Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Just so disappointed. What a terrible season this has been

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

So after a week of "LOL Spurs R rubbish!" posts and the next day or 2 of posts that are for some reason in surprise at the result I look forward to a decent appraisal of where the club is.

Please, quote one of those posts.

Anyway;
    Giroud just isn't good enough, tries hard, will score a few goals, but just not good enough.
    Wilshere needs to actually shoot
    Podolski and Rosicky should be starting these games
    Our only capable CB is again on the bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I look forward to a decent appraisal of where the club is.

This is all the club cares about

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2013/0225/1224330514086.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

I don't get the Ramsey hate I really don't.

He played better than Giroud (I played better than Giroud today), Walcott, Wilshere, Vermaelen today and you'd swear everything was his fault. Thought he did okay at RB when he got moved there all things considered. It's just pathetic - actually wonder do some Arsenal "fans" watch the game or do they just see someone moan about him and agree?

I still actually think we'll catch Spurs - they will go all out for the Europa League and make a balls of it and we'll sneak ahead of them. We played fine apart from not being able to defend :mad:

Maire2009 wrote: »
    actually wonder do some Arsenal "fans" watch the game or do they just see someone moan about him and agree?

why bother putting quotes around the fans? Just because you dont share in there opinion doesn't make you or them any less of a fan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I don't get the Ramsey hate I really don't.

He played better than Giroud (I played better than Giroud today), Walcott, Wilshere, Vermaelen today and you'd swear everything was his fault. Thought he did okay at RB when he got moved there all things considered. It's just pathetic - actually wonder do some Arsenal "fans" watch the game or do they just see someone moan about him and agree?

I still actually think we'll catch Spurs - they will go all out for the Europa League and make a balls of it and we'll sneak ahead of them. We played fine apart from not being able to defend :mad:

Agreed, I don't get the Ramsey hate at all. He had a better game than Wilshere and Arteta, he will play any position for the team and run his socks off. Not his fault the team could only create one chance of note (which falls to the guy playing rb!) in the entire game.

At the end we had:
    Ramsey
    Wilshere
    Arteta
    Cazorla
    Rosicky

on the pitch, 5 players who either play CM or CAM. Alright Wenger...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Phoenix wrote: »
    Whats your thoughts about todays result?

Bar wilshere and santi the team needs improvement in every position.

probably walcott too but his level should be the bare minimum standard.

So many players out their shouldn't even be squad players never mind starters.

That team p*sses me off so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

TBH we need now to think about qualifying for Europa league, as that is no certainty either. IMO playing in the EL, assuming we qualify, will be a reality check for the Arsenal Board, not to mention financially. It may be for the better as perhaps that is what is needed to get the club turned around. So disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

The back four was shambolic today. Where is the communication?

why bother putting quotes around the fans? Just because you dont share in there opinion doesn't make you or them any less of a fan

Fans generally support, funnily enough the ones that blame Ramsey for the current economic downturn as well as Arsenal's woe moan all the time and seem to forget we don't have a given right to win all our games and stroll to trophies. I'd not really call them fans to be honest - moaners, whingers, glory hunters. I've seen people say they'll stop supporting Arsenal if Wenger is here next season .... that's pathetic.

If anyone can give a valid set of reasons for moaning about Ramsey I'm all for it but "he's just crap" is not an argument, it's barely an opinion.

He has been poor at times, but jeez there is no rationality to it.

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    Agreed, I don't get the Ramsey hate at all. He had a better game than Wilshere and Arteta, he will play any position for the team and run his socks off. Not his fault the team could only create one chance of note (which falls to the guy playing rb!) in the entire game.

At the end we had:
    Ramsey
    Wilshere
    Arteta
    Cazorla
    Rosicky

on the pitch, 5 players who either play CM or CAM. Alright Wenger...

I thought Arteta did okay today, was shocked when he came off to be honest. Wilshere had a shocker and the less said about Giroud - just kept throwing his hands up in the air. We didn't get Cazorla on the ball enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Fans generally support, funnily enough the ones that blame Ramsey for the current economic downturn as well as Arsenal's woe moan all the time and seem to forget we don't have a given right to win all our games and stroll to trophies. I'd not really call them fans to be honest - moaners, whingers, glory hunters. I've seen people say they'll stop supporting Arsenal if Wenger is here next season .... that's pathetic.

If anyone can give a valid set of reasons for moaning about Ramsey I'm all for it but "he's just crap" is not an argument, it's barely an opinion.

He has been poor at times, but jeez there is no rationality to it.

Ramsay is Arsenals Carrick...

Ramsay is Arsenals Carrick...

He's this season's Eboue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

HazDanz wrote: »
    The back four was shambolic today. Where is the communication?

I can't figure out if they could be trained to defend or if they're just rubbish and there's no hope for them. I'm leaning towards the latter at this stage.

I can't figure out if they could be trained to defend or if they're just rubbish and there's no hope for them. I'm leaning towards the latter at this stage.

Both perhaps?

Well that was b*llox anyway.

Bit of perspective.

Season not over yet. They have some seriously tough games coming up.

Come on you gunners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ramsey is average he tries hell they all tried today but Ramsey like most of them is just not good enough really.

To many times when he had the ball he should have given the ball but chose the wrong option or took to long. Good player fine player for the bench but right now like a lot of the team not good enough to be starting games.

Anyone else find it a small bit humorous how excited they got when they won?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Both perhaps?

It doesn't take much to just communicate with one another. It's such a basic thing for defenders to do, and the boys do not bother their arse half the time to do it. It was clear as day where Bale was running to for the first goal but no one bothered to shout who was going to pick him up, they just instead looked on helplessly after the moment for action had passed. So disheartening to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

They'll be even more excited when they clinch that CL spot from us.

• Advertisement

They'll be even more excited when they clinch that CL spot from us.

I've not given up on that yet - I'll be delusional until the end. It has worked for the last 3 seasons and we're still CL :D

Its sad day when even this thread isnt full of angry rants about Wenger, the board, the direction the club is going.

Ad why is that because fans are so dis heartened and have come to expect to loose no one here is shocked by the loss today, and its not as if we loss to a great team we just lost to a slightly less average team than our own.

Come the summer no more excuses.

Come the summer no more excuses.

If only. There's something rotten in the squad. They tried today, but how often have they just not shown up? We need a wholesale clearout and to spent a net 50-100 million in the summer. We're not close to achieving anything right now. And if by some miracle we did do that and were averaging 1.5 points per game at Christmas the excuses would be rolling out about players hitting the ground running and ****.

When is that open bus top parade due to go through the streets of Islington where Peter Hillwood proudly holds the balance sheet aloft in the air, beaming from ear to ear at 2012's amazing financial achievements?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

We didnt do too bad today. Thought Ramsey did well. Giourd was disappointing along with one or two other but wouldnt blame any of em individually.

We got punished for two defensive mistakes.

There is still loads of points to play for and we are still in with a shot. They have a tough run in. I think we can still do it.

Bit of belief from the fans would go a long way to helping the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭G1032

Found that quite amusing myself. You'd swear they'd just won the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

We need a wholesale clearout and to spent a net 50-100 million in the summer.

Only chance of that happening is if that takeover rumour was true, which I dont think anyone here believes.

The current board are hell bent on making a profit so they wont budge, but Kroenke could solve a lot of problems by simply putting money into the club for a change. Do it last summer and we might have kept van Persie. He's the biggest reason United are going to win the league this season. Had we been able to hold onto him while adding Cazorla, Podolski and Giroud to the squad, we'd be pushing for second at least.

I dont think we need a wholesale clear out as such. We do need to sell players of course, but the issue is keeping the important ones. Sagna should be the only question mark this summer. Everyone else we need to keep is tied to longer deals. A bit of money to invest this summer and we'll be in a much better position this time next year. The problem is the board have imposed limits on what we can spend so we need Kroenke to step up and provide the funds needed to sign the type of players we need.

Usmanov I believe would provide the funds needed, Kroenke on the other hand, I dont think will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

spurs are pretty much gone too far at this stage - 7 points is a lot and i dont think theyll collapse like in years gone by.

somebody said we played fine apart from not being able to defend - were like that all season. and well continue to be that way until the end in my view. itll be a miracle if we go unbeaten in the last 10 games.

i also love the way even though our season continues to go down the pan people still just want to comment on spurs. small club mentality. when we were winning titles the likes of spurs were way back in our rear view mirror. now theyre seen as major competitors. sad times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I still think Spurs, chelsea or both will capitulate , Of course we still need to be picking up points should that happen so i'm not sure whats going to happen, I can't get over why he can't stick Podolski up top at all, like why was he left on the bench today, He upset the rhythm too by changing players around too much,

Like why did he take of Jenkinson that time thought he was doing well , Arteta too was he even playing today such a midtable player he is at times , Had his best time 3-4 years back with Everton he was one of the players that has to go in my mind such a passenger in games and then the likes of ramsey get the brunt of the bollocking from fans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

How crap has verm been this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

How crap has verm been this season

shocking really but then again ive never liked/rated him. he really looks clueless at times and seems oblivious to whats going on around him. how he got the captaincy ill never know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Spurs fan in peace

As a Spurs fan, obviously I'm made up this evening. Given that we thought we'd reached our peak under Arry the last few seasons, the last thing we expected was for us to be 7 points clear of Arsenal at this stage, especially with our two best players sold pre season and a new (unproven in the PL) manager.

How has this happened! Worrying times for Arsenal. How has a club that dominated North London for 20 years, that won PL titles, that has produced and shown to be able to keep world quality players in the team, gone to pot. It just doesn't make sence! Three years ago it appeared the world was at your feet. Stunning squad, new stadium, no shortage of cash, excellent manager. Its like ye keep shooting yourselves in the foot.

If Arsenal miss out on CL football this year, a sizeable lump of that spare cash is going to have to go on wages rather than new signings when you're missing the CL revenue. Its a catch 22 then. You could do a Liverpool. Attracting the stars that bring back the success gets harder and harder while at the same time you're spending potential trasfer money on wages to keep your best players. A boardroom battle wont bode well either, another part of Liverpools fall from grace.

Back to todays match. I have to say, I think it was a master class by AVB. Most surprisingly Wenger pushed the panic button very early, going three at the back and lumping balls forward in a very un Arsenal way. I thought we looked unbeatable tbh. Maybe thats just the rose tinted glasses.

Anyway, this is gonna be a very very interesting run in thats for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Very disappointed with today's result because we lost it because of lack of understanding in the defense. I have no idea what Bould is doing with the defense but it has failed miserably.

However all is not lost, Chelsea and Spurs can be caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Let's be honest, a season like this has been coming for a while. We've consistently sold our best players and replaced them with substandard ones. Couldn't keep getting away with it. We were lucky last year as Spurs suffered from having a joke of a manager who as usual wasn't up to it when the going got tough. They've good strength in depth and unlike us they bring their A game against the big clubs.

As for us, well you reap what you sow. A good chance to strengthen the squad in January came and went and we've only taken 5 points from 30 against the teams around us. We are embarrassingly fragile at the back and cant offer a threat up front. To everyone saying Spurs and Chelsea will drop points in games coming up, what makes you think this squad has the capabilities of capitalising? Its going to be a disappointing end to the season.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Back to todays match. I have to say, I think it was a master class by AVB.

It really doesn't take a genius to know how to play against Arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Spurs fan in peace

As a Spurs fan, obviously I'm made up this evening. Given that we thought we'd reached our peak under Arry the last few seasons, the last thing we expected was for us to be 7 points clear of Arsenal at this stage, especially with our two best players sold pre season and a new (unproven in the PL) manager.

How has this happened! Worrying times for Arsenal. How has a club that dominated North London for 20 years, that won PL titles, that has produced and shown to be able to keep world quality players in the team, gone to pot. It just doesn't make sence! Three years ago it appeared the world was at your feet. Stunning squad, new stadium, no shortage of cash, excellent manager. Its like ye keep shooting yourselves in the foot.

If Arsenal miss out on CL football this year, a sizeable lump of that spare cash is going to have to go on wages rather than new signings when you're missing the CL revenue. Its a catch 22 then. You could do a Liverpool. Attracting the stars that bring back the success gets harder and harder while at the same time you're spending potential trasfer money on wages to keep your best players. A boardroom battle wont bode well either, another part of Liverpools fall from grace.

Back to todays match. I have to say, I think it was a master class by AVB. Most surprisingly Wenger pushed the panic button very early, going three at the back and lumping balls forward in a very un Arsenal way. I thought we looked unbeatable tbh. Maybe thats just the rose tinted glasses.

Anyway, this is gonna be a very very interesting run in thats for sure.

First of all I appreciate your insight and Spurs fully deserve to be ahead of us on form and by the way the club has been managed in the last few years. I genuinely respect that and the club looks to have a great future under AVB.

However I disagree on one point, we destroyed you in the first half up to the goals!! The usual story with us

Why do we play a high line with mert at the back?
    If Jenks wasn't injured why take him off?

gandalf wrote: »
    Very disappointed with today's result because we lost it because of lack of understanding in the defense. I have no idea what Bould is doing with the defense but it has failed miserably.

However all is not lost, Chelsea and Spurs can be caught.

While both could drop points i cant see us winning all of our remaining games either. We have Everton, United, Norwich, Wigan and Reading at home with Swansea, W.B.A, Fulham, QPR, Newcastle away.

All we can do is keep believing i suppose but i cant see Spurs capitulating like last year. They had the whole 'Arry for England business to contend with then but dont have that to unsettle them this year. Chelsea are staggering but even with all the stuff about Benitez, they'll have enough of experience in the tank to come fourth. This is the year im afraid that all of Arsenal's stinginess is coming home to roost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Hello Ramsey bashers! I thought he was decent *waiting patiently for angry responses*

Going into next season what do we need to compete in fairness

New gk as competition
    New RB
    New CB maybe 2
    New CM maybe 2
    New LW
    New CF
    That's potentially 8 players so we have a decent squad again

• Advertisement

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    Hello Ramsey bashers! I thought he was decent *waiting patiently for angry responses*

Midfield.....hmmmm i dunno he just doesnt look comfortable on the ball and doesn't make life easy for himself, but strangely enough he done well at right back. I think he is a player that would flourish in a team where he had older leaders to look after him and pick him up but he is prob one of our more experienced players at the club which tells its own story.

I thought Ramsey was good agin today
    Surprise surprise :):)

Were is all this Ramsey bashing everyones talking about? I havent seen one person slate Ramsey today :confused:

New gk as competition
    New RB
    New CB maybe 2
    New CM maybe 2
    New LW
    New CF

Agree completely in fact the only two players I'd say that are untouchable and dead certs id have to keep in my starting 11 would be Wilshere and Cazorla every other spot is up for grabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

TheCoolWay wrote: »

However I disagree on one point, we destroyed you in the first half up to the goals!! The usual story with us

Yes and no.

I'd have to agree, especially in the first 15 minutes, that you were all over us. But in fairness its kinda how we play under AVB. Its almost like an animal that tracks its prey until its exhausted. Thats the AVB way. Let them do what they want for the first half and we dont do much either, we just sit and wait, be it absorbing or countering.

Spurs fans were not well pleased with this dull, dreary way of playing when AVB took over. We didn't initially see the bigger picture, well I didn't anyway. Its amazing that as the season has progressed, you just get the feeling, more and more, that we wont be beaten. TBH it caught us all by surprise but 2 defeats in 23 games (the serious fcuk up against Everton and Leeds in the cup) kinda proves it. even against the hammers the other night, we never panicked when we went behind. Its a very new feeling as a Spurs fan I'll tell ya.

Were is all this Ramsey bashing everyones talking about? I havent seen one person slate Ramsey today :confused:

Agree completely in fact the only two players I'd say that are untouchable and dead certs id have to keep in my starting 11 would be Wilshere and Cazorla every other spot is up for grabs.

I agree sad aint it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Disappointed today, the performance was ok but we have a serious problem with fcuk ups and are consistency to always have two rather than one, if they learned to settle after one fcuk up we'd do a lot more.

Giroud was poor he is amazing at taking a ball down....... for the opposition to take from him.

We need a new striker from the top class category badly to get anywhere.

Ramsey did well today and I genuinely believe he will get better and better but he ain't first 11 material yet.

I still think we'll make 4th might seem stupid after today but I think we will.

New gk as competition
    New RB
    New CB maybe 2
    New CM maybe 2
    New LW
    New CF

And not bargain bucket inexperienced and unproven signings either. In 2011 we bought players that are not up to scratch to replace Nasri and Fabregas. Park, Gervinho, Mertesacker, Santos, and Arteta all signed with most signing on deadline week. Arteta being the best of those signings doesnt say much. Were still stuck with Arshavin, and Squillachi on the wage bill with no one wanting them.

Ox and Jenks still in the development stage. Spurs bought Hugo LLoris and Jan Verthongen for 20m and both on reasonable money. Proven international class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Very disappointed about today.
    Spurs are not a great team but they're better than us. They should have won by more as apart from the miss by Ramsey i can't remember any other chances we created while they missed a few easy ones
    Our defence is very poor. All of them. They seemed like strangers to each other and panicked all afternoon. They are a shambles but they have been like that for 5 years or more and it continues.

Spurs just defended like every other team that beat us this year. They just surrounded their box and our crosses, free-kicks and corners were so poor they didn't have to worry too much about them. They had it easy today.

We don't deserve Top 4 this year, too many poor performances.
    Time for a BIG clear-out at the Emirates BUT we're still making money so everyone involved should be very happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Everyone is looking for a big clear out and a winning team again but earlier when the takeover was mentioned there was hate everywhere. Pretty much the whole team is replaceable, even looking at Cazorla whos the best in the team isnt a particularly World class talent yet. I dont believe were out of the race for the top 4 by any means, its just this place is so temperamental. Complain that we dont sign anyone but complain that we'll have a massive investor to buy players.

Disappointing result but its only seven points and weve come back from a lot more before (not sure if it was this late in the season though)

I should stay off Twitter on match days :o But in fairness he gets blamed for a lot on Twitter/blogs/replies to match reports - not really here from what I've seen but he's a scapegoat this year when in fact the team as a whole have been awful.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement