Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

I don't understand why Walcott's starting this game.

Tactically, we have no-one who can be seen as a game changer to come on as a sub. It's at games like these that he should come on as a super sub.

Can't wait to see Gerv, oxo and Andrey introduced on the 73rd minute :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I don't understand why Walcott's starting this game.

Tactically, we have no-one who can be seen as a game changer to come on as a sub. It's at games like these that he should come on as a super sub.

Can't wait to see Gerv, oxo and Andrey introduced on the 73rd minute :rolleyes:

When we have to effectively go for at least 3 goals you want to bench our top scorer?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Vermaelen dropped?

When we have to effectively go for at least 3 goals you want to bench our top scorer?!

Considering the massive streak he's on, yeah. He's much better coming on late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I agree I want him out but it's not really true to say he's never won anything with his American teams. The Rams won a Superbowl in 99 and NFC champs in 2001 as well. Colorado Rapids won the MLS Cup in 2010, the Nuggets were division champs in 06, 09, and 10, and the Avalanche won the Stanley Cup in 2001 and 4 division championships from 2000-03.

Nothing in the past few years, but American sports can be like that, even for the top franchises. If anything, Arsenal are actually his least successful team of the lot in the time he's owned them.

I wouldn't put the Avalanche's '01 stanley cup down to Kroenke at all, they moved there in '95 won the stanley cup in that season (95/96) won their division each year before he came & lost in 3 conference finals too.
    Since he's been there they won that stanley cup in his first season & lost the conference final the year after, since it's been all downhill

The Avalanche haven't won their division since '03. They only made the playoffs once in the last 4 seasons, twice in the last 6.

the Nuggets have only got past the first round of the playoffs once since he's been there, though they made them every season since 03-04 it looks as he happy to only get so far - kinda familiar isn't it

he bought both these teams in the summer of 2000 & agreed to keep them in Denver until 2025, the Avalanche were a far better team at the start than now - apart from the first few seasons when they were still a top team that he inherited he's let them slide big time, he has to give up his majority stake in both by 2014, to comply with NFL rules

he only held 40% of the Rams in '99 & took full control in 2010. The Rams haven't made the playoffs since the '04 season & only won their division 3 times since moving there in '95

i get the point about it being hard for teams to win in the american sports but the playoffs should be a must.
    He may be a stable owner & in it for the long term but success he does & will not bring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Fabianski oh god

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

looking forward to the game, extremely hopeful although Wenger team choice is what this tie will live or die on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Raf32 wrote: »
    Geoff Arsenal ‏@GeoffArsenal
    Change of keeper for Weds, Jack is NOT in the squad, Gibbs is back.

Geoff Arsenal had it spot on before anyone else had a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

i expect bayern to destroy us 10:0.

shall i watch the match or study for my interview tomorrow? or play some pc games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Fabianski oh god

Or as I call him Flapianski :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Good attempt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Proud to be a gooner tonight lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

That was a brilliant result. Very proud. Can always look back and say we beat a Bayern side of real quality in their backyard. Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Gringo180 wrote: »

Or as I call him Flapianski :rolleyes:
    He did well, he was ordering them about a fair bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think that's the worst I've ever seen an Arsenal side play. Was counting our passes in the 2nd half, I think the most we strung together were 4.

F*ck pride. Same problems showed right through the team tonight. We all pretty much knew that was our best back 4 without needing to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

some people will never be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

AdamD wrote: »
    I think that's the worst I've ever seen an Arsenal side play. Was counting our passes in the 2nd half, I think the most we strung together were 4.
    Would you get away, worst you've ever seen

2-0 win in Bayern you must have only watched some quality games for this to be the worst

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Mert & Kosc should be our CB's at the weekend, We need to defend like that for the rest of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

My eyes bleed at times reading this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Great result.

Arteta was a joke though. Probably our most experience player and how many needless fouls did he give in the added time that allowed Bayern to run down the clock?

Fabianski starts against Swansea imo with Kosc and Per ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Good effort lads . Fcuk that away goal rule and fcuk rte panel and ray houghton.
    Rant .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

iMuse wrote: »
    Mert & Kosc should be our CB's at the weekend, We need to defend like that for the rest of the season.

Agreed, I'm half thinking it may be worth sticking with Fabianski for a while too. Defence had a refreshing air of calm about it for a change.

Soups123 wrote: »
    Would you get away, worst you've ever seen

2-0 win in Bayern you must have only watched some quality games for this to be the worst
    HazDanz wrote: »
    My eyes bleed at times reading this forum.
    That match was completely awful from start to finish. We had 3 shots in the entire game. We defended alright, mainly because we had 10 players in their half for most of the game as we couldn't keep possession. For me tonight was the biggest indicator of a drop in quality, the passing was mindblowingly bad. I'm talking about the performance, not the result.

Wenger's subs were 20 minutes too late too

Heartbreaking really. We left it behind us tonight. Cant help feeling Wenger and team just didnt believe we could do it and picked a team with the Swansea game in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

iMuse wrote: »

And Fabianski in goals.

What experience do people expect Arteta to show? Winning the SPL with Rangers?

Another team won 2-0 tonight and I'll bet Santi would prefer to still be with them right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

jordainius wrote: »
    Agreed, I'm half thinking it may be worth sticking with Fabianski for a while too. Defence had a refreshing air of calm about it for a change.

I agree, Chesney has been poor for a while and a spell out of the team might do him a bit of good .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Flapianski was very good tonight, deserves to have his real name restored and a start vs Swansea.

• Advertisement

Soups123 wrote: »
    He did well, he was ordering them about a fair bit
    Agree he looked very assured tonight, hopefully he keeps the no1 spot

Also have to say that Carl Jenkinson was by far and away our best player. His last ditch defending is incredible and attacks seem to rarely come down his side, puts in a huge shift going forward too, but lacking in a bit of technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

That match was completely awful from start to finish. We had 3 shots in the entire game. We defended alright, mainly because we had 10 players in their half for most of the game as we couldn't keep possession. For me tonight was the biggest indicator of a drop in quality, the passing was mindblowingly bad. I'm talking about the performance, not the result.

I don't like to criticize anybody after such a great effort, but Ramsey, Rosicky, and Cazorla were poor tonight IMO. We gave Bayern the fright of their lives tonight with 4 minutes to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Heartbreaking really. We left it behind us tonight. Cant help feeling Wenger and team just didnt believe we could do it and picked a team with the Swansea game in mind

Disagree to be honest. I'm not quite sure TV5 and Szcz were "rested", plenty of question marks over their form recently, I wouldn't be surprised if we start with the same back 4 + GK this weekend. I actually think this was what Wenger considered to be the strongest XI available tonight.

On another note lads I nearly passed out when we scored our second I actually thought it was written in the stars for us after that 2nd went in, absolutely gutted now, so close but yet so far :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Listening to RTE "analysis" now. They are an absolute jokeshop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Gringo180 wrote: »
    On another note lads I nearly passed out when we scored our second I actually thought it was written in the stars for us after that 2nd went in, absolutely gutted now, so close but yet so far :(

I was watching the game at the German channel ZDF. When we scored the second, I thought that the German commentator was gonna have a stroke.
    Great effort tonight, especially in defense. Games like this give me hope. If only they can have a few games like this in the remaining Premier League season. . .

dorgasm wrote: »
    Listening to RTE "analysis" now. They are an absolute jokeshop.

Trying to backtrack now as they got it wrong, not for the first time. New faces needed I think that are not from the early seventies football leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Our defense looked very assured tonight albeit from a poor Bayern performance. Koscienly should start every match imo. We really missed Jack out there tonight, he would have revelled in the centre as it was an open enough match.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

Heartbroken but at the same time so proud of the team and proud to be a Gooner.

Imagine being heartbroken after beating arguably the best team in Europe 0-2 in their own backyard! :pac:

Hopefully this will give us the confidence we need in the run in and please oh please Mr Wenger, keep that centre-half pairing as it is for the weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

First side to keep a clean sheet in the Allianz in all competitions this year.

• Advertisement

dvemail wrote: »
    Our defense looked very assured tonight albeit from a poor Bayern performance. Koscienly should start every match imo. We really missed Jack out there tonight, he would have revelled in the centre as it was an open enough match.

Yes, Gibbs and Jenkinson were well on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Gutted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Jenkinson putting Shreeves in his place during the interview made my night :)

dvemail wrote: »
    Im putting the organised defensive play down to Fabianski, anytime i seen him he seemed to be roaring instructions to Kos and Mert, very impressed by him tonight I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

If our back five are changed for the Swansea game I'll be very disappointed.

Jenkinson putting Shreeves in his place during the interview made my night :)
    Shreeves really is a horrible cunf isnt he, classic reply from jenks "i dont want to talk about that now" haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Thought we looked much better after the substitutions.

For me, one of our biggest problems is the lack of competition for places. Walcott is nearly always assured a place, as are Cazorla and Arteta. Rosicky didn't have a great game tonight and had a woeful first touch although I'm not sure you can expect much from someone who has played so little this year. However, he did speed up the midfield considerably which helps play to our strengths of a quick counter attack. I would nearly prefer to see him play against Swansea than Arteta or perhaps even Cazorla if it meant they would put in the effort the next time they were given the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

There is the proper Arsenal full of fight, the reason we all love them. Lets use this momentum beating a top side 2-0 at home, lets kick on and beat the rest to top 4.

He should have brought Diaby on too.

Gervinho to be fair to him done well when he came on and unlucky not to score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Performances- Fabianski, put up a good show,solid at the back. Jenkinson, did some really good defending. Looked good on the attack, really worked it. Likewise with Gibbs, great comeback for him. Centrebacks held it together very well, provided calm and strength.

Midfield, lacking at the best of times, Rosicky and Ramsey to a smaller extent made too many errors. Walcott put in a good shift, but lacked the edge Arsenal needed on the wing, disappointing he couldnt create more. Cazorla, not his best game in an Arsenal shirt, but picked up tempo towards end. Artea, disappointing towards end, lost his nerve when it was needed. Giroud played well, didn't get enough supply though.

The subs, Gervinho did surprisingly well, lovely turn in the box. Oxlade played really well.

Ref and Linesman awful, ridicolous yellows, corner not given, offside for Walcott when he was clearly onside,3 minuets extra time, when it should of been longer, blew up exactly on time... and they are just the glaringly bad judgements made

Dunphy and the panel partaking in some fabolous hyperbole and overall bolloxology too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement