Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

jester77 wrote: »
    Take off those glasses, seriously. Look at how many games he has won for Spurs this season. Without his contribution Spurs would be sitting further down the table where Liverpool and Everton are.

It's not by magic we are where we are. The last number of seasons placings back that up. It's in the last 6 months that granted Bale has come to the fore but to suggest we are being carried by 1 man is rubbish imo.

Arsenal now have a real chance of winning 4 games in a row whilst Spurs play once in that time. My money is definitely on Arsenal for top 4 but who knows one minute ye look world beaters the next can't beat Bradford!. Should be an interesting next 6 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

We really shouldn't give a fcuk about Tottenham or Bale, them losing Bale for a few weeks isn't going to make us play any better, and it's not guaranteed to make them play any worse. Nothing has changed- we need to keep winning our games and hope Chelsea/Tottenham slip up.

It's a sad indictment of how far backwards we've gone that our fans are growing increasingly obsessed with Tottenham. Not so long ago they were nothing but an annoying jealous neighbour whose obsession with us was weird and disconcerting, we got on with minding our own business and let them keep talking about power shifts, abusing Sol Campbell, minding the gap, celebrating equalisers as though they won the league despite the fact we had just won the title on their pitch, and making dvd's of their first team beating our second string in the semi final of a cup competition that we clearly didn't give a damn about (if we did, we'd have picked our strongest XI).

It's sad to see our fans becoming like them in a way. Hopefully this summer we keep our players, spend big as has been rumoured, and go back to challenging for trophies and back to the days when the only clubs we worried about were our title rivals. I'd really hate to see us turn into a club whose benchmark is their hated neighbour, the benchmark should be 1st place. Unfortunately, our club has fallen to the point that our benchmark has become 4th place. If our benchmark becomes Tottenham, I think I'll just give up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It's not by magic we are where we are. The last number of seasons placings back that up. It's in the last 6 months that granted Bale has come to the fore but to suggest we are being carried by 1 man is rubbish imo.

Arsenal now have a real chance of winning 4 games in a row whilst Spurs play once in that time. My money is definitely on Arsenal for top 4 but who knows one minute ye look world beaters the next can't beat Bradford!. Should be an interesting next 6 weeks.

Spurs are playing well and the table never lies. I didn't say Spurs are a one man team, but if Bale was not there then I think it's fair to say that they would be fighting it out with Liverpool/Everton in the table. This blog has a nice break down of statistics, "Bale has scored or assisted 67% of Spurs’ league goals in 2013", that to me says Spurs are over reliant on him, but not as bad as Liverpool with Suarez.

It's going to be an interesting end of season. I hope Bale is not out for too long, I like his style of play and he seems to have cut back on the muppetry. The Everton games are big games for both Arsenal and Spurs. These 2 games imo will have the biggest impact on final standings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Our concentration on Spurs isn't just because they are local rivals, its probably more to due with them being incredibly close to us in the league and only 2/3 of the London clubs will be getting CL football next year. We had a Chelsea discussion recently due to their fixture list too...are we not allowed to discuss Spurs in fear of looking desperate?

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Real sad comment, grow up
    Absolute Rubbish. You don't watch many if any Spuds games if you believe that.

Your username really is apt ain't it :P
    jester77 wrote: »
    I don't know why people are happy that he is injured, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. He can be a bit of a muppet on the field but when he's not, he's a great player to watch. It really sucks for Spurs if he is out for a while as they have some tough games coming up where I think they would have dropped points even if he was playing. It just makes it more difficult for them now. He's the only reason they are where they are.

We should just focus on our game. If we were to win every game left we are guaranteed CL football, regardless of what other teams do. Forget about the rest and just focus on the next game.

WBA away. They have won their last 2 home games against Swansea and Sunderland, and have beaten Chelsea, Liverpool and Everton at home this season. Tricky game for us, but if we play like we did against Reading we should get a win.

I don't get this attitude people are far to sensitive these days, it's not like anyone would be glad he died, or has a career threatening injury etc its an injury that puts a player out for a few weeks that helps Arsenal damn right ill be happy and wont feel guilty about it, not having a go but its something you see a lot of on here people thinking it disgraceful if someone is happy a player is injured. It's a sport these things happen fcuk there's far worse things out there than to be worrying about than someone being happy a high paid player missing a few games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

AdamD wrote: »
    Our concentration on Spurs isn't just because they are local rivals, its probably more to due with them being incredibly close to us in the league and only 2/3 of the London clubs will be getting CL football next year. We had a Chelsea discussion recently due to their fixture list too...are we not allowed to discuss Spurs in fear of looking desperate?

It is partly because they are local rivals actually, there are posts a few pages back intimating that 4th would be some kind of disaster if Tottenham finished third. My point was that the only thing that matters is what we do, **** everyone else.

People are as allowed to discuss Spurs as much as I am allowed to say worrying about them is pointless. I don't see anyone here dictating what everyone should or shouldn't be discussing??

I've seen chicks' ankles go further than that and they were fine. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

In any case get well soon Tottenham Hotspur

• Advertisement

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/-it-s-pressure-but-i-have-enjoyed-it-

First Steve Bould quotes as far as I'm aware since the Stewart Robson claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

So are we going to get an enforcer in over the summer does anyone think? We had Flamini, Viera, Gilberto all playing that sort of role over the years - that guy that would stand up to the bullies of the footballing world and protect the back four, stick his foot in where others would turn away. I think since Flamini left like a skunk we never did replace that type of character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

HazDanz wrote: »
    So are we going to get an enforcer in over the summer does anyone think? We had Flamini, Viera, Gilberto all playing that sort of role over the years - that guy that would stand up to the bullies of the footballing world and protect the back four, stick his foot in where others would turn away. I think since Flamini left like a skunk we never did replace that type of character.

Flamini gave us one good season before he thought he was world class, we hadn't really had a proper world class dm since Gilberto in my opinion.

We had song who wondered around and mastered the the 'chip' to Rvp. Not a bad player but we all agreed we needed a better defensive mid, unfortunately we didn't replace him with one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

HazDanz wrote: »

Flamini gave us one good season before he thought he was world class, we hadn't really had a proper world class dm since Gilberto in my opinion.

We had song who wondered around and mastered the the 'chip' to Rvp. Not a bad player but we all agreed we needed a better defensive mid, unfortunately we didn't replace him with one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Capoue seems to be the DM we're after or Diame. Both look decent and much better defensively than what we've got currently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

For all the Eircom heads in here the Arsenal match is on Eircoms SportsHub today. Kick off at 3pm

• Advertisement

Oranage2 wrote: »

Spot on about Gilberto, what an absolute destroyer of a midfielder. Solid as a rock.

Flamini wasn't really all that good but he WORKED HIS ASS OFF and in my opinion he made the life of the rest of the midfield alot easier.

Flamini wasn't really all that good but he WORKED HIS ASS OFF and in my opinion he made the life of the rest of the midfield alot easier.

For a year. Classic example of a player looking excellent for us for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,120 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

For a year. Classic example of a player looking excellent for us for a while.

He left after that year so any suggestion that it would orwouldn't have carried on after that is pure speculation and opinion. No one knows. All we do know is that the year he was good he was excellent.

Quazzie wrote: »
    He left after that year so any suggestion that it would orwouldn't have carried on after that is pure speculation and opinion. No one knows. All we do know is that the year he was good he was excellent.

What's he done since leaving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,120 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

At Arsenal... Nothing. At any other club doesn't count because its a totally different set of circumstances. But since you mention it he has won two more medals than the whole of the a arsenal squad ;)

• Advertisement

Well in fairness he has won the Seire A and Supercoppa with Milan, I think this notion of him getting no game time for Milan is greatly exaggerated by Arsenal fans in his first three seasons he made 30+ plus appearances for Milan it was only really the 2011-12 season he properly fell out of the first team and even this season he seems to be getting back into the fold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Unchanged team: Fabianski, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal, Rosicky, Arteta, Ramsey, Cazorla, Gervinho, Giroud

Lukaku on the bench for West Brom, good news.

Quazzie wrote: »
    At Arsenal... Nothing. At any other club doesn't count because its a totally different set of circumstances. But since you mention it he has won two more medals than the whole of the a arsenal squad ;)
    I could list a few players with medals that don't mean a lot. Also is the community shield worth mentioning these days? :pac:
    He's a solid player but he isn't amazeballs. Now that a few more Italian clubs have sorted themselves out (on the pitch at least) there'll be no more easy titles picked up for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Unchanged team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Team unchanged from last week...

Fabianski

Sagna - Mertesacker - Koscielny - Monreal

Arteta - Ramsey

Rosicky

Gervinho - Giroud - Santi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I could list a few players with medals that don't mean a lot. Also is the community shield worth mentioning these days? :pac:
    He's a solid player but he isn't amazeballs. Now that a few more Italian clubs have sorted themselves out (on the pitch at least) there'll be no more easy titles picked up for a while.

Please don't use that "word" in here again! :(

Please don't use that "word" in here again! :(

Totes awks lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

No Woj on the bench. He injured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

No Woj on the bench. He injured?

Apparently he was in training yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

For all the Eircom heads in here the Arsenal match is on Eircoms SportsHub today. Kick off at 3pm

Are you sure this is online? It says racing all day

Edit: Nevermind. Its on now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

jonny666 wrote: »

Does this mean their showing it?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Does this mean their showing it?

pre-match build up is on now.

Do they show many games? Im Eircom this is the first time I've heard of this :o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Ye I'm confused do they show games!?

Edit-I get it now you need to be with eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Do they show many games? Im Eircom this is the first time I've heard of this :o.

Ya they should the odd few. 10-15 a year I think. There is a limit on numbers joining the server tho so I always get on early. I suspect it's only Liverpool and Utd matches that max it out tho

Massive game here! 3 points is a must! COYG

Ya they should the odd few. 10-15 a year I think. There is a limit on numbers joining the server tho so I always get on early. I suspect it's only Liverpool and Utd matches that max it out tho

Nice I must keep an eye on it in future so. Great being able to watch the game decent quality :), and I aint paying 12 or 15 quid a month for setanta.

COME ON ARSENAL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Get in !!!!!

• Advertisement

Good play by Gervinho again :).

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Have to say lads I absolutely love Arteta as our captain!

Apologies for the pityful match thread btw :cool:

A few points for me:

Mertesacker can't cut it. He brought West Brom back into the game single handidly. The red card was his 4th dodgy moment. He should have let Long shoot too, completely idiotic. With his limitations he pretty much can't make any errors, he makes loads.
    Fabianski and Koscienly had really strong performances
    Giroud's needs a bit more cop on, sure it was a nice try but that ball should have been run into the corner flag at the end.

Great win!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Thank fcuk for that, good win away against a decent west brom side and with 10 men, back into the top 4 COYG!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

very important 3 points. This was one of the most difficult remaining games.
    Maybe the performance wasn't top notch but, for me, this game was never about the great performance, it was for the win.
    We definitely need to win the next two at the Emirates. It would be a big boost psychologically to be third (even temporarily).
    I wonder if Everton could do us a favour tomorrow. Very important game for them too, this and the one against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

AdamD wrote: »
    A few points for me:

Mertesacker can't cut it. He brought West Brom back into the game single handidly. The red card was his 4th dodgy moment. He should have let Long shoot too, completely idiotic. With his limitations he pretty much can't make any errors, he makes loads.
    Fabianksi and Koscienly had really strong performances
    Giroud's needs a bit more cop on, sure it was a nice try but that ball should have been run into the corner flag at the end.

The problem is that Vermaelen has been even worse this season with far too many costly mistakes. Let's hope his time out of the team has improved his concentration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Irish Aris wrote: »
    very important 3 points. This was one of the most difficult remaining games.
    Maybe the performance wasn't top notch but, for me, this game was never about the great performance, it was for the win.
    We definitely need to win the next two at the Emirates. It would be a big boost psychologically to be third (even temporarily).
    I wonder if Everton could do us a favour tomorrow. Very important game for them too, this and the one against us.

Everton are as big a danger as Spurs I feel.
    We need to be beating them to end their challenge.
    A draw between Spurs and Everton could suit us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

So is that a 1 or 3 match ban for Mert?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement