Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,467 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

jordainius wrote: »
    People bitching about last night's performance I understand, but people complaining about Arsenal fans taking positives from last night is a load of bullshit. Get over yourselves, "There's some unbelievable stuff being posted here" and "If people are seriously happy about last night then I'm on the verge of giving up.", I mean for fcuks sake, not everyone wants to wallow in misery all the time. If people want to be happy with last nights game then let them. You can make your point about how unhappy you are with the game without the hyperbolic indignation aimed at those who dare to take the positives from it.

That someone was me, perfectly valid statement because guess what; we didn't lose last night, we won 2-0. It was quite obvious I was referring to last nights game on its own and not the tie over two legs- I can't believe I've actually had to clarify that for someone (can't ****ing stand people taking things I say out of context, particularly when the context I meant it in is very obvious)

I don't disagree with what you are saying but we did keep a clean sheet and the defence played well for once too.

I remember the days of singing "one nil to the Arsenal" on the North Bank and that is the way the score would stay too. I'd be happy to win 2 nil away despite the performance at any venue in the EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

jordainius wrote: »
    People bitching about last night's performance I understand, but people complaining about Arsenal fans taking positives from last night is a load of bullshit. Get over yourselves, "There's some unbelievable stuff being posted here" and "If people are seriously happy about last night then I'm on the verge of giving up.", I mean for fcuks sake, not everyone wants to wallow in misery all the time. If people want to be happy with last nights game then let them. You can make your point about how unhappy you are with the game without the hyperbolic indignation aimed at those who dare to take the positives from it.

That someone was me, perfectly valid statement because guess what; we didn't lose last night, we won 2-0. It was quite obvious I was referring to last nights game on its own and not the tie over two legs- I can't believe I've actually had to clarify that for someone (can't ****ing stand people taking things I say out of context, particularly when the context I meant it in is very obvious)

It's the way you go on about the positives - there was only one, the defence

Any criticism in here at all is labeled misery, what the fúck did arsenal do to make you think they had a hope of qualifying? Answer me that - did they put pressure on Bayern? Test Neuer? Go all out to try and score?

It was a weird game; Arsenal score early, do nothing - HT - do nothing, deal with a bit of Bayern pressure - Score - FT.
    Arsenal weren't playing like a side who thought they weren't every going to go through & didn't even try

Hyperbolic - what about the comments like 'Arsenal can't out-football Bayern' & the rest of the apologetic shít. They were there to be got at last night whether or not you care to admit it or not

i knew what you meant, but Arsenal lost the tie - right or wrong? yet it was just greeted with acceptance & even justified by some. I wasn't taking it out of context, I even explained the fúcking context
    I would think everyone now - me included - who are being labeled moaners or whatever wouldn't have any issues if the team went out and had a fúcking go at them, whether they lost 5 - 3 on the night or whatever, just as long as they had a proper go. It wasn't like the nou camp a few season ago where Barca didn't give them a sniff

Most of you seem to have excepted it 2 weeks ago, even i probably did, but after seeing the game last night I feel Arsenal went out with a whimper, yet it's being lauded as some great night by some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Interesting comments from Arteta. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but it seems more damning of Szez than anything else....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/mar/14/mikel-arteta-arsenal-lukasz-fabianski?CMP=twt_gu

He's just positive about Flappy rather than negative about Chesney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

batistuta9 wrote: »
    There's some unbelievable stuff being posted here:

• the way to go about scoring 3 goals you need to score to stay in a competition away to Bayern is to sit & counter attack
    • if a team make it in the slightest way difficult for Arsenal (this is arguable) , just accept the fact they can't break them down because they haven't the attacking nouse to do so & be grateful of so called spirit, otherwise you don't support the team
    • we won 2-0 at Bayern therefore it's a great result & performance
    • Everyone just loves bashing Ramsey

Did any single one of you actually feel that Arsenal we going to do it last night when watching the game?
    Neuer didn't even have a save to make i think

Bayern as poor as the were as well offered the most in an attacking sense, in a second half period where arsenal were under pressure for a bit - Arsenal handled this well enough in fairness with some good last ditch stuff too.

but Arsenal were shocking attacking wise, for a team who had to score to stay in they offered absolutely nothing.

Ramsey's being bashed for a very good reason - he was fúcking mince, couldn't pass his own piss.
    You don't see Gervinho being bashed, the most disliked player at arsenal now, do you? no. because he offered something in the time he had.

I think it was a damage limitation exercise from arsenal, something Wenger alluded to sometime between the tottenham game & last night, basically saying being beat again could have negative consequences.
    But the way the game was Bayern were there for the taking

Someone said the would like to see the thread if Arsenal had lost, well they did lose
    I would think everyone now - me included - who are being labeled moaners or whatever wouldn't have any issues if the team went out and had a fúcking go at them, whether they lost 5 - 3 on the night or whatever, just as long as they had a proper go. It wasn't like the nou camp a few season ago where Barca didn't give them a sniff

Arsenal were 1 goal away from equalizing in the tie against AC Milan last year & in the end only 1 goal away from going through last - i know which performance i think was better, the one where you could honestly say the gave everything to stay in the competition

1. There is nothing wrong with counter attack football. In fact we thrived off it for a long time with the likes of Henry and I still believe it is the way we should play. We destroyed West Ham playing that way and I think we could repeat that against much better teams instead of giving them time to settle before we attack.

2. Is it too much to ask fans of Arsenal to support the team? A lot of fans/supporters in here would prefer to see Arsenal lose because it would suit their point. Regardless whether you support Wenger or not, you should always hope your team win even if it goes against the manager/player(s) that you don't think are good enough for the club.

3. It is a great result. Performance wise, less so, but we still beat the team that was put in front of us. Just because they had a poor night should not mean we should just roll over and let them beat us purely because they are better than us on form.

4. Everyone does love bashing Ramsey. He had a pass completion rate of 92% a few games ago and people were still calling him shít. Last night he was poor, I'm not a fan of his by the way, but by no means was he clearly the worst.

Neur may not have had a save to make, but he still conceded two and almost a third (Gervinho).

Despite what the media will have you think, Arsenal were still missing at least two key players, both of whom add an extra offensive option.

Could Arsenal have played better and won? Definitely. Arteta seems to be getting more unreliable and less up for it. Cazorla was missing for a lot of the game. Rosicky? Well how long has it been since he has been a regular? Ramsey? Was poor but no worse than any other of the midfielders, certainly not worse than Arteta.

No one is saying this team is up there with the Invincibles. Far from it. But considering the team that was out there and how good Bayern are supposed to be, that Arsenal team that were out there did well.

Despite how we have played for most of this season, I think this team is capable of a lot more. I'm not sure if it is a confidence issue, a teamwork issue or something else but when good, skillful players can't make a simple 10 yard pass, there is clearly something else going on in the background. Whether this is something Wenger can fix or not, some thing needs to be done to fix these simple mistakes.

• Advertisement

We have the 4th highest wage bill in the PL. We're not outperforming anything. I'm tired of the "with what's available" BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Buttonftw wrote: »
    We have the 4th highest wage bill in the PL. We're not outperforming anything. I'm tired of the "with what's available" BS.

We finished 3rd last year so I guess we outperformed then :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So every year AW is at least matching expectations -you can't ask for much more than that. This year there may be a slight drop off but what can you expect when your best players are sold and replaced with players costing less money ? Where are we in the net transfer league table ? Bottom or certainly relegation fodder I believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Mr.Micro wrote: »

Yes indeed, but close never does it. Madrid were the better team on the night. Madrid did not panic going one nil down away from home, but Man Utd did panic after getting a red, not unheard of in football, but maybe at OT, lol.

Where was the Man Utd team on sunday when Chelsea outclassed it in the second half, and were so unlucky not to have won it? Its that other teams have been so bad this season that made Man Utd look good, IMO.

Oh my goodness.

Not even worth the reply.

Deluded.

We finished 3rd last year so I guess we outperformed then :):)
    That puts us straight into the CL group stages for next season, awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

batistuta9 wrote: »
    There's some unbelievable stuff being posted here:

• if a team make it in the slightest way difficult for Arsenal (this is arguable) , just accept the fact they can't break them down because they haven't the attacking nouse to do so & be grateful of so called spirit, otherwise you don't support the team

Did any single one of you actually feel that Arsenal we going to do it last night when watching the game?

You're extrapolated the wrong thing there.

It's not if 'a team make it the slightest bit difficult'.

It's 'if this Bayern team make it difficult'...

And then I pointed out that our performance wasn't good enough for that night but Swansea should be a different case.

We weren't good enough before the other night and we weren't good enough on the night.

I was happy with the spirit shown and hope they can continue to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

BFabnJJCAAAAAZl.jpg

Interesting look at the run in

I have to take Spurs in a last-man-standing competition I am in. There are only 3 of us left. 500 euro for the winner.
    If they win it's not all bad and if they lose it's not all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Oh my goodness.

Not even worth the reply.

Deluded.

Not surprised really, as its hard to argue with fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I have to take Spurs in a last-man-standing competition I am in. There are only 3 of us left. 500 euro for the winner.

Do you feel dirty??

You should!!

Well tomorrow's game has now become our biggest and most important game.
    Three points is a must.
    I hope Wenger leaves Wednesday's defence alone but he will probably make changes. Never change a winning team was always good advice.

I can see Podolski returning and maybe Diaby getting a game in the middle with Ramsey and Rosicky dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Three points is a must.
    I hope Wenger leaves Wednesday's defence alone but he will probably make changes. Never change a winning team was always good advice.

I can see Podolski returning and maybe Diaby getting a game in the middle with Ramsey and Rosicky dropped.

Monreal will definitely be in for Gibbs. I think he might leave the rest the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Three points is a must.

I think Podolski is still out injured. Gibbs, Sagna and Jack out as well.

Maire2009 wrote: »
    I think Podolski is still out injured. Gibbs, Sagna and Jack out as well.

What happened to Gibbs? He was only just back on Wed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Just taking it easy with him I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Spreading your bet , I like it

"on Kieran Gibbs...
    I think he will be out on Saturday. He had a little reaction on his thigh. He is not injured but we have to be cautious with it. He might be out."

Spreading your bet , I like it

No choice. They are the last team left for me so I am stuck with them. I still hope they lose, to hell with the money. COYG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

No choice. They are the last team left for me so I am stuck with them. I still hope they lose, to hell with the money. COYG.

But to be honest the cash would be nice too :D

A big test for the manager tomorrow --

Does he play his captain or has he the guts to leave him out again?
    Hope he leaves him out. Big decision.

Bit off topic, but was looking at the French squad called up. Kos and Varane would be a pretty awesome CB pairing imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Bit off topic, but was looking at the French squad called up. Kos and Varane would be a pretty awesome CB pairing imo.

Excellent pairing. I think Varane is going to be exceptional in the next few years.

That's what I call having your cake and eating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

farna_boy wrote: »
    1. There is nothing wrong with counter attack football. In fact we thrived off it for a long time with the likes of Henry and I still believe it is the way we should play. We destroyed West Ham playing that way and I think we could repeat that against much better teams instead of giving them time to settle before we attack.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it

but when your going into a game effectively 3 goals down, it isn't the time to be looking to be set up to counter attack

If any team was going into that game looking to be setup to counter attack, it should have been Bayern because Arsenal needed 3 goals, so should've been going at them but they didn't for some reason

Arsenal weren't setup to counter attack against west ham, they played as they normally do, but caught west hams high line with no pressure out a few times
    there's a difference between scoring a goal on the counter attack and being setup to be a counter attacking team
    2. Is it too much to ask fans of Arsenal to support the team? A lot of fans/supporters in here would prefer to see Arsenal lose because it would suit their point. Regardless whether you support Wenger or not, you should always hope your team win even if it goes against the manager/player(s) that you don't think are good enough for the club.

No, it isn't.

Is it too much to ask of the team to give their all to stay in the champions league?
    apparently it is going by the comments on here.

nobody wants Arsenal to lose to suit their point & people do want the team to win

I would rather arsenal got beat by having a proper go on Wednesday, than the limping win they got, actually.
    3. It is a great result. Performance wise, less so, but we still beat the team that was put in front of us. Just because they had a poor night should not mean we should just roll over and let them beat us purely because they are better than us on form.

What?

The whole issue is about the the performance or lack of it shown by the team on Wednesday

Arsenal may as well have rolled over, they didn't have a go at Bayern - that's the whole issue here
    4. Everyone does love bashing Ramsey. He had a pass completion rate of 92% a few games ago and people were still calling him shít. Last night he was poor, I'm not a fan of his by the way, but by no means was he clearly the worst.

On Wednesday he was as bad as i've ever seen him i think, that's why he's being bashed.

He probably does get unfair criticism, there'll always be players who do, but Ramsey deserves any criticism he gets for Wednesday.
    Neur may not have had a save to make, but he still conceded two and almost a third (Gervinho).

Despite what the media will have you think, Arsenal were still missing at least two key players, both of whom add an extra offensive option.

what are you on about the media for? Everyone knows who was missing, it's the players that were on the pitch we're on about

Neuer conceded in the 3rd & 86th minute, what did he have to do in between? Sweet f a, that's what.
    Could Arsenal have played better and won? Definitely. Arteta seems to be getting more unreliable and less up for it. Cazorla was missing for a lot of the game. Rosicky? Well how long has it been since he has been a regular? Ramsey? Was poor but no worse than any other of the midfielders, certainly not worse than Arteta.

No one is saying this team is up there with the Invincibles. Far from it. But considering the team that was out there and how good Bayern are supposed to be, that Arsenal team that were out there did well.

Arteta probably needs a breather, hopefully he's replaced him the summer & made a squad player

I don't like Cazorla out wide, it's OK against some teams but i'd rather him centrally i think he's more effective there.
    I know it's his first season but there's a bit of the arsenal about him - at times he's excellent others you barely notice him playing

Rosicky should be moved on too in the summer i think. People were questioning why he wasn't getting more time recently, maybe Wednesday showed why

They did well defensively that's all they did well.
    Despite how we have played for most of this season, I think this team is capable of a lot more. I'm not sure if it is a confidence issue, a teamwork issue or something else but when good, skillful players can't make a simple 10 yard pass, there is clearly something else going on in the background. Whether this is something Wenger can fix or not, some thing needs to be done to fix these simple mistakes.

I think that nearly every season about Arsenal but in reality they probably aren't. I'd say their max this season they should be finishing 3rd in the PL, at their max every game, chelsea are capable of a lot more than arsenal i feel but they've got far less stable circumstances going on than at arsenal since the start of the season

There's a reason all pundits, etc. were saying it'd be wenger's best achievement to get this team top 4.

If they can't make 10 yard passes they're probably not as good as we think they are or not able to handle it at a big club/big games
    No point in being a world beater against Reading or Southampton at home

Arsenal need to get players in the summer, at least 3, to go straight into the team. Not that they only need 3 player but 3 starters.

• Advertisement

HazDanz wrote: »
    Excellent pairing. I think Varane is going to be exceptional in the next few years.

He's pretty exceptional now to be honest. Class act whenever I've seen him. 6'3'' as well which works well with Kos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

A big test for the manager tomorrow --

Does he play his captain or has he the guts to leave him out again?
    Hope he leaves him out. Big decision.

I think all but gibbs he should leave the back 5 alone.

The only problem is Kos and fabanski are just as likely to make a howler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Team should stay the same as Wednesday imo aside from Monreal in for Gibbs which is a forced change.

Only change I'd make aside from that would possibly be Diaby in for Ramsey.

Arsenal team: Fabianski, Jenkinson, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal, Arteta, Diaby, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Cazorla, Walcott, Giroud

Substitutes: Szczesny, Vermaelen, Gibbs, Coquelin, Rosicky, Ramsey, Gervinho

Ox or Cazorla through the middle? Wouldn't mind seeing ox at CAM.

I 100% agree with the team AW has picked so win, lose or draw I would have done the same as him.

Keeps Fab and Koscielny in, Diaby for Ramsey and the Ox and Theo out wide.

Good team.

• Advertisement

Everton beat City 2-0 - negative side they are ahead of us in the table for now. Plus side, we win today we move back ahead of Everton and within 9 of Man City.

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Everton beat City 2-0 - negative side they are ahead of us in the table for now. Plus side, we win today we move back ahead of Everton and within 9 of Man City.

Catching City is a bit pie-in-the-sky.
    What we have to do is get our 3 points today and treat every game as a cup final. One at a time. Getting 4th will not be easy to say the least.

What we have to do is get our 3 points today and treat every game as a cup final. One at a time. Getting 4th will not be easy to say the least.

I do agree with you and I'm not really saying we'll finish 2nd but City were never on the ball this season and now the title is all but gone especially if United beat Reading so will they give up and slip further? More they can fall away and get involved in the scrap than us finishing 2nd if that makes sense in any way? :o

I have a feeling that quite like last season, our season will end up looking a lot better than it felt when we see the table come the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Would have said the same about Chelsea a few weeks ago. It's not impossible that City get dragged back and involved also.

• Advertisement

We are not showing much urgency so far today. Could be behind already although Ox was in hard luck.

Back to the high line I see. Still not sure whether it was actually a change in tactics vs Munich or the result of having no possession.

Have an awful pessimistic feeling about this match the longer it goes on with us goalless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

AdamD wrote: »
    I have a feeling that quite like last season, our season will end up looking a lot better than it felt when we see the table come the end of the season.

I think Tim Stillman sums our season up best with the following; "Scraping 4th upgrades the campaign from “severely disappointing” to merely “forgettable.”"

Regardless of where we finish, I just can't wait to see the back of this season!

Dismal performance so far. Playing like it's a friendly. Wenger needs to make changes urgently. No drive from midfield.

Bit toothless in attack so far.

Wenger taking too long with subs again.

AdamD wrote: »
    Wenger taking too long with subs again.

Probably needs to check with the Board first.:D

Nil all written all over this. Not good enough. Poor performance.

NACHO.

Routledge can **** off btw, you could tell the second he got the ball that he was looking for a free kick. Referee wasn't bought into it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement