Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

Just on the youth players. There are few if any clubs who regularly see loads of players come through the youth ranks and make it. For us, Jack, Gibbs and Woj is excellent going for the last few years.

At some stage we're going to have to start signing 25/26 year olds who are at their peak if we want to progress, there's too much attention paid to the club "structures" etc. below the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Don't get why hes dropped Jenkinson. Gervinho ahead of Ox and Poldi's a big risk..

AdamD wrote: »
    Don't get why hes dropped Jenkinson. Gervinho ahead of Ox and Poldi's a big risk..

Gervinho's due a good run til the end of the season, been too long since he looked worth a spot.

At some stage we're going to have to start signing 25/26 year olds who are at their peak if we want to progress, there's too much attention paid to the club "structures" etc. below the first team.

That started about 2 years ago really. Arteta/Mertesacker/Podolski/Giroud/Santos/Cazorla etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,484 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

greendom wrote: »
    ...he is on the bench..

Szczesny, Vermaelen, Jenkinson, Gibbs, Coquelin, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Podolsk

Arshavin not even on the bench.
    Is he finished at the club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Podolski, Cazorla, Giroud, Monreal, Koscielny .....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Really want to see Szczesny back into the starting 11, probably waiting on Fabianski playing a bad game which I hope doesn't happen. Ox and Pod I'd like to see on too but happy Gervinho is being given a chance as I think he has quality at times. Pretty decent team, this pretty much confirms that Vermaelen has been dropped too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

He's hardly featured in any squads this season from recollection - did at the start but rarely from Christmas if I remember rightly.

Gervinho will create plenty of space for others because he attracts opposition players with his runs and he always wins frees - his major problem is the final ball. No idea what to do with it 90% of the time.

That started about 2 years ago really. Arteta/Mertesacker/Podolski/Giroud/Santos/Cazorla etc
    Podolski, Cazorla, Giroud, Monreal, Koscielny .....?

Some of whom aren't quite top level. If one thinks that they are then it suggests Wenger is doing something very wrong.

Some of whom aren't quite top level. If one thinks that they are then it suggests Wenger is doing something very wrong.

You never said top level, you just gave us an age bracket lol
    Cazorla's the only top level player we've signed in the last couple of seasons imo. Monreal could be too, the rest are players you'd really rather be squad players.

• Advertisement

You never said top level, you just gave us an age bracket lol
    Cazorla's the only top level player we've signed in the last couple of seasons imo. Monreal could be too, the rest are players you'd really rather be squad players.

I assumed when talking about Arsenal and wanting to things (PL, CL mainly) that wanting signings to be top-level would go without saying.

You can't buy all world class players - you can if you are Real Madrid maybe - but other than that you have to buy the odd "just above average" player. I'm being very honest, out of the current Manchester United squad the only players I'd get excited about signing would be van Persie (:mad: pr1ck), Rooney, and Kagawa. I think their defence now individually are nothing but average (used to like Vidic and Ferdinand but think they are past it), Rafael is terrible at defending, they have the likes of Carrick, Nani, Anderson etc., in midfield who will never set the world alight.

De Gea has made more blunders than our two keepers put together and they rely a lot on the golden oldies of Scholes and Giggs at times.

No massive star names there - apart from van Persie and maybe Rooney - yet they are cantering away with the league without breaking a sweat. We have good players but Wenger can't get them playing like Ferguson can.

Buy all the superstars you want - won't make them world beaters or a team. Look at Man City!

Maire2009 wrote: »
    You can't buy all world class players - you can if you are Real Madrid maybe - but other than that you have to buy the odd "just above average" player. I'm being very honest, out of the current Manchester United squad the only players I'd get excited about signing would be van Persie (:mad: pr1ck), Rooney, and Kagawa. I think their defence now individually are nothing but average (used to like Vidic and Ferdinand but think they are past it), Rafael is terrible at defending, they have the likes of Carrick, Nani, Anderson etc., in midfield who will never set the world alight.

De Gea has made more blunders than our two keepers put together and they rely a lot on the golden oldies of Scholes and Giggs at times.

No massive star names there - apart from van Persie and maybe Rooney - yet they are cantering away with the league without breaking a sweat. We have good players but Wenger can't get them playing like Ferguson can.
    If we're to accept we can't buy players good enough to win the league then what's the point? If we're saying our squad is strong enough but we haven't won anything in 7 years how can we say we're happy with the management system?
    I mean seriously, at some point something's gotta give.
    Buy all the superstars you want - won't make them world beaters or a team. Look at Man City!
    The current champs? :pac:

If we're to accept we can't buy players good enough to win the league then what's the point? If we're saying our squad is strong enough but we haven't won anything in 7 years how can we say we're happy with the management system?
    I mean seriously, at some point something's gotta give.

The current champs? :pac:

I'm not happy with how Wenger is managing what we have - I think the players we have should be accomplishing a lot more. We shouldn't be losing to Bradford and Blackburn and be so far off the pace in the league. I was happy when Cazorla, Pod and Giroud came but I don't think the best have been got from them at all.

Ha ha I know they are current champions but for half a billion (or whatever it is) I'd be expecting a lot more myself.

Maire2009 wrote: »
    I'm not happy with how Wenger is managing what we have - I think the players we have should be accomplishing a lot more. We shouldn't be losing to Bradford and Blackburn and be so far off the pace in the league. I was happy when Cazorla, Pod and Giroud came but I don't think the best have been got from them at all.
    Fair enough, usually those argue against me accuse me of saying Wenger is the worst manager ever, apparently he's the best ever. :pac:
    Ha ha I know they are current champions but for half a billion (or whatever it is) I'd be expecting a lot more myself.
    Well we have what, hundred million or 2 sitting in the bank? An extra 8 home games next season from doing well in cups would give us about 20million extra revenue, that's 400k per week in wages to cover the players we sign for 100 million or so.

Good lad Gervinho.

Genius by Wenger starting Gervinho :D

1-0 Gervinho with the finish, had a feeling he'd be doing well today. So inconsistent though

Good play all round from Gervinho, nice turn and pass then followed it up well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

yeah, his contract is up in the summer

batistuta9 wrote: »
    yeah, his contract is up in the summer

Is it really? Disappointing not being able to shift him off before now then, been wasting for a year or 2

Well we have what, hundred million or 2 sitting in the bank? An extra 8 home games next season from doing well in cups would give us about 20million extra revenue, that's 400k per week in wages to cover the players we sign for 100 million or so.

Just you wait until Financial Fair Play comes into play, we'll be singing :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

TheGunns wrote: »
    Is it really? Disappointing not being able to shift him off before now then, been wasting for a year or 2

yeah, so is Squillachi's & Fabianski's too i think

HOW IS THAT NOT A PEN? MADNESS...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Clearest penalty you'll see today.

• Advertisement

Swansea doing us no favours - Spurs 2-0 up

Ehm, that penalty shout was a pretty ridiculous one to ignore.

Gervinho is up and down like a yo yo.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    yeah, so is Squillachi's & Fabianski's too i think

Fabianski too? You'd think with Wenger playing him that he would resign him as there's unlikely to be many keepers happy to sit on the bench.

Santi and Giroud are linking up very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Southampton 2 - 1 Chelsea

Edit* Chelsea equalised.
    Re-edit* Southampton scored again

• Advertisement

7amkickoff ‏@7amkickoff 54s
    Chris Foy hasn't awarded Arsenal a penalty since 29 March 2008.

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Southampton 1 - 1 Chelsea

Edit* Chelsea equalised.

Southampton lead again

Really need to kill this off.

Ref's not giving us anything

This is getting ridiculous, so one sided.

Referee's taking the p1ss now

Foy is a clueless prick.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

How the hell has Leigertwood not been booked yet!?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

should be 10 not 1-0 :/ hope it doesn't bite us in the hole in the 2nd half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Anybody any recipes? Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Going to be a nervy second half if we don't get the second goal early. Gervinho's build up play has been quite good but his finishing, apart from the easy tap in, has been dreadful.

• Advertisement

Beauty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Well there it is

Beautiful goal.

That's how you finish ...

Goal and assist from Gervinho now :D

Gervinho to Cazorla this time! Excellent!

Giroud has been great today, all he's missing is a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Gervinho to Cazorla this time! Excellent!

Giroud has been great today, all he's missing is a goal.

Well I captained him in FF, of course he's not going to score...

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Well I captained him in FF, of course he's not going to score...

I forgot to change my team and still have Michu captain :o

I'll miss reading if (when) they get relegated. We always seem to play well, or at least score goals, against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I take it back :D:D:D

What a goal.

• Advertisement

Great play Gervinho. Nice finish Olly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement