-ayern Munich

Hope not but very likely.

Least we'll be big underdogs against Bayern. Probably suits us better and more enjoyable if things go well.

• Advertisement

Are we going for a treble now ?

B-radford
    B-lackburn
    B-ayern Munich

Hope not but very likely.

Funnily enough i wouldnt write us off v Bayern. If we start at a high tempo we can get goals but we really need to make hay Tuesday night. Dilly dallying and walking when we should be running though and the theme will continue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

The ugly side of this Arsenal team shows its face yet again.

Just when we think things are coming good, BAAM!!! Another atrocious display, its like groundhog day with this team the past 5 years!!

Depressing!

No way on earth will we finish top 4 either as RVP single handily carried us there last season, Spurs are a much better team than us anyways now it just goes to show how far we have fallen!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Didn't see today's game but I think the saddest part of it for me was when I saw the full time score I wasn't suprised.

Shocking once again, would go on a rant but have said it all before about Wenger and lack of motivation in his teams in recent years and poor buys.

Thing need to change if Wenger comes out with his usual great team capable of winning trophies speel its was hard luck lark we should start a man hunt to give him a good cop on slap.

Seems Pellegrini is looking to get out of Malaga anyway. Chelsea and others sniffing around though. Would be great as next manager. Can't see Arsene leaving though unless things go really belly up.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/feb/15/chelsea-malaga-manuel-pellegrini

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Want to rant

Not able

Broken Man

Seems Pellegrini is looking to get out of Malaga anyway. Chelsea and others sniffing around though. Would be great as next manager. Can't see Arsene leaving though unless things go really belly up.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/feb/15/chelsea-malaga-manuel-pellegrini

Wenger is the Board's apologist and yes-man. They will keep him at all costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I want this Arsenal, and this Wenger back not the sorry excuse shadow we have these days.

188228_316206648482603_1911599532_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

That familiar old feeling of "angry, disappointed but not surprised" once more.

Just when Arsenal look to be turning a corner they fall flat on their face. Typical thing to happen now is we'll get a great result against Bayern only to follow that up with a howler straight away in the league. Or vice versa. Embarrassing today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

arseanal didn't win a trophy until 1930, 44 years after they formed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'm ****ing gutted that is all **** this arsenal team

jordainius wrote: »
    That familiar old feeling of "angry, disappointed but not surprised" once more.

Just when Arsenal look to be turning a corner they fall flat on their face. Typical thing to happen now is we'll get a great result against Bayern only to follow that up with a howler straight away in the league. Or vice versa. Embarrassing today.

What corner? What great run were we on? We'd won 4 in 5 against **** opposition for the 4 wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

pretty disgraceful result. Didnt see the game but If we dont get 4th place now there has to be serious pressure on Wenger. Its just not good enough.

Im scared at the thoughts of playing Bayern but knowing Arsenal well probably beat them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Didn't see today's game but I think the saddest part of it for me was when I saw the full time score I wasn't suprised.

Shocking once again, would go on a rant but have said it all before about Wenger and lack of motivation in his teams in recent years and poor buys.

Thing need to change if Wenger comes out with his usual great team capable of winning trophies speel its was hard luck lark we should start a man hunt to give him a good cop on slap.

sums it up for me 100%. ive seen people on the web all week going on about how sh!te blackburn are and how it was going to be a straightforward game for us. words fail me.

just makes me so angry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

We will get badly murdered by bayern. Badly.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    arseanal didn't win a trophy until 1930, 44 years after they formed

But standards were set then that are not been kept in modern times owing to the fact we have men in charge of a football club that seemingly have no interest in the sport. The type of idiots you find on the FA disciplinary board who come up with rules such as booking players for over celebrating.

Herbert Chapman came in and built a stadium and a club in the 30s and we were always contending at the very least. He broke a world record to sign David Jack and actually tried to get the lowest price at the same time (funny story actually).
    In 1928, with Bolton in financial trouble, he was signed by Herbert Chapman's Arsenal for £10,890 (nearly double the previous record); famously, Chapman negotiated the transfer with Bolton's representatives in a hotel bar, his tactic being to drink gin and tonics without any gin in them, while letting the other side drink as much as they possibly could. Chapman remained sober while the Bolton representatives got very drunk, and managed to haggle down the fee to a price he considered a bargain.

I really wonder what the great innovator himself would make of all of this who lived by the 'never stand still' mantra?

I blame the board for this more-so but Wenger must take responsibility for gambling on such duds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

It's just disappointing at this stage, don't think Wenger should ever be forced out as he's done far too much for the club. Something needs to be done though, it's not even the result, they just don't look like they're particularly good at anything. Just a bunch of average players who at times couldn't care less. Signings (Lots of them), fresh start and maybe a new manager in the summer. The side today just looked so stale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I blame the board for this more-so but Wenger must take responsibility for gambling on such duds.

Great post, I blame the board too but i'm angry at wenger also. this season's a write off. Sad, when we signed poldi giroud and cazorla and still have rvp i had high hopes.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Great post, I blame the board too but i'm angry at wenger also. this season's a write off. Sad, when we signed poldi giroud and cazorla and still have rvp i had high hopes.

We are too slow and predictable. Teams just pack the area around their box and close up shop. We had nobody able to pick the lock the way Fabregas used to do. No quick wee pass over the top or through a defender's legs to set up the winner. When we did get a ball through who did the chance fall to? Bloody Gervinho !!! Apart from a first eleven we have a poor squad now.

Wenger himself has become a dud in the last few years, so a dud managing duds will only result in failure. He has refused to deal with reality when it comes to buying players and even more would not change the style of play that Arsenal use, not even when it was not working. We will never be Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

The pitch looked well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

1361045615_zps1a278c69.jpg

Jack after the game. A fan just like us. If we're to have any hope of having a successful team over the next few years, we need to spend the summer building the team around him. And no more Gervinhos. Genuine world class players like we used to have. And no more fcuking excuses. Spend the money and pay the big wages. Enough is enough.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement