Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

gosplan wrote: »

Granted but you're forgetting the original point.

The question was how will the 'Wenger out' people feel if we get third.

My point was we can always get third but are producing the same seasons and points total year after year. Us finishing third means we did our usual thing and Chelsea weren't at the races that year. It doesn't signify any kind of progression.

To be fair when you consider this is the first time in a few years we haven't been overly reliant on one player then to finish third could be looked at as some progression. Now more than at any stage over the past 5 years we have a team rather than an individual saving us. When you consider that this team has only been together for one season and has gone through the ringer at times then coming out the other side with a CL place would be very encouraging. The big thing here is that we won't have any distracting 'big player out saga' this Summer which will give wenger the chance to make the right additions and allow us to push on next srason. I believe if we finish top 4 this season then its gentle evolution, not revolution that will be required this Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

gosplan wrote: »
    We've just carved out a new niche in the table - upper middle!

I prefer lower-top :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

So the club has just announced a pre tax profit of 17.8 million and cash reserve of 123.3 million, no money my arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

So the club has just announced a profit of 17.8 million and cash reserve of 123.3 million, no money my arse.

That's another trophy for the board then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

So the club has just announced a pre tax profit of 17.8 million and cash reserve of 123.3 million, no money my arse.
    Intrestingly swiss ramble has been disecting the numbers on twitter this one stands out.
    #AFC Interims results: excluding property profit £2m and profit from player sales £43m, AFC actually made a loss of £27m before tax.

Anyone on twitter should follow he does all the clubs @SwissRamble

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

All the top teams have been crap defensively this season imo. Us being joint second best doesn't mean our defence has been good at all.

Intrestingly swiss ramble has been disecting the numbers on twitter this one stands out.

I dont think that tweet hold ups since if ya read the report on the club website we made a profit from selling players of 42.5 million but also spent 40.9 million on players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I dont think that tweet hold ups since if ya read the report on the club website we made a profit from selling players of 42.5 million but also spent 40.5 million on players.
    Thats right I forgot that sale of a player gets booked as a proft straight away but the cost of buying the player is counted over the length of his contract I hate accounting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Mickeroo wrote: »
    All the top teams have been crap defensively this season imo. Us being joint second best doesn't mean our defence has been good at all.

It shows that we haven't been crappier than anyone else though

EDIT and I think the "experts" display far more scorn and negative criticism towards our defence compared to any other team in the top half of the table

• Advertisement

#AFC Interims results: excluding property profit £2m and profit from player sales £43m, AFC actually made a loss of £27m before tax.

Not that intersting, if money in from player sales is included and money spent on buying players is excluded then most clubs would make a loss. Arsenal took in the 43m for Song, Vela and the dutch skunk. But they pretty much broke even in transfer ins/outs as they spent around 41m on Podolski/Cazorla/Giroud. Transfers In AND Out excluded, we still made a comfortable profit.

Edit; Above has pretty much already been pointed out by Marty McFly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yes better for the Board and shareholders than any Cup or Title :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Why do we need such vast cash reserves?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

To be fair when you consider this is the first time in a few years we haven't been overly reliant on one player then to finish third could be looked at as some progression. Now more than at any stage over the past 5 years we have a team rather than an individual saving us. When you consider that this team has only been together for one season and has gone through the ringer at times then coming out the other side with a CL place would be very encouraging. The big thing here is that we won't have any distracting 'big player out saga' this Summer which will give wenger the chance to make the right additions and allow us to push on next srason. I believe if we finish top 4 this season then its gentle evolution, not revolution that will be required this Summer.

Good post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

So my first game went according to plan! Was a poor enough performance overall but the three points were the most important thing. Really enjoyed the whole experience, it was great to be able to finally put an image to the names i'd read about so many times over the years. Have to say I was surprised at the lack of singing. It was only small pockets of fans singing from time to time rather than the whole stadium, though it was cranked up when we were going for the winner. The banter with the Villa fans was good fun though. Hope to go back again soon, am definitely hooked now! Anyway on to Sunday, time to update the old wallpaper :)

1361813505_zps49050311.jpg

I see Chamack can't even make the West Ham team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

ah for fcuk sake :mad:

bale pulling them out of the fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Bale with a 91st minute winner. I could cry, I really could.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

God I hate Gareth Bale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Have a feeling that's the moment we lost our champions league place.

Had Bale first goal and Spurs 3-1 @ 50/1, worst of both worlds that result.

If a win this weekend would have put us ahead of them I'd have fancied us.

• Advertisement

villas boas seems to have them playing with belief. i dont think theyll collapse this year - if we want 4th were going to have to go balls out and take it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

You could be right there. Bale keeps on doing it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Only we can lose our champions league place, it's not like Spurs and Chelsea aren't going to drop points as the season goes on.

We've 11 games left. I'm confident 7 wins, 3 draws and 1 defeat will be enough (71 pts), as long as we win on Sunday.

Sunday is the game that will define our season. Lose and we're 7 points behind them and we won't catch them. Win and we still have a fight on our hands but would be favourites to finish ahead of them with the remaining fixtures.

They won't lie down this year so we will have to be able to put them down.

Now, a reality check for some people tonight, Tottenham ain't just gonna roll over and watch us sail past them. I know we don't like them but way too many posters have been dismissing them here recently. The depth of their squad has been criticised (despite the fact ours isn't much better), it has been taken for granted that they will drop points (as though they will and we won't...), they've been written off as a one man team but that one man has not been having injury issues and he is regularly delivering for them.

And to think, someone here recently predicted that they would draw 8 of their next 9 games...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

We have to forget about Spurs - as in the Arsenal team - we have to just concentrate on getting points from all our remaining games, wins mainly, and after that we can do no more.

Spurs will drop points, they have a tough run in coupled with a two legged Europa tie with Inter, which I fancy them to win, so that'll be another 2 games for them at least and they are this far in the Europa League they will want to win it.

Absolute poxy w@nkers the Spuds! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Its a dog fight to the bitter end and we had better be up for it, a win at the weekend will be the start.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

A loss at the weekend means no CL football.

Jesus didn't know we were turning into Spurs and focusing so much attention on them and there results ;).

This is the Arsenal thread when we win next week it be all good :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

jordainius wrote: »
    Now, a reality check for some people tonight, Tottenham ain't just gonna roll over and watch us sail past them. I know we don't like them but way too many posters have been dismissing them here recently. The depth of their squad has been criticised (despite the fact ours isn't much better), it has been taken for granted that they will drop points (as though they will and we won't...), they've been written off as a one man team but that one man has not been having injury issues and he is regularly delivering for them.

And to think, someone here recently predicted that they would draw 8 of their next 9 games...
    I think the reality check is needed for those who think spurs are the best in the world and we have no chance of passing them. They and Chelsea have far worse run in than we do. If we beat them, we'll only need them to draw once if we win the rest of our games. I definetly cant see spurs winning all of their games so it's still wide open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Gary Neville: "Tony Adams is the best England captain I've ever played under. He was a colossal."

It's getting harder and harder to keep disliking Neville!

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I think the reality check is needed for those who think spurs are the best in the world and we have no chance of passing them. They and Chelsea have far worse run in than we do. If we beat them, we'll only need them to draw once if we win the rest of our games. I definetly cant see spurs winning all of their games so it's still wide open.

Gary Neville: "Tony Adams is the best England captain I've ever played under. He was a colossal."

It's getting harder and harder to keep disliking Neville!

A colossal what? :pac:

i havent seen anybody saying spurs are the best in the world? lets be realistic - whatever about spurs dropping points do you honestly see us winning most of our games between now and the end of the season?

people are talking about the likes of fulham and west brom as if the games are already won. there are no easy run ins for us as was pointed out a couple of pages back weve had poor enough run ins for the last couple of seasons losing to the likes of qpr and wigan.

we can only go on the seasons form up to this point and what ive seen doesnt inspire confidence. the game on sunday will tell a lot though

So the reality check is needed for nobody on the planet then?

If you're saying I am saying that- I'm sorry but you are a blind idiot who can only make a point by lies, misinformation and deliberately misrepresenting what people say.

None of your post applies to me as I never said we have "no chance" of catching them. So I have to ask; why have you quoted me??

There's a big difference between saying we have no chance and pointing out that we shouldn't take Tottenham and their more difficult run in for granted. Tottenham's more difficult run in will count for nothing if we drop points to relegation battling teams like we have done every season in our run in for the last 3 or 4 years.

If we take it for granted that Tottenham will drop points, thats when we'll draw at home to Norwich or lose at Fulham. There are plenty of so called "easier" games left in our run in, exactly the type of game we are prone to take for granted and slip up in.

Taking Tottenham and Chelsea for granted is not an option. The only thing we should be worried about is minimalising our dropped points. It is wide open, but if the complacency that some of our fans are showing creeps into the team we're ****ed.

But to finish, bravo for taking what I said completely out of context :rolleyes: I thought you were better than that nonsense....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I think we have more chance of catching Chelsea than we do Spurs, im not too optimistic about Sundays game as I feel they have the better team and overall squad, I think this is one season too far that we have left it in terms of neglecting our team.

Tottenham (a) [last season, lost 1-2]
    Everton (H) [won 1-0]
    Swansea (a) [lost 2-3]
    Reading (H) [no fixture last season]
    West Brom (a) [won 3-2]
    Norwich (H) [drew 3-3]
    Fulham (a) [lost 1-2]
    Manchester United (H) [lost 1-2]
    QPR (a) [lost 1-2]
    Wigan (H) [lost 1-2]
    Newcastle (a) [drew 0-0]

An okay run in, all winnable, we should win between 7 and 9 in my opinion but as the results in these fixtures last season show, just because we should doesn't mean we will. (P10, W2, D2, L6)

I wish United a long run in the Champions League and an early title success :eek: Chances are they will have the title won by the time they play us and will have their eyes on the treble, the two semi final legs of the Champions League are scheduled a few days before and after the United game at the Emirates; a good opportunity for them to give a few players a rest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

jordainius wrote: »

(P10, W2, D2, L6)

:(
    There isnt a chance really is there!
    Win on Sunday, or forget it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

time to update the old wallpaper :)

brilliant Henry goal.jpg

I think Bale will do something similar to Arsenal this time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

the thought of spurs finishing above us merits wenger to get the sacking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Sagna or jenks better be on the top of their game on sunday, Bale's on fire at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I think we have more chance of catching Chelsea than we do Spurs, im not too optimistic about Sundays game as I feel they have the better team and overall squad, I think this is one season too far that we have left it in terms of neglecting our team.

IMO if we beat Spurs they could suffer a bit of a collapse. Conversely, if we lose to Spurs we could have a very rough run-in.

Sagna or jenks better be on the top of their game on sunday, Bale's on fire at the moment.

does it reallly matter? when a player is on fire u cant stop them.

we need to outscore spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Kos will put bale in his back pocket just like he did messi before him
    Have faith :)

• Advertisement

Kos will put bale in his back pocket just like he did messi before him
    Have faith :)
    He put messi on his pocket when barca spanked us in spain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

does it reallly matter? when a player is on fire u cant stop them.

we need to outscore spurs.

Have you watched the last few games between us and Spurs?.

Sagna had Bale in his pocket... So much so Bale hasn't scored against us since 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Except for when he scored against us last time we played?

Agreed on Sagna normally having him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

AdamD wrote: »
    Except for when he scored against us last time we played?

Agreed on Sagna normally having him though.

Really...

Stupid random stat site :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement