Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Raf32 wrote: »
    Graeme Bailey ‏@GraemeBailey
    Athletic Bilbao defender Fernando Amorebieta's agent claims he has held talks with Arsenal regarding a summer move. http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/8509535/Athletic-Bilbao-defender-Fernando-Amorebieta-in-talks-with-Arsenal

I'd hope there are three of four of these lined up as Monreal was.

We might finally get to a place when a bad peformance or two sees you dropped to the bench.

greendom wrote: »
    I'm getting pretty restless myself. I know he has made mistakes but Wenger is not the root cause of the current problems and getting rid of him won't solve a thing.

I totally agree with that. I can remember George Graham was getting relative peanuts to sign players near the end of his tenure considering United were signing Keane, Andy Cole, etc
    I saw Rooney kissing the badge on his Everton shirt in front of their fans.
    Three weeks later he was kissing the United badge.

Look at it from Jack's position. He has seen his team again fail to stay in two domestic cups and have yet another barren year. At Barca he could earn much more and win loads. Hope it's all bull but .......

Do not rule anything out.

Sadly your right. I do think ideally Jack would like to win things with Arsenal and it would be of ten fold more value then any amount of money but if he isnt winning things then id say he may inevitably go. He wont go straight away but we need to start getting our act together and start winning things
    Raf32 wrote: »
    Graeme Bailey ‏@GraemeBailey
    Athletic Bilbao defender Fernando Amorebieta's agent claims he has held talks with Arsenal regarding a summer move. http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/8509535/Athletic-Bilbao-defender-Fernando-Amorebieta-in-talks-with-Arsenal

He is the sort of player we seem to go for these times age profile wise. Whats this player like? Hopefully not another Squillachi type

smilerf wrote: »
    I still can't believe Sanchez Watt is on our books ffs!

Watt would be better suited to a championship/mid table prem team but ill say one thing for him, he is a game lad. Was very impressed with his workrate when we won the youth cup in 2008

I'm getting pretty restless myself. I know he has made mistakes but Wenger is not the root cause of the current problems and getting rid of him won't solve a thing.

Where does it begin and end though? If he's accepting that he's being tied-up money-wise then he should be trying to make the most of what he has, and that's not happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gosplan wrote: »
    There are two problems at Arsenal:

1: player quality

2: mentality

1: We do not have the strength we used to have and followng the influx of endless pits of money, cannot hope to attract the top end players anymore. Look back a few years, where would Bergkamp, Vieira, Petit, Pires go nowadays?? Would we be the ones paying the big wages for Sol Campbell's free move? Of all the clubs, we have lost the most since the billionaires came to town. Wenger is not responsible for the fact that the best striker he could get was getting relegated in Germany. It's not his fault that we got Cazorla but Silva and Mata had gone to other clubs. We cannot play at that table because we don't have the money, and unless something changes there are only three teams that will ever win the premiership again.

2: The fact that somewhere after the invincibles, Arsenal became mentally weak as a unit, I think stemmed from playing a disproportionate amount of young and inexperienced players, particularly in defence. Others would say it's shifting from an out and out DMF to the double pivot. Some would say we just have **** defenders. Anyway, whatever it is, it's never been adressed properly. However, if I'm one of the best paid managers on the planet, I'd find it or get someone else to find it for me. it's Wenger's fault that this continues and that we throw matches away from positions where other teams would have no problem seeing it out. The fact that we just followed our most resolute performance of the season up with one of our worst speaks volumes.

I'm not sure I buy this mentally weak argument. A league table based solely on the 2nd half of matches would put Arsenal first in the table. It shows that we are getting things royally wrong in first half of matches but I don't think there's much wrong with player's mentality - having said that I've no idea what went on at Old Trafford earlier this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Where does it begin and end though? If he's accepting that he's being tied-up money-wise then he should be trying to make the most of what he has, and that's not happening.

Arsene used to completely own the transfer market. Picking up World Class players for next to nothing. We were completely spoilt as were the board and they thought they had the goose who could continually lay golden transfer eggs. Unfortunately the EPL has caught up with him and that advantage doesn't exist any more and the board has to stump up if it wants to bring players of the sort of quality that Arsene used to bring in. It doesn't seem prepared to do that and the quality has declined as a result.

Arsene used to completely own the transfer market. Picking up World Class players for next to nothing. We were completely spoilt as were the board and they thought they had the goose who could continually lay golden transfer eggs. Unfortunately the EPL has caught up with him and that advantage doesn't exist any more and the board has to stump up if it wants to bring players of the sort of quality that Arsene used to bring in. It doesn't seem prepared to do that and the quality has declined as a result.
    That's not what I'm getting at. He seems determined to have our current players play in a way that they're not good enough to win consistently. The buck stops with him on that. He knows what he can and can't spend but doesn't seem to have adapted for half a dozen years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Up In a heap all day, no were underdogs, form says we don't have a hope.
    All goes out the window come kick off

And to think some posters want to give all this up in the hope the board change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Nervous as fcuk for tonight's game fearing the worst but hoping for the best about sums it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

Nervous of fcuk for tonight's game fearing the worst but hoping for the best about sums it up.

+1 keep thinking we can pull of a great result then a second later realize we could get a good beating don't know what way to be feeling about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Nervous as fcuk for tonight's game fearing the worst but hoping for the best about sums it up.

Just finished drilling the hole in the back of the sofa so I can peep at the t.v. every few minutes.

Personally, i think we'll win tonight. We'll have a strong team and the pressure is on. The overall tie im not so sure about though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Personally, i think we'll win tonight. We'll have a strong team and the pressure is on. The overall tie im not so sure about though

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if went out and won 7-0 tonight and lost 8-0 in the away leg. Or at the same time lose 4-0 tonight and win 3-0 away.

However, given Monreal is out I don't expect a clean sheet in either game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

dd972 wrote: »
    Hyperbole in the late capitalist corporate media knows no bounds, I watched his 'meltdown' on the Guardian website and just saw a mildly irritated bloke making a few points and putting a few things straight, the way it's been reported, especially in the Red Tops you'd have thought he was swearing, shouting, jumping on the table, grabbing the journo's by the throat, etc.

Same here. I was expecting something big, instead it was just him being annoyed. Massively over exaggerated. Fergie probably does something similar most weekends!
    He doesn't seem to be having the same transfer success as before.

Because other teams copied him so they also spot the players early. Doesnt help that there are quite a few teams who can easily outbid us either.
    Its been a while since one of Arsene's leftfield transfers bears fruit (Chamakh, Edoardo etc etc). It could be argued that even Walcott hasn't fufilled his potential ("I have been consistent in patches" argh!).
    Jenkinson hasnt done half bad. He was on loan in the conference before we signed him. Cant get much more left field than that.
    Also, Santi aside, we aren't targeting players in the top, or close to top drawer. Chelsea (presumably under the same ffp restrictions as us) sign Ba with minimum fuss but we're left sticking with what we've got.

We cant afford to get involved in bidding wars so once someone like Chelsea decide they want a player, we dont have a chance. If we offer someone £80,000 a week, Chelsea etc could offer £150,000 without thinking twice. At this point, we dont have the money to compete for the top players anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Big night for Walcott and Ramsey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Poldi or Walcott through the middle??? What do we think??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Enjoy lads going to avoid the match thread. Unless its going well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

piss poor so far. Theres just no threat going forward and the defending is clueless, no pace or width and we cant even cross it into the box properly (not that theres anyone there to win a header anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Id love to see people defend that abysmal performance first half. \utterly embarassing for the club, yet again. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Depressing lads just heart breaking stuff watching this team. Vermaelan is horrendous he should be not starting for us whatsoever, how poor is Podolski as well he offers absolutely nothing to the team especially on the wing no pace or guile he isnt Arsenal class ffs! Feel sorry for the likes of Arteta, Wilshere, Kos & Cazorla.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Depressing lads just heart breaking stuff watching this team. Vermaelan is horrendous he should be not starting for us whatsoever, how poor is Podolski as well he offers absolutely nothing to the team especially on the wing no pace or guile he isnt Arsenal class ffs! Feel sorry for the likes of Arteta, Wilshere, Kos & Cazorla.

Tonight would put serious doubts in Wilshere's allegiance to Arsenal i'd say.
    Nothing to be won here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

well it can't get much worse. i'm not pissed off at losing to bayern, they're the best team in europe i think, but i'm so disappointed in this season being such a damp squib.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Tonight would put serious doubts in Wilshere's allegiance to Arsenal i'd say.
    Nothing to be won here.

No offence mate, and I usually agree with what you say, but its been twice now, so it has to be said. Will ya ever piss off with the talk of Wilshire leaving. I'm all for finding flaws and pointing them out but fabricating shít about our best and most dedicated player is really not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

If by some miracle they actually sign players this summers they need to start at the back. Major surgery is needed in this team. Wilshere is the only leader in the whole squad

Knocked out of two competitions in the space of a week. Now where have we seen that before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Knocked out of two competitions in the space of a week. Now where have we seen that before?

When were we knocked out of the Champions League?

TheGunns wrote: »
    When were we knocked out of the Champions League?

Tonight and you are deluded if you think we are gonna score at least 3 goals in the Allianz.

Great performance, we were unlucky. I wish I'd backed us before the match to win the tournament because we're probably less than evens now. Great stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Tonight and you are deluded if you think we are gonna score at least 3 goals in the Allianz.

I would love to go through purely to shut fans like you the fcuk up

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    No offence mate, and I usually agree with what you say, but its been twice now, so it has to be said. Will ya ever piss off with the talk of Wilshire leaving. I'm all for finding flaws and pointing them out but fabricating shít about our best and most dedicated player is really not on.

Piss off yourself.
    I didn't start the Wilshere leaving post. It was another poster.
    BUT it wouldn't surprise me at all.
    We have seen it often enough before or don't you remember.

i'd love to go through but Bayern are too strong. I just hope the heads dont drop and we have a decent end to the season, spend some furking money in the summer and prepare for next year.

I sound like a pool fan!

Ah would you be quiet. Id more than love to be wrong, but sadly im not. So what did you think of that performance out there? Ya think we defended well yeah?

bad2dabone wrote: »

i'd love to go through but Bayern are too strong. I just hope the heads dont drop and we have a decent end to the season, spend some furking money in the summer and prepare for next year.

I sound like a pool fan!
    Yep and I read it and agreed with it like a Pool fan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

It's fans like him we need! Take off your rose tinted glasses everything isn't hunky dory!! You'd be deluded to think we're gonna go through, Bayern are too strong for us. We aren't gonna score 3 at the Allianz, I'd love it if we did and I'd apologise for this little outburst a thousand times, but there's not a hope in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Jack looks like he's about to burst into tears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Disgraceful performance. We didn't deserve anything out of the match either. The only reason we scored was because of a Bayern f*ck up. The vast majority of the team spent the night strolling around the place, looking like they had somewhere better to be. Completely wrong decision by Wenger to Walcott up front and he should have been substituted instead of Podolski.

The absolute sickner of the whole night was the fans. I heard maybe 3 chants for the entire match. It was more like a Bayern home match than an Arsenal one. If you are not going to cheer and support your team when they need it, stay at home and watch it on TV because you will have the same effect. Give the ticket to someone who will support the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

farna_boy wrote: »
    Disgraceful performance. We didn't deserve anything out of the match either. The only reason we scored was because of a Bayern f*ck up. The vast majority of the team spent the night strolling around the place, looking like they had somewhere better to be. Completely wrong decision by Wenger to Walcott up front and he should have been substituted instead of Podolski.

The absolute sickner of the whole night was the fans. I heard maybe 3 chants for the entire match. It was more like a Bayern home match than an Arsenal one. If you are not going to cheer and support your team when they need it, stay at home and watch it on TV because you will have the same effect. Give the ticket to someone who will support the team.

You must have had your tv on mute then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

rabble rabble 'Wenger Out' rabble rabble

• Advertisement

I see what you're saying there but before the match and for the first few minutes the fans were well behind the team. The team isnt giving the fans anything to cheer about. The defending in recent games has been diabolical. Tonight and against Liverpool was some of the poorest goals ive seen at this level to concede.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Proper upset after that. Bayern were just better all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

apart from a few boos at ht and ft I thought the fans made plenty of noise :confused:

not that they had much to cheer about

efb wrote: »

What would it take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

You're wrong there mate. Phil McNulty ‏@philmcnulty
    Some Arsenal fans leaving now - they've backed their team superbly tonight, even in defeat.

Tell you what though, Wilshere is outstanding, world class. Most of the rest of them are a disgrace, if I was him I wouldnt even be able to look around the dressing room.

efb wrote: »
    There hasn't been a single post saying this?

• Advertisement

i'm heading over for the villa game on saturday - i hope there's a big reaction to the past 7 days from this team. They have the talent - mostly - they just a boot in the hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

the boy is too much.

Arsenal's Jack Wilshere: "We take it to their place & we need a few goals. We have the players to do it, we just have to start better."

We are so lucky to have him. The reason to buy a few players is to give him a chance at winning what he wants with the club he loves. Whatever about the manager, surely we have reached a tipping point in terms of acknowlding the squad just isn't good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Walcott 18 (11)
    Giroud 14 (9)
    Podolski 13 (9)
    Cazorla 9 (9)
    Gervinho 5 (3)
    Arteta 4 (4)
    Mr. Owen Goal 3 (3)
    Chamakh 2 (0)
    Koscielny 2 (1)
    Oxlade-Chamberlain 2 (1)
    Wilshere 2 (0)
    Arshavin 1 (0)
    Gibbs 1 (0)
    Mertesacker 1 (1)
    Miquel 1 (0)
    Ramsey 1 (0)
    Rosicky 1 (0)
    Vermaelen 1 (0)

(League goals in brackets)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Too much emphasis was put on Sagna tonight to get forward. Having Verm at LB killed our threat going down that side of the pitch.

Rosicky should start ahead of Ramsey for the return leg.

4 4 ****ing 2. Giroud and Podoski up front.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement