Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

I agree that no team has a divine right to expect trophies, to be honest that's what being a supporter is all about you need to experience the real lows to appreciate the highs. Eight years is not a famine, take for example the other team in my life - Mayo - 62 years waiting for an All-Ireland, I don't mind the wait it's the direction the club has taken that annoys me charging insane ticket prices for football that is generally mediocre.

I don't expect Arsenal to consistently challenge for trophies and I expect United, City and Chelsea will all face dark seasons in the coming decades because seriously who wants to watch a game where the same teams challenge every year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

What a sad, defeatist attitude. As I've said before, there is no breaking point for Wenger apologists. None.

On the flip side, a lot of "fans" would prefer to see Arsenal fail to get top four or win a cup or anything if it meant that Wenger left.

There is a middle ground there somewhere i.e. Wenger being moved upstairs and a new manager coming in, but for some reason most people are either in the camp of being "Wenger apologists" or of the opinion "in Wenger we rust", neither of which is good for Arsenal and supporting the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Just watching that on Sky News.

He's losing the head by his standards. Not like him at all.

He looks like a man who has just become aware of the pressure he's under and is about to flip his lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Lapin wrote: »

He looks like a man who has just become aware of the pressure he's under and is about to flip his lad.

I hope Sky don't show that :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Disgraceful some of the stuff i'm reading from some of our "supporters" about Wenger (on twitter etc. not here) fair enough you don't want him at the club any more, but to verbally attack and wish death on him is absolutely disgusting and shameful, the english press have always loved to ridicule and kick Wenger and Arsenal when down, feel sorry for him watching that video, its not nice to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

TheBza wrote: »
    Disgraceful some of the stuff i'm reading from some of our "supporters" about Wenger (on twitter etc. not here) fair enough you don't want him at the club any more, but to verbally attack and wish death on him is absolutely disgusting and shameful, the english press have always loved to ridicule and kick Wenger and Arsenal when down, feel sorry for him watching that video, its not nice to watch.

Those people aren't supporters or even normal human beings.
    It's best to ignore idiots that wish harm on others like that.

Most clubs fans feel like their manager suffers harder than others when they are going through a slump or rough patch IMO.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Same old crap, it will all be forgotten if we continue our league form into the Villa game and get a result against Spurs then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Lets face it we just havent got the players anymore to be consistent enough to be challenging for the title, the likes of Chesney, Vermaelan, Mertesacker, Gibbs, Ramsey, Gervinho, Walcott and maybe Arteta just arent good enough for Arsenal football club, I think we have the same amount of talent in our squad as Everton or Newcastle have, my own personal opinion is that some of the players that play for us are very over rated amongst our fans especially Vermaelan who is an absolute clown defensively at times. Wenger is doing a great job the past few years but when he sold RVP that was the final nail in the coffin for our champions lge qualification hopes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Same old crap, it will all be forgotten if we continue our league form into the Villa game and get a result against Spurs then.

And the cycle will be then be repeated once Arsenal lose to QPR or the likes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Lets face it we just havent got the players anymore to be consistent enough to be challenging for the title, the likes of Chesney, Vermaelan, Mertesacker, Gibbs, Ramsey, Gervinho, Walcott and maybe Arteta just arent good enough for Arsenal football club, I think we have the same amount of talent in our squad as Everton or Newcastle have, my own personal opinion is that some of the players that play for us are very over rated amongst our fans especially Vermaelan who is an absolute clown defensively at times. Wenger is doing a great job the past few years but when he sold RVP that was the final nail in the coffin for our champions lge qualification hopes.

I agree no comparison between Vermaelen and the our main centre backs from the past 10-15 years. Jack Wilshere needs to be given the armband. He leads by example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

What are you on about with that list of players? This is the sort of over the top nonsense that happens when things aren't going well.

What are you on about with that list of players? This is the sort of over the top nonsense that happens when things aren't going well.
    Incase you havent noticed things haven't been going well for us the past few years. I maybe am a bit harsh on Gibbs and Arteta on that list but the rest I standby what I said that they arent good enough.

Man Utd fan here. I've always felt a bit frustrated on behalf of Arsenal fans (lots of my friends are fans) but getting rid of Arsene would be a huge mistake. I much preferred competing against Arsenal than the likes of City or Chelsea. I'm probably not up to date on specifics as many of you but the model your club has in place will be frustrating for some time but it's about to enter a time in football where ffp and other financial restrictions will be enforced.

Yeah I know they are a bit of an unknown quantity in that we don't know how well they will be enforced (City's owners also essentially are their sponsors....) but Arsenal are amazingly well placed to compete within the rules. I don't see that team being more than 2 to 3 signings away from being really competitive. It's not like getting rid of Arsene would change the financial model anyway. And changes higher up than that are unlikely to happen aren't they?

I'd wait until the summer and see what happens at the very least. Could be completely different next season... Sure this season isn't even over yet.

It would be a huge huge mistake if we got rid of Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Incase you havent noticed things haven't been going well for us the past few years. I maybe am a bit harsh on Gibbs and Arteta on that list but the rest I standby what I said that they arent good enough.

You're being harsh on everyone on that list except Gervinho, and possibly Ramsey (although he has shown recently how playing him in his actual position benefits him - plus he is also a player that always gives his all even when things aren't going well. Something that we are looking for in all our players).

I also agree that TV is overrated defensively but it doesn't mean he's not good enough.

Anyway, here's another good post about the ground hog day nature of Arsenal over the last few years.

http://gingers4limpar.com/?p=2665&utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=warchest-schmorrchest-weve-heard-this-one-before&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I don't think he's a million miles off to be honest may be a bit harsh on one or two players, for instance I know Arteta is a big fans favorite but would you have had in your team over Gilberto? I sure as hell wouldn't would Verm or Mert get near the team if we still had CB's of the caliber of Tony Adams? Not a chance.

Yeh they are good players no ones doubting that, but are they of the caliber of what we once had no there really not if were being totally honest.

Our only top class players imo are Wilshere and Cazorla with a few others not far behind in fairness but we have to many average to poor players really. Wenger of old would have got the best out of players these days he seems to struggle on that front so combine his own failures of late with a squad no longer as strong as we've had in the past and this is what has landed us were we are today a team with little to no hope of winning trophys and fans and club alike celebrating each year to hvae gotten the all important 4th once again. Like Arsenal us as fans over the years have let our own expectations and ambitions slide with the club.

If Gilles Grimandi was in this squad him and Kos would be our best centre halfs.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Many, not all, are that fickle. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

It would be a huge huge mistake if we got rid of Wenger.

We're in an irreversible decline and will go eight years without a trophy. Fear of life without Wenger is holding us back. You don't know if it would be a mistake or who our next manager might be - none of us do - but many of us are tired of the status quo and having to lower our expectations every seaseon. I want a fresh start with a new manager next summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

The reality is there is no world class player on our team.
    Theres no one even close to be honest.

People say cazorla but hes a poor mans juan mata to be brutally honest.

Wilshere showing great potential and could be in yeara to come.

Van persie and fabregas were the last world class players we had and you need these players to win premierships and champions leagues no ifs buts or maybes plain and simple

Van persie and fabregas were the last world class players we had and you need these players to win premierships and champions leagues no ifs buts or maybes plain and simple

Even I can see Cazorla is world class, the Juan Mata comment barely deserves a reply. Both excellent players with strong international experience (Cazorla 51 caps, Mata 21 caps). To get into the Spain squad regularly at any point in recent years pretty much classifies you as world class. Cazorla was Spanish player of the year in 2007. Absolute steal of a signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You don't keep selling your best players and expect to win things. Simple as.
    When you do that you do NOT show ambition. You are a selling club and selling clubs win nothing.

That is down to Wenger and the Board.

When Jack leaves in a few years to win things the penny will drop with any fans who still have their trust in Arsene.

I am personally unconvinced that Arsene still has what it takes to win things. The rot has set in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Mata has really taken off this season, but I would say that Cazorla is on a par with last season's Mata. Give Cazorla the chance to fully adapt to the EPL before comparing them

You don't keep selling your best players and expect to win things. Simple as.
    When you do that you do NOT show ambition. You are a selling club and selling clubs win nothing.

That is down to Wenger and the Board.

When Jack leaves in a few years to win things the penny will drop with any fans who still have their trust in Arsene.

I am personally unconvinced that Arsene still has what it takes to win things. The rot has set in.

This is true - the key thing for me is how complicit Wenger is in the selling of players. If it is down to him or at least down to him and the board together, then I don't think Wenger should stay on. If the board are ordering the sales over his head then I still see a future for him at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

I can''t see any way that Wenger would be the main instigator in selling our best players. I'm 99% confident that his hands are largely tied in these transfers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Sacramento wrote: »
    Even I can see Cazorla is world class, the Juan Mata comment barely deserves a reply. Both excellent players with strong international experience (Cazorla 51 caps, Mata 21 caps). To get into the Spain squad regularly at any point in recent years pretty much classifies you as world class. Cazorla was Spanish player of the year in 2007. Absolute steal of a signing.

ill admit its being harsh on cazorla but werent we suppose to get mata but lost him to chelsea so then we buy cazorla?

my point is our squad is full of players that are obviously not good enough to win big trophies and lets be fair most of them wouldnt last a month under alex ferguson. wenger has clogged the squad with sh*t

greendom wrote: »
    This is true - the key thing for me is how complicit Wenger is in the selling of players. If it is down to him or at least down to him and the board together, then I don't think Wenger should stay on. If the board are ordering the sales over his head then I still see a future for him at the club.

It's not just that on it's own.
    Wenger can no longer seem to motivate the team and the players don't seem to fear him when they have a stinker. I really don't think he has what it takes anymore. After watching him lose it today I fear for his mental health too although those reporters are prats in general.

I really couldn't care less who we have as manager as long as the team plays with guts, determination and pride in the jersey. We haven't seen that on a regular basis in years now.

It's not just that on it's own.
    Wenger can no longer seem to motivate the team and the players don't seem to fear him when they have a stinker. I really don't think he has what it takes anymore. After watching him lose it today I fear for his mental health too although those reporters are prats in general.

I really couldn't care less who we have as manager as long as the team plays with guts, determination and pride in the jersey. We haven't seen that on a regular basis in years now.

Let's see the reaction tomorrow. I'm hopeful that they'll really show what they're capable of.

• Advertisement

Let's see the reaction tomorrow. I'm hopeful that they'll really show what they're capable of.

Even a good result tomorrow means f*ck all. It's the teams they're meant to beat is the problem.

As other posters have said they could go out and hammer Bayern tomorrow (hopefully they will) but then lose to some mickey mouse team in a week or two.
    No consistency. Losing two important games to sides like Bradford and Blackburn in the same season is really unforgivable.

A friend in London tells me that the fans have planned a protest in the 8th minute of Saturday's game to mark our 8th barren season. The natives are getting restless it seems.

As other posters have said they could go out and hammer Bayern tomorrow (hopefully they will) but then lose to some mickey mouse team in a week or two.
    No consistency. Losing two important games to sides like Bradford and Blackburn in the same season is really unforgivable.

A friend in London tells me that the fans have planned a protest in the 8th minute of Saturday's game to mark our 8th barren season. The natives are getting restless it seems.

I'm getting pretty restless myself. I know he has made mistakes but Wenger is not the root cause of the current problems and getting rid of him won't solve a thing.

Even a good result tomorrow means f*ck all. It's the teams they're meant to beat is the problem.

A win tomorrow would mean an awful lot to me. Especially if it's coupled with getting to the last 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

And so it begins.......
    Barcelona defender Dani Alves urges Spanish champions to make move for Arsenal's Jack Wilshere

“He is a great player who we have met playing against Arsenal and without doubt he can reach the height of the players we have here at Barcelona like Xavi and Iniesta,” Alves said.
    “He has a lot of quality and a great personality. If I was given the chance to choose, he is a player that I would sign for Barcelona.”

Source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

iMuse wrote: »
    And so it begins.......

They can Piss off :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

There are two problems at Arsenal:

1: player quality

2: mentality

1: We do not have the strength we used to have and followng the influx of endless pits of money, cannot hope to attract the top end players anymore. Look back a few years, where would Bergkamp, Vieira, Petit, Pires go nowadays?? Would we be the ones paying the big wages for Sol Campbell's free move? Of all the clubs, we have lost the most since the billionaires came to town. Wenger is not responsible for the fact that the best striker he could get was getting relegated in Germany. It's not his fault that we got Cazorla but Silva and Mata had gone to other clubs. We cannot play at that table because we don't have the money, and unless something changes there are only three teams that will ever win the premiership again.

2: The fact that somewhere after the invincibles, Arsenal became mentally weak as a unit, I think stemmed from playing a disproportionate amount of young and inexperienced players, particularly in defence. Others would say it's shifting from an out and out DMF to the double pivot. Some would say we just have **** defenders. Anyway, whatever it is, it's never been adressed properly. However, if I'm one of the best paid managers on the planet, I'd find it or get someone else to find it for me. it's Wenger's fault that this continues and that we throw matches away from positions where other teams would have no problem seeing it out. The fact that we just followed our most resolute performance of the season up with one of our worst speaks volumes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

People wonder why I cheer for Madrid in Classicos..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

iMuse wrote: »
    And so it begins.......

Sorry Dani you overrated bastard, but Jack has Arsenal DNA only.

blobby360 wrote: »
    They can Piss off :mad:

I saw Rooney kissing the badge on his Everton shirt in front of their fans.
    Three weeks later he was kissing the United badge.

Look at it from Jack's position. He has seen his team again fail to stay in two domestic cups and have yet another barren year. At Barca he could earn much more and win loads. Hope it's all bull but .......

Do not rule anything out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

good post i found
    I agree with every single one of your criticisms. They're really spot-on and this on-going situation rightfully calls for such heavy criticisms on Wenger and the team.

However, I personally still want Arsene to stay despite acknowledging that he has repeatedly committed serious mistakes that have cost the team. No, I do not think he will significantly change his habits or outlook, but what I do think is that he has managed to and still manages to produce a list of positives to partially offset those mistakes. Additionally, I feel that Wenger really can't be faulted fully for some of the setbacks we've experienced. In fact, he can be considered significantly unlucky in some terms and I sympathize with him.

One of those is the players' departures. You may disagree with me, but I fully sympathize with Wenger on this case. At the end of the day, some things are up to the character and loyalty of players. For example, VP spent years on our payroll as an under-performing, injury-ridden footballer who had yet to fill expectations of himself. After a season and a half of consistent football, he basically forced a transfer for himself. This is the playing field these days, with the club rendered almost helpless in the face of the player's desires. I don't need to mention specifically all the other names, but the list goes on and on. We all saw Wenger desperately fight it out for Fabregas, but one can resist only so long when your other options is losing your player on a free. Similar stories for Song, Hleb, Flamini, Nasri, Adebayor, etc. For years, anybody who shined a little has packed his bags and cried for an exit, literally stabbing Wenger and the club, who kept their faith in them and waited for them to grow into their potential, in the back. For me, it is really admirable that he still manages to speak respectfully of these players, as I would be tempted to call them out and degrade them.

And please, no one give me the "They left because they were tired of not winning" excuse. The players themselves are just as responsible for their failures on the pitch as Wenger, if not more. It is also up to them to not consistently f' up and let theirs fan and, especially, their manager down, who repeatedly protected them and shielded them from criticisms. I am confident if these players hadn't forced their exits and had stayed put, the club's recent records would have been significantly different. The players' escapes are more the cause of Wenger's situation than the other way around. And like I said, lots depend on the character and loyalty of the players. If I have the audacity to publicly state "My manager is like my second father," then I wouldn't leave him flat footed for the 'wolves' to devour. Just look at the likes of Totti, De Rossi, and Gerrard who could have easily had much more glorious and high-paying careers but chose to stay loyal to their fans and clubs. Arsenal lacks nothing in stature to these clubs and deserves the same amount of respect and devotion.

Secondly, I am mostly proud of Arsene's transfer policy. I never want Arsenal to overpay for any player or make panic buys. I think Wenger has shown with his latest string of buys that he is always looking to make quality additions to the squad. It is just that they are hard to come buy for their actual price. Podolski, Cazorla, Nacho, Giroud, Arteta, Mertesacker. These are a string of recent quality purchases. However, we have to realize that when buying players you can't completely devalue your current players. Yes, we need quality additions but lots of people are ready to completely write off many of our players who still have a lot to contribute, such as Ramsey. Just a couple of months ago, people were calling Giroud 'Chamakh 2.0' but he has proven them wrong and shown that he is an asset. As a manager, you have no option but to benefit from your players (Unless you can throw 10 million euros of investment in the trash and buy a 20 million euro replacement). This is why I can't blame him for insisting on the likes of Gervinho who was one of the most influential players in the Lille side who became champions and is a key player for a strong Ivory Coast side (they are especially overloaded with talent up top, and he still manages to get playing time and contribute). I feel Gervinho's issue is mostly psychological, but I do agree that he needs to solve his issues and start pulling his weight. He is used up almost all of his credit, but as a manager you have to try and revive your investment. We can't just call for his head, then both Gervinho and the club lose. If he succeeds, then both the club and he succeeds. Just look at Chelsea. They are also insistent on Torres for the exact same reason. The difference is that, for them 50 million euros is an unwastable investment, where for us that amount is more like 10-15 million euros.

The financial restraints on the club are not just imaginary ones. They're real as it gets. And honestly, Wenger is the last person to blame for super-rich clubs acting totally irresponsible and insane, and UEFA failing to instill any financial fair play rules. To me it is as if, a few strong lobbied clubs were fixing games and UEFA overlooking the situation; then coming in to blame Wenger for also not having such influential lobby groups and not attempting to buy out matches. Personally, even if it was the contrary and Arsenal was without all financial restrictions, I would still prefer an idealistic approach rather than a greedy purchasing approach like City or Chelsea. The stadium is now paid off and sponsor money is coming, as we all know. I would like Wenger to now show some more ambition and flexibility, but still I do not want him to go nuts and buy a completely new squad. I prefer the more romantic and more sensible route. Quality players for reasonable prices. Also let's not forget, not only Wenger's players have been hijacked from him for the past years, but also his transfer targets. Most recently, Mata, Hazard, and Zaha come to mind.

I know we have heard these 'excuses' as some may call them. But they are not minor details. They are immense factors that are being really overlooked and underestimated.

For me, I am satisfied to see Arsenal as this sort-of beacon of idealism in football. Please, nobody come in and say that "But Arsenal also do this and they also do that." At the end of the day, there really is only a handful of clubs left in football who have any ideals and principles what-so-ever. And yes, maybe Arsenal also infringe on the dark-side sometimes from the perspective of smaller clubs, but, for me, what they are doing is admirable regardless. I do want the club to be ambitious and competitive and not just be content on adhering to these principles, but, also, I won't bash them to death for not being so successful.

Yes, Wenger really has some stubbornness in him and some of his decisions really seem poor. Rentboy really touched on a lot of what's wrong with the current picture. But evaluating the situation with slightly different criteria produces different conclusions. I do not expect Wenger to radically transform himself and his policies. I think he is changing just like everything and everyone else does day by day, year by year. I think his latest signings and the Walcott saga speak volumes for his recent adaptations and his lessons learned the hard way. If he stays he will continue with this project with mostly the same positives and the same negatives and stubbornness. I don't know how to wrap all this up, but basically I like Wenger and I wish for him to stay and continue his project.

Also, I don't get people asking for Jurgen Klopp or some other managers who basically apply the same model at their current clubs. Don't get me wrong, I am fan of Klopp, but Just look at Dortmund. They've basically had to sell their top talent to the more financially powerful top-dogs of Europe just as Arsenal. They've had to part ways with Barrios, Nuri Sahin, Kagawa, and will have a tough time holding on to players like Hummels, Subotic, Gotze, Reus, and Lewandowski. It's just unavoidable that cash-strapped clubs will swoop in to temp these players away from the club. It's just that no one has complained about Dortmund's situation because people do not perceive them as the same stature as Arsenal and have lower expectations from them. But the reality is, in terms of finances, they're on more comparable grounds as both clubs are attempting to thrive from their own mean. Also, since Dortmund have benefited financially from these transfers, people look at their persistence to be successful in admiration. Arsenal and Wenger have been doing the same thing for years now, but no one is impressed by Arsenal's financials successes or football resilience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Long time lurker, first time poster.

All this talk of ffp gets right on my t1ts. I have zero faith in uefa to enforce them properly and we'll end up like the nerdy kid who behaves while everyone else is going crazy when the teacher's left the classroom. Who really cares that we have a second rate team as long as we meet the ffp rules?

While I don't want to join the "Wenger Out" chorus, I have some serious reservations about his ability to get us out of the situation we are in. He doesn't seem to be having the same transfer success as before. Forget about the marquee signing, that's never been Arsene's way, but where are the players with potential that can come good at Arsenal? Its been a while since one of Arsene's leftfield transfers bears fruit (Chamakh, Edoardo etc etc). It could be argued that even Walcott hasn't fufilled his potential ("I have been consistent in patches" argh!).

He also currently lacks a cogent transfer policy. Last season's supermarket sweep being a case in point. We probably lucked out with Arteta, but Santos? Really? Also, Santi aside, we aren't targeting players in the top, or close to top drawer. Chelsea (presumably under the same ffp restrictions as us) sign Ba with minimum fuss but we're left sticking with what we've got.

And what we have isn't a team that is carefully built using matching pieces over the years. We have a team that is strong in some parts and patched together in others. That is why we're frustrated; if the team was being properly rebuilt, we could at least hope for better days ahead. But I can't see it as things currently stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Had to laugh at the press conference yesterday,why are you looking at me?

Because its your press conference,ha oh arsene!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I saw Rooney kissing the badge on his Everton shirt in front of their fans.
    Three weeks later he was kissing the United badge.

Look at it from Jack's position. He has seen his team again fail to stay in two domestic cups and have yet another barren year. At Barca he could earn much more and win loads. Hope it's all bull but .......

Do not rule anything out.

2018 is a pretty big contract though. unless something changes at Arsenal, I wouldn't at all rule out the prospect of him giving us 3-4 great years and moving on. it's not going to be anytime soon though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Graeme Bailey ‏@GraemeBailey
    Athletic Bilbao defender Fernando Amorebieta's agent claims he has held talks with Arsenal regarding a summer move. http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/8509535/Athletic-Bilbao-defender-Fernando-Amorebieta-in-talks-with-Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I wonder at any stage in the last few years has Wenger stood back and though to himself, maybe Its time to move on. I would doubt it but there surely has to have been some moments where he has been tempted to leave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Hyperbole in the late capitalist corporate media knows no bounds, I watched his 'meltdown' on the Guardian website and just saw a mildly irritated bloke making a few points and putting a few things straight, the way it's been reported, especially in the Red Tops you'd have thought he was swearing, shouting, jumping on the table, grabbing the journo's by the throat, etc.

dd972 wrote: »
    Hyperbole in the late capitalist corporate media knows no bounds, I watched his 'meltdown' on the Guardian website and just saw a mildly irritated bloke making a few points and putting a few things straight, the way it's been reported, especially in the Red Tops you'd have thought he was swearing, shouting, jumping on the table, grabbing the journo's by the throat, etc.

"Why are you looking at me? " .... journalist "it's your press conference".

Tonight's game will be a huge test for Arsenal.
    We can hold our own in midfield with anyone but will have to make the most of what chances we create. 30 chances against lowly Blackburn but zero goals. Only one clear chance though.
    The big problem for us are our full-backs tonight. I doubt they can cope with wingers running at them but i pray they can.
    We can do without goalkeeping errors too. We have had far too many this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

wonga77 wrote: »
    I wonder at any stage in the last few years has Wenger stood back and though to himself, maybe Its time to move on. I would doubt it but there surely has to have been some moments where he has been tempted to leave?

He's stubborn and see's it as a challenge, he stuck with monaco when everyone knew tapie and marseille were fixing matches(they only ever proved the Valenciennes match but supposedly there was alot more). the sugar daddys are his challenge, not the same or as bad as match fixing but a challenge still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

He's stubborn and see's it as a challenge, he stuck with monaco when everyone knew tapie and marseille were fixing matches(they only ever proved the Valenciennes match but supposedly there was alot more). the sugar daddys are his challenge, not the same or as bad as match fixing but a challenge still.

Ah heeere!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement