Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

TheBza wrote: »
    Did it take you 3 days to come up with that one?

A poor attempt at humour, my apologies :D

Good to get the win in the end yesterday but we still have plenty to do to get top 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Arsenal being linked on twitter to Loic Remy.
    Would Arsenal fans like him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

amiable wrote: »

I'd rather Jovetic.. But would I'd take him if there was no one else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Off topic BUT .....

Why didn't we break the bank for Juan Mata? What a player. So intelligent.

we did but could not match his 200k wage that chelsea offered

• Advertisement

we did but could not match his 200k wage that chelsea offered

Chelsea didn't give him a £200k per week contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

He'd certainly offer something different. He'd fit in with AW's penchant for playing strikers on the wing as well. I'd take him for £7-10m and less than 80k/wk wages. Fact is, he'd only be borderline starter if he were with us.

I think what we really need are players of the ilk of Suarez to take us some way towards the next level. Liverpool paid £20m for him and he's turned out to be super value for that. Its the type of buy Arsenal need to be making. Jovetic fits that bill imo.

I think we haven't adequately replaced Alex Song, potentially need a centre half partner for Koscielny as I'm unconvinced by either of the incumbents, we need to sign Sagna up to a new contract and after that its about getting rid of the Squillaci and Arshavin's of the squad and having 20 guys who can all potentially contribute.

I really liked the signing of Monreal because it added depth, quality and competition to that position. Similar situations all over the pitch would be welcomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

blobby360 wrote: »
    I'd rather Jovetic.. But would I'd take him if there was no one else.

My take on it is Remy is Europa league and jovetic champions league
    - could be complete rubbish but it might work out that way

greendom wrote: »
    My take on it is Remy is Europa league and jovetic champions league
    - could be complete rubbish but it might work out that way

Rumours of Mario Gotze too who I do believe would be an excellent player for Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I actually didn't realise we were on the same games played as Spurs now as well as being ahead of them. Score!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Rumours of Mario Gotze too who I do believe would be an excellent player for Arsenal

Why would he leave the cl semi finalists to come to arsenal?here's hoping though

Why would he leave the cl semi finalists to come to arsenal?here's hoping though

Why did Paulo Sousa and Paul Lambert leave them after they won the competition in 1997?
    Stefan Klos joined Glasgow Rangers a year later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Why did Paulo Sousa and Paul Lambert leave them after they won the competition in 1997?
    Stefan Klos joined Glasgow Rangers a year later.

Don't get me wrong I would love it,but I remember his interview where he basically laughed at arsenal,when asked about joining them.

Don't get me wrong I would love it,but I remember his interview where he basically laughed at arsenal,when asked about joining them.

I remember not long before Coutinho joined Liverpool he said he wanted to stay at Inter.
    Similar story with Fabio Borini. My point is footballers often have their reasons and don't say what they mean.
    Sometimes clubs pull off what can be described as a right coup as other clubs aren't willing to take the risk.
    I'm sorry to know another Liverpool example but not many were willing to take the risk on him at £20 million. He's easily worth double that now and every club in Europe admired him at Ajax :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Link? I've only really ever seen him say that he's happy at Dortmund etc. Which is fair enough as it's a fine club and he's settled there.

I like the look of Remy myself. That goal last week was top drawer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I'm pretty sure he said the only clubs he'd go too were Barca and us.

Or something along those lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Walcott 18 (11)
    Giroud 17 (11)
    Podolski 14 (10)

Cazorla 12 (12)
    Gervinho 7 (5)
    Arteta 6 (6)
    Rosicky 3 (2)
    Koscielny 3 (1)
    Mr. Owen Goal 3 (3)
    Chamakh 2 (0)
    Mertesacker 2 (2)
    Oxlade-Chamberlain 2 (1)
    Wilshere 2 (0)
    Arshavin 1 (0)
    Gibbs 1 (0)
    Miquel 1 (0)
    Monreal 1 (1)
    Ramsey 1 (0)
    Vermaelen 1 (0)

(League goals in brackets)

Race for our top scorer is looking tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Its hard to believe giroud has scored 17 goals:o

• Advertisement

One thing i picked up on yesterday was our awful habit of passing it back to a man with opposition closing in on them. Could this be a contributor to our injuries?
    Also just looking at MOTD2 we are the second lowest corners converted to goals in the league and thats no surprise as we are extremely wasteful. How many have we won and is there any where i could get that stat in order to establish the goals from corners to corners won ratio.

Not bad for a flop is he?

Galvasean wrote: »

Bergkamp only scored 11 in his first full season. Granted Giroud is no Bergkamp (very few are) but he can make a huge contribution to Arsenal FC the next few seasons should he stay at the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

It's insane that he has a very good chance of breaking 20 goals and people still consider him a flop. He's going to be a big player for us if he can keep it up.

Bergkamp only scored 11 in his first full season. Granted Giroud is no Bergkamp (very few are) but he can make a huge contribution to Arsenal FC the next few seasons should he stay at the club

He's no battering ram either; love when he whips out the sand wedge for those little chips into the paths of Walcott/Cazorla/Jack et al from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Whose style of play is comparable to Bergkamp's? I can't think of anyone. I'm not saying he was the best in the world, he was just very unique, like Henry.

Galvasean wrote: »

I like the guy and hes had alot of pressure on his shoulders with very big boots to fill after rvp left but hes not good enough to play as a sole striker if we want to stride for trophies lets be honest to ourselves there.

Whose style of play is comparable to Bergkamp's? I can't think of anyone. I'm not saying he was the best in the world, he was just very unique, like Henry.

Its hard to think of someone that is similar because he was so unique but i would of loved to see him and berbatov both playing upfront together i think berbatov is a rare footballing genius maybe not to bergkamps level but the two would produce some special moments together no doubt

The closest in terms of style was probably that man we no longer mention also from Holland :D

• Advertisement

I don't think his assist tally is too shabby either. Now he's settled watch him take off next season (not to Bergkamp levels obviously)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I like the guy and hes had alot of pressure on his shoulders with very big boots to fill after rvp left but hes not good enough to play as a sole striker if we want to stride for trophies lets be honest to ourselves there.
    I think there are enough goals in the team to get us trophies. It's consistency and solidity that we've most lacked. Obviously another attacking signing wouldn't go amiss, but considering that Walcott, Giroud, Podolski and Cazorla have 61 goals between them already (44 in the league), and each bar Walcott is in their first season, I don't think that could be called a problem area for us. Giroud is definitely good enough, if the team can find some consistency. Having another player we are willing to call a central striker would be good though, to add some competition.

Giroud's season has been better than any Arsenal striker's debut season since Henry. Some perspective is needed, I think. What more did people want?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

I think there are enough goals in the team to get us trophies. It's consistency and solidity that we've most lacked. Obviously another attacking signing wouldn't go amiss, but considering that Walcott, Giroud, Podolski and Cazorla have 61 goals between them already (44 in the league), and each bar Walcott is in their first season, I don't think that could be called a problem area for us. Giroud is definitely good enough, if the team can find some consistency. Having another player we are willing to call a central striker would be good though, to add some competition.

Giroud's season has been better than any Arsenal striker's debut season since Henry. Some perspective is needed, I think. What more did people want?

We can use statistics to analyse Giroud any which way we want, but the long and the short of it is that he is not good enough to be first choice striker if Arsenal are serious about competing.

He is Sylvan Wiltord. We have no Henry or Bergkamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

meriwether wrote: »
    We can use statistics to analyse Giroud any which way we want, but the long and the short of it is that he is not good enough to be first choice striker if Arsenal are serious about competing.

But...but...Wiltord was black:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

To be honest I think he's definitely good enough to be first choice striker. He is no Bergkamp or Henry but no-one is. He can certainly fade in and out of games, but his goal tally and general play have been very impressive. The thing I've been most impressed with is his passion. Much like Podolski I look seeing them when they score a goal.

Wenger hinted on the official site that he will play Podolski at CF more often in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Whatever about playing him at centre forward, I wish he'd just play him anywhere more often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Anyone else worried about Everton 2mrw? They are in a good run of form. Can see it being a tricky game. Would ye start Wilshere again after him looking off the pace on Saturday?

Shane St. wrote: »
    Anyone else worried about Everton 2mrw? They are in a good run of form. Can see it being a tricky game. Would ye start Wilshere again after him looking off the pace on Saturday?

No Rosicky all the way, presuming he's fit that is.

As to Podolski, I'd agree I'd like to see him more often. I think he may well start tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

greendom wrote: »
    No Rosicky all the way, presuming he's fit that is.

Anybody know whether Rosicky is back for tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Shane St. wrote: »

As an Everton fan i cant see us getting a win, maybe a point. Under Moyes we havent beaten Arsenal away in 10 years. We have been starting games very slowly. Cant afford to do that tomorrow. If we get ahead it will be interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Arseblog days he's back for this one. I'd start him ahead of Jack who was very poor on Saturday. We need to ease him back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Everton in third spot though. I'm very nervous about this game tomorrow.

Arsenal.com says yes.

I think Wenger made a big gamble resting so many players against Norwich, but having gotten the 3 points we should have lots of fresh players who should have enough in the tank to beat Everton. Nacho, Walcott, Podolski and Rosicky can all slot right into the starting XI.
    Everton had pretty much their strongest team* out against QPR on Saturday, so hopefully they'll be a bit tired and we can overwhelm them.

*Jelavic was on the bench, but his form hasn't been good so he seems to have lost his spot to Anichebe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

So I have statistics and what my eyes tell me (that he's a good player, with excellent general play who has been adjusting this season and so been a little hot and cold) on one hand, and your completely unjustified (ie. you haven't said why at all) opinion on the other. I know which one seems more reliable, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

5 of our last 6 games are in London, should be somewhat helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭hsbc

Is Ox due a start or is he more suited to an impact role off the bench?

hsbc wrote: »
    Is Ox due a start or is he more suited to an impact role off the bench?

Bench for now, I would think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

So I have statistics and what my eyes tell me (that he's a good player, with excellent general play who has been adjusting this season and so been a little hot and cold) on one hand, and your completely unjustified (ie. you haven't said why at all) opinion on the other. I know which one seems more reliable, tbh.

I can't speak for meriwether but I'd agree that I don't believe Giroud is of the quality Arsenal need to be fighting for champions league/league. I'm going based on what my eyes tell me also in that he's a decent player but not of the level of someone like van Persie. I know it's his first season but he strikes me as someone lacking that world class quality needed. Would be more than happy to be proven wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

You have stats, but you don't have meaningful stats or don't have them in the correct context.

For instance, your stat that his debut season is the best since Henry's is all sorts of meh. What does it mean? RVP had a slow season when he joined, but was 21, and we had Henry at full strength. RVP then developed
    Am I supposed to believe that Giroud is better than RVP? Or Adebayor? Because he isn't.

He's better than Chamakh, but so what?

He's not good enough to lead the Arsenal line as first choice striker. There is no stat thaat can prove he is good enough to do this, because no stat exists that will, apart from misconstrued stats.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement