Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

I'd hate to see the reaction here had we actually lost last night...

Most of us were expecting to lose last night, and when this team loses it can take them a very long time to snap out of it and quit feeling sorry for themselves. Last night puts us in a better position heading into the final 10 league games in psychological terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    He was crap v Spurs

I agree he didnt look his usual self, just wondering was his ankle at him against Spurs or did that happen in training after the Spurs match?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Not sure whether this was posted or not as I haven't read over the last 10 pages but Fabianski was fúcking great!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

greendom wrote: »

He went on a great run after he signed the contract but has been a bit quiet since then

He hasn't been scoring hat tricks lately but he's still getting plenty of assists.

I cant help but feel last nights win (although a great result) is just going to paper over the cracks, this team needs major surgery in the summer. The lack of real quality or creativity from the midfield was frightening to say the least, Ramsey was absolutely atrocious and in saying atrocious I mean one of the worst performances I have seen in an Arsenal jersey in a long time, you can say all you like that he works his ass off and puts in a great shift but so would Paul McShane if he was out there but it doesn't mean he is good enough. Arteta was pretty poor also, love his attitude and leadership qualities but I cant help but feel he just lacks it at the very top level. The only positive about last nights game was our defensive performance and obviously the result, but my frank assessment of last night was just not good enough, I now realise this team really is the poorest we've had in the last 15 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I cant help but feel last nights win (although a great result) is just going to paper over the cracks, this team needs major surgery in the summer. The lack of real quality or creativity from the midfield was frightening to say the least, Ramsey was absolutely atrocious and in saying atrocious I mean one of the worst performances I have seen in an Arsenal jersey in a long time, you can say all you like that he works his ass off and puts in a great shift but so would Paul McShane if he was out there but it doesn't mean he is good enough. Arteta was pretty poor also, love his attitude and leadership qualities but I cant help but feel he just lacks it at the very top level. The only positive about last nights game was our defensive performance and obviously the result, but my frank assessment of last night was just not good enough, I now realise this team really is the poorest we've had in the last 15 years.

If ramsey strings one good pass together in a game he played brilliant according to some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Walcott 18 (11)
    Giroud 15 (9)
    Podolski 13 (9)
    Cazorla 11 (11)
    Gervinho 5 (3)
    Arteta 4 (4)
    Koscielny 3 (1)
    Mr. Owen Goal 3 (3)
    Chamakh 2 (0)
    Mertesacker 2 (2)
    Oxlade-Chamberlain 2 (1)
    Wilshere 2 (0)
    Arshavin 1 (0)
    Gibbs 1 (0)
    Miquel 1 (0)
    Ramsey 1 (0)
    Rosicky 1 (0)
    Vermaelen 1 (0)

(League goals in brackets)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Get beat 3-1 by Munich people bitch and moan

Beat Munich 2-0 away people bitch and moan

Thread Is a fcuking farce the best of times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Must say Girouds 15 goals so far this season is a great return for 10million.

Its not the result were moaning about its the fact that it was a dyer attacking performance last night, Munich were absolutely abysmal last night and yet we still only managed 2 shots on target 2 off target to there 5 on target and 12 off target. Dont let that result fool you because Munich were dyer last night and we weren't much better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Its not the result were moaning about its the fact that it was a dyer attacking performance last night, Munich were absolutely abysmal last night and yet we still only managed 2 shots on target 2 off target to there 5 on target and 12 off target. Dont let that result fool you because Munich were dyer last night and we weren't much better.
    I think the stats are somewhat misleading. A lot of their shots were pretty wild attempts. I remember Giroud tried one ridiculous effort which infuriated Wenger, he was never going to score and it would have been far more productive to pass it to another player. A lot of Bayern's efforts were similar to this and I think our defensive stability was why.

Wolf Club wrote: »
    I think the stats are somewhat misleading. A lot of their shots were pretty wild attempts. I remember Giroud tried one ridiculous effort which infuriated Wenger, he was never going to score and it would have been far more productive to pass it to another player. A lot of Bayern's efforts were similar to this and I think our defensive stability was why.

Okay honest question, were you happy with our offensive threat? Only in the last 15 minutes did we look any way dangerous, and that was down to bringing Gervinho and Oxlade Chamberlain on and also down to them sitting back. Before that we offered nothing in an attacking threat, I really do feel for Giroud with the service or lack of service he gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Okay honest question, were you happy with our offensive threat? Only in the last 15 minutes did we look any way dangerous, and that was down to bringing Gervinho and Oxlade Chamberlain on and also down to them sitting back. Before that we offered nothing in an attacking threat, I really do feel for Giroud with the service or lack of service he gets.
    No, our attack was poor. But then, one of our most creative midfielders was injured and the other was playing out on the wing. I thought Rosicky would have more of an impact than he did. The point I was trying to make was that our defense was so solid that Kroos, etc. were forced to shoot from distance, and while the stats are in their favour, not many of their "attempts" were really goal chances. Usually when a team has loads of chances but don't score, there is some element of luck for the team that don't concede. Our clean sheet last night was in no ways lucky, but down to the great performances of defenders (unless of course you believe that Bayern didn't bother to step up a gear as they already thought they were through, which I don't believe to be the case).

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It was a good performance last night beacause wenger actually changed his tactics to counter the team we were playing against (probably the only time he's done that this season?). If the team had gone out with the same approach they usually do we would have lost imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,467 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If we played badly in all our away EPL games but won 2 nil I would be delighted.

If we played badly in all our away EPL games but won 2 nil I would be delighted.

Of course me too, but the way some people are going on you would swear it was an epic performance by the team.

If people are seriously happy about last night then I'm on the verge of giving up.
    Do yous by any chance agree with Wenger that last night shows we don't really need to strengthen?
    I doubt it, and if not, it's because you know that Bayern's display last night was not representative.

There's **** all to be happy about from last night, we're out of the tournament. If we'd lost 6-0 in the first leg and won 5-0 last night it'd be the same.

If people are seriously happy about last night then I'm on the verge of giving up.
    Do yous by any chance agree with Wenger that last night shows we don't really need to strengthen?
    I doubt it, and if not, it's because you know that Bayern's display last night was not representative.

There's **** all to be happy about from last night, we're out of the tournament. If we'd lost 6-0 in the first leg and won 5-0 last night it'd be the same.

Did Wenger actually say that?

There was a quote posted earlier in the thread though it was dated September this year. :pac:

• Advertisement

There's **** all to be happy about from last night, the team still lacks quality and look so unsteady on the ball.

I don't think you get what I mean. The fact that we lack quality is the reason it was a good performance, there's no way that team could have played Bayern off the pitch, they won the game the only way they could. I'm not happy with the team as a whole and as a whole we're in a sorry state of affairs but i'm happy with last night because expecting to win the game against Bayern in any other fashion with this team is just unrealistic especially considering we were missing Jack and Podolski (and Woj to a lesser extent, but Fabianski was pretty solid I thought).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I don't think you get what I mean. The fact that we lack quality is the reason it was a good performance, there's no way that team could have played Bayern off the pitch, they won the game the only way they could. I'm not happy with the team as a whole and as a whole we're in a sorry state of affairs but i'm happy with last night because expecting to win the game against Bayern in any other fashion with this team is just unrealistic especially considering we were missing Jack and Podolski (and Woj to a lesser extent, but Fabianski was pretty solid I thought).

I don't mind the tactics. I actually quite like the tactics, they're far more effective and less risky than the ones we usually deploy. I still think are midfield were awful to a man. Some really uncharacteristic passing, if our midfield played to their ability I thought we could have given it a real shot. Jack could have made a serious difference in that game had he have been fit.

If I could double thank this I would

Look we're still fairly toothless going forward, I'm not getting excited by our defence after one performance. Not overally convinced that we have good options in goal with fabinaski

I no all this

But last last night we beat Munich 2-0 away from home, we were the first team to keep them scoreless in a year

So I'm gonna enjoy that result regardless of what's wrong with this team

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Look we're still fairly toothless going forward, I'm not getting excited by our defence after one performance. Not overally convinced that we have good options in goal with fabinaski

I no all this

But last last night we beat Munich 2-0 away from home, we were the first team to keep them scoreless in a year

So I'm gonna enjoy that result regardless of what's wrong with this team

You seem in reasonable mood, the above is reasonable.

Would you agree Ramsey was muck last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Last nights lack of attacking threat had a lot to do with our good defensive display. We sat a lot deeper then normal. If the defense had pushed up we would have been winning the ball back quicker and putting more sustained pressure on them and creating more chances, but we would be leaving ourselves open at the back. We do this in the PL. Its a balancing act really between attack and defense. If we had better players up front maybe our defense wouldnt need to push up so much and wouldnt get caught out.

Off all the players we need to get, a game changing striker or winger has to be at the top of that list

Soups123 wrote: »

You seem in reasonable mood, the above is reasonable.

Would you agree Ramsey was muck last night

Never :)
    He had a poor game but was no worse than arteta or cazorla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Jesus some of the moaning in here is shocking, we bet Bayern Munich endeing the unbeaten run, a team who have been in 2 champions League finals in 3 years and people are still giving out :eek:. We defended well last night with our best CB pairing suprise suprise, and we nullified a very well orgnaised and slick attacking team take some positives.

The only sad part for me was much like last year and a lot of this season it takes till were up against it or hope is lost before we start performing this is something that has to be looked at.

We also really need a more attacking edge I do like Giroud but we need better or else better playing alongside him at least.

I really hope the teams gains some confidence from this and it can inspire them to put a decent string of results together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

When United drew with Madrid away they were still in with a hope of going through, when Arsenal beat Munich they were out. Not totally unreasonable that people are disappointed with that overall. It's been the story with Arsenal a lot this season. They play great stuff when they go down a couple of goals but not much drive before that.

Liam O wrote: »
    When United drew with Madrid away they were still in with a hope of going through, when Arsenal beat Munich they were out. Not totally unreasonable that people are disappointed with that overall. It's been the story with Arsenal a lot this season. They play great stuff when they go down a couple of goals but not much drive before that.

Yeh but a lot of people aren't moaning about going out there moaning about the performance in a match we won 2-0 against one of Europe's best teams ;).

I think everyone is a fan will be disappointed to have gone out once again, doesn't bode well for the EPL either having all teams out this early shows how far the league has fallen in recent seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

This thread makes me weep. Very little objective views of last night.

Bayern left no space, none. They simply set out not to concede three goals and despite us nearly doing it, they never actually looked like being carved open.

There is no appreciation here of how difficult Bayern made it for our midfield and attack.

Of course they could have done better but people need to cop on and see that teams like Swansea will be easier to play than teams like Bayern.

Yes, this is a poor Arsenal squad and we could clearly see the lack of quality once space is denied to them ... But if we show the same spirit for the rest of the season then we'll make a fight of it.

If you can't get behind that, then you simply don't support the club.

gosplan wrote: »
    This thread makes me weep. Very little objective views of last night.

Bayern left no space, none. They simply set out not to concede three goals and despite us nearly doing it, they never actually looked like being carved open.

There is no appreciation here of how difficult Bayern made it for our midfield and attack.

Of course they could have done better but people need to cop on and see that teams like Swansea will be easier to play than teams like Bayern.

Yes, this is a poor Arsenal squad and we could clearly see the lack of quality once space is denied to them ... But if we show the same spirit for the rest of the season then we'll make a fight of it.

If you can't get behind that, then you simply don't support the club.

The thing is, when they go down by one or two to the likes of Spurs and City they show what they can be, and that's a really good team. It seems to be a lack of confidence more than anything. They look capable of outplaying anyone when in the right mindset, they just don't seem to be there mentally for a lot of first halves of games.

I think everyone is a fan will be disappointed to have gone out once again, doesn't bode well for the EPL either having all teams out this early shows how far the league has fallen in recent seasons.

Ah now thats jumping the gun a bit imo, United were extremely unlucky to go out, we were pretty close to going through against last years runner up in the end and Chelsea won the thing last season!

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Ah now thats jumping the gun a bit imo, United were extremely unlucky to go out, we were pretty close to going through against last years runner up in the end and Chelsea won the thing last season!

Ah yeh but the EPL can certainly no longer even try claim to be the best league in Europe I'd put the best teams in Germany and Spain a few leaps above any of the teams in England.

This United team that is currently walking the EPL is not a great team by any stretch of the imagination there just winning a league with no outstanding teams.

Ah yeh but the EPL can certainly no longer even try claim to be the best league in Europe I'd put the best teams in Germany and Spain a few leaps above any of the teams in England.

This United team that is currently walking the EPL is not a great team by any stretch of the imagination there just winning a league with no outstanding teams.

And yet they were ahead of one of previously mentioned best teams in Spain until a dodgy red card was handed out. Currently short of an extra CM or 2 to play beside Carrick and give him a few breaks and another winger and perfectly set for the next couple of seasons.

City have a top team that are just being mismanaged. Aguero, Silva, Tevez and one or 2 others would get into the Real, Barca, Bayern, Dortmund teams and I'd fancy City to go deep in the tournament next season.

Chelsea have 3 of the best young(ish) AMs in world football, If they can get a top class DM and striker they will be back around the quarters and semis next season. Whichever one of Arsenal or Spurs can get in 2 of the next 3 seasons will by then have built a capable team. I believe Arsenal are a lot better atm than they are being given credit for.

TLDR: This is a transitional season and I would honestly expect more English teams in the 2nd round next season that Spanish, German and Italian. This season's tournament is an anomality (sp) and the English team's top 5 or 6 is the strongest in world football imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Super Spuds are bottling it over in the San Siro 2-0 down with 20 mins left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

There's the Spurs we know and love

Good result for us, looking like 2 really bad ones for Spurs. Swing in momentum? Will still require our best form of the season to pull it off but it is looking doable..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,467 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Reminds me of that old cowboy song

"three wheels on my wagon and i'm just rolling along ..."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Super Spuds are bottling it over in the San Siro 2-0 down with 20 mins left

make that 3-0. Hopefully the start of a collapse.

3 now Gallas with an og hilarious

• Advertisement

Been honest i'd rather they stayed in it as long as possible more chance of them screwing up at the weekends , IF they go out tonight they'll be doubly determined to grab a CL spot

And yet they were ahead of one of previously mentioned best teams in Spain until a dodgy red card was handed out.

United this year or Arsenal last year? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

There's some unbelievable stuff being posted here:

• the way to go about scoring 3 goals you need to score to stay in a competition away to Bayern is to sit & counter attack
    • if a team make it in the slightest way difficult for Arsenal (this is arguable) , just accept the fact they can't break them down because they haven't the attacking nouse to do so & be grateful of so called spirit, otherwise you don't support the team
    • we won 2-0 at Bayern therefore it's a great result & performance
    • Everyone just loves bashing Ramsey

Did any single one of you actually feel that Arsenal we going to do it last night when watching the game?
    Neuer didn't even have a save to make i think

Bayern as poor as the were as well offered the most in an attacking sense, in a second half period where arsenal were under pressure for a bit - Arsenal handled this well enough in fairness with some good last ditch stuff too.

but Arsenal were shocking attacking wise, for a team who had to score to stay in they offered absolutely nothing.

Ramsey's being bashed for a very good reason - he was fúcking mince, couldn't pass his own piss.
    You don't see Gervinho being bashed, the most disliked player at arsenal now, do you? no. because he offered something in the time he had.

I think it was a damage limitation exercise from arsenal, something Wenger alluded to sometime between the tottenham game & last night, basically saying being beat again could have negative consequences.
    But the way the game was Bayern were there for the taking

Someone said the would like to see the thread if Arsenal had lost, well they did lose
    I would think everyone now - me included - who are being labeled moaners or whatever wouldn't have any issues if the team went out and had a fúcking go at them, whether they lost 5 - 3 on the night or whatever, just as long as they had a proper go. It wasn't like the nou camp a few season ago where Barca didn't give them a sniff

Arsenal were 1 goal away from equalizing in the tie against AC Milan last year & in the end only 1 goal away from going through last - i know which performance i think was better, the one where you could honestly say the gave everything to stay in the competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Spurs look like they are going through, its for the best two more games at least for them making them play on Sundays, so more then likely we will be playing before them most weeks and get to put the pressure on them.

And yet they were ahead of one of previously mentioned best teams in Spain until a dodgy red card was handed out. Currently short of an extra CM or 2 to play beside Carrick and give him a few breaks and another winger and perfectly set for the next couple of seasons.

City have a top team that are just being mismanaged. Aguero, Silva, Tevez and one or 2 others would get into the Real, Barca, Bayern, Dortmund teams and I'd fancy City to go deep in the tournament next season.

Chelsea have 3 of the best young(ish) AMs in world football, If they can get a top class DM and striker they will be back around the quarters and semis next season. Whichever one of Arsenal or Spurs can get in 2 of the next 3 seasons will by then have built a capable team. I believe Arsenal are a lot better atm than they are being given credit for.

TLDR: This is a transitional season and I would honestly expect more English teams in the 2nd round next season that Spanish, German and Italian. This season's tournament is an anomality (sp) and the English team's top 5 or 6 is the strongest in world football imo.

You just kinda proved my point there a lot if's but's and maybe's in that post.

I never said they were a million miles off but there not at the same level and in a roundabout way you agreed without agreeing because of the reasons you stated ;). The top teams in England aren't a million miles off but they all need quality additions to be up there properly competing in Europe again, in the summer this may happen but right now there not.

Plus yes United were close to beating the often lauded Madrid team but lets not forget Real Madrid are 13 points off the pace in Spain, United are cruising in EPL to another championship.

Best of both worlds spurs get a good beating on the back of the Pool game and they stay in another round. Good night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Soups123 wrote: »
    Best of both world spurs get a good beating on the back of the Pool game and they stay in another round. Good night!

Plus they look absolutely shattered for the weekend :)

Raf32 wrote: »

Plus they look absolutely shattered for the weekend :)
    Yep that'll be felt Saturday. They had no outlet will Bale not there. He has easily been a 18 point difference for them this year and maybe more

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Plus yes United were close to beating the often lauded Madrid team but lets not forget Real Madrid are 13 points off the pace in Spain, United are cruising in EPL to another championship.

Yes indeed, but close never does it. Madrid were the better team on the night. Madrid did not panic going one nil down away from home, but Man Utd did panic after getting a red, not unheard of in football, but maybe at OT, lol.

Where was the Man Utd team on sunday when Chelsea outclassed it in the second half, and were so unlucky not to have won it? Its that other teams have been so bad this season that made Man Utd look good, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

People bitching about last night's performance I understand, but people complaining about Arsenal fans taking positives from last night is a load of bullshit. Get over yourselves, "There's some unbelievable stuff being posted here" and "If people are seriously happy about last night then I'm on the verge of giving up.", I mean for fcuks sake, not everyone wants to wallow in misery all the time. If people want to be happy with last nights game then let them. You can make your point about how unhappy you are with the game without the hyperbolic indignation aimed at those who dare to take the positives from it.
    batistuta9 wrote: »
    Someone said the would like to see the thread if Arsenal had lost, well they did lose

That someone was me, perfectly valid statement because guess what; we didn't lose last night, we won 2-0. It was quite obvious I was referring to last nights game on its own and not the tie over two legs- I can't believe I've actually had to clarify that for someone (can't ****ing stand people taking things I say out of context, particularly when the context I meant it in is very obvious)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement