Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

:(
    There isnt a chance really is there!
    Win on Sunday, or forget it.

Well I'd never say there isn't a chance :P
    The point I was making was there are no easy run ins, strange things usually happen, it hardly ever goes entirely to form.

People are looking at our fixture list and assuming we have a relatively easy run in. We got 8 points from 10 of the 11 corresponding fixtures last season, with the stakes as high as they are now there are no easy games, every game is (to use a horribly over used cliche) a cup final now.

There is no room for "Ah sure we'll be grand, Tottenham will drop plenty of points". My point all along has been we can't rely on that. If we're gonna claim a Champions League place we've got to forget about Tottenham and Chelsea and roll up our sleeves and concentrate on winning every point we can.

There isn't a game there we can't win, and we do have a good chance of top 4, we're two points away with 11 games left. But it won't be easy, the reason there are four teams ahead of us in the table is because 4 teams have been better than us so far this season. Luckily, two of these teams are well within our reach.

The Tottenham game isn't a "must win" in my opinion, its more of a "must not lose", a draw would be an okay result. Defeat would be a disaster, particularly with Arsenal's propensity to spend a few weeks feeling sorry for themselves for a few weeks after a tough defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

AdamD wrote: »

Wish I could Van Persie at the same level as Henry but unfortunately not. As much as I hate him for going, I wish he had wanted to stay. Was a pretty magic footballer at times.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

the thought of spurs finishing above us merits wenger to get the sacking

If they came third and we came fourth I'd take it tbh. It would suck but finishing top 4 is more important than finishing above them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Bale is in a cracking run of form, but drill a little deeper into it and his run of form is 3 free kicks, 2 counters and some ****e defending from WHU last night. All very preventable from our point of view.

Yeah, he'll be a difficult job for Sagna but if Walcott can drop back and help and try to keep him on the back foot by attacking then we'll be alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

cson wrote: »
    Bale is in a cracking run of form, but drill a little deeper into it and his run of form is 3 free kicks, 2 counters and some ****e defending from WHU last night. All very preventable from our point of view.

Yeah, he'll be a difficult job for Sagna but if Walcott can drop back and help and try to keep him on the back foot by attacking then we'll be alright.
    Some of the West Ham marking and defending on Bale was baffling, anytime he had the ball they kept showing him onto his left foot :-O

Have to say they look a close nit team under AVB, they remind me a bit of us in the early years under Wenger especially the year we reached the Uefa Cup Final, I think if they stick with AVB they will do very well in the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Just close down his feckin shots on his left foot and don't give stupid frees away! I know, easier said than done, but especially, take him off his feckin left foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Bale to me often seems to hit and hope. When it works he looks brilliant, when it doesn't it is quickly forgotten about. Don't give him space and he won't be able to hit and hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Fcuk Bale. We play our game and we will win. Im confident :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

jonny666 wrote: »
    Fcuk Bale. We play our game and we will win. Im confident :D

But isn't that the problem that most people have been complaining about? Our lack of tactics and only focusing on our team? We need to also be aware and change the way we play to some degree to counter the opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

If Bac plays like we all know he can, Bale will be quite meaning they will be, letting us play our game and thump them again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Don't think bac will be picking up bale in this game
    Bale will play behind the striker so one of the centre halfs or arteta will pick him up

I'd personally start coq ahead of Ramsey and tell him to pick him, he won't be afraid to leave the boot in either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Not trying to sound defeatist, but given our consistency recently, I would be happy with a draw and treat anything better as a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

farna_boy wrote: »
    Not trying to sound defeatist, but given our consistency recently, I would be happy with a draw and treat anything better as a bonus.

A draw wouldn't be too bad
    Ya just no going into this game that spurs and bale in particular is just gonna tear us a new one on the counter attack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sagna is not as fast as he was last season either after his latest injury and Bale runs from deep at pace. I don't think we have anyone fast enough to man mark him so our holding midfielder will just have to make sure he remains just in front of the back four and not get caught too far from our goal. I think it should be Ramsey as Arteta is not a tackler and we need to get the tackles in without giving away freekicks in dangerous areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Bale's chip was sweet, and I like AVB, but come on lads! WE CAN DRAW!!! Lol

Diddy Kong wrote: »

But isn't that the problem that most people have been complaining about? Our lack of tactics and only focusing on our team? We need to also be aware and change the way we play to some degree to counter the opposition.

It'll never happen!!

But seriously, if the proper arsenal turn up we will win. No need to make special plans for bale. Keep tight to him in the danger zone were he likes to shoot and we'll be fine. If he is on the wing his crosses won't be of much use unless ade turns up which is unlikely with the way he is playing.

Everyone is being so negative. The fans need to be positive.

Edit: I am a bit worried about his free kicks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

He had 5/6 free kicks within range last night and not a single one hit the target, that would be rather low on my list of priorities. Hes not consistent enough with them.

AdamD wrote: »
    He had 5/6 free kicks within range last night and not a single one hit the target, that would be rather low on my list of priorities. Hes not consistent enough with them.

**** I thought he scored from a free kick again last night!

Just seen a star there that said bale has scored 8 of spurs last 10. They seem very reliant on him atm with Defoe out. If he is kept quiet they have no one else.

Anyone think Walcott could start upfront. I don't think it's too bad an idea this time. Spurs will be pushing up right from the start. Plenty of space for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

jonny666 wrote: »
    **** I thought he scored from a free kick again last night!

Just seen a star there that said bale has scored 8 of spurs last 10. They seem very reliant on him atm with Defoe out. If he is kept quiet they have no one else.

Anyone think Walcott could start upfront. I don't think it's too bad an idea this time. Spurs will be pushing up right from the start. Plenty of space for him

I doubt it.

Walcott has always played well on the wing against Spurs.
    I'd rather have Giroud up front for the lay off passes and heading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

blobby360 wrote: »
    I doubt it.

Walcott has always played well on the wing against Spurs.
    I'd rather have Giroud up front for the lay off passes and heading.

As much as I like Giroud one thing that always gets over rated is his heading ability he has missed quite a lot of easy headers this season so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

As much as I like Giroud one thing that always gets over rated is his heading ability he has missed quite a lot of easy headers this season so far.

But he's been very good on the defensive side of things.

It really comes down to service.

You can't always blame the service there have been quite a good few times were he has had perfect balls swung in and he either failed to hit the target or headed them straight at the keeper, he should be doing better really.

He's a much stronger player with the ball at his feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

his heading ability doesn't come down to service, look at the one on saturday straight ahead & high at Guzan,

+ defensive headers are easier - stick your head on it & get it away, but yeah he's useful for defending set pieces

Mark Clattenburg's the ref on Sunday - anyone know what the stats with him are?

+ Everton's through in the cup, that game on the 9th will be postponed - not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Bale is going to ruin us at the weekend

• Advertisement

TheCoolWay wrote: »

You sure you're an Arsenal fan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

No he won't. Pressure will get to him and he'll bottle it.

You sure you're an Arsenal fan?

Yes I am sure and am s****ing a brick! The form he's in is unbelievable playing at home and all..... the day is made for him!

He didn't bottle it v West Ham or Lyon first leg. Why would he bottle it against us?

Yes I am sure and am s****ing a brick! The form he's in is unbelievable playing at home and all..... the day is made for him!

He didn't bottle it v West Ham or Lyon first leg. Why would he bottle it against us?

Because yes hes a good players, Spurs best player but come on Spurs aren't an unbelievable team and Bale isn't Messi or Ronaldo.

They can beat us but we can also well beat them, there not top class there not Bayern Munich standard.

We dont need him to bottle it, we just need to be the better team on the day and we are well capable of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Bale: 19 goals and 1 assist
    Walcott: 21 goals and 14 assists

Maybe it's them that should be sh1tting themselves.

• Advertisement

Sunday is a must win, with them playing Liverpool the week after we are off as no Everton playing, if we draw and they beat Pool 7 points would be terrible, its a must win!

Because yes hes a good players, Spurs best player but come on Spurs aren't an unbelievable team and Bale isn't Messi or Ronaldo.

They can beat us but we can also well beat them, there not top class there not Bayern Munich standard.

We dont need him to bottle it, we just need to be the better team on the day and we are well capable of that.

Any one who is reasonable at all in assessing our chances for this game will suggest nothing less than a Spurs win.

They are on a good run, at home and brimming with confidence.

We on the other hand can't score for p**s and our players confidence is shattered.

Yes I do hope and pray that we get a result but you have to be realistic and I would be very surprised if we get anything out of it. They had us on the ropes at the Emirates until Adebayor got sent off.

COME ON YOU GOONERS

Bale is in better form than Messi anyway! He was shocking tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Raf32 wrote: »
    Sunday is a must win, with them playing Liverpool the week after we are off as no Everton playing, if we draw and they beat Pool 7 points would be terrible, its a must win!

This is the chance to close the gap on our own steam.
    We cannot rely on other teams taking points off them and doing our job for us.
    I think we have to win this too because they would have a better platform than us going forward if we fail to win.
    A draw would not be the end of the world but it would suit them more as they are 4 points ahead of us.

Any one who is reasonable at all in assessing our chances for this game will suggest nothing less than a Spurs win.

We on the other hand can't score for p**s and our players confidence is shattered.

Yes I do hope and pray that we get a result but you have to be realistic and I would be very surprised if we get anything out of it. They had us on the ropes at the Emirates until Adebayor got sent off.

COME ON YOU GOONERS

We cant score for piss you do realise we are the fourth highest goal scorers in the league? Scoring five more than Spurs right? Hows that for reason?

Our confidence may be low but when it comes to games like this all that goes out the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

COME ON YOU GOONERS

We are unbeaten in 5 in the league and have beaten Spurs 5-2 on the last two occasions we've played them.

We cant score for piss you do realise we are the fourth highest goal scorers in the league? Scoring five more than Spurs right? Hows that for reason?

Our confidence may be low but when it comes to games like this all that goes out the window.

We have failed to score in 6 premier league games this year, while Spurs havent in just two.

We have failed to score in 6 premier league games this year, while Spurs havent in just two.

:pac: and? The post I addressed said we cant score for piss clearly we have scored more than Spurs, any so called Arsenal fan claiming we need a prayer to beat Spurs needs to go have a hard look at themselves, they may beat us but we are just as likely to beat them and as Adam D pointed out the last two games we have won 5-2 that is not the hallmark of a team we should be fearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

You sure those stats are correct?

I know Theo is streets ahead in terms of assists. But I didn't think he had 21 goals.

them numbers are wrong

be honest lads who would you rather be facing Walcott or Bale?

• Advertisement

:pac: and? The post I addressed said we cant score for piss clearly we have scored more than Spurs, any so called Arsenal fan claiming we need a prayer to beat Spurs needs to go have a hard look at themselves, they may beat us but we are just as likely to beat them and as Adam D pointed out the last two games we have won 5-2 that is not the hallmark of a team we should be fearing.

I don't fear them at all or Bale I'm just pointing out that scoring 7 against Newcastle, 6 against Southampton and 5 against Reading and West Ham pamper the stats alot and without the odd drubbing we have not been that prolific struggling to score in 6 games this season. I'm confident we can win but they are the favourites, have the best player in the league at the moment, are at home and we havent won there since 2007 in the league?.

Mickeroo wrote: »

If they came third and we came fourth I'd take it tbh. It would suck but finishing top 4 is more important than finishing above them.

Call me old school, but I couldn't disagree more.

I abhor Sp*rs.

Bale is not the best player in the league. He's on a hot streak of form. RVP, Aguero, Yaya Toure, David Silva, Jack Wilshere, Santi Cazorla, Luis Suarez, Wayne Rooney, Tevez, .....are ALL better IMO.

He's being hyped beyond belief. By Sky. He's good, but not unstoppable.

Call me old school, but I couldn't disagree more.

I abhor Sp*rs.

I kind of agree. But I'd take it over us finishing 5th and them 6th.

Why do you think we were in for David Villa if we score enough goals?

Last few games (Bayern excluded)

Shots: Arsenal 24 - 5 Aston Villa

Goals: Arsenal 2 - 1 Aston Villa

Shots: Arsenal 26 - 6 Blackburn

Goals: Arsenal 0 - 1 Blackburn

Shots: Sunderland 12 - 18 Arsenal

Goals: Sunderland 0 - 1 Arsenal

Shots: Stoke 5 - 15 Arsenal

Goals: Stoke 0 - 1 Arsenal

We score 0.013% of our shots

Opponents score 0.71% of their shots against us.

These figures are nowhere close and show despite our defensive issues, lack of firepower is killing us lately.

Bale is not the best player in the league. He's on a hot streak of form. RVP, Aguero, Yaya Toure, David Silva, Jack Wilshere, Santi Cazorla, Luis Suarez, Wayne Rooney, Tevez, .....are ALL better IMO.

He's being hyped beyond belief. By Sky. He's good, but not unstoppable.

I agree but at the moment none of them are better? To be honest I think mata has been the best player this season.

I agree but at the moment none of them are better? To be honest I think mata has been the best player this season.

I try to blank Chelsea out of all my thoughts.

I don't fear them at all or Bale I'm just pointing out that scoring 7 against Newcastle, 6 against Southampton and 5 against Reading and West Ham pamper the stats alot and without the odd drubbing we have not been that prolific struggling to score in 6 games this season. I'm confident we can win but they are the favourites, have the best player in the league at the moment, are at home and we havent won there since 2007 in the league?.

Im sorry did you just say Bale was the best player in the league? :eek::eek::eek::eek:. People need to stop believing the media hype machine, next youll be agreeing with Jeff Stelling and his statements that Bale is better than Ronaldo.

I try to blank Chelsea out of all my thoughts.

Fair point :pac:

• Advertisement

Im sorry did you just say Bale was the best player in the league? :eek::eek::eek::eek:. People need to stop believing the media hype machine, next youll be agreeing with Jeff Stelling and his statements that Bale is better than Ronaldo.

I said at the moment? RVP is the best player in the league.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement