Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

It's back in our hands now.

No excuses.

Two points clear if we win the game in hand. COYG and F**k you Spurs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

It's officially back in our hands!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

For my money, that's also Liverpool done. They were outsiders but today eliminated them in my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Wasn't it in our hands anyway because Chelsea and Spurs have to play each other? One step closer at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

We play three times before they play now, win them and we are 7 infront with their games in hand being Chelsea and City, do that and we have it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

jordainius wrote: »
    It's officially back in our hands!

arsene-wenger-3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

Two points clear if we win the game in hand. COYG and F**k you Spurs :)

1 point clear if ye win game in hand and that game is against Everton..no guarantees there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Chelsea have just scored the luckiest goal ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Wasn't it in our hands anyway because Chelsea and Spurs have to play each other? One step closer at the end of the day.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! (I even said it myself here a few days ago)

We play 3 times before Tottenham play next (against Man City). We were 7 behind them a few weeks ago, we could be 7 ahead of them in three weeks, that would be one hell of a turnaround in all fairness.

Lot of work to be done yet though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Speaking of the turnaround, do they have another thread like last year? Was so funny reading though that and the changing emotions as the weeks went by:

:D -> :) -> :o -> :confused: -> :( -> :mad:

Or did they learn their lesson that its not over until all 38 games are played?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Speaking of the turnaround, do they have another thread like last year? Was so funny reading though that and the changing emotions as the weeks went by:

:D -> :) -> :o -> :confused: -> :( -> :mad:

Or did they learn their lesson that its not over until all 38 games are played?

Lesson well and truly learned believe me.

Have to be careful we don't make the same mistake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

1 point clear if ye win game in hand and that game is against Everton..no guarantees there

My mistake one point clear should we win.
    Everton are indeed a good side tbf. Lot of football to be played yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

jordainius wrote: »
    I want a draw at WHL, need them both to drop points, Everton are in this race just as much as we are.
    Draw is perfect result,come on.

Everton win, with Arsenal then beating everton would've been the best result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Everton win, with Arsenal then beating everton would've been the best result

If Everton had won, they might've more fired up for the game against us, and that would make it a more difficult game than now, when their chances of making Europe are smaller, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

If Everton had won, they might've more fired up for the game against us, and that would make it a more difficult game than now, when their chances of making Europe are smaller, I think.

i don't think it'll make a big difference to them, they'll be fired up anyway

but if they'd have won:
    tottenham p32 pts57
    arsenal p31 pts56
    everton p31 pts54

that would've given arsenal the chance of a draw v Everton, after beating norwich (hopefully) being an OK result, or a better result than i'd consider a draw now

as it'd leave arsenal on 60 points, tottenham even with their game in hand can go level on points but have a GD of 12 worse - so they'll not turn that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

We shod take Loric Remy and Julio Cesar in the summer.

From some basic reading Remy's on 75k which is a fair bit for us but he seems OK and he's the type of forward we don't have.

Cesar - not sure what he's on but we should make him take a pay cut. In return he gets to stay in London and challenge Szcz for no 1 spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Remy would suit Arsenal down to the ground. I've seen 3 of QPR's games with him on football first and he is class above everyone at QPR. He always looks dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Zelalem should make his debut for the u21s tonight
    It's on LFC tv on sky be worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Thought Giroud was piss poor on Saturday. I'm a huge fan of his but he looked either tired or just not interested. He wasn't strong enough at holding up the ball and the only decent thing he did all games was put Ramsey through who should have scored. I don't know why AW doesn't replace players when they're having shockers.

Great result all the same and fair play to all for hanging on. Anyone else see Mert drop down on the ball with his back - quailty! :D

I agree with another poster regarding Remy. Remember when Wenger used to sign pacey strikers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Roaster wrote: »
    Thought Giroud was piss poor on Saturday. I'm a huge fan of his but he looked either tired or just not interested. He wasn't strong enough at holding up the ball and the only decent thing he did all games was put Ramsey through who should have scored. I don't know why AW doesn't replace players when they're having shockers.

Great result all the same and fair play to all for hanging on. Anyone else see Mert drop down on the ball with his back - quailty! :D

I agree with another poster regarding Remy. Remember when Wenger used to sign pacey strikers?

The only problem is we have no one really to replace him with. Only really Pod was on the bench and wenger clearly doesn't fancy him as a striker, though I think giroud is a lot better at holding up the ball esp as we were a man down.

we definitely need a new striker, I would be hoping for someone better than remy though I wouldn't be disappointed if we got him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,120 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Remy wouldn't be a bad buy at all. He will have at least some of his adjustment to England and the English game done, and plus after coming from a relegated team he shouldn't come in with a "Superstar" attitude so should get stuck in.

Hoping for better but would settle for Remy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mert has been our second most reliable passer of the ball this season so I don't buy the argument that he's shaky in possession. He's capable of getting caught on a through ball here and there but there isn't a defender in the league that doesn't make mistakes. Maybe Kompany is one that seems consistently reliable. For me Mert has been our best defender this season and we should remember that we actually have the best away defensive record in the league. He gets unfairly criticised imo.

I like Mert and he has been good but is fairly prone to lapses of concentration and in my opinion and I feel he gives the ball back to the keeper too often needlessly. What happens then is that the keeper hoofs the ball upfield. Mert could have done that himself without putting pressure on the keeper in many of those instances.
    I also have in the back of my head the times (twice) he ducked out of blocking shots which led to goals. Saw a defender take a ball to the face yesterday for the team in exactly the same situation.
    I am happier when Mert and Kos are our center backs though having said all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Walcott 18 (11)
    Giroud 16 (10)
    Podolski 13 (9)
    Cazorla 12 (12)
    Gervinho 7 (5)
    Arteta 5 (5)
    Rosicky 3 (2)
    Koscielny 3 (1)
    Mr. Owen Goal 3 (3)
    Chamakh 2 (0)
    Mertesacker 2 (2)
    Oxlade-Chamberlain 2 (1)
    Wilshere 2 (0)
    Arshavin 1 (0)
    Gibbs 1 (0)
    Miquel 1 (0)
    Monreal 1 (1)
    Ramsey 1 (0)
    Vermaelen 1 (0)

(League goals in brackets)

Sorry for the delay. Was away over the weekend.
    Nice to see Tomas triple his tally :cool:

Anybody got any idea why Johnny Giles has so much butthurt in relation to Arsenal and Wenger in particular?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Galvasean wrote: »
    Anybody got any idea why Johnny Giles has so much butthurt in relation to Arsenal and Wenger in particular?

I didn't hear him. What did he say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Whenever I've heard him he's not been so bad. Nowhere near the Stewart Robson scale of things anyway. Haven't heard much recently though.

• Advertisement

He's probably just fed up with Liam.

I didn't hear him. What did he say?

Claimed that the only reason Arsenal are doing well is that they've been knocked out of every other competition. Never gives the team credit when they win a match - always makes excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Bizarre thing for him to say really...focusing on one competition does not mean good results. Actually a completely daft point from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Claimed that the only reason Arsenal are doing well is that they've been knocked out of every other competition. Never gives the team credit when they win a match - always makes excuses.

Ah its getting ridiculous at this stage, sure Tony Gale on Sky Sports News the other day was saying that Arsenal are going well for top 4, but that they have been lucky with regards Spurs having injuries to Gareth Bale and Defoe! :rolleyes: Yeah like that has anything to do with Arsenal and its not like Arsenal havent had to deal with injuries to Wilshere, Walcott etc ffs. Sometimes you wonder how these pundits get paid to come up with this stuff?

Ah its getting ridiculous at this stage, sure Tony Gale on Sky Sports News the other day was saying that Arsenal are going well for top 4, but that they have been lucky with regards Spurs having injuries to Gareth Bale and Defoe! :rolleyes: Yeah like that has anything to do with Arsenal and its not like Arsenal havent had to deal with injuries to Wilshere, Walcott etc ffs. Sometimes you wonder how these pundits get paid to come up with this stuff?

Yeah, that's just pundits not doing thier homework. Tottenham lost at home to Fulham with Bale in the squad. No excuses there.

I don't take most pundits seriously anyway, particularly none of those on RTE - The Premiership more of a comedy show with controversial opinions than of football review show and that's why I prefer it over BBC and ITV (don't have Sky Sports).

I actually always wait until MOTD for highlights as cant stand the irish one!

• Advertisement

Raf32 wrote: »
    I actually always wait until MOTD for highlights as cant stand the irish one!

I think it's hilarious. None of them have a clue what they're blabbering about and regularly contradict their opinions the following week. It's good television if you're a fan - especially when they start arguing with each other - but I would not like to be a footballer listening to them. Graeme Souness and Dunphy's arguments back in the day comical and Dunphy always comes out with funny sayings when he's being critical of someone's performance.

You don't get that sort of entertainment on the others.

Giles said earlier in the season that to finish in the top four with this Arsenal team would be Wenger's "greatest achievement". I wonder will he put his hands up and give credit where credit is due if and when we finish top 4 (or perhaps 3rd the way things are going!).

Giles said earlier in the season that to finish in the top four with this Arsenal team would be Wenger's "greatest achievement". I wonder will he put his hands up and give credit where credit is due if and when we finish top 4 (or perhaps 3rd the way things are going!).

This season is certainly one of his hardest tasks since being Arsenal manager, but to go unbeaten in the Premiership, is a feat no other has accomplished.

Controversial opinions is the reason why a lot of people in Ireland watch that show. The British would probably watch it just to shout at the television at them if they could receive RTE 2 over there.

The one thing I do hate about that show is Jimmy Magee. His culchie accent and phrases do not belong in the beautiful game. I really hate it when him commentates on an Arsenal match.

In wonder will Verm get the captain's armband when he's reintroduced to the starting XI now that Mert is suspended...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Jeez theres not much than watching the premiership after arsenal have a bad result, first dunphy comes in with a rant 'they're not a real football team bill, wenger has lost the players' then its followed by Giles with delayed speech as if he has contemplated some amazing insightful discovery on arsenal saying 'the...problem..with....arsenal..is....wengers....philosophy", then dunphy comes in "he's lost the plot bill, sycnzy is not a player, he's a clown" etc etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

In wonder will Verm get the captain's armband when he's reintroduced to the starting XI now that Mert is suspended...

He didn't get it when he came on Saturday

Don't forget the u21 game if any of ye are up to nothing

Keep an eye on Zelalem! I think we may have found our new Cesc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭DarrenCroker

What do people think of that?

What do people think of that?

Very good but we always seek perfection :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Very good but we always seek perfection :D

It's when you have a sh*t load of potential and don't use it correctly is what gets to me. That board of ours getting involved in property development rather than focusing on football pissed me off. At least now it looks like we are coming out of the back end of that looking unscathed somehow.

Akpom and Gnabry again for the u21s v Liverpool. Those 2 should be getting some game time next season. Both are only 17 and the most important players in the u 21s side.

AdamD wrote: »
    Akpom and Gnabry again for the u21s v Liverpool. Those 2 should be getting some game time next season. Both are only 17 and the most important players in the u 21s side.

Are we 2 up?

Are we 2 up?

2-2. Haven't been watching, just flicking over to it every now and then. Its on LFCTV, which is free on sky it seems..

AdamD wrote: »
    2-2. Haven't been watching, just flicking over to it every now and then. Its on LFCTV, which is free on sky it seems..

Did we win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Would love to see more of Gnabry next season, he looks a real prospect and they type of player that could scare defences the type of player I was expecting Chamberlain to be this year.

Lets hope he start progressing next season again instead of regressing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement