Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

I reckon we will flog verm in the summer
    TheGunns wrote: »
    And people will call us a selling club for doing so :rolleyes:
    I dont think so. Its different than Nasri, Fab, RVP etc

Dropping and selling an under performing captain who should be in his prime will send a message that below par performances will not be tolerated.
    I agree with you, but other fans/media will reinforce a stupid point that they're trying to make

Id agree with both sides of this argument. Its a sort of 'damned if you do and damned if you dont' situation. Gael Clichy was playing rubbish stuff in his last season for us and Wenger had every justification to flog him but of course the media use him as one of the many fireballs to throw at us.

I still have no regret about flogging Clichy. Cant help feeling though that Verm might have a bit more to offer. A break might help him refocus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Galvasean wrote: »
    You'd be lucky to get 5 million for Verm TBH.

Nah he's still got a good rep with a lot of people I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Id agree with both sides of this argument. Its a sort of 'damned if you do and damned if you dont' situation. Gael Clichy was playing rubbish stuff in his last season for us and Wenger had every justification to flog him but of course the media use him as one of the many fireballs to throw at us.

I still have no regret about flogging Clichy. Cant help feeling though that Verm might have a bit more to offer. A break might help him refocus

Well if you look at Clichy now, nes not getting many games. All of them that went to City probably wish they hadn't. Most of their careers are going down the tubes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,475 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yahoo Berbatov scores He he

F the last man standing.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ya gotta love it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Spurs. They are consistent you have to give them that :cool:

Unbelievable save by Schwarzer there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Unbelievable save by Schwarzer there!
    absolutely brilliant!!!
    Still many points to be lost at the top of the table (us included, I guess).

Full time, Fulham win! Berba, legend. Senderos also doing his part for us :pac:

[edit] 4 points off with a game in hand now.

Implosion at WHL :D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Whats that noise? Its the wheels coming off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Could somebody pop into the spurs thread and bring back them lads that were in here last week

I'd like to chat to them

Thank you xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

What a difference two games make!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Best thing about spurs losing today was it wasn't one I would have expected them to lose when trying to add up the points. That was one of the easiest games of their run in. At home and against Fulham who are in no danger of relegation and no chance of Europe!

Happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I posted in there thats the thursday cup course lads , and then left no bitterness or anything just happy to see them fall over again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQo5X--307qr-qIfKuvOHZR1nU2GxUmz-k9V3w5rJ51G6EHQcQI

Could somebody pop into the spurs thread and bring back them lads that were in here last week

I'd like to chat to them

Thank you xx

Probably off hiding in their lair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Probably off hiding in their lair.
    I got a PM off one but there account is now setup to not receive PMs

just had a look at the next few games.
    Spurs' next four games are: Swansea away, Everton home, Chelsea away and Man City home.

(plus two Europa League games in between???)

• Advertisement

Stick up Gibbs left wing higher up the field and link up with Monreal what ye think of that ?

Gibbs offers as much on the wing as Ox or Walcott tbf to him. Brilliant at getting forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

The Europa league is really starting to affect them. Lets hope they make the final ;)

:D:D:D:D:D:D

large-17.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Just looked at the Spurs run in much more difficult. I'd make Arsenal favs for that 4th spot now

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Shane St. wrote: »
    Just looked at the Spurs run in much more difficult. I'd make Arsenal favs for that 4th spot now

I'm quietly optimistic we'll be having third again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Had we beaten spurs, we'd be one behind with a game in hand and a much better run in. Not going to complain too much though. Third is up for grabs and second could end up being up for grabs too. Never thought I'd be happy with United running away with it but them doing so seems to have had an effect on Chelsea and City who must know they cant catch them and have slipped up a lot more than if they had been in title contention. I'll still take fourth. Anything more is a bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Had we beaten spurs, we'd be one behind with a game in hand and a much better run in. Not going to complain too much though. Third is up for grabs and second could end up being up for grabs too. Never thought I'd be happy with United running away with it but them doing so seems to have had an effect on Chelsea and City who must know they cant catch them and have slipped up a lot more than if they had been in title contention. I'll still take fourth. Anything more is a bonus.

We would be actually two points ahead. Id say third is the best we can hope for, Chelsea putting the gap back to 5 between us and them though.

3rd is still achievable and its 9 points off 2nd? We can dream lads :P
    This could either be a very good season or a very bad one, still all up in the air although Im pretty confident now

As much as I love Szczesny and think he will be top class, can't help but think Fabianski is the reason the back 4 look solid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

3rd is still achievable and its 9 points off 2nd? We can dream lads :P
    This could either be a very good season or a very bad one, still all up in the air although Im pretty confident now

As much as I love Szczesny and think he will be top class, can't help but think Fabianski is the reason the back 4 look solid.

Regardless of the outcome, this season and last season were transitional ones. We've brought in, or brought through, practically the squad and let go all of our best players.

Hopefully it won't cost us long term in that we secure CL place and find it easier to recruit and build on whatever kind of start this is - it does feel like a new start though.

You can't fail to mention Fergie here. He manages to refresh and update the team continually without any real loss of competitiveness. I realise that budget & squad size comes into it, i.e. we got Caz who has to play all the time, they got Kagawa who gets a season to settle in. But in fairness, he kind of created that for himself.

While this lump of bile is stuck in my throat, I may as well go on to say that RVP deserves the league this year and a big part of me is happy for him. He handled the leaving thing terribly, but there probably isn't a brilliant way to handle it (although he did mess up). Nevertheless, we handled him pretty badly in making him the start and end of our all of our trophy hopes. It's come to mind during the last few weeks when he's been a bit off form that Utd are still keeping clean sheets and someone else is scoring the necessary goals. Since the invincibles, we've placed huge pressure on our top players, i.e. Fab and RVP, by surrounding them with a team that needs a bit of carrying, rather than surrounding them with a team that will do some of the carrying from time to time. You can't win things with a single player and RVP deserves to be able to go through a goal drought after 2/3 remarkable seasons without it costing him a league winners medal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Highly doubt we'll catch Chelsea, but Tottenham have let us right back into it. Some of their fans were very quick to rub salt in our wounds on this thread two weeks ago, their obsession with us looks as though it may be their downfall yet again.

"Hurray! We beat them! Once I've finished pre-ordering the dvd of our victory that sealed the power-shift I'll pop on to the Arsenal thread and rub their noses in it!"

"Job done, we beat them, 7 points clear of them now."

Job not done lads, long way to go yet. It gives me great encouragement to see signs that they haven't learned their lesson from last season (and 2005-06), the time for celebrating and gloating is at the end of the 38th game. Not March as you have done for the last two seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

jordainius wrote: »
    Highly doubt we'll catch Chelsea, but Tottenham have let us right back into it. Some of their fans were very quick to rub salt in our wounds on this thread two weeks ago, their obsession with us looks as though it may be their downfall yet again.

"Hurray! We beat them! Once I've finished pre-ordering the dvd of our victory that sealed the power-shift I'll pop on to the Arsenal thread and rub their noses in it!"

"Job done, we beat them, 7 points clear of them now."

Job not done lads, long way to go yet. It gives me great encouragement to see signs that they haven't learned their lesson from last season (and 2005-06), the time for celebrating and gloating is at the end of the 38th game. Not March as you have done for the last two seasons.

Spurs fans who did this were silly as far as I am concerned, yes it was great to beat ye and we were entitled to a little celebration but there is a long way to go and I knew it was far from done. The same should be said of Arsenal fans who now think that they will catch us and pass us out, there are many points to be dropped and gained in the run in IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Spurs fans who did this were silly as far as I am concerned, yes it was great to beat ye and we were entitled to a little celebration but there is a long way to go and I knew it was far from done. The same should be said of Arsenal fans who now think that they will catch us and pass us out, there are many points to be dropped and gained in the run in IMO.

Indeed, we need to win our game in hand to make the Spurs loss significant, until we do that its just pure speculation and us penciling in 3 points that we have not won yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Personally I was really hoping that West Ham would have gotten a result against Chelsea today and we would have a chance of catching them. In reality any team from Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal and Everton are in the fight for 3rd and 4th and it is going to go down to the last game of the season.

gandalf wrote: »
    Personally I was really hoping that West Ham would have gotten a result against Chelsea today and we would have a chance of catching them. In reality any team from Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal and Everton are in the fight for 3rd and 4th and it is going to go down to the last game of the season.

Everton has difficult away games until the end of the season: us, Tottenham, Liverpool and Chelsea. In these games they make it or break it.
    Chelsea also has a couple of difficult aways (Liverpool and Man Utd). I'd say it would be rather difficult to catch them (unless we go on a roll until the end of the year). We'd mostly rely on how unreliable they are too.
    I guess draws in some of these games (between the rivals for 3rd-4th) wouldn't harm either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Problem Spurs have is a very unbalanced squad and thats why we falter at this point every season. Our game relies on pacey wingers and with Lennon injured and Bale playing through the center there is no width. Sigurdson, Holtby and Dempsey cant play wide and Defoe and and Adebayor have been shocking. No natural Modric replacement (Dembele isnt a playmaker) and Sandro being injured have been massive blows in terms of how we use the ball when in possession. It was bound to catch up with Spurs at some point and now it has.

We looked devoid of ideas yesterday.. it was too easy for Fulham to soak up our pressure. Maybe the international break will help us regroup but I'm not hopeful. We have a tough run in and we had to beat Fulham otherwise we have to beat City and Chelsea which doesnt look likely. Everton are missing Fellani and Peinaar for our game so thats at least something but its going to be very tight. Doing the predictor though I have Spurs missing out again unfortunately. And to be fair I think most fans have not got too carried away this season after the mind the gap fiasco last season.. it aint over till its over and if any team knows what its like to lose at the last hurdle its Spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Jack out for six weeks apparently - it never is just 3 weeks!!!

Cazorla probably plays better when Jack isn't in the team anyway. Not saying that Jack being out is a bad thing but no point moaning about it, Cazorla is a top player and he should command that midfield till the end of the season.

I doubt we'll see Jack again this season.
    With regards injuries Wenger and Co. couldn't lie straight in bed. They always play it down. We should be able to cope though.

If this is true then what were we doing all along?
    You would think they would have thought of this years ago FFS.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/9936052/Arsenal-defenders-studied-video-after-Tottenham-defeat-and-performances-in-Munich-and-Swansea-show-bene

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Jack out for six weeks apparently - it never is just 3 weeks!!!

Cazorla probably plays better when Jack isn't in the team anyway. Not saying that Jack being out is a bad thing but no point moaning about it, Cazorla is a top player and he should command that midfield till the end of the season.

Never a good time to lose someone of his quality but if it had to happen, you couldnt really pick a better run of games for him to be missing.

Unless United have the league wrapped up and arent bothered (highly unlikely against us) we can probably write that game off. Everton is the other tough game, the rest we should manage without him. Provided nothing happens to Cazorla we'll manage.

Big chance for Diaby and Rosicky now to show their worth as I can see Wenger finally having enough and shipping out the underperformers in the summer.

I would rest jack up for the rest of the season
    Lets not flog him to death

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I would rest jack up for the rest of the season
    Lets not flog him to death

Yup agreed, no point risking him. And Santi gets to play in his best position then! and this will give us more width with Podli or Ox on the left.

• Advertisement

Rest him to a degree, if hes back with games to go then let him play part of them just not the full game. I personally prefer Santi out wide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Free role suits Santi best IMO. Let him play wherever he wants.

So, is there away Spurs and Chelsea can both lose when they play each other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The club is insisting that Jack will be in contention for the Reading game. We'll see

Garth Crooks, what a pundit.

http://i.imgur.com/FAih2f2.jpg

Garth Crooks, what a pundit.

http://i.imgur.com/FAih2f2.jpg

It was good of Nacho to psychically channel his skills into Kieran Gibbs during the game in Munich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Galvasean wrote: »
    So, is there away Spurs and Chelsea can both lose when they play each other?

If five players from each team get sent off, the match will be abandoned. Each team must have at least 7 players on the pitch.

If five players from each team get sent off, the match will be abandoned. Each team must have at least 7 players on the pitch.
    Can we not just send them some dodgy pasta? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Sorry been away on a stags weekend but did get to see Messi and Fabregas play :).

Now back to Arsenal related stuff, so how did we play against Swansea?

Just seen a post someone saying rest Jack up for the season, all well and good in theory but we still have a lot to play for and we all know if we mssed out on fourth and had we rested Wilshere there would be hell to pay.

• Advertisement

Sorry been away on a stags weekend but did get to see Messi and Fabregas play :).

Now back to Arsenal related stuff, so how did we play against Swansea?

Just seen a post someone saying rest Jack up for the season, all well and good in theory but we still have a lot to play for and we all know if we mssed out on fourth and had we rested Wilshere there would be hell to pay.

He is what 20 just back from a potentially career threatening injury
    Now his other ankle looks to be going the same way

Rest him up we got 3rd last year without him we got two very good results without him too. Lets think of his career

Would rather see jack for the next ten years than see him play champions league next year then fooked within a couple of years

I think we more than capable of getting it without him too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement