Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

AdamD wrote: »
    No Podolski, Wilshere or Woj in the squad for tomorrow..

The BBC had Podolski in, earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Wilsheres touch is too heavy, he always seems to be struggling to keep the ball under control or within reach, constantly stretching for it.
    He gets away with it when hes younger cos he can zip around but Ive always said it makes him very prone to injury cos he stretching and exposed to the odd whack.

Sorry to see Ryo Miyachi get injured, this follows on from Frimpong ... is there a pattern here the last few years, sending out players on loan and they getting injured. Young players arrive at Arsenal all excited to be in a big club, Wenger hypes them up then gets the hump, shifts them on out on loan, sometimes to a lower division without the same protection theyd get in PL at Arsenal , the player gets a bit down on themself, stops taking care of themself, loses focus picks up a knock in a match. Meanwhle as the season progresses we have first teamers off form or injured and the loanees are all crocked . We could do with a few of them now.

Dont forget Wenger is french , just have to look at the stubborn carry on of the French rugby managers, its all about not losing face rather than admitting a mistake or changing policy and thereby admitting your original policy was wrong.
    I spend a fair bit of time in France, everytime Im there Wenger is on the box, on the panel for some international or some other match. Wenger is treated like a God there, he is much more relaxed, jovial, laughing and joking, like the 'big yank coming home from America pockets full of cash' .. only in this case he is coming home with loads of Arsenal cash dumping it into Ligue 1 for average players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Wilsheres touch is too heavy, he always seems to be struggling to keep the ball under control or within reach, constantly stretching for it.
    He gets away with it when hes younger cos he can zip around but Ive always said it makes him very prone to injury cos he stretching and exposed to the odd whack.

Sorry to see Ryo Miyachi get injured, this follows on from Frimpong ... is there a pattern here the last few years, sending out players on loan and they getting injured. Young players arrive at Arsenal all excited to be in a big club, Wenger hypes them up then gets the hump, shifts them on out on loan, sometimes to a lower division without the same protection theyd get in PL at Arsenal , the player gets a bit down on themself, stops taking care of themself, loses focus picks up a knock in a match. Meanwhle as the season progresses we have first teamers off form or injured and the loanees are all crocked . We could do with a few of them now.

Dont forget Wenger is french , just have to look at the stubborn carry on of the French rugby managers, its all about not losing face rather than admitting a mistake or changing policy and thereby admitting your original policy was wrong.
    I spend a fair bit of time in France, everytime Im there Wenger is on the box, on the panel for some international or some other match. Wenger is treated like a God there, he is much more relaxed, jovial, laughing and joking, like the 'big yank coming home from America pockets full of cash' .. only in this case he is coming home with loads of Arsenal cash dumping it into Ligue 1 for average players.

I think Wenger is very well respected around the World - it only seems to be in England where that is missing, especially amongst a certain group of Arsenal supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Why is Wenger gettin the hump? I don't understand what you mean by that.

All young players go out on loan. Some might get injured. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make really. Is it that we might need these players during te season? I don't think players would stop takin care of themselves either just cause they are on loan. That's a strange thing to say.

Wenger is treated like a god cause he is massive in football. He is one of them most respected managers in the world. In the papers yesterday that Munich wanted him and its been reported down through the years that Madrid wanted him too

jonny666 wrote: »
    Why is Wenger gettin the hump? I don't understand what you mean by that.

All young players go out on loan. Some might get injured. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make really. Is it that we might need these players during te season? I don't think players would stop takin care of themselves either just cause they are on loan. That's a strange thing to say.

Wenger is treated like a god cause he is massive in football. He is one of them most respected managers in the world. In the papers yesterday that Munich wanted him and its been reported down through the years that Madrid wanted him too

You will have to ask Wenger why he is getting the hump .
    He just seems to buy young starlets, loan them out and they get crocked.
    Is there somethign wrong with the Arsenal backroom staff , somethign wrong with teh fitness tests we give players before they sign, we have a long list of players getting croked, in house and on loan.

I think he neds to buy some players who are athletes and not bother with the frail tippy tappy players who look good in traing but get a hiding against Stoke.

Yep I can definitely see Bayern Munich been interested in a coach who hasnt won anything in 7 years and who they just demolished 3-0 away from home without breaking a sweat.

Benitez is massive in football, so is hiddink and sure Trappatoni is a huge football name , papers constantly talking about them . not much to show in the last few years.. todays paper tomorrows chip wrappers.

Wenger hasnt progressed at all in the last 6-7 years. Arsenal maintained 4th place cos the teams that should have been pipping us for that spot were in self destruct mode... still its a great game dont take my comments personally unless your AW in disguise .

Is there somethign wrong with the Arsenal backroom staff , somethign wrong with teh fitness tests we give players before they sign, we have a long list of players getting croked, in house and on loan.

I think he neds to buy some players who are athletes and not bother with the frail tippy tappy players who look good in traing but get a hiding against Stoke.

Yep I can definitely see Bayern Munich been interested in a coach who hasnt won anything in 7 years and who they just demolished 3-0 away from home without breaking a sweat.

Benitez is massive in football, so is hiddink and sure Trappatoni is a huge football name , papers constantly talking about them . not much to show in the last few years.. todays paper tomorrows chip wrappers.

Wenger hasnt progressed at all in the last 6-7 years. Arsenal maintained 4th place cos the teams that should have been pipping us for that spot were in self destruct mode... still its a great game dont take my comments personally unless your AW in disguise .

How do you know Wenger is gettin the hump?

Every team has young players out on loan and every team have injuries. I bet on average our injury list is no longer or shorter then anyone else's.

Maybe we should sack Wenger and hire tony pulis instead.

Wenger would walk into most if not all jobs in the world. Maybe you should stop blaming Wenger for arsenals problems and look a bit deeper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

We got 4th place because we deserved it,not that its what we should be aiming for,but the table doesn't lie.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

We got 4th place because we deserved it,not that its what we should be aiming for,but the table doesn't lie.

Third last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Mickeroo wrote: »

Third last season.

Too true!just shows how brainwashed I am by this
    Infamous 4th place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Jonny666 did not say Bayern were after Wenger in recent times, but it is pretty common knowledge that they did show interest in him twice before. Once while he was still managing in France and then just before he left Japan. Would imagine that the paper article that Jonny666 mentioned is referring to past interest shown by Bayern.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    Jonny666 did not say Bayern were after Wenger in recent times, but it is pretty common knowledge that they did show interest in him twice before. Once while he was still managing in France and then just before he left Japan. Would imagine that the paper article that Jonny666 mentioned is referring to past interest shown by Bayern.

Here is the article http://www.football365.com/premier-league/8556323/Bayern-Munich-tried-to-appoint-Arsene-Wenger-says-Uli-Hoeness. He actually says that anytime they were changing manager Wenger was considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,463 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sky Sports now reporting that Jack is out for 4 weeks.

See you in 2015 Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Sky Sports now reporting that Jack is out for 4 weeks.

See you in 2015 Jack.

Back for the Europa league final next year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Just reading the last few pages properly there, thats worrying all those anti Kroenke comments regarding his sports teams in the states, very worrying! So basically this man has failed in every sporting project hes invested in?

Back for the Europa league final next year :)

If we don't make CL I hope we really go for the Europa league. Once you get past the group stages and some of the earlier knockout rounds it's a decent competition. And a very winnable one for us

If we don't make CL I hope we really go for the Europa league. Once you get past the group stages and some of the earlier knockout rounds it's a decent competition. And a very winnable one for us

Jonny I don't even watch this on t.v.
    It's like Div 2 of the National Football League in the GAA.
    If your not playing with the big boys then it's not worth being in.

Jonny I don't even watch this on t.v.
    It's like Div 2 of the National Football League in the GAA.
    If your not playing with the big boys then it's not worth being in.

Ah it's not that bad! Some matches in the group stages are brutal but from quarter final on it can be good.

Don't get me wrong tho. I don't ever want to see us in it. Fûcking ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Valdes and David Villa to Arsenal in summer I reckon

TheCoolWay wrote: »

Villa will be 31 and hardly good value at the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Not an Arsenal fan but find it hard to believe the treatment Wenger gets from his own fans.

Looking at the top clubs in England over the last 6 or 7 years, I can't think of a single club that has lost anywhere near as many top players and still remain competitive.

Now I know some will say that Wenger sold these players, but:
    1) this is not really true as these decisions were heavily driven by financial matters
    2) not a single manager on the planet could cope with such loss and still compete at such a high level.

To name some major players to leave since 05:

Patrick Vieira, age 29
    Ashley Cole, age 25
    Thierry Henry, age 29
    Mathieu Flamini, age 24
    Aleksandr Hleb, age 27
    Emmanuel Adebayor, age 25
    Kolo Toure, age 28
    Gael Clichy, age 25
    Samir Nasri, age 24
    Cesc Fabregas, age 24
    Alex Song, age 24
    Robin Van Persie, age 28

I make that 12 first team players who at the time of sale were either at or near the top of their game.

In that same time period United have only lost Ronaldo with Chelsea loosing no one the didn't want to get rid of and Liverpool loosing 3 in Alonso, Mascherano and Torres and look what has happened to them.

I hope for Arsenals sake and for the good of the English league he doesn't listen to some fans and stays where he is, because if he does leave he's style of play and management skills will be a bigger loss to both then some people would like to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I keep hearing how well our young players are doing but they are winning nothing. Our U.21's are miles off the pace and our youth teams are not winning anything either.
    Our Academy have only 5 points from 6 games too.

Never heard of this lad but hope he's good and actually makes the grade.

I have very high hopes for Gnabry who really looks a player and I expect will probably make more of breakthrough.

As someone else said we are through to the quarters of the next gen series having bet Inter Milan last years winners of it, which does show our youth team in a more positive light.
    Gringo180 wrote: »
    Just reading the last few pages properly there, thats worrying all those anti Kroenke comments regarding his sports teams in the states, very worrying! So basically this man has failed in every sporting project hes invested in?

Yeh he's not very popular at any of the clubs he owns nor has any club he has owned ever won any silverware he's a leech sucking money up. I want him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Villa will be 31 and hardly good value at the money.

If he was dying to get him 6 weeks ago don't see why a few months would make him change his mind. Unless we get Cavani :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

This Barca side look decent, I hope we don't get them in the next round!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Barcelona looked better without Fabregas in the team tonight...obviously I'm basing this on the match I saw and not over a season...would love to see him return while he is still on top of his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

2ndcoming wrote: »
    This Barca side look decent, I hope we don't get them in the next round!

Im heading to see them play the weekend I'll do a scouting report and send it on to Wenger for analysis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Sounds like it is going to be a weakened team tomorrow with Swansea at the weekend. Could it be a real heavy beating tomorrow night you fear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Walcott 18 (11)
    Giroud 14 (9)
    Podolski 13 (9)
    Cazorla 11 (11)
    Gervinho 5 (3)
    Arteta 4 (4)
    Mr. Owen Goal 3 (3)
    Mertesacker 2 (2)
    Chamakh 2 (0)
    Koscielny 2 (1)
    Oxlade-Chamberlain 2 (1)
    Wilshere 2 (0)
    Arshavin 1 (0)
    Gibbs 1 (0)
    Miquel 1 (0)
    Ramsey 1 (0)
    Rosicky 1 (0)
    Vermaelen 1 (0)

(League goals in brackets)

Sorry for being so late. Was awaiting the dubious goals panel's verdict (that and couldn't face the thread).

TheCoolWay wrote: »

And Vertongen, Valbuena, van Boxel, van Heijden, Veloso, van der Vaart, van Persie, Varane and Vela.

Sign all the Vs!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Not an Arsenal fan but find it hard to believe the treatment Wenger gets from his own fans.

Looking at the top clubs in England over the last 6 or 7 years, I can't think of a single club that has lost anywhere near as many top players and still remain competitive.

1) this is not really true as these decisions were heavily driven by financial matters
    2) not a single manager on the planet could cope with such loss and still compete at such a high level.

Patrick Vieira, age 29
    Ashley Cole, age 25
    Thierry Henry, age 29
    Mathieu Flamini, age 24
    Aleksandr Hleb, age 27
    Kolo Toure, age 28
    Gael Clichy, age 25
    Samir Nasri, age 24
    Cesc Fabregas, age 24
    Alex Song, age 24
    Robin Van Persie, age 28

I make that 12 first team players who at the time of sale were either at or near the top of their game.

In that same time period United have only lost Ronaldo with Chelsea loosing no one the didn't want to get rid of and Liverpool loosing 3 in Alonso, Mascherano and Torres and look what has happened to them.

I hope for Arsenals sake and for the good of the English league he doesn't listen to some fans and stays where he is, because if he does leave he's style of play and management skills will be a bigger loss to both then some people would like to believe.

Great post.

I think it often times takes someone with no allegiance to the club to offer a truly objective view. I know myself that even when I try to be as objective as possible it's hard not to have analysis blurred by my feelings about things that have happened at the club.

I think it's usually down to the frustration of not being where we were and want to be. I feel that taints our analysis of what the reality of the situation is.

For example, I really find it hard to accept our points totals for the last few seasons (this one included) and our inferiority to the top European sides we have faced over the past few years, just because I've been conditioned to view us as a top club from past successes.

But when you step back and look at this team, is it really that much of a failure to be in 5th and be eliminated from Europe to Bayern Munich (bar a minor miracle tonight)? And to be clear, this is just a questions related to the actual players we have at our disposal. From the perspective of support from the board to the management/team, we are epic failures.

Has Wenger left Walcott, Santi and Per at home?

Hope to fcuk thats not true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Yeh he's not very popular at any of the clubs he owns nor has any club he has owned ever won any silverware he's a leech sucking money up. I want him out.

I agree I want him out but it's not really true to say he's never won anything with his American teams. The Rams won a Superbowl in 99 and NFC champs in 2001 as well. Colorado Rapids won the MLS Cup in 2010, the Nuggets were division champs in 06, 09, and 10, and the Avalanche won the Stanley Cup in 2001 and 4 division championships from 2000-03.

Nothing in the past few years, but American sports can be like that, even for the top franchises. If anything, Arsenal are actually his least successful team of the lot in the time he's owned them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Has Wenger left Walcott, Santi and Per at home?

Hope to fcuk thats not true

Sounds like it, hopefully its not true, i thought at least we'd give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

TheBza wrote: »
    Sounds like it, hopefully its not true, i thought at least we'd give it a go.

But is there anything to give it a go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

There was a squad list on Arsenal.com yesterday and they were in it, can't find it now though.

Was basically Wilshere, Woj, Podolski, Sagna out. Fabianski, Arshavin, Diaby, Gibbs in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Of course there is, rather go out fighting than give up before even starting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

We are probably going to get mauled again tonight if the team that's rumoured is starting. How does Wenger think that will help confidence? I get that 4th place is now the most important thing but it saddens me that we've given up on a game before it's even started. Think this sums up how far we've fallen.

Irish Aris wrote: »

Of course there is. We cant give up before a ball is even kicked. Who knows what could happen. They could give away a peno and get a red card in the first few minutes.

Will be very disappointed if they are left out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Getting up at 3 am to watch this praying for a miracle.

Or at the least not a massacre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

1-0 or 2-1 or even 3-2 to Arsenal. Really think you'll win but won't go through.

Patrick Vieira, age 29
    Ashley Cole, age 25
    Thierry Henry, age 29
    Mathieu Flamini, age 24
    Aleksandr Hleb, age 27
    Kolo Toure, age 28
    Gael Clichy, age 25
    Samir Nasri, age 24
    Cesc Fabregas, age 24
    Alex Song, age 24
    Robin Van Persie, age 28

I know and the worst part was they all signed up to play with Bradford and Birmingham and dumped us out of the cups on our arses.
    You cant blame the people who left for the fact Wenger stuck with Bentner, Djourou, Santos and bought alot of Ligue 1 donkeys.

The 29 year olds Wenger turfed out cos he doesnt give more than 1 year contracts to old foggies.. tell that to Giggsy if Wenger managed Man U Giggs was gone from man U 10 years ago , and look at what he has helped them win in the interim.

And all those players went for massive money, plenty money to go find replacements .

• Advertisement

Point of pedantry, but Flamini left for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

and hleb was hardly a major player either

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

More of a major player than half the players on the list by the time they left.

Well, I'm all set for us to go out tonight. PL much more important.

Of course if we go through I'll probably name my next child after the goalscorer that puts us through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

No match thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

More of a major player than half the players on the list by the time they left.

He was what was wrong with arsenal at the time, toothless.

I didn't care that he left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Oranage2 wrote: »
    He was what was wrong with arsenal at the time, toothless.

I didn't care that he left.

He was a major player in our 07-08 team. I was really disappointed when he left at the time. That was arguably our best side since the invincibles, when we really should have won the title, but unfortunately bottled the last few months (common occurence the following few seasons) most notably with the Gallas strop. Flamini and Fabregas were immense for the majority of that season and Hleb wasnt too far behind IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I know and the worst part was they all signed up to play with Bradford and Birmingham and dumped us out of the cups on our arses.
    You cant blame the people who left for the fact Wenger stuck with Bentner, Djourou, Santos and bought alot of Ligue 1 donkeys.

The 29 year olds Wenger turfed out cos he doesnt give more than 1 year contracts to old foggies.. tell that to Giggsy if Wenger managed Man U Giggs was gone from man U 10 years ago , and look at what he has helped them win in the interim.

And all those players went for massive money, plenty money to go find replacements .

He hardly "stuck with" them. Whatever about Bendtner, but Santos played LB for Brazil and was known to be good going forward, all be it poor defensively. He also scored in the last game last year which helped us to secure 3rd, so it's not as if he made no positive contribution in his time at Arsenal.

Djourou was no more of a gamble than any other youth player. Walcott wasn't looking great until this year and had he not stepped up he would have been considered a failure as well. Unfortunately, a few of the gambles we have taken with youth players recently have not paid off, but that doesn't mean we should stop investing in young players.

If a youth player does turn out to be a failure, it does end up costing Arsenal a lot as no one else is willing to sign them because of their inflated wages etc and we can't get rid of them.

If we want to keep young players with potential at the moment, they have to be paid inflated wages. This is obviously far from ideal but the alternative is to forgo having the likes of Fabergas or Wilshere in our ranks, as they would cost significantly more if we want to buy them as established players, and even then there are no guarantees if they would work out or not.

Tell me though, out of all the players that Wenger willingly let leave, because they were over 30, how many of have continued their form or have contributed to the success of their new team?

• Advertisement

We are probably going to get mauled again tonight if the team that's rumoured is starting. How does Wenger think that will help confidence? I get that 4th place is now the most important thing but it saddens me that we've given up on a game before it's even started. Think this sums up how far we've fallen.

The tie was over at half-time in the home leg. No point in worrying about this game now. We didn't compete at home and what makes people think we can beat them in their own backyard? We are miles behind them.
    Wenger is no fool. He knows the odds of us beating them.
    Saturday's game is now much more important.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement