Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Pity Spurs arent playing this weekend, they'd be shattered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Adebayor ha ha ha. Take your points lad and the goals will come themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Let's not let them regroup and get that 4th,we must open a 7 point lead on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Good job Adebayour.....cocky run up..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Deleighted for the mercenary, horrendous penalty :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

keano_afc wrote: »
    Pity Spurs arent playing this weekend, they'd be shattered.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/spurs/Fixtures+and+Results/fixtures-and-results.page?

Aren't they playing Chelsea away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Sunday the 21st they play City. We'll have played 3 times before that.

Ahh, right. Spurs must so focused on finishing higher than Arsenal, they forgot to update their website.

Anyway, if we beat Norwich, we're ahead by one point and in 3rd place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So we win our next 3 and Spurs then lose to City we'll be 8 points clear having played 1 game more. Not counting any chickens but that would put is in a very strong position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

greendom wrote: »
    So we win our next 3 and Spurs then lose to City we'll be 8 points clear having played 1 game more. Not counting any chickens but that would put is in a very strong position.

7 points

7 points

you're right although with the goal difference it is effectively 8 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Here lads can we take it easy with all this win the next three games waffle and we're laughing. Three games we could easily lose. Lost to Norwich already, Everton away will be tough and we'll be playing the human target, schwarzer and his band of merry men. We should've beaten Fulham at home already so I'm sure they're going to be for another Arsenal scalp.
    If we take it one game at a time and just focus on the next game, I think we'd be much better off.

Let's not get carried away and concentrate on each individual game. All should be treated like cup finals and full concentration and focus is required. If we play to our strengths then we will win these games but we have to focus and not under-estimate any of our opponents. Norwich will not be easy for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

The only way we could ask for more is for United to have the title wrapped up before we play them so they wont be too bothered. As it is, we're a vital game for them. Win our next three and we have no excuses regardless of the United game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Roddy23 wrote: »
    Here lads can we take it easy with all this win the next three games waffle and we're laughing. Three games we could easily lose. Lost to Norwich already, Everton away will be tough and we'll be playing the human target, schwarzer and his band of merry men. We should've beaten Fulham at home already so I'm sure they're going to be for another Arsenal scalp.
    If we take it one game at a time and just focus on the next game, I think we'd be much better off.

I think we're at home to Everton.

I think we're at home to Everton.

We are at home to Everton.
    The team I fear in our next 3 games is Fulham who have been our bogey team for the last number of years.

When did we last win at Craven Cottage can anyone remember? Feels like a while.

When did we last win at Craven Cottage can anyone remember? Feels like a while.

Was the last time we won there when Don Vito stepped up to the plate? Think we won 1-0 that day, remember he played a stormer.

From the Liverpool thread:

Premier League shareholders have ratified the rules governing financial regulation of football clubs.

The plans promise two significant controls; to limit players' wage bills from next season and longer-term measures that will restrict the amount of losses clubs can make to £105million over three years.

Clubs whose total wage bill is more than £52m will only be allowed to increase their wages by £4m per season for the next three years, but the cap does not cover extra money coming in from increases in commercial or matchday income.

The ceiling when the wage increase restrictions kick in will be £52m next season, £56m the following year and £60m in 2015-16. Only seven of the current top-flight clubs would be under that ceiling at the moment.

The Premier League's 20 chairmen agreed by the narrowest majority to bring in the main controls in February, 13 voting for, six against with one abstention.

Thursday's vote, written down rather than a show of hands, was slightly more decisive with 14 clubs in favour, five against and still one abstention.

One concession was agreed, meaning that any profits from player sales will not be part of the spending restrictions on players' wages.

The regulations have come about against the backdrop of UEFA's Financial Fair Play (FFP) initiative.

Under UEFA's new rules clubs are being forced to minimise losses or risk the possibility of exclusion from European competition from 2014/15.

Should Premier League clubs break their proposed new rules, chief executive Richard Scudamore has already confirmed that they will face a points deduction.

I'm guessing we are over £52m? The £4m a year is about £77,000 a week. Two, maybe three players on a low wage or one big player on a higher wage. Going to have to start offloading players who contribute very little but get paid a lot. We cant afford passengers anymore if I'm understanding it correctly.

Hopefully someone can explain all the ins and outs in terms an idiot can understand :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

So wait am I reading there capping wages at 52 million a year for EPL clubs? From next season?

That can't be right it's not even doable in todays market sure our wage bill as the fourth highest in the league stands at 143 million last season and with new contracts and new arrivals it reportedly close to 150 million now.

Evertons was 64 million last season and Spurs was 91 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

So wait am I reading there capping wages at 52 million a year for EPL clubs? From next season?

That can't be right it's not even doable in todays market sure our wage bill as the fourth highest in the league stands at 143 million last season and with new contracts and new arrivals it reportedly close to 150 million now.

Evertons was 64 million last season and Spurs was 91 million.

Reading comprehension fail. :P

Because you are over the 52 million limit, you can only increase next years wages by 4 million. So if this years is 143 million, you can only go as high as 147 million for next season.

Where as if a small club had a budget of say 30 million, they could increase it by 10 million if they wanted.

Kirby wrote: »
    Reading comprehension fail. :P

Because you are over the 52 million limit, you can only increase next years wages by 4 million. So if this years is 143 million, you can only go as high as 147 million for next season.

Where as if a small club had a budget of say 30 million, they could increase it by 10 million if they wanted.

Hey its late at night and there a lot of crap in there ;).

Can't see that making much of a difference in fact if that's correct if anything it will just give the bigger clubs even more of an advantage. It just really stops another Man City happening over night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Was just thinking about nasri last night and how excited I was when he joined us,I remember watching the clips of him at Marseille taking on 4 or 5 players at a time and scoring great goals,he did show a glimpse of that in his last season with us,but he has been a major let down,he is boring and predictable now.

Wonder how he would have turned out had he stayed,although did I read Stan forced him to leave?

Surely that's the job of the manager, the coaching squad and the players. Surely as a supporter I'm allowed the occasional what if ?

Was just thinking about nasri last night and how excited I was when he joined us,I remember watching the clips of him at Marseille taking on 4 or 5 players at a time and scoring great goals,he did show a glimpse of that in his last season with us,but he has been a major let down,he is boring and predictable now.

Wonder how he would have turned out had he stayed,although did I read Stan forced him to leave?

Brilliant player on his day - his main problem seems to be that he drifts out - and not for 30 minutes or so but for 1 or 2 months at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    From the Liverpool thread:

Premier League shareholders have ratified the rules governing financial regulation of football clubs.

The plans promise two significant controls; to limit players' wage bills from next season and longer-term measures that will restrict the amount of losses clubs can make to £105million over three years.

Clubs whose total wage bill is more than £52m will only be allowed to increase their wages by £4m per season for the next three years, but the cap does not cover extra money coming in from increases in commercial or matchday income.

The ceiling when the wage increase restrictions kick in will be £52m next season, £56m the following year and £60m in 2015-16. Only seven of the current top-flight clubs would be under that ceiling at the moment.

The Premier League's 20 chairmen agreed by the narrowest majority to bring in the main controls in February, 13 voting for, six against with one abstention.

Thursday's vote, written down rather than a show of hands, was slightly more decisive with 14 clubs in favour, five against and still one abstention.

One concession was agreed, meaning that any profits from player sales will not be part of the spending restrictions on players' wages.

The regulations have come about against the backdrop of UEFA's Financial Fair Play (FFP) initiative.

Under UEFA's new rules clubs are being forced to minimise losses or risk the possibility of exclusion from European competition from 2014/15.

Should Premier League clubs break their proposed new rules, chief executive Richard Scudamore has already confirmed that they will face a points deduction.

I'm guessing we are over £52m? The £4m a year is about £77,000 a week. Two, maybe three players on a low wage or one big player on a higher wage. Going to have to start offloading players who contribute very little but get paid a lot. We cant afford passengers anymore if I'm understanding it correctly.

Hopefully someone can explain all the ins and outs in terms an idiot can understand :D

I think this suits us rather well actually. We are on ~150m per year, Liverpool are supposed to be a decent bit behind that, Everton and Spurs are miles behind it but both over the 52m mark. So we can all only increase our bills by 4m per year according to this, but we have a lot of deadweight to get rid of and I think we can all agree that we could get a serious squad with our wage bill (if we get rid of deadweight, most is gone in the summer anyway). We really just need to restructure our wages in order to attract the top players, Spurs and Everton need to increase theirs and this would only allow them to do it by 4m per year. It won't allow us to catch up with City or United's wage bills though.

Personally I think its anti-competitive and only suits the top teams, that 52m mark should be more like 100m, but I guess the overall goal is to make the clubs sustainable and with revenues increasing by way more than 4m per year they will become more sustainable automatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

AdamD wrote: »
    I think this suits us rather well actually. We are on ~150m per year, Liverpool are supposed to be a decent bit behind that, Everton and Spurs are miles behind it but both over the 52m mark. So we can all only increase our bills by 4m per year according to this, but we have a lot of deadweight to get rid of and I think we can all agree that we could get a serious squad with our wage bill (if we get rid of deadweight, most is gone in the summer anyway). We really just need to restructure our wages in order to attract the top players, Spurs and Everton need to increase theirs and this would only allow them to do it by 4m per year. It won't allow us to catch up with City or United's wage bills though.

Personally I think its anti-competitive and only suits the top teams, that 52m mark should be more like 100m, but I guess the overall goal is to make the clubs sustainable and with revenues increasing by way more than 4m per year they will become more sustainable automatically.

Who've we got going this summer. Squillachi and Arshavin anyway. Chamakh too?

Surely that's the job of the manager, the coaching squad and the players. Surely as a supporter I'm allowed the occasional what if ?

That's a fair point and I completely agree with what you're saying. Just sometimes the thread has a tendency to get swept off in hyperbole. I think though we need to keep our sensible heads on till we're in a lot more comfortable position.

I still think we have a number of tough games coming up, so we're far from home and dry. However we just got to keep looking at the next game, and remaining focussed, as it's served us well the last three matches in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

That's a fair point and I completely agree with what you're saying. Just sometimes the thread has a tendency to get swept off in hyperbole. I think though we need to keep our sensible heads on till we're in a lot more comfortable position.

I still think we have a number of tough games coming up, so we're far from home and dry. However we just got to keep looking at the next game, and remaining focussed, as it's served us well the last three matches in the league.

Agree with you completely but just to add that the tendency to get carried away with the positive vibes etc, happens to an even greater extreme in the opposite direction when things a going wrong. Obviously we as gunners are very emotional and hormonal beasts :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Who've we got going this summer. Squillachi and Arshavin anyway. Chamakh too?

Fabianski is another, not sure on contracts though tbh. I know Denilson and Rosicky have 1 year left. Googled it and some blog had this:

UNTIL SUMMER 2013 (Expiring)
    Fabianski – Squillaci – Arshavin – Frimpong?

UNTIL SUMMER 2014 (1 year left)
    Mannone – Sagna – Denilson – Rosicky – Bendtner – Chamakh

That's a decent amount of wages you can invest in other, plus 4m per year which is an 80k player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Steven Gerrard is ahead of Thierry on that pole on Sky Sports, thats an absolute disgrace, everyone who hasnt voted should vote now!
    http://www1.skysports.com/pfa/28574/8549987/Thierry-Henry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Raf32 wrote: »
    Steven Gerrard is ahead of Thierry on that pole on Sky Sports, thats an absolute disgrace, everyone who hasnt voted should vote now!

It's a sky sports poll, who cares??? We'll pick Henry and Liverpool fans will pick Gerrard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

After seeing Adebayor laughing and smiling after missing that penalty for Spurs yesterday I'm so glad he doesn't play for us anymore.

It's a silly poll. Christiano Ronaldo only has 2.2% of the votes.

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    After seeing Adebayor laughing and smiling after missing that penalty for Spurs yesterday I'm so glad he doesn't play for us anymore.

If you think his peno miss was bad, check out his game-to-goal ratio in the league this season.

He's 29 anyway, so his career has peaked. I reckon his Premiership days are nearing an end.

Don't believe it for a second!! Bet you were raging when he ran the length of the pitch for Man City and dived in front of yere away fans.

You could tell by the gimp walk up and run of him he was going to make a balls of, I certainly chuckled, he is the definition of a mercenary and so much of what is wrong in the modern game.

Don't believe it for a second!! Bet you were raging when he ran the length of the pitch for Man City and dived in front of yere away fans.

:pac::pac: ah man give up, you really think we want him playing for us? Have you not seen his performances? Think about this one now.

You think there is even one Arsenal fan out there that would want him back at the club?? I would genuinely have Bendtner play 38 league games a season rather than see that 'person' pull on the Arsenal jersey again.

• Advertisement

He always starts with a bang whenever he joins a new club and puts in a few memorable performances, then he just seems to get bored.

The next club he plays for needs to keep him on a monthly rolling contract - I think he needs that kind of motivation to perform at his best.

:pac::pac: ah man give up, you really think we want him playing for us? Have you not seen his performances? Think about this one now.

I think he'll come good yet, some signs of coming back in to form lately. I'd swap him for Giroud though. Giroud is top quality, he is some boy to get in to positions to score. Christ I gotta get out of here before I turn in to one of ye lot!...........:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I am getting the feeling Arsenal and Tottenham will both get top 4!

Chelsea have some schedule of games coming up and I'm hoping for a draw on Sunday :D although Chelsea may throw the game rather than try and fit another game in. If our squad was stronger in depth I wouldn't mind being in their position - however there's no way our current squad could cope with such a crowded end to season though.

Gotta say having seeing the europa league semi final draw not too dissapointed now. I think one cup final against Chelsea in May is enough. I fully expect Arsenal to get 3rd and us and chelski to fight out for 4th. Hopefully having to play every 3 days for the next 6 weeks will wear chelski down.

I think Chelsea have too much strenght in depth to drop to fifth. The only way it might happen is if Rafa decides to give up on the league and focus on the two cups.

Don't believe it for a second!!

I'd probably trade him for Arshavin or Chamakh, but certainly not Giroud, Walcott or Podolski. Heck, even Gervinho is having a better season!
    Bet you were raging when he ran the length of the pitch for Man City and dived in front of yere away fans.

Oh for sure. That was hard to take. That said, his City career nosedived not too long after that.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I think Chelsea have too much strenght in depth to drop to fifth. The only way it might happen is if Rafa decides to give up on the league and focus on the two cups.

You'd never know. He just might do that. He knows he's gone at the end of the season so Chelsea playing Champions League football means nothing to him. Two trophies in half a season would look good on his CV though.

One of Wenger's greatest achievements was getting £25m for that waste of space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Rumour has it that the Jovetic deal is already done lads. Hope its like the Podolski deal and is all kept under wraps until hes officially a Gooner :-)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement