Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

He is what 20 just back from a potentially career threatening injury
    Now his other ankle looks to be going the same way

Rest him up we got 3rd last year without him we got two very good results without him too. Lets think of his career

Would rather see jack for the next ten years than see him play champions league next year then fooked within a couple of years

I think we more than capable of getting it without him too

We had a certain Dutchman who couldnt stop scoring then though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

keano_afc wrote: »

We had a certain Dutchman who couldnt stop scoring then though.

I have blanked him from all memory an arsenal history lets keep it that way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

He is what 20 just back from a potentially career threatening injury
    Now his other ankle looks to be going the same way

Rest him up we got 3rd last year without him we got two very good results without him too. Lets think of his career

Would rather see jack for the next ten years than see him play champions league next year then fooked within a couple of years

I think we more than capable of getting it without him too

While I do agree with you mostly, we all know that if we don't get 4th and he had been cleared fit yet not played any part in it, there would be murder plus always those doubts about what would have been.

My own personal opinion is if fit you should always play your best players when fit, if were worried about burn out give he has the summer to rest up and Wenger has the summer to make the squad strong enough that maybe we can afford to rest him at times in the new season.

He is 21 ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,475 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I hope Jack does not become yet another player that we will always have to wrap in cotton-wool. We have enough of them with Diaby and Gibbs already.

I'd give Jack the whole of next season to see how he shapes and if he and any of the other 2 above are still crocked for half the season then i'd have to be callous and ship them out replacing them with fully fit players we can use regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I hope Jack does not become yet another player that we will always have to wrap in cotton-wool. We have enough of them with Diaby and Gibbs already.

I'd give Jack the whole of next season to see how he shapes and if he and any of the other 2 above are still crocked for half the season then i'd have to be callous and ship them out replacing them with fully fit players we can use regularly.
    If he was out for the hole of next season I still wouldn't consider shipping out, he is way to young to be that callous

• Advertisement

Soups123 wrote: »
    If he was out for the hole of next season I still wouldn't consider shipping out, he is way to young to be that callous

I have a great time for Jack and think he could be an Arsenal legend but if he is crocked on a regular basis then we would have to replace.
    I've already said to give him all of next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I have a great time for Jack and think he could be an Arsenal legend but if he is crocked on a regular basis then we would have to replace.
    I would go long beyond next season he is so young and his body should develop, I would rather him for half a season than not at all but hopefully he'll be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Thats generous of you. Do it now or we'll ship a potential future captain out five years before his prime? No disrespect but cop on.

So just read Wenger earns 1.9 million more than Alex Ferguson annually one really does have to wonder sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So just read Wenger earns 1.9 million more than Alex Ferguson annually one really does have to wonder sometimes.

I think Wenger is the 7th highest paid manager in the World. I think Fergie is underpaid if anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

and worth every penny of it if you ask me!

Oranage2 wrote: »
    and worth every penny of it if you ask me!

I'm not sure to be honest I think Wenger has done great things at Arsenal but does he really warrant being the highest paid manager in the EPL?

Fcuk we cant pay our best players high enough wages to keep them but yet we can afford to pay our manager who hasn't won a trophy in a long time better than any manager in the league, if anything its points once again at how stupid our wage system is.

I'm not sure to be honest I think Wenger has done great things at Arsenal but does he really warrant being the highest paid manager in the EPL?

Fcuk we cant pay our best players high enough wages to keep them but yet we can afford to pay our manager who hasn't won a trophy in a long time better than any manager in the league, if anything its points once again at how stupid our wage system is.

Dalglish was the highest paid manager in the EPL last year :eek:

greendom wrote: »
    Dalglish was the highest paid manager in the EPL last year :eek:

That was only due to him being sacked and his pay off not due to his wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

That was only due to him being sacked and his pay off not due to his wage.
    If that's the case I'm surprised it wasn't AVB!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Wolf Club wrote: »
    If that's the case I'm surprised it wasn't AVB!

I think the payoff disapears, or at least lessens if they get a new job before the old contract was to run out. In AVB's case the Spurs job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/mar/20/wojciech-szczesny-father-arsenal

Don't like this - Chesney is a grown man, Daddy shouldn't be speaking about this. I don't think Wenger or anyone else is trying to make him a scapegoat - we have Ramsey and Gervinho for that :rolleyes: - he wasn't playing well enough, and as with Vermaelen, someone else is getting a chance and taking it. This is how it should work. Injuries or not, not good enough regularly enough, go warm the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Maire2009 wrote: »

Don't like this - Chesney is a grown man, Daddy shouldn't be speaking about this. I don't think Wenger or anyone else is trying to make him a scapegoat - we have Ramsey and Gervinho for that :rolleyes: - he wasn't playing well enough, and as with Vermaelen, someone else is getting a chance and taking it. This is how it should work. Injuries or not, not good enough regularly enough, go warm the bench.

Think his da needs to realise his son has been playing crap for most of the season. Sunderland game is the only one he's made a few decent saves in. I like ches but he needs to get the head down and work. He's not well liked in Poland because people think he is overly confident and they are right. Easy to see why he is that way when his father is making excuses like this for him.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Thats generous of you. Do it now or we'll ship a potential future captain out five years before his prime? No disrespect but cop on.

Cop on yourself.
    We minded RVP for years for the same reason and where is he now?
    He only completed one full season although his goals got us 4th.
    Some posters used to stick up pictures of him as a kid in his Arsenal gear yet would curse after mentioning his name now.
    Again I think Jack is a great player but if he were to be out for the whole of next season after missing the whole of 2010/12 then it is good business to sell.
    Many posters wanted Diaby sold for the same reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Where has the idea of him being out for the whole of next season even come from....
    All reports have him back for the Reading game

• Advertisement

Cop on yourself.
    Some posters used to stick up pictures of him as a kid in his Arsenal gear yet would curse after mentioning his name now.
    Again I think Jack is a great player but if he were to be out for the whole of next season after missing the whole of 2010/12 then it is good business to sell.

I'm not so sure Jack will have as many problems as Diaby. To be very honest, Jack has played a lot more this season than I thought he would. If his problems persist like on the level of Diaby's it might be something to look at unless we can afford to keep him on the books. What I mean by that is at the moment we have excess players on our books that we can't afford cos they are preventing others coming in.

AdamD wrote: »
    Where has the idea of him being out for the whole of next season even come from....
    All reports have him back for the Reading game

It was discussed on several blogs but I saw it here. It was quickly denied by the club. I think people are just surmising what will happen if it was actually true which I really hope is not.
    http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/198319.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

greendom wrote: »
    I think Fergie is underpaid if anything.

This. As much as I hate the man, he deserves every penny he gets. If he were to leave United he could name his price and there would be no shortage of clubs willing to meet it and even go higher. He is too soft on United in that regard.

Cop on yourself.

Who?

Who?

Loads if you care to trawl back. I haven't the inclination but I think Diaby will still be a hit at Arsenal.

Loads if you care to trawl back. I haven't the inclination but I think Diaby will still be a hit at Arsenal.

Some guy scored loads for us last season? Never heard of him.

Diaby is exactly what we've missed all season. We started well when he was in the team, perhaps a coincidence but he looked really good in the short few games he had. Diaby is an excellent natural footballer - he just shouldn't think though cos then he messes up, just do thing on instinct.

Thing is, his injury problems have persisted and Wenger has brought in nobody else of his ilk. Even in the great chance of Diaby being fit over a period of time, we play enough games a season to rotate and keep both happy enough.

Diaby is exactly what we've missed all season. We started well when he was in the team, perhaps a coincidence but he looked really good in the short few games he had. Diaby is an excellent natural footballer - he just shouldn't think though cos then he messes up, just do thing on instinct.

Thing is, his injury problems have persisted and Wenger has brought in nobody else of his ilk. Even in the great chance of Diaby being fit over a period of time, we play enough games a season to rotate and keep both happy enough.

Agree. Diaby is one of the best shielders of the ball I ever saw. Very hard to dispossess and has a great touch. His passing is usually good too. He just doesn not score enough but he might actually improve that if he stays injury free and his confidence is restored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Agree. Diaby is one of the best shielders of the ball I ever saw. Very hard to dispossess and has a great touch. His passing is usually good too. He just doesn not score enough but he might actually improve that if he stays injury free and his confidence is restored.

His bank balance alone should see to that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I fully disagree. I think Diaby is the most over rated player we've had at the club in a long time. I really don't understand how he got the contract he is currently on. I'd be glad to be rid of him to be honest. I'd certainly ship him before your ridiculous idea of getting rid of Jack which you've been banging on about for a long time now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Cavani and Jotevic in how ya fixed???????

Quazzie wrote: »
    I fully disagree. I think Diaby is the most over rated player we've had at the club in a long time. I really don't understand how he got the contract he is currently on. I'd be glad to be rid of him to be honest. I'd certainly ship him before your ridiculous idea of getting rid of Jack which you've been banging on about for a long time now.

You are talking crap. yet again.
    The talk about Jack started yesterday and in response to his injury, if it continued into the season after next. Just supposition for a bit of chat.
    Exaggerate much?

Diaby is a good player and would have shown that if he'd remained injury free.
    He may yet do.

You are talking crap. yet again.
    The talk about Jack started yesterday and in response to his injury, if it continued into the season after next. Just supposition for a bit of chat.
    Exaggerate much?

Diaby is a good player and would have shown that if he'd remained injury free.
    He may yet do.
    I'm talking crap, but you're the one talking about a reported three week injury keeping him out for a season and a half and I'm exaggerating. Does that really need a response?

As for Diaby, when people talk about how her might stay injury free it reminds me if battered wife syndrome when the battered wife is convinced he can change. Ask yourself when was the last time Diaby was available for a match and not " back" for a match. Even when he does play he isn't that great as displayed by his laughable dribble and then run of the field against Swansea. Try get him fit for the last game then ship him out over the summer.

I'm talking crap, but you're the one talking about a reported three week injury keeping him out for a season and a half and I'm exaggerating. Does that really need a response?

As for Diaby, when people talk about how her might stay injury free it reminds me if battered wife syndrome when the battered wife is convinced he can change. Ask yourself when was the last time Diaby was available for a match and not " back" for a match. Even when he does play he isn't that great as displayed by his laughable dribble and then run of the field against Swansea. Try get him fit for the last game then ship him out over the summer.

FFS can you not read.
    The 3 weeks became 6 and papers were saying he may not be back this season.
    The rest was a discussion on what would/should happen if he was even more seriously injured like he was the season before last when he was supposed to be out for a few weeks too. Remember.
    No need to get your knickers in a twist about something that was being discussed IF it happened. Nobody said it would happen. It was a discussion point and what Boards is for in case you forgot.

As for Diaby.
    I do like him and think we need him for his height and strength. He is a good player in my opinion and obviously in Wenger's as he stood by him.
    I think he will improve if he remains injury free. Same for Gibbs.

FFS can you not read.
    The 3 weeks became 6 and papers were saying he may not be back this season.
    The rest was a discussion on what would/should happen if he was even more seriously injured like he was the season before last when he was supposed to be out for a few weeks too. Remember.
    No need to get your knickers in a twist about something that was being discussed IF it happened. Nobody said it would happen. It was a discussion point and what Boards is for in case you forgot.

As for Diaby.
    I do like him and think we need him for his height and strength. He is a good player in my opinion and obviously in Wenger's as he stood by him.
    I think he will improve if he remains injury free. Same for Gibbs.

The 3 weeks turned into 5-6 weeks and then a few people got cocky with two wins in a row and suggested we don't need him for the rest of the season, and then the talk of seeking him started, not for the first time I might add. He's been out player of the year in my opinion and talk of selling him is mental from a fan.

In regards Diabys height having him every third or fourth week isn't a solution even if he's fifteen got tall. He should be sold and replaced with a proper commanding midfielder which is more in line with what we need.

• Advertisement

The 3 weeks turned into 5-6 weeks and then a few people got cocky with two wins in a row and suggested we don't need him for the rest of the season, and then the talk of seeking him started, not for the first time I might add. He's been out player of the year in my opinion and talk of selling him is mental from a fan.

In regards Diabys height having him every third or fourth week isn't a solution even if he's fifteen got tall. He should be sold and replaced with a proper commanding midfielder which is more in line with what we need.

I said he should be sold IF and WHEN he's crocked and only if he missed ALL of next season. My reason for that is that I consider a good player for a whole season is better than a great player for 7/8 games. I would feel the same about any player in that situation. However on this occasion,as I said, it's all a matter of supposition and only for discussion.

If Diaby gets crocked again I would sell him too and replace for the same reasons as above. However I hope NONE of them become crocked as we need them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

it's not as if Szcsesny's father is a bartender or something just making noise because his son isn't playing, he's giving his opinion on why he suffered a lack of form, because of playing with injuries

whatever about the scapegoat comment, i see nothing else wrong with it.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    it's not as if Szcsesny's father is a bartender or something just making noise because his son isn't playing, he's giving his opinion on why he suffered a lack of form, because of playing with injuries

I concur, his father is an ex pro goalkeeper who was also Poland's international keeper who now works on Polish television.

Of coarse he will be asked his opinion and his opinion is just as valid as any other ex pro television pundit.

I didn't get cocky just said he should be rested seen as his good ankle is going the same way as the bad ankle

How is that been cocky after two wins??

batistuta9 wrote: »

I concur, his father is an ex pro goalkeeper who was also Poland's international keeper who now works on Polish television.

Of coarse he will be asked his opinion and his opinion is just as valid as any other ex pro television pundit.

He played, what was it, 6 times for Poland? All kind of irrelevant to me to be honest. Sure in that case they should interview Squillaci's Daddy so he can explain his form anyway.

The scapegoat comment is a major problem with it. Who has blamed Szczesny for all that has gone wrong in our defense? If anything, it was Vermaelen that was shouldering the blame, I've seen more suggesting that the dropping of him to the bench in favour of a Koscielny/Mertesacker partnership was the key to our last two clean sheets in that Fabianski hasn't had much to do - I know he pulled off a couple of good saves but he hasn't had his socks worked.

And anyway, as a former international, should he not be telling his son to work to get his place back instead of making excuses for his bad form? Not cut up his son of course, but something along the lines of Szczesny is too good to be on the sub's bench and he'll prove that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

He played, what was it, 6 times for Poland? All kind of irrelevant to me to be honest. Sure in that case they should interview Squillaci's Daddy so he can explain his form anyway.

The scapegoat comment is a major problem with it. Who has blamed Szczesny for all that has gone wrong in our defense? If anything, it was Vermaelen that was shouldering the blame, I've seen more suggesting that the dropping of him to the bench in favour of a Koscielny/Mertesacker partnership was the key to our last two clean sheets in that Fabianski hasn't had much to do - I know he pulled off a couple of good saves but he hasn't had his socks worked.

And anyway, as a former international, should he not be telling his son to work to get his place back instead of making excuses for his bad form? Not cut up his son of course, but something along the lines of Szczesny is too good to be on the sub's bench and he'll prove that...

Can you not see why he was interviewed? how many times have you played for your country?
    Was squillaci's father even a footballer? - I don't think so
    you're making him out to be just some parent of a footballer that was interview when their son was dropped, he isn't, he's a former footballer himself - hence being interviewed & in interviews you get questioned and provide answers
    No different to Frank Lampard Snr. being interviewed, questioned about Frank Jnr. and saying he thinks he deserves a new contract at chelsea

Dropping a keeper is a sign that they've fúcked up in some way, more so than any other position on the pitch, that's where he's getting scapegoat from i'd think

you can say sure isn't Vermaelen captain him being dropped is bigger, well i think that Wenger like most others outside england don't really give a shít about the captaincy - how many times does he saying something like captains/leaders all over the pitch.
    But he's smart enough to know the importance made out of it by the media & when to give it to players who may be looking elsewhere to show them how important they're to/at the club

i wouldn't get too carried away with the two clean sheets - see the highlights on MOTD and there were some of the usual stuff going on, but whatever that's not the point here.

What is wrong exactly with him giving a reason - what you call an excuse - for his lack of form.
    what he actually said was interesting - him playing while not 100% fit, but sure ignore that fact, can't have anyone badmouthing Arsenal or Wenger practices now can we

and he did back him to get his place back
    Szczesny Sr is confident his son will soon establish himself as the Arsenal No1 again. "This last period has not been successful for Wojciech, the fact that Arsène Wenger did not take him to Munich shows something," he added.

"However, I think my son can be the No1 keeper over 10 years, he just needs to come back to form and then a situation where we can stop to wonder who will stand between the posts."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Diaby gets injured by simply kicking the ball. The guy is a crock, its never going to change. Point to RvP if you want but his injuries were mainly contact, not muscular. There's no way Diaby should be getting a gme with us.

On another note, I was reading some of Tim stilmans tweets from the u21 game last night, and he reckons eisfield won't make it at arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I have high hopes for Eisfeld i must say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

On another note, I was reading some of Tim stilmans tweets from the u21 game last night, and he reckons eisfield won't make it at arsenal

That's a shame, thought he looked great in pre-season and again in that League Cup match vs Reading. Hopefully it's just a minor blip in his case.
    Only person that seems to be making any noises in the U21s is Gnabry it seems.

dvemail wrote: »
    That's a shame, thought he looked great in pre-season and again in that League Cup match vs Reading. Hopefully it's just a minor blip in his case.
    Only person that seems to be making any noises in the U21s is Gnabry it seems.

Bellerin seems highly rated too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Have to say I'm a big Diaby fan but we have a lot of midfielders and we dont really have the luxury of being able to carry a very injury prone one.

Out of our centre mids

Santi
    Diaby
    Rosicky
    Ramsey
    Wilshere
    Arteta

2 manage to play about 10 games a season, Wilshere too might even be considered injury prone too.

Ramsey although he gives it all imo is not good enough to be automatic starter like he is now thoughis good enough to be a squad player, and arteta i like but we do need better and a DM which arteta isnt really. Plus we have Denilson to come back a 2-3 youth players on the fringes.

We should really get rid of 2 of those mids and get one world class player in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Have to say I'm a big Diaby fan but we have a lot of midfielders and we dont really have the luxury of being able to carry a very injury prone one.

Out of our centre mids

Santi
    Diaby
    Rosicky
    Ramsey
    Wilshere
    Arteta

2 manage to play about 10 games a season, Wilshere too might even be considered injury prone too.

Ramsey although he gives it all imo is not good enough to be automatic starter like he is now thoughis good enough to be a squad player, and arteta i like but we do need better and a DM which arteta isnt really. Plus we have Denilson to come back a 2-3 youth players on the fringes.

We should really get rid of 2 of those mids and get one world class player in.

One big physical player in. Diaby is the strongest of our midfield and I see him muscled off the ball at least three times per game. There is no balance playing Arteta,Wilshere and Cazorla, all similar and too small. Arteta is doing a fine job playing out of position but he isnt a DM, I'm going to keep saying this until he is not available but I hope we sign Capoue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Is Frimpong off so?

keano_afc wrote: »
    Diaby gets injured by simply kicking the ball. The guy is a crock, its never going to change. Point to RvP if you want but his injuries were mainly contact, not muscular. There's no way Diaby should be getting a gme with us.

It it's all about opinions.
    I disagree with yours. If he gets a run injury free he could be immense. If he doesn't then he should be sold. Same for any of them.
    Nobody is bigger than the club. Not even jack.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement