Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

It it's all about opinions.
    I disagree with yours. If he gets a run injury free he could be immense. If he doesn't then he should be sold. Same for any of them.
    Nobody is bigger than the club. Not even jack.

How long do we give Diaby? Keep throwing contracts at him in the hope he can kick a ball and not go missing for 3 months? He's been a crock for 7 years. Since he broke his ankle he hasnt put together any sort of run of games. He should not be given another contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I disagree with yours. If he gets a run injury free he could be immense. If he doesn't then he should be sold. Same for any of them.
    If my Aunty had balls she'd be my Uncle. Waiting for Diaby to suddenly become injury free isn't going to happen and some people need to come to terms with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,476 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Quazzie wrote: »
    If my Aunty had balls she'd be my Uncle. Waiting for Diaby to suddenly become injury free isn't going to happen and some people need to come to terms with that.

So you had two uncles then :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

but. . .isn't that becoming a very big if??? I agree with you that he is a good player, not sure how much we can hope at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Raf32 wrote: »

What a man. I know I have been harsh on him at times this season but this instills me with confidence that if he can get his head down and work hard he can become our long term no.1.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    but. . .isn't that becoming a very big if??? I agree with you that he is a good player, not sure how much we can hope at this stage.

Me either BUT Wenger seems to have faith in him to hold onto him for so long.
    If he or Gibbs misses a lot of next season through further injury I would ship them out and replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Can you not see why he was interviewed? how many times have you played for your country?
    Was squillaci's father even a footballer? - I don't think so
    you're making him out to be just some parent of a footballer that was interview when their son was dropped, he isn't, he's a former footballer himself - hence being interviewed & in interviews you get questioned and provide answers
    No different to Frank Lampard Snr. being interviewed, questioned about Frank Jnr. and saying he thinks he deserves a new contract at chelsea

Dropping a keeper is a sign that they've fúcked up in some way, more so than any other position on the pitch, that's where he's getting scapegoat from i'd think

you can say sure isn't Vermaelen captain him being dropped is bigger, well i think that Wenger like most others outside england don't really give a shít about the captaincy - how many times does he saying something like captains/leaders all over the pitch.
    But he's smart enough to know the importance made out of it by the media & when to give it to players who may be looking elsewhere to show them how important they're to/at the club

i wouldn't get too carried away with the two clean sheets - see the highlights on MOTD and there were some of the usual stuff going on, but whatever that's not the point here.

What is wrong exactly with him giving a reason - what you call an excuse - for his lack of form.
    what he actually said was interesting - him playing while not 100% fit, but sure ignore that fact, can't have anyone badmouthing Arsenal or Wenger practices now can we

and he did back him to get his place back

I just think these types of things should be kept inhouse - to a point, I know sometimes things have to be said but I don't think these was one of those times -it's nothing about not badmouthing Arsenal or Wenger.

Szczesny is out of form and that happens. I'm a big fan of the guy and do think he will be our number one for years to come but at times he seems over confident.

As for how often have I played for my country? Irrelevant. How often has Roy Keane played for Ireland? Still doesn't stop him talking an immense amount of b0llix. Lot of other players are the same.

Obviously I'm in the minority but I am entitled to my opinion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Maire2009 wrote: »
    I just think these types of things should be kept inhouse - to a point, I know sometimes things have to be said but I don't think these was one of those times -it's nothing about not badmouthing Arsenal or Wenger.

Szczesny is out of form and that happens. I'm a big fan of the guy and do think he will be our number one for years to come but at times he seems over confident.

As for how often have I played for my country? Irrelevant. How often has Roy Keane played for Ireland? Still doesn't stop him talking an immense amount of b0llix. Lot of other players are the same.

Obviously I'm in the minority but I am entitled to my opinion!

How could it have been kept inhouse if the person being interviewed isn't part of the house?

It was Szczesny's father that gave the interview not Szczesny, who now has done all he can to distance himself from the comments

but he was being interview because he's an ex pro who's son is now a pro, it's not like he's someone unknown to the Polish media/people.
    That doesn't make what he says any more important than anyone else but it's not like as i said some random parent of a footballer - shouting his mouth off & it being picked up by media. He's in a position to be interviewed in the first place by national media - if you get me

& Roy Keane speakath the truth :pac:

nobody's saying you're not entitled to an opinion or even in a minority

• Advertisement

How could it have been kept inhouse if the person being interviewed isn't part of the house?

It was Szczesny's father that gave the interview not Szczesny, who now has done all he can to distance himself from the comments

but he was being interview because he's an ex pro who's son is now a pro, it's not like he's someone unknown to the Polish media/people.
    That doesn't make what he says any more important than anyone else but it's not like as i said some random parent of a footballer - shouting his mouth off & it being picked up by media. He's in a position to be interviewed in the first place by national media - if you get me

& Roy Keane speakath the truth :pac:

nobody's saying you're not entitled to an opinion or even in a minority

Ah yeah I do get where you're coming from and I know it was off the cuff, not like he read out a statement or was ranting in a pub.

Aside from all that, hope we get no injuries over the international week. I'll watch Ireland as always but ... jeez ... yeah, might be painful :o Might switch over to see a few of the Gooners play.

Ah yeah I do get where you're coming from and I know it was off the cuff, not like he read out a statement or was ranting in a pub.

Aside from all that, hope we get no injuries over the international week. I'll watch Ireland as always but ... jeez ... yeah, might be painful :o Might switch over to see a few of the Gooners play.

anyway Maire you're honeymoney period in here is over

time for pics or GTFO :pac:

anyway Maire you're honeymoney period in here is over

time for pics or GTFO :pac:

Will a picture of my lower back do? :P

36008_1150814826116_6528170_n.jpg

Lauren Etame Mayer ‏@Lauren12arsenal 16m
    I bet villa scores 2goals tonight he is the striker that we need, a defensive midfielder and a central back with authority to command.
    He is making some great points, everyone sees we need a new spine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Lauren Etame Mayer ‏@Lauren12arsenal 16m
    I bet villa scores 2goals tonight he is the striker that we need, a defensive midfielder and a central back with authority to command.
    He is making some great points, everyone sees we need a new spine.

Sorry, but since when has stating the obvious been considered making "great points"?! I'm not convinced that's a real twitter account (even if its verified!), the fact that it says "My real Twitter!!!" also gives me cause for skepticism!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Man i miss ralph, he took crap from noone even his own captain.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Could do with him in midfield now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Walcott injured, Groin problem

Good night for arsenal players. Vermaelen, The Ox and Giroud have scored. Cazorla nice performance for Spain even Serge Gnabry scored twice for Germany u18's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Tottenham hotspur off injured at half time for Wales.

Wales best player Ramsey just scored :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Wales best player Ramsey just scored :pac:

Famous people everywhere are shaking in their boots :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Haha quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

you know what, chippy may well be an Arsenal legend but he is one sickening f er to listen to and look at on rte

wonga77 wrote: »
    you know what, chippy may well be an Arsenal legend but he is one sickening f er to listen to and look at on rte

He is actually the only one I listen to. Dunphy is a joke and Giles couldnt argue over anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

iMuse wrote: »
    Walcott injured, Groin problem

Slight tear in a pelvic muscle - hopefully no more than a couple of weeks out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Chinua Achebe was the unlucky person this time

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/africa/colossus-of-african-writing-chinua-achebe-dies-82-29149346.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

lertsnim wrote: »

Oh, darn, not that guy. Anybody but him.

Was just comparing the invincibles to Uniteds team now since they are running away with the league. Only Vidic would get in our team now I think. Lehmann in goals, the invincibles midfield, and Henry and Bergkamp > Rooney and Van Persie. Sadly shows how far we have dropped off.

Was just comparing the invincibles to Uniteds team now since they are running away with the league. Only Vidic would get in our team now I think. Lehmann in goals, the invincibles midfield, and Henry and Bergkamp > Rooney and Van Persie. Sadly shows how far we have dropped off.

I know exactly where you are coming from but has a club team in England ever come close to the Invincibles? In particular in midfield and up front. It was mouth-watering.

But yeah, I do make myself tear up a little when I watch clips from that era and you hear "Vieira to Ljunberg, Ljunberg to Pires, Pires to Bergkamp, Bergkamp to HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENRY" - all from one end of the pitch to the other in the blink of an eye :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I know exactly where you are coming from but has a club team in England ever come close to the Invincibles? In particular in midfield and up front. It was mouth-watering.

Thats what I was going to ask. How many of the United treble winning side would have even gotten in as a first 11 player? Plently would make the match day squad but a starting 11 is another matter.

• Advertisement

Gary Neville reckons Arsenal of '98 were the best team he's played against domestically, then i think he said Chelsea of '05/06.

I think this was when asked about the Invincible's, he said they were good & what they done was good but there was better teams.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Thats what I was going to ask. How many of the United treble winning side would have even gotten in as a first 11 player? Plently would make the match day squad but a starting 11 is another matter.

Schmeical, G.Neville, Stam, Keane

arguably Giggs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Gary Neville reckons Arsenal of '98 were the best team he's played against domestically, then i think he said Chelsea of '05/06.

I think this was when asked about the Invincible's, he said they were good & what they done was good but there was better teams.

Decided to Google "Arsenal of '98" and found this:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxjd5s_season-review-arsenal-97-98-1_sport#.UU8_0cqvM4Q

Haven't watched it yet, but it looks good.

arguably Giggs

Keane over Vieira. No thanks. Also I'd have Pires over Giggs.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Keane over Vieira. No thanks. Also I'd have Pires over Giggs.

Keane over gilberto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Setanta Ireland 630.

Keane over gilberto

A Keane Vieira midfield would never work. Two strong personalities that would clash too often IMO. Gilberto was the perfect partner for Vieira as he just done the dirty work and let Vieira take the praise

i'd be giving them a go together anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

arguably Giggs

Schmeichal

Neville/Lauren Campbell/Toure Stam Cole

Ljungberg Keane Vieria Pires

Henry Bergkamp

With the likes of Lehmann, Gilberto, Edu, Parlour, Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Andy Cole, Yorke and more to be condensed into a five man bench? Good luck to you :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Nice and interesting video on Ian Wright. I know these days he tends to grate a lot of people but for me he was the first player I idolised in an Arsenal shirt when I pull out all my old jerseys it his name with number 8 below it on every single one. Whatever about Henry and Bergkamp for me this man deserves a statue just as much as them.

Nice and interesting video on Ian Wright. I know these days he tends to grate a lot of people but for me he was the first player I idolised in an Arsenal shirt when I pull out all my old jerseys it his name with number 8 below it on every single one. Whatever about Henry and Bergkamp for me this man deserves a statue just as much as them.

He's actually the very reason I support the club. When I was 8 I was an AC Milan fan - Paolo Maldini is my favourite football player ever - cos remember they used to show that highlight show on RTE? Well it was them I followed.

Anyways, when I was 8 at school all the fellas were like "you have to support an English team" and I gave in to peer pressure somewhat but knew it wouldn't be Liverpool or Manchester United, and at 8, for whatever reason it was, I don't know, Ian Wright may be follow Arsenal.

No-one in my immediate family supports Arsenal so it's not like it's handed down or anything like that. I just started making comments in school how I really liked Ian Wright - it might well just have been how happy he was after scoring - and it stuck and people said I was an Arsenal fan. As it was, got my first Arsenal shirt the Christmas after Bergkamp and Platt signed and I got a name on the back ... it wasn't Bergkamp :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Picking a starting 11 between all the good arsenal teams is easy

Ramsey
    Ramsey Ramsey Ramsey Ramsey
    Ramsey Ramsey Ramesh Ramsey
    Ramsey Ramsey

Ye all no that's who I would pick :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Frimpong made his debut for Ghana

Anyone know if any of our players remained injury free during the Internationals?
    Can't find any team news at all.
    We need a good strong squad for the remaining fixtures.
    Hate these International breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Anyone know if any of our players remained injury free during the Internationals?
    Can't find any team news at all.
    We need a good strong squad for the remaining fixtures.
    Hate these International breaks.

They have match reports for the players international games on arsenal.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Ian wright was the reason i started supporting Arsenal too!

Number 8 will always be a Ian Wright Shirt!

Ian wright was the reason i started supporting Arsenal too!

Number 8 will always be a Ian Wright Shirt!

In my first full season supporting Arsenal and living in London I had the luxury of watching wee Georgie Armstrong dribble up the wing, George Graham and Charlie George dazzle the opposition. Our goals mainly came from Ray Kennedy and John Radford. Peter "Cold Eyes" Storey took the penalties. I often saw Frank Mc Lintock (Capt) give a dressing down to players on the pitch something you rarely see now.
    I played in goal as a young lad and my reason for supporting Arsenal was my hero, Bob Wilson, who was a genius. He had brilliant protection from the backs too of course. The fact that my brother lived only a few hundred yards from Highbury was an influencing factor too. You could just turn up and buy your ticket at the gate then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

In my first full season supporting Arsenal and living in London I had the luxury of watching wee Georgie Armstrong dribble up the wing, George Graham and Charlie George dazzle the opposition. Our goals mainly came from Ray Kennedy and John Radford. Peter "Cold Eyes" Storey took the penalties. I often saw Frank Mc Lintock (Capt) give a dressing down to players on the pitch something you rarely see now.
    I played in goal as a young lad and my reason for supporting Arsenal was my hero, Bob Wilson, who was a genius. He had brilliant protection from the backs too of course. The fact that my brother lived only a few hundred yards from Highbury was an influencing factor too. You could just turn up and buy your ticket at the gate then.

Kanu?

Is that you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

International break = boredom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Galvasean wrote: »
    International break = boredom.

Especially when it means we get to watch Trappatoni's Ireland.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement