Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

LOL. Van persie on 0.2%. Even Bale is beating him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

While Giggs only has 1% is crazy.

Not really because Giggs has been a great player but he never deserved that award in 09 . I think it was more down to the fact players voted for him because he never won it before . Christiano Ronaldo was sold for 80 million at the end of that season . He was head and shoulders the best player in the league at the time ( I really dislike !!!!!! ) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Lots of Arsenal fans and bloggers on Twitter have been posting the link over the last few hours, that's where I came across it. Nice to see it's working :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Not really because Giggs has been a great player but he never deserved that award in 09 . I think it was more down to the fact players voted for him because he never won it before . Christiano Ronaldo was sold for 80 million at the end of that season . He was head and shoulders the best player in the league at the time ( I really dislike !!!!!! ) .

Yeh but remember your not really voting for the player who won it that season, people are going to pick there favorite player who has made a worthwhile contribution to the EPL,which when you look at Giggs and his career it has been outstanding and memorable moments there are countless ;).

Of coarse I voted for Henry :) as an Arsenal fan and he is a player who set the EPL alight for many seasons. The reason I'd say Ronaldo is so low is more to do with the fact that he never had his best years at United he's giving them to La Liga and Real Madrid.

Gerrard now that one im baffled by.

Gerrard now that one im baffled by.

I can't see how it would baffle you ! Steven Gerrard has been one of the finest players of his generation . At times he has Dragged us through games on his own . I would say if the poll was done properley it would have Ronaldo 1st , Gerrard / Henry in either place behind Ronaldo .

I can't see how it would baffle you ! Steven Gerrard has been one of the finest players of his generation . At times he has Dragged us through games on his own . I would say if the poll was done properley it would have Ronaldo 1st , Gerrard / Henry in either place behind Ronaldo .

Gerrard has been a good player but of the same calibre of Henry, Ronaldo not a chance. He is so over hyped by Liverpool fans its ridiculous, probably because he's the only shining light they have had for such a long time. He probably wouldn't even be in my top 5 from that list maybe just maybe scrape 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Gerrard had been fantastic for Liverpool down the years. One of my favourite players when he was at his best. But Ronaldo and Henry were both just a class above him when they were/are at their best. I think Henry should win but I wouldn't have an issue with Ronnie finishing top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

He's been vintage this season but I don't think you can argue that his star had waned significantly from Rafa's last season up until this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Trying to pick one player as the best since the premiership started is near impossible if you ask me they all played for diferent teams with diferent quality of players around them while i think berbatov and bergkamp are the biggest genius's of the last decade i think henry and shearer are better strikers its too hard to pick one im just glad weve experienced so many world class players because at the moment most world class stars are in spain and germany and not in england unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

If it was up to me God (Bergkamp) was the best!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Gerrard had been fantastic for Liverpool down the years. One of my favourite players when he was at his best. But Ronaldo and Henry were both just a class above him when they were/are at their best. I think Henry should win but I wouldn't have an issue with Ronnie finishing top.

I would tbh, the poll was for the best player of the year in the premiership what he has achieved since should not influence it and tbh he was nowhere near the player he is now, while in the premiership. I would have Gerrard ahead of him aswell tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I would tbh, the poll was for the best player of the year in the premiership what he has achieved since should not influence it and tbh he was nowhere near the player he is now, while in the premiership. I would have Gerrard ahead of him aswell tbh

Didn't he score like 40 goals in a season here, win the CL and a couple of premierships?

In fairness towards the end he couldn't have been much better.

if you're going on longevity, then Giggs beats Gerrard.

Lads thinking in heading over to the Emirates for the first time in August, anyone know roughly how much the whole cost is? Thinking first home game or if we are in champions league qualifiers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Raf32 wrote: »
    Lads thinking in heading over to the Emirates for the first time in August, anyone know roughly how much the whole cost is? Thinking first home game or if we are in champions league qualifiers?

Think the Emirates Cup is back on again this year - Been twice before, normally a good laugh, and you get to see Arsenal twice in two days. Normally cheaper tickets too,.

I went in February for the first time, flew into Heathrow and stayed in King's Cross for two nights, which was probably the most expensive option to take. But it was good for someone who didn't know where they were going as the two are both on the same tube line as the stadium so I couldn't really get lost! Staying in central London is expensive though, the hotel was a glorified b&b and you basically pay for the location. Overall, it probably cost me around 400 euro for the ticket, flight and hotel but you can do it for a lot less if you're willing to fly into Gatwick/Stansted and stay in the suburbs or do a day trip, which is what i'll probably do next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

I think it's interesting looking at Borrusia Dortmund, the last two summers they've lost some of their best players (Sahin and Kagawa), yet it hasn't affected them in the slightest as they've been able to replace them with arguably better players (Gundogan and Reus) from within their league for relatively cheap. Reus cost €17 million! When you consider we payed a similar price for Walcott and the Ox when they were both 16 (and the prices of other English players), you'd wonder why English players are so overvalued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Lol at Song not even being able to get a game at CB ahead of Adriano.

Wolf Club wrote: »
    I think it's interesting looking at Borrusia Dortmund, the last two summers they've lost some of their best players (Sahin and Kagawa), yet it hasn't affected them in the slightest as they've been able to replace them with arguably better players (Gundogan and Reus) from within their league for relatively cheap. Reus cost €17 million! When you consider we payed a similar price for Walcott and the Ox when they were both 16 (and the prices of other English players), you'd wonder why English players are so overvalued.

I don't know if I'd say they were unaffected by it since there way of the pace in the Bundesliga table ;), But yeh they are still playing some unbelievable football and have some top class players and are an example of a well run and managed club but on the other hand look at Germany if a player wants to play there its them or Bayern at the moment with not much else, in the EPL you have City, Chelsea, United, Spurs even Liverpool still have clout all fighting for players and all with big spending power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Have no idea how reliable this source is but I'm mainly posting for the joy that is Google translate - (I think it should actually be called Google mangles language)

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/bundesliga/startseite/584537/artikel_arsenal-und-mancity-jagen-goetze.html

• Advertisement

I went in February for the first time, flew into Heathrow and stayed in King's Cross for two nights, which was probably the most expensive option to take. But it was good for someone who didn't know where they were going as the two are both on the same tube line as the stadium so I couldn't really get lost! Staying in central London is expensive though, the hotel was a glorified b&b and you basically pay for the location. Overall, it probably cost me around 400 euro for the ticket, flight and hotel but you can do it for a lot less if you're willing to fly into Gatwick/Stansted and stay in the suburbs or do a day trip, which is what i'll probably do next time.

Sound thanks a million, did you go through an agent or do it yourself?

Sound thanks a million, did you go through an agent or do it yourself?

I signed up for red membership and got the ticket that way and booked the rest myself. I didn't look into booking through an agent but I can imagine it'd be fairly pricey. There's a account on Twitter called @arsenaltickets where people offer unwanted tickets for sale so that's worth a follow if you don't fancy signing up for membership. I'm sure there's others here that have been over alot and would have much better advice than me. :)

cson wrote: »
    He's been vintage this season but I don't think you can argue that his star had waned significantly from Rafa's last season up until this one.

Oh you are 100 % spot on with that . He has been injured /lost form / had to change his style of play in the last few years . We are only seeing him back to his best because of these factors .
    @ Marty
    How is he over rated ? The guy has played in some very poor teams and yet managed to get his hands on every trophy he could bar the league . To me that shows how good he is . Also he would walk into an all time Liverpool 11 too .

@ Marty
    How is he over rated ? The guy has played in some very poor teams and yet managed to get his hands on every trophy he could bar the league . To me that shows how good he is . Also he would walk into an all time Liverpool 11 too .

I never said he was a bad player, he is/was a talented player a very good player but not near the same level as Henry or Ronaldo, and I'd certainly have Terry above him aswell in that list as Terry was immense and for me the best CB in the league in his day.

He's overhyped by Liverpool fans and some sections of the English media if I look back through the EPL years there's a few players I would have in my team ahead of Gerrard. A very good player no doubt but there has been better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

I've done both - gone for weekends, gone for a day, depends on my humour :D I've friends over in London who are season ticket holders and if they couldn't go to a game I could buy that one match off them but I got my own red membership this season - it's only like €40 a season and you get Arsenal Player as well if you like to watch the youths play they show them a bit.

I normally fly Shannon-Stansted and then back by Gatwick for a day trip. Cheapest I ever got it with Ryanair was €25 return :D If I'm staying over I stay at a Travelodge or if you want to go cheap, very cheap, Arsenal Tavern about 10mins from the ground is also a hostel - think I paid £9 for the night when I went to see us play Dortmund in the CL last season - German fans were great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Geoff Arsenal ‏@GeoffArsenal 10m
    Jack resumed full training with the 1st team today. Its looking good for a return v Norwich.

Very good.

[edit] No need to rush him though with Tommy flying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Walcott fit for the weekend.

I say we stick with Gervinius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Red membership - €40
    Ryanair flight from Dublin to standsted - €30 ;)
    Match Ticket - €60 (Catagory 'c' match)
    Ryanair flight form Standsted to Dublin - €30 ;)
    Train tickets from/to standsted - €40

Seeing Arsenal draw with WBA - Priceless

Seriously, there are loads of options to getting to see a match. It depends what you want. Normally I go as per above. I get the 11am flight and am back in time for MOTD. It's important to get a red membership. If you want to go with someone - get two memberships - so you can get two tickets. It's worth it over the year especially if you can get really cheap fares with ryanair and get to a few matches.

The other option I took last year was an overnight with a mate of mine to the Southampton game. We stayed in Jurys in Islington - it was cheap enough and easy to get to via Kings cross. We flew into Heathrow - I thik and them flew out of Gatwick. fares were a little bit more expensive than ryanair, but the times suited us better - and we saved a few bob on teh train tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I see no reason to change the team for the weekend, regardless of who's back. Verm for Mert besides obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

The club has announced its Asia tour plans for this Summer in July. One game in Indonesia and two in Japan.

http://www.arsenal.com/asiatour2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

DenMan wrote: »
    The club has announced its Asia tour plans for this Summer in July. One game in Indonesia and two in Japan.

http://www.arsenal.com/asiatour2013

Hopefully we have all our transfer dealings done before the start of the tour to give the new lads sufficient time to gel into the squad for the start of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Very good.

[edit] No need to rush him though with Tommy flying it.

i did not even know wilshere was injured and wasnt playing these past few weeks?

Cesc and Santi both had baby girls in the last few days. Will be putting a few quid on the Spanish ladies team to win the 2035 World Cup :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

newbie2 wrote: »
    Red membership - €40

Seriously, there are loads of options to getting to see a match. It depends what you want. Normally I go as per above. I get the 11am flight and am back in time for MOTD. It's important to get a red membership. If you want to go with someone - get two memberships - so you can get two tickets. It's worth it over the year especially if you can get really cheap fares with ryanair and get to a few matches.

The other option I took last year was an overnight with a mate of mine to the Southampton game. We stayed in Jurys in Islington - it was cheap enough and easy to get to via Kings cross. We flew into Heathrow - I thik and them flew out of Gatwick. fares were a little bit more expensive than ryanair, but the times suited us better - and we saved a few bob on teh train tickets.

The train is cheaper from Gatwick than Stanstead and flights are usually about the same.

Thanks a million everyone for all the help, gonna look into it all now! cant wait!

Any reason why people don't fly into Luton ? It's straight into King's Cross from there on the train

If I were to purchase a red membership now would I be only able to get tickets for this seasons remaining games or is the membership over a 2 year period?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Gringo180 wrote: »
    If I were to purchase a red membership now would I be only able to get tickets for this seasons remaining games or is the membership over a 2 year period?
    This season, it has to be renewed each season.

TheBza wrote: »
    This season, it has to be renewed each season.

Great thanks for the quick reply. Will wait till next season so to purchase the membership as I am looking to get over for a match sometime in October.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

newbie2 wrote: »
    Red membership - €40

Win, no?

I always found going to Stansted and getting the train to Tottenham Hale was the easiest

Cesc and Santi both had baby girls in the last few days. Will be putting a few quid on the Spanish ladies team to win the 2035 World Cup :P

Both 9 months after the Euro2012 final look like the lads, looks like the lads got home and done some celebrating.

Two more matches have been confirmed for for TV so more live Arsenal :)

Queens Park Rangers v Arsenal
    Saturday, May 4 2013
    Kick off 5.30pm (previously 3.00pm)
    Live on ESPN

Arsenal v Wigan Athletic
    Sunday, May 12 2013
    Kick off now 1.30pm (previously 3.00pm)
    Live on Sky TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

A lot of people have pointed out how good the midfield can be with Wilshere and Cazorla, imagine if Fabregas had stayed and we still signed Cazorla!

Wilshere
    - Fabregas --- Cazorla

You can argue it isnt much of a defensive midfield but if we have a striker who knows how to score, he wont be short on chances. Just do what we used to do and simply outscore the opposition!

Shame it never happened but two out of three aint bad and I reckon Fabregas will come back one day.

Twitter suggesting that Rosicky is very doubtful for Saturday. Early return for Jack might be on the cards

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    A lot of people have pointed out how good the midfield can be with Wilshere and Cazorla, imagine if Fabregas had stayed and we still signed Cazorla!

Wilshere
    - Fabregas --- Cazorla

You can argue it isnt much of a defensive midfield but if we have a striker who knows how to score, he wont be short on chances. Just do what we used to do and simply outscore the opposition!

Shame it never happened but two out of three aint bad and I reckon Fabregas will come back one day.

If Nasri, Van Persie & maybe Song had not of left too we would of had some attacking threat.

Song
    Nasri---Wilshere---Fabregas---Cazorla
    Van Persie

:eek:

greendom wrote: »
    Twitter suggesting that Rosicky is very doubtful for Saturday. Early return for Jack might be on the cards

Just as he was coming into some form :rolleyes: Rosicky is a terrific player kind of reminds me of Modric in a way, very busy player and always willing to run at defenses with the ball. Hopefully hes not out for too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

gnfnrhead wrote: »

Wilshere
    - Fabregas --- Cazorla

If we had that mid we would probable never lose the ball. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭OnlyGotOneSong

If you buy a Red membership today,you will get the rest of this season and all of next season included also.Just had an email from Arsenal today stating same.

Well worth while having the red membership for 40 euro a year,as there is availability to the vast majority of games now through the scheme.Also works as the waiting list for Silver membership,with the waiting list for this starting to move considerably in the past few seasons in comparison to years before that.

If you buy a Red membership today,you will get the rest of this season and all of next season included also.Just had an email from Arsenal today stating same.

Well worth while having the red membership for 40 euro a year,as there is availability to the vast majority of games now through the scheme.Also works as the waiting list for Silver membership,with the waiting list for this starting to move considerably in the past few seasons in comparison to years before that.

Had a feeling that next year was included as it said on the website that the membership runs from the 2012-14 season. Thanks for that ill go ahead now and purchase it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

If Nasri, Van Persie & maybe Song had not of left too we would of had some attacking threat.

Song
    Nasri---Wilshere---Fabregas---Cazorla
    Van Persie

:eek:

I was thinking of van Persie for the striker alright but that was getting into a lot of if's and but's. I was trying to keep it to just the one being Fabregas. :D

I think Nasri has been found out at City and Song doesnt seem to be fairing too greatly either. I could take them or leave them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Not a stretch to say if we'd kept Chocolate Leg and Song we'd probably be there or thereabouts in the league now. United would be 10+ points worse off without him imo and we'd be probably 10+ points better.

Very frustrating.

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    Not a stretch to say if we'd kept Chocolate Leg and Song we'd probably be there or thereabouts in the league now. United would be 10+ points worse off without him imo and we'd be probably 10+ points better.

Very frustrating.

I don't think Song would have made a huge difference he always frustrated the hell out of me and I was never a huge fan of his, he often left the defence as vulnerable as it has been at time's this season. There is a reason Wenger let him go so easy, as Barcelona are now finding out.

My problem with the Song situation is we never replaced him with a better player but instead turned to Arteta who just isn't the type of player we need in there.

Now Van Persie undoubtedly would have made a big difference even with his recent dip in form.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement