Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

We are too slow and predictable. Teams just pack the area around their box and close up shop. We had nobody able to pick the lock the way Fabregas used to do. No quick wee pass over the top or through a defender's legs to set up the winner. When we did get a ball through who did the chance fall to? Bloody Gervinho !!! Apart from a first eleven we have a poor squad now.

Disagree. We have faults but creating chances was not one of them today. We had one striker between the first 11 and the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

People are forgetting that we have to live with our duds.
    City/United/Chelsea (minus torres), even Liverpool, can spend decent money on players then forget about them if they're useless. We seemingly don't have the money to just discard players we've bought, or we aren't willing to spend it.

City have had countless horrible signings
    United have had Bebe/Anderson/Ashley Young (ish)/even Nani is getting that treatment
    Chelsea have had Marin/Lukaku (young and talented, but still 20m and sent off on loan, we can't do that.)/Bosingwa/Zhirkov etc

Liverpool: Carroll, they've since bought Borini and Sturridge for decent money.

These are all signings which cost 10m+, we rarely sign players for that money and when we do they stay in and around our first team no matter what. We either aren't ruthless, or can't afford to be. If its Wenger's choice to keep the Gervinhos, Santos, Arshavins, Chamakhs and Squillacis around the squad then he should go. If its the board's choice then they should go.

Our poor signings are replaced too slowly, if at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

gosplan wrote: »
    Disagree. We have faults but creating chances was not one of them today. We had one striker between the first 11 and the bench.

I can only recall one clear-cut chance. A few half-chances but only one clear one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Buttonftw wrote: »

What corner? What great run were we on? We'd won 4 in 5 against **** opposition for the 4 wins.
    Oh for crying out loud can you not start with this rubbish? (you spent months posting in a similar style to anyone who dared suggest Steve bould made a difference to the defence at the start of the season, for the record I wasn't one of those posters but my god you banged that drum to death) I never said they had turned a corner, I never said we were on a great run. Go read my post again.

I was alluding to the fact that there is a never ending cycle of have a run of a few good or okay games, some fans get their hopes up, some of the players and the boss start harping on about having turned the corner (or words to that effect) and then BANG, same **** happens all over again. a crap performance or run of performances brings it all crashing down again. that cycle has been repeating itself for years now.

I know you like to jump on people who show a shred of optimism, but trust me, I'm just as pessimistic as you. I just don't feel the need to jump on everyone who dares to have some hope, even if it is false hope like the false hope that Steve bould has improved up defensively for example. So spare me your attempts to misrepresent what I said please...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I can only recall one clear-cut chance. A few half-chances but only one clear one.

Ye had a lot more good chances than that - I was on the edge of my seat all game and only for Kean had such a good game I think ye would have won this comfortably

Ye had a lot more good chances than that - I was on the edge of my seat all game and only for Kean had such a good game I think ye would have won this comfortably

I don't remember their keeper making too many saves. We had a lot of corners but nothing came from any of them either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I don't remember their keeper making too many saves. We had a lot of corners but nothing came from any of them either.

Maybe as a Rovers supporter I remember what he did more clearly because I had my heart in my mouth a few times :)

Maybe as a Rovers supporter I remember what he did more clearly because I had my heart in my mouth a few times :)

Hope they go on and win it now.

jordainius wrote: »
    Oh for crying out loud can you not start with this rubbish? (you spent months posting in a similar style to anyone who dared suggest Steve bould made a difference to the defence at the start of the season, for the record I wasn't one of those posters but my god you banged that drum to death)
    And I was right.
    I never said they had turned a corner, I never said we were on a great run. Go read my post again.
    I don't get what would make anyone think we were turning a corner recently.
    I was alluding to the fact that there is a never ending cycle of have a run of a few good or okay games, some fans get their hopes up, some of the players and the boss start harping on about having turned the corner (or words to that effect) and then BANG, same **** happens all over again. a crap performance or run of performances brings it all crashing down again. that cycle has been repeating itself for years now.
    I just don't get my hopes up over a few acceptable results.
    I know you like to jump on people who show a shred of optimism, but trust me, I'm just as pessimistic as you. I just don't feel the need to jump on everyone who dares to have some hope, even if it is false hope like the false hope that Steve bould has improved up defensively for example. So spare me your attempts to misrepresent what I said please...
    As soon as there's anything to be optimistic about then I'm fine with people being optimistic. Hell there was a point at the start of the season when I fell into the trap because of a few excellent performances, new players seemed to be bedding in, we were properly dominating games. Then the new players "bedded in" a bit too well and we reverted to type.
    There's been basically nothing factual to be optimistic about as an Arsenal fan for quite a while now. I don't jump on people for being optimistic either, when someone tries to use clean sheets against 2 teams who didn't want to score as evidence of a great defence, I'm going to call it BS. When someone says that Wenger won't spend, I call it BS and when someone says Wenger is achieving what he should be compared to what's being spent I call it BS.

• Advertisement

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Great post, I blame the board too but i'm angry at wenger also. this season's a write off. Sad, when we signed poldi giroud and cazorla and still have rvp i had high hopes.

If there is positives to be taken its that his last 4 signings (Giroud, Podolski, Cazorla and Monreal) have the hallmarks of success. We need more of that calibre and around that age profile too. It is fair to say wages have exploded since 2003 and Abramovich's arrival at Chelsea. It has curtailed our ability to compete given our principals and from the point of view of refusing to break the wage structure i do see the boards outlook as it is sickening the money some players are on. It needs the powers that be to introduce a wage cap to football but i wont hold me breath. So unless we find more lads like Podolski etc willing to sign for a reasonable salary then the situation is deadlocked

If there is positives to be taken its that his last 4 signings (Giroud, Podolski, Cazorla and Monreal) have the hallmarks of success. We need more of that calibre and around that age profile too. It is fair to say wages have exploded since 2003 and Abramovich's arrival at Chelsea. It has curtailed our ability to compete given our principals and from the point of view of refusing to break the wage structure i do see the boards outlook as it is sickening the money some players are on. It needs the powers that be to introduce a wage cap to football but i wont hold me breath. So unless we find more lads like Podolski etc willing to sign for a reasonable salary then the situation is deadlocked

Maybe if they had their wages halved for every s*** performance things might improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

There have been some poor performances this season. Today, the Bradford game, the home game against Swansea and the insipid display at Old Trafford come to miind without having to think too hard about it and Wenger deserves his share of the blame for some of those awful displays.

But given that virtually every year he is forced to rebuild the team after losing his best performing players I'm still behind him. If the financial constraints are to be relaxed this Summer then I think AW should be given the opportunity to spend it. On the other hand if it's true that over the last couple of years he has been offered funds to spend and he's refused to do so, that is an entirely different matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

greendom wrote: »
    There have been some poor performances this season. Today, the Bradford game, the home game against Swansea and the insipid display at Old Trafford come to miind without having to think too hard about it and Wenger deserves his share of the blame for some of those awful displays.

But given that virtually every year he is forced to rebuild the team after losing his best performing players I'm still behind him. If the financial constraints are to be relaxed this Summer then I think AW should be given the opportunity to spend it. On the other hand if it's true that over the last couple of years he has been offered funds to spend and he's refused to do so, that is an entirely different matter.

Talk is that there will be more 'free' money to spend this summer due to loans being paid and all that but it's really a I'll believe it when I see it situation.

Hopefully some of the players play like they care, just hate watching them not trying.

Maybe if they had their wages halved for every s*** performance things might improve.

The players have clubs caught by the balls in the modern game though. If you cut their wages they f*ck off. Now in the case of Gervinho etc i wouldnt mind but i wouldnt want Jack or Pod for example to leave.

I thought Diaby and Rosicky played very well today but it would seem Rosicky is out of favour with Wenger which is a mystery. Chamberlain is playing sh*te. Another overhyped English kid

Who should have been tracking the Blackburn player who took the original shot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

PFF im a thousand miles away in philippines enjoy this sun and u can always count on arsenal ****ing things up.

jesus christ. i was very reluctant to check the scores abroad. wish i had not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

But standards were set then that are not been kept in modern times owing to the fact we have men in charge of a football club that seemingly have no interest in the sport. The type of idiots you find on the FA disciplinary board who come up with rules such as booking players for over celebrating.

Herbert Chapman came in and built a stadium and a club in the 30s and we were always contending at the very least. He broke a world record to sign David Jack and actually tried to get the lowest price at the same time (funny story actually).

I really wonder what the great innovator himself would make of all of this who lived by the 'never stand still' mantra?

I blame the board for this more-so but Wenger must take responsibility for gambling on such duds.

The standards that aren't being kept are the ones set by wenger in first 9 seasons with the club, incidentally just before he arrived Danny Fiszman invested £50mil into the club link

Arsenal are a club that has had two major periods of what you would call sustained success or contending the '30's & the first 9 years of wenger's reign, you could make an argument for Graham as well but the league finishes weren't the best, the rest of the trophies are scattered - there's been no always contending with arsenal link
    Where were the standards between '53 & '70?

the penny pinching needs to stop, i said this the last day too, whoever's responsible for it. But we know the reasons for it - money, but without selling players & property money arsenal would've reported a loss of £31mil before tax for the 11/12 season link
    So who know's if the new kit & sponsor deals will make any difference at all until the club have 0 debt
    Frankly if they're (board or wenger ) not willing to spend the cash, such duds will be part of the furniture

1361045615_zps1a278c69.jpg

Jack after the game. A fan just like us. If we're to have any hope of having a successful team over the next few years, we need to spend the summer building the team around him. And no more Gervinhos. Genuine world class players like we used to have. And no more fcuking excuses. Spend the money and pay the big wages. Enough is enough.

Like i said, lets get falcoe yet u lot laughed at me

Like i said, lets get falcoe yet u lot laughed at me

it was more your fund raising idea they laughed at

batistuta9 wrote: »
    it was more your fund raising idea they laughed at

Either way we need falcoa more then anyone else.

i still stand by what i said, if we get rid of gevinho, chamack, santos, ashavin, denilson, Girud, arteta, Kos, Vermahlin etc we can afford Falcoa.

too many **** players at arsenal.

at this moment in time i would only keep Wilshere. the rest should piss off.

Walcott should have gone. waste of 100k.

carzola, pod, shezney and even arteta are alll ****

• Advertisement

Ok mate

Dont we all at least agree that we need players like Falcoa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

So does every team :confused:

I also need a 6ft blonde supermodel..... Don't mean I'm gonna get it :(

not if it means getting rid of half our squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

we could afford better quality players if we stopped paying the duds we have so much in wages. its one thing buying them but its another thing paying the likes of gervinho 60,000 a week for doing fcuk all.

we gave wilshere ramsey gibbs chamberlain jenks new contracts recently but for what? none of them deserved it. thats part of our problem - players are getting rewarded for being average.

wilshere is coming good but hes done nothing in the game so far - a few excellent displays and all of a sudden hes worth 80,000 a week? chamberlain has been rubbish for ages now - what has he done to warrant receiving a new improved contract?

this is why we cant get rid of sh!te players and why the likes of chamakh and denilson and bendtner and whoever else are only sent on loan. no club that would take them on can buy them and pay their wages.

just imagine how much wed save if players were actually paid what theyre worth. it would free up a fair amount of money to pay decent wages to decent players

sonic85 wrote: »
    we could afford better quality players if we stopped paying the duds we have so much in wages. its one thing buying them but its another thing paying the likes of gervinho 60,000 a week for doing fcuk all.

we gave wilshere ramsey gibbs chamberlain jenks new contracts recently but for what? none of them deserved it. thats part of our problem - players are getting rewarded for being average.

wilshere is coming good but hes done nothing in the game so far - a few excellent displays and all of a sudden hes worth 80,000 a week? chamberlain has been rubbish for ages now - what has he done to warrant receiving a new improved contract?

this is why we cant get rid of sh!te players and why the likes of chamakh and denilson and bendtner and whoever else are only sent on loan. no club that would take them on can buy them and pay their wages.

just imagine how much wed save if players were actually paid what theyre worth. it would free up a fair amount of money to pay decent wages to decent players
    Threads gone full meltdown. If we don't give them contracts now, we have the same issues we faced last summer and the summer before, players with contracts running down, forcing their way out. Or we have the situation we had this January, forced to give into Walcott's demands because we left it so late.

Jenkinson, Gibbs and Wilshere are all having good seasons, you can't argue against giving them new contracts. Ramsey didn't even get a wage rise, Ox is underperforming but hes still one of the league's biggest talents. Ramsey's paying poorly but it would be foolish to get rid of him now, his value certainly won't decrease over the next few years.

Ramsey would be some fúcking idiot to sign a new contract for the same money

Ramsey would be some fúcking idiot to sign a new contract for the same money

If he's on what he was on when he was 20 then probably.

He would have been on high wages from an early age due to his talent and us competing with United for his signature. His performances over the last 18 months haven't warranted an increase

you know what i mean though

he must have come out of it some way better off financially, surely?

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    He would have been on high wages from an early age due to his talent and us competing with United for his signature. His performances over the last 18 months haven't warranted an increase

would any player sign a new 4/5 year contract without getting rewarded in some way?

I think not

How high? He'd get 40-50k a week anywhere else, I doubt he's on that yet with us.

Trying to find a source for Ramsey not getting an increase, can't find it though so may have been wrong. Was 100% sure that I'd read it at the time from a legit source though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

People are arguing against WILSHERE signing a new contract now... Jesus christ

Threads gone full meltdown. If we don't give them contracts now, we have the same issues we faced last summer and the summer before, players with contracts running down, forcing their way out. Or we have the situation we had this January, forced to give into Walcott's demands because we left it so late.

Jenkinson, Gibbs and Wilshere are all having good seasons, you can't argue against giving them new contracts. Ramsey didn't even get a wage rise, Ox is underperforming but hes still one of the league's biggest talents. Ramsey's paying poorly but it would be foolish to get rid of him now, his value certainly won't decrease over the next few years.

leave it out - were they all down to their final year? ramsey didnt need a rise hes already getting 55 or 60k a week waaaaaay over what he should be earning. i didnt say anything about getting rid of any of those players - i said theyre getting paid a lot more than theyre worth which will cause us major issues in the long run.

carl jenkinson was earning roughly 20k a week. he had only played 12 games for us or something like that and his salary was bumped up to 32k. why? he had a few good games at the start of the season but was dropped back to the bench the second bacary came back. if he had stayed in the team and kept up the standard he was playing to till the end of the season a case could be made for a rise but as of now hes only worth that 20k.

wilshere is a class act and hopefully will go on to be world class but as of this moment hes had half a good season under his belt. hes not long back after injury. he was getting 55 or 60k a week but yet it was bumped up to 80k or thereabouts. for half a season?

in what universe is ox one of the leagues biggest talents? one goal and two assists? yeah hes a superstar.

listen my point is - wheres the incentive to better yourself and improve when youre getting rises at the drop of a hat? the whole system at the club seems to be geared at potential and paying players on what they might do instead of what theyre doing now.

i only used these players as an example - look at the real sh!te players on our books and its the same story. were spending something like 140 million a year on wages which is an utter disgrace when looking at the squad list. with that kind of money to spend i think we can do better

http://arsenaltruth.squarespace.com/arsenal-truth/2012/11/4/arsenals-1434m-wage-bill-exposed.html

found a different one. more up to date. dont know how accurate it is though

Lukas Podolski
    £107,000
    £5,564,000

Tomas Rosicky
    £80,000
    £4,160,000

Per Mertesacker
    £80,000
    £4,160,000

Andrey Arshavin
    £78,000
    £4,056,000

Santi Carzorla
    £70,000
    £3,640,000

Mikel Arteta
    £70,000
    £3,640,000

Thomas Vermaelen
    £70,000
    £3,640,000

Theo Walcott
    £60,000
    £3,120,000

Olivier Giroud
    £60,000
    £3,120,000

Gervinho
    £60,000
    £3,120,000

Bacary Sagna
    £60,000
    £3,120,000

Marouane Chamakh
    £60,000
    £3,120,000

Andre Santos
    £60,000
    £3,120,000

Jack Wilshere
    £60,000
    £3,120,000

Abou Diaby
    £60,000
    £3,120,000

Denilson
    £60,000
    £3,120,000

Laurent Koscielny
    £60,000
    £3,120,000

Johan Djourou
    £50,000
    £2,600,000

Kieran Gibbs
    £50,000
    £2,600,000

Nicklas Bendtner
    £50,000
    £2,600,000

Sebastien Squillaci
    £50,000
    £2,600,000

Aaron Ramsey
    £50,000
    £2,600,000

Wojciech Szczesny
    £50,000
    £2,600,000

Lukasz Fabianski
    £50,000
    £2,600,000

Ju Young Park
    £50,000
    £2,600,000

Vito Mannone
    £30,000
    £1,560,000

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
    £30,000
    £1,560,000

Carl Jenkinson
    £30,000
    £1,560,000

Emmanuel Frimpong
    £30,000
    £1,560,000

Francis Coquelin
    £30,000
    £1,560,000

Ryo Miyaichi
    £18,000
    £936,000

Ignasi Miquel
    £10,000
    £520,000

Joel Campbell
    £10,000
    £520,000

£90,636,000

RESERVES

Alex Iwobi
    £750
    £39,000

Alfred Mugabo
    £750
    £39,000

Anthony Jeffrey
    £750
    £39,000

Arinse Uade
    £750
    £39,000

Austin Lipman
    £750
    £39,000

Benik Afobe
    £750
    £39,000

Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill
    £750
    £39,000

Chuba Akpom
    £750
    £39,000

Chuks Aneke
    £750
    £39,000

Conor Henderson
    £750
    £39,000

Craig Eastmond
    £750
    £39,000

Damian Martinez
    £750
    £39,000

Daniel Boateng
    £750
    £39,000

Deyan Iliev
    £750
    £39,000

Elton Monteiro
    £750
    £39,000

Glen Kamara
    £750
    £39,000

Hector Bellerin
    £750
    £39,000

Nicholas Yennaris
    £750
    £39,000

Isaac Hayden
    £750
    £39,000

Jack Jebb
    £750
    £39,000

James Shea
    £750
    £39,000

Jernade Meade
    £750
    £39,000

Jon Toral
    £750
    £39,000

Jordan Wynter
    £750
    £39,000

Josh Rees
    £750
    £39,000

Josh Vickers
    £750
    £39,000

Kristoffer Olsson
    £750
    £39,000

Kyle Ebecilio
    £750
    £39,000

Leander Siemann
    £750
    £39,000

Martin Angha
    £750
    £39,000

Nigel Neita
    £750
    £39,000

Philip Roberts
    £750
    £39,000

Reice Charles-Cook
    £750
    £39,000

Samir Bihmoutine
    £750
    £39,000

Samuel Galindo
    £750
    £39,000

Sanchez Watt
    £750
    £39,000

Sead Hajrovic
    £750
    £39,000

Serge Gnabry
    £750
    £39,000

Tarum Dawkins
    £750
    £39,000

Thoma Eisfeld
    £750
    £39,000

Tom Dallison
    £750
    £39,000

Wellington
    £750
    £39,000

Zachari Fagan
    £750
    £39,000

Zak Ansah
    £750
    £39,000

£1,716,000

FIRST TEAM STAFF

Manager

Arsène Wenger
    £135,000
    £7,020,000

Assistant to Manager

Boro Primorac
    £7,500
    £390,000

Steve Bould
    £5,000
    £260,000

Coach

Gerry Peyton
    £1,300
    £67,600

Neil Banfield
    £1,300
    £67,600

Tony Colbert
    £1,300
    £67,600

Tony Roberts
    £1,300
    £67,600

Paul Johnson
    £1,000
    £52,000

Marcus Svensson
    £1,000
    £52,000

James Collins
    £1,000
    £52,000

Ben Knapper
    £1,000
    £52,000

David Wales
    £1,000
    £52,000

Physio/Medical

Colin Lewin
    £1,000
    £52,000

Gary O'Driscoll
    £1,000
    £52,000

Simon Harland
    £1,000
    £52,000

Kieran Hunt
    £1,000
    £52,000

Darren Page
    £1,000
    £52,000

Danny Flitter
    £1,000
    £52,000

Kit

Vic Akers
    £600
    £31,200

Paul Akers
    £600
    £31,200

Scouting

Steve Rowley (Chief)
    £1,000
    £52,000

Gilles Grimandi
    £600
    £31,200

Tony Banfield
    £600
    £31,200

Danny Karbassiyoon
    £600
    £31,200

Sandro Orlandelli
    £600
    £31,200

Pablo Budner
    £600
    £31,200

Everton Gushiken
    £600
    £31,200

Bobby Bennett
    £600
    £31,200

Francis Cagigao
    £600
    £31,200

Jurgen Kost
    £600
    £31,200

Peter Clarke
    £600
    £31,200

£8,938,800

RESERVES STAFF

Liam Brady
    £3,200
    £166,400

David Court
    £1,000
    £52,000

Roy Massey
    £1,000
    £52,000

Terry Burton
    £1,000
    £52,000

Steve Gatting
    £1,000
    £52,000

Lee Smelt
    £1,000
    £52,000

Carl Laraman
    £1,000
    £52,000

Steve Leonard
    £1,000
    £52,000

Craig Gant
    £1,000
    £52,000

Dennis Rockall
    £1,000
    £52,000

Lewis Manning
    £1,000
    £52,000

Richard Goddard
    £1,000
    £52,000

Alastair Thrush
    £1,000
    £52,000

Kwame Ampadu
    £1,000
    £52,000

£842,400

BOARD

Ivan Gazidis
    £39,423
    £2,049,996

Ken Friar OBE
    £10,980
    £570,960

Peter Hill-Wood
    £1,500
    £67,000

Stanley Kroenke
    £481
    £25,000

Sir Chips Keswick
    £480
    £24,960

£2,737,916

OTHER COSTS

Pension/social security
    £387,500
    £20,150,000

Player bonus pool
    £192,307
    £10,000,000

Peripheral staff
    £160,000
    £8,320,000

Total
    £2,756,771

£143,341,116

That wage list is total guess work as far as I recall. I'll come back to it tomorrow if I remember!

Not to say we don't overpay for a lot of our dead weight.

The standards that aren't being kept are the ones set by wenger in first 9 seasons with the club, incidentally just before he arrived Danny Fiszman invested £50mil into the club link

Arsenal are a club that has had two major periods of what you would call sustained success or contending the '30's & the first 9 years of wenger's reign, you could make an argument for Graham as well but the league finishes weren't the best, the rest of the trophies are scattered - there's been no always contending with arsenal link
    Where were the standards between '53 & '70?

the penny pinching needs to stop, i said this the last day too, whoever's responsible for it. But we know the reasons for it - money, but without selling players & property money arsenal would've reported a loss of £31mil before tax for the 11/12 season link
    So who know's if the new kit & sponsor deals will make any difference at all until the club have 0 debt
    Frankly if they're (board or wenger ) not willing to spend the cash, such duds will be part of the furniture

Id pretty much agree with your post. It would seem some like the late great Danny Fiszman and another big investor David Dein for example see the club much the same as the rest of us as a club who should be up there winning all the trophies first and foremost whereas the tradition of the clubs board throughout the years under the stranglehold of the Hillwoods is that the clubs number 1 priority should be to be at least ran in someway profitable.

They hate overdraft, they hate 'being in the red' (in financial terms :)) and want to run the club solely on retained earnings.

Its admirable i suppose in a world gone mad and you can see their point of view. I mean if hypothetically we were to get lucky and win all round us on a shoe string then would anyone complain about their policies? I suppose they try and run the club on the basis of how a any huge corporation or sme would run themselves or how indeed the ordinary man with a family would run his finances.

We are between the proverbial rock and a hard place. Should FFP have not been introduced then we might never see the club win a trophy ever again and its still going to be worth seeing how its enforced.

The stadium payment is certainly a big constraint per annum. I do think Usmanov is genuine but to be honest being a proud man myself i wouldn't like the idea of being solely funded by another individual. Though i do think perhaps they should have given his proposed rights issue some food for thought a few years ago.

Great posts tonight tipp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

It's a hard life supporting this club. They continue to deceive us fans into deluded hopes with their shocking lack of consistency. It's plainly obvious now however, this is going to be the way until some major reform happens from the top down.

sack wenger?

sack wenger?

I'd be ok with someone good coming in and being given a proper chance. Still I don't agree with disrespecting Wenger in general.

Also not now, summer.

sack wenger?

Would that result in the board changing its behaviour ?

when wenger goes he wont be replaced by a household name itll be someone vetted by and approved by wenger. in other words itll be as you were regarding transfer policy and approach to playing the game.

who were we linked with a few seasons ago? dragan stojkovic? someone along those lines. very little will change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Respect Wenger greatly but am rapidly losing patience with the show he's running.

In Arsene I'm not sure I trust any more.

And Bayern will break us up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

greendom wrote: »

Would that result in the board changing its behaviour ?

Not a chance, I'd have the board out and let Wenger at least see out his contract all day long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I don't get the wenger out either esp when you look back at what he's done for the club. after we sold all our world class players, this year is a transition year. joking though it will be good to go through a transfer window without all the will he won't he saga well bar sagna this summer, then we will have truly lost our last world class player.

I think I may have had a few too many but my point is wenger has built great teams and found great players, I think he still has it in him to do it again. he just needs a war chest, he seems to just spend what's required to get up top 4, id like to see what he could do with 50-60 million without having to sell players to get the money.

right now for a manager like wenger arsenal is looking a very sh*ty job at the moment we should be lucky to have him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

We would be beyond idiotic to let Wenger go, our squad is painfully average overall and to be perfectly honest comparing squads man for man it's a miracle we are actually in 5th and not hovering around mid-table with the likes of Liverpool, who have pretty much the exact same squad standard as us. The fulcrum of our midfield is Arteta (a mid-table team reject), striker is unproven in England, keeper is young and inexperienced, and we are relying almost completely on Cazorla (probably our only proper world class talent but even then he can't do it all on his own and can be lazy enough) and Wilshere who is 21 and been thrown straight into the deep end after a serious injury. We have the likes of Gervinho (who although is being overly criticized is still nothing special) and Walcott who are, in my view, good players when everything is going well, but they certainly can't be relied on to bag a goal in the 85th minute when it's 0-0 or 1-1. RVP probably jumped us 3 spots last year from this goal nabbing alone.

As said before if he isn't being given the funding he needs then he should be speaking up, we are completely entitled to blame him if he keeps choosing to spend average money purely on potential rather than spending where it matters. Potential is for teams like who are cruising and just need re-enforcement, we need guaranteed talent and fast, if we don't get 4th this time round there will be an immense amount of pressure on the team over the summer, and missing 4th twice in a row could be the start of something pretty grim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

I still can't believe Sanchez Watt is on our books ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Wenger is not the problem , there needs to be a change in the board and David Dein should be brought back.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement