Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Sounds good - no one could be worse than Kroenke, could they ?

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/307972395380129792/photo/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Wow, soccer Saturday actually tells me something I didnt already know for the first time ever. You'd have to guess its good for Arsenal fans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

greendom wrote: »

Don't particularly want the club to be anyone's plaything a lá Abramovich at Chelsea or the Middle Eastern owners who bought Malaga, spent big - got bored/broke - and the club is under huge financial pressure.

The old cliché "if something is too good to be true it probably is" is beginning to ring loud in my head here - its not going to be as nice and simple as some rich lads coming in, clearing debt, spending loads on the team and reducing ticket prices and taking nothing back, won't be that hunky dory - sounds more like a politician's pre-election promise.

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Don't particularly want the club to be anyone's plaything a lá Abramovich at Chelsea or the Middle Eastern owners who bought Malaga, spent big - got bored/broke - and the club is under huge financial pressure.

The old cliché "if something is too good to be true it probably is" is beginning to ring loud in my head here - its not going to be as nice and simple as some rich lads coming in, clearing debt, spending loads on the team and reducing ticket prices and taking nothing back, won't be that hunky dory - sounds more like a politician's pre-election promise.

Allowing Wenger to hold onto his best players would be a start. And to be able to buy the odd player without having had to sell someone first

Allowing Wenger to hold onto his best players would be a start. And to be able to buy the odd player without having had to sell someone first

I was hoping that would be starting this summer even with Kroenke in charge - but I've being hoping that for about 3 years now. This story could be something and nothing, just breaking as it is.

Does anyone know of Kroenke's form with the American franchises clubs that he owns? Has he ever left any in the lurch? I know I could wikipedia etc., but that's hardly reliable.

Can't sleep, won't sleep, bricking it.

COME ON THE ARSENAL!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I would welcome it if they held onto Wenger and made funds available - he's not the sort to spend for the sake of it and amass huge debts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Wouldn't say it is true. Doubt a bid as serious as this would be leaked to the media before a meeting even takes place with Kroenke or anyone at the club it seems. Also 1.5 billion does seem a bit over the top, why would any business man offer the absolute maximum for something when they could get it for much less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Man City, Man United and PSG (plus many others) havent exactly faired too badly since their takeovers. United arent loaded but are always given massive funds every season by the owners. Bar the sackings, Chelsea havent done half bad either. Malaga, I think, are the only big club that it hasnt worked out for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I'd be cagey about any takeover to be honest, whether it's Kroenke, Usmanov or a new shower. If it did happen though, all I'd want out of it would be to hold onto our best players and strengthen every season. If we could do that the titles would be rolling in again soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SpodoKamodo

It's Sunday, and season ticket renewal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Surely the financial fair play rules will put on a dent in this supposed takeover?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

aramush wrote: »
    Surely the financial fair play rules will put on a dent in this supposed takeover?

Those rules don't exist. The FFP is a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

monkey9 wrote: »
    Those rules don't exist. The FFP is a farce.

Trying telling that to poor old Malaga. The Premier League adopted new financial regulations also last month. Interesting to see where this goes.

No thank you to being an oil club.

I will definitely cease my support of the club as it will no longer be "The Arsenal" if that ever happens. If we ever get bought 100% (no AST) I'm out

I'll end up supporting Dag and Red instead :pac:

aramush wrote: »

I don't think so - the supposed new owners wouldn't have to spend anything like the amounts that City, Chelslea and PSG owners had to to make/keep us competitive. As has been said all that we really need is to stop being a selling club and bring in a top class player every now and then. We have much higher revenue streams than any of the other oil clubs were receiving when they were bought out. I'm sure that's one reason we must look such an attractive proposition.

No thank you to being an oil club.

I will definitely cease my support of the club as it will no longer be "The Arsenal" if that ever happens. If we ever get bought 100% (no AST) I'm out

I'll end up supporting Dag and Red instead :pac:

Please God no - have some sense man and support Barnet ;)

Twitter starting to fill with denials about the take-over. The Arsenal board are apparently thinking of issuing a statment. Stuck with Kroenke so :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

With all the talk of player of the season, wilshere for young player? I can't think of anyone better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Oranage2 wrote: »
    With all the talk of player of the season, wilshere for young player? I can't think of anyone better

My money would be on the hype machine giving it to Bale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

The fact that it's a Qatar/UAE consortium has me suspicious. There is a huge, huge rivalry between both countries and I really do not see why they would come together for such a high profile deal. The figure of 1.5 billion seems enormous too.

All sounds too good to be true and I wonder who would have anything to gain if the story is fabricated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I don't want a sugar daddy ala man city and Chelsea and don't think we need that. We just need an owner/board that stops selling prize assets and strengthens the to compete. It doesn't need to be a sugar daddy to achieve that

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Man City, Man United and PSG (plus many others) havent exactly faired too badly since their takeovers. United arent loaded but are always given massive funds every season by the owners. Bar the sackings, Chelsea havent done half bad either. Malaga, I think, are the only big club that it hasnt worked out for.

Man United were always going to fair okay because Ferguson has such power (and I say that in a good way about the man, like him or loathe him there is no arguing about his success) at Old Trafford he was never going to be pushed around. Would hope the same would happen AW here but do we know if he's being pushed around already albeit half-agreeing to it i.e. selling his best players at a profit to balance the books?

Maybe I'm Utopian in my thinking but I don't want to be Man City/PSG/Chelsea, them clubs have no souls. 90% of the players are mercenaries who couldn't care less if the clubs disappeared off the face of the earth tomorrow. Give me Tony Adams, Martin Keown, Patrick Vieira, Romford Pele, Thierry Henry, Bobby Pires, Jack Wilshere - players who love the club,who you can really get behind. I'd rather win one trophy with them than two with some soulless millionaires who take The Arsenal out of Arsenal.

N.B. It must be derby day, I'm getting emotional :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

11 years ago today - sheer genius. No sound to ruin it!

He really was one of the best players to ever grace the EPL his vision and skill was amazing and a joy to watch week in week out.

On the new owner thing just just saw that a bit hungover trying to take it in, but I will say as much as I dont want to be a an oil barons play thing nor do I want to be an American millionaires wallet stuffer Kroenke from what I have read has never brought success to any of his clubs. Which of the evils would I prefer as a fan if I took financials out of it I wont lie it would be the one that brings trophies and success.

DERBY DAY!

BRING IT ON!

(quickly runs behind the couch)

• Advertisement

Sums it up.

Patrick Vieira ‏@OfficialVieira This might be the most important game of the season; a win is crucial today. I'm with you 100% and will be watching. Good luck. #arsenal

Expand

Nervous as fook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Sums it up.

Patrick Vieira ‏@OfficialVieira This might be the most important game of the season; a win is crucial today. I'm with you 100% and will be watching. Good luck. #arsenal

Expand

Nervous as fook.

Get that man back to where he belongs!

Was looking at Brady's goal in the NLD from 1978 and came across this video from Baddiel and Skinner years ago with Chippy :D

"They dont celebrate Christmas do they?" :D Priceless

Man United were always going to fair okay because Ferguson has such power (and I say that in a good way about the man, like him or loathe him there is no arguing about his success) at Old Trafford he was never going to be pushed around. Would hope the same would happen AW here but do we know if he's being pushed around already albeit half-agreeing to it i.e. selling his best players at a profit to balance the books?

Maybe I'm Utopian in my thinking but I don't want to be Man City/PSG/Chelsea, them clubs have no souls. 90% of the players are mercenaries who couldn't care less if the clubs disappeared off the face of the earth tomorrow. Give me Tony Adams, Martin Keown, Patrick Vieira, Romford Pele, Thierry Henry, Bobby Pires, Jack Wilshere - players who love the club,who you can really get behind. I'd rather win one trophy with them than two with some soulless millionaires who take The Arsenal out of Arsenal.

N.B. It must be derby day, I'm getting emotional :o

For me, Arsenal are more than a club, they are an institution and all the money in the world wont change that.
    Yes id love for us to assemble a world class team instead of being a feeder club so we could wipe the floor with the elite but at the same time i dont want us to lose our soul. The club have always had its legends down through the ages and that what makes us great. The respect us fans have for these legends and the respect these legends have for our club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

More sh1t talk on SSN about a so called 'power shift.' What the fcuk are they talking about? The power shift will happen when they have 14 league titles to our 13 i.e. never! Come on you Gunners!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Ugh quite nervous for this. Wilshere to boss the midfield and square up to Bales monkey business at some point.

Front 3 of Santi, Giroud and Theo!

12163_324129854357043_1378184984_n.jpg

It'd be nice to win a trophy but it could be worse ...

More sh1t talk on SSN about a so called 'power shift.' What the fcuk are they talking about? The power shift will happen when they have 14 league titles to our 13 i.e. never! Come on you Gunners!

I suppose if Arsenal's previous electricity provider was now supplying Tottenham that would be a power shift of sorts. Its as good as they can hope for ;)

Hope we get a good start today, the last two times we've made a balls of the opening 20 minutes so hopefully we will be more on the ball today....

No Podolski today :mad:.

No Podolski today :mad:.

He hasn't been great the last two games.

Bill in Hereford: "I don't think the Arsenal fans have realised yet they're not dominant in north London anymore and that their time is soon to be over."

Posted today, not 15 years ago! Seriously, finish ahead of us, win a major trophy, be in the Champions League 14 years running. Do something except be good for 5 games in a row every other season and then get back to us :rolleyes:

Team:

ARSENAL: Szczesny, Jenkinson, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Monreal, Ramsey, Arteta, Wilshere, Cazorla, Walcott, Giroud

Subs: Koscielny, Rosicky, Podolski, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Coquelin, Mannone, Gervinho

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

At their peak they are challenge for 4th at our worst we are taking 4th the expectation for Arsenal is far superior this is a great season for them this is one of our worst at end of today their could be a 1 point difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Jesus all the gareth bale ****e on sky would make ya sick,amazed jamie hasnt whippd out the spurs jersey

• Advertisement

Jesus all the gareth bale ****e on sky would make ya sick,amazed jamie hasnt whippd out the spurs jersey

And done this all over it
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcST5zlBAr6kcpdAykLgzazgeBVzDQIpkpH339oahHLKl9n7R27wpA

Terrible pundit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

well there he is... you would have been mad to bet against him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Giroud is a fcuking donkey

One thing you can't fault the players today for is effort which was nice to see, but at the end of the day the sad truth of the matter the squad as whole is no longer good enough to many average to poor players in the squad.

Champions League is almost gone now for next season Europa League will be horrible, major surgery needed on the team :(.

Phoenix wrote: »
    Whats your thoughts about todays result?

Top 4 is gone, lots of changes needed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Phoenix wrote: »
    Whats your thoughts about todays result?

Arsenal are sh1t and I hate spurs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Same old story bad defending costs us again.When will they ever learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Just so many average players. Giroud us a squad striker not a first 11 players need at least 3 top class players

• Advertisement

So after a week of "LOL Spurs R rubbish!" posts and the next day or 2 of posts that are for some reason in surprise at the result I look forward to a decent appraisal of where the club is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement