Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

I can't speak for meriwether but I'd agree that I don't believe Giroud is of the quality Arsenal need to be fighting for champions league/league. I'm going based on what my eyes tell me also in that he's a decent player but not of the level of someone like van Persie. I know it's his first season but he strikes me as someone lacking that world class quality needed. Would be more than happy to be proven wrong.

You won't be. He is a very good alternative, or squad striker.

He's good for 15-20 goals a season, in all competitions, without excessively troubling the best teams defences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

greendom wrote: »
    No Rosicky all the way, presuming he's fit that is.

As to Podolski, I'd agree I'd like to see him more often. I think he may well start tomorrow

I'd play the same team, except with Walcott and Podolski coming in for Gervinho and Wilshere. Cazorla in the centre again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

meriwether wrote: »
    We can use statistics to analyse Giroud any which way we want, but the long and the short of it is that he is not good enough to be first choice striker if Arsenal are serious about competing.

He is Sylvan Wiltord. We have no Henry or Bergkamp.

I think you are being a bit harsh.
    He has only completed a season and has had to settle and adjust to a new system

Judge him after next season.
    I think he will be massive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I too am worried about the Everton game. They have a big midfield and they are very good at the late runs into the box. We will have to be on our toes as they will be serious trouble in the air.
    Anyone know if Mert is back tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

I too am worried about the Everton game. They have a big midfield and they are very good at the late runs into the box. We will have to be on our toes as they will be serious trouble in the air.
    Anyone know if Mert is back tomorrow?

He is back yeah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Fabianski got a kick to the ribs, so Szczesny back in the starting line-up, but for how long? Fabianski hasn't put a foot wrong since he replaced Szczesny.

As for Giroud: he's a great second striker, I love his touch and vision, his height also give him aerial command. Play Podolski on the left and all we need is a striker to replace van Persie's 30/40 goals a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Fabianski got a kick to the ribs, so Szczesny back in the starting line-up, but for how long? Fabianski hasn't put a foot wrong since he replaced Szczesny.

As for Giroud: he's a great second striker, I love his touch and vision, his height also give him aerial command. Play Podolski on the left and all we need is a striker to replace van Persie's 30/40 goals a season.

But this is the problem. Who could we buy to get that many goals?

Jovetic? he's only scored 12 this season...

Remy? 39 goals in 95 for Marseille...

When you look at the strikers we can afford, Giroud don't look to bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Arsenal vs Wigan will now be played on Tuesday 14th May, live on Sky Sports. Kick off 7:45pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

meriwether wrote: »
    You won't be. He is a very good alternative, or squad striker.

He's good for 15-20 goals a season, in all competitions, without excessively troubling the best teams defences.
    That's exactly what he has done this year, except the bit about not troubling good teams, I suppose, given that he scored against Spain, Spurs, Schalke and Bayern this season. You mean to say that he has done as well as he will ever do in his first season then? He couldn't possibly improve next season? That strikes me as absurd.

17 goals and 12 assists (I was surprised to read the assist stat, which is here http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/olivier-giroud/leistungsdaten/spieler_82442.html#WMQ6) in a debut season so far is pretty damn good.

• Advertisement

blobby360 wrote: »
    But this is the problem. Who could we buy to get that many goals?

Jovetic? he's only scored 12 this season...

Remy? 39 goals in 95 for Marseille...

When you look at the strikers we can afford, Giroud don't look to bad.

A few affordable lads here:

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/spieler/goldenerschuh/basics.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

This season's Giroud wouldn't be the player to lead you to trophies but I've no doubt he'll improve.

Drogba was good in France and then scored 16 in his first season at Chelsea ... and that was an awesome Chelsea team.

Giroud's very young for the type of player he is. Fully expect him to come in leaps and bounds.

The mistake though would be acting as though this is guaranteed and not signing anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,121 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Cavani would be my ultimate signing this summer. I think he will be priced out of our range though.

Jovetic for me is a close second. I'm not too pushed on Remy but would take him as a backup if all other deals fell through.

A tackling midfielder who doesn't mind doing the hard work is what we most need in my opinion.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Cavani would be my ultimate signing this summer. I think he will be priced out of our range though.

Jovetic for me is a close second. I'm not too pushed on Remy but would take him as a backup if all other deals fell through.

A tackling midfielder who doesn't mind doing the hard work is what we most need in my opinion.

Agree. A while back I figured we might be OK but then someone pointed out how many goals we've conceded this year from balls straight through the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Can't wait for us to sign some obscure french division two fella. We need to build for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Is it true we have a 4million buy back clause in Carlos Vela's contract?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Funny around this time last year the Podolski talk started aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

blobby360 wrote: »
    Is it true we have a 4million buy back clause in Carlos Vela's contract?

Would I be right in saying that Vela never really enjoyed his time at Arsenal?
    Doubt he would want to come back if that was the case, and would like to think that Arsenal will have their sights set a bit higher than Carlos even though he does seem to be doing well for himself in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

on transfer talk, in the papers at the weekend they were saying Wenger was going to spend the 70mil & also push some young lads on (Gnabry, Zelalem, Bellerin)

all mention were:

£30mil bid for Gotze, £10mil for Capoue, Reina in the one story i think

then another reckoned a bid will be made for Adler of around 5mil as Begovic will be too expensive - 15mil or so.

today it's reported Gotze's agent said this
    ‘Mario has not even thought about leaving Dortmund in 2013. He is totally not interested in that and will stay at least another season.’
    and Gotze had this to say himself before
    ‘I am very happy at Dortmund and satisfied with the way we are progressing as a team,’ ‘Any thoughts about playing for another team are very much for the future, but Real Madrid, Barcelona or Manchester United could be interesting.’

Valdes another keeper linked to arsenal, his agent said this
    “What's new in the case Valdés? Out of respect for Victor and Barca, I will not say anything,” Gines Carvajal told Radio Marca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Capoue is claiming that he's off to PSG in the Summer

Capoue is claiming that he's off to PSG in the Summer

where do you see that?

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »
    where do you see that?

Matt Spiro ‏@mattspiro 1h
    Capoue tells @beinsport he thinks he's 'very close' to joining PSG. 'There was contact this winter, more since & hopefully more to follow."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    on transfer talk, in the papers at the weekend they were saying Wenger was going to spend the 70mil & also push some young lads on (Gnabry, Zelalem, Bellerin)

all mention were:

£30mil bid for Gotze, £10mil for Capoue, Reina in the one story i think

then another reckoned a bid will be made for Adler of around 5mil as Begovic will be too expensive - 15mil or so.

today it's reported Gotze's agent said this
    ‘Mario has not even thought about leaving Dortmund in 2013. He is totally not interested in that and will stay at least another season.’
    and Gotze had this to say himself before
    ‘I am very happy at Dortmund and satisfied with the way we are progressing as a team,’ ‘Any thoughts about playing for another team are very much for the future, but Real Madrid, Barcelona or Manchester United could be interesting.’

Valdes another keeper linked to arsenal, his agent said this
    “What's new in the case Valdés? Out of respect for Victor and Barca, I will not say anything,” Gines Carvajal told Radio Marca.

I said yesterday to forget about players like gotze,we are not that attractive anymore let's be honest.

Matt Spiro ‏@mattspiro 1h
    Capoue tells @beinsport he thinks he's 'very close' to joining PSG. 'There was contact this winter, more since & hopefully more to follow."

i seen it on L'equipe there, this is the google translation of it

On departure from Toulouse, Etienne Capua could join PSG in the summer. " There were contacts this winter, and there are today. I hope there will be many. This is probably very close with them today. (...) I'm still a big fan of PSG, so this is a dream for me , "said the French international midfielder on bein Sport. He assured to be " ready for competition , "he also emphasized his desire to" play the Champions League "and has not ruled out the Premier League.

he said this too, http://www.le10sport.com/football/mercato/capoue-jaime-bien-langleterre-et-lallemagne101679

Announced the departure at the end of the season, Etienne Capua do not yet know what his future holds. However, the Toulouse midfielder has an idea on the issue as it has some preferred destinations in mind. Asked microphone beINSPORT he made ​​the point on this, including opening the door to England and Germany.

"I want to play in the Champions League"
    "C ela would not mind to stay in France, but it is less competitive clubs in Europe. I want to play in the Champions League. Anyway, this is above all a personal choice, and if I am right after I play. It is never 100% certain to hold, it is a risk worth taking. If I play football is to win and have a track record. A top club for me is playing with the Champions League. I love England, but the Bundesliga attracts me , "said the French international.

Sounds like a bit of a tart tbh.

Fabianski a major doubt for tomorrow. If he doesn't make it who will be in goals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Fabianski a major doubt for tomorrow. If he doesn't make it who will be in goals?

Szczesny

There was talk of Wenger being interested in Maxime Gonalons and with Lyon's apparent financial troubles, he might be able to pick him up on the cheap.

Before it even starts ......

We have no hope of landing any established big name players.

Basically anyone like Gotze (who has no need to leave Germany, despite what the English press would have you think) would only come to England for the fat 200k per week salary that City or Chelsea could offer.

Cavani - no hope, we'd be blown out of the water by PSG or someone.

Seriously lads, accept it now. Players like Monreal & Giroud, the odd gem like Cazorla and some players on their way down like Podski are the very very very best we're going to do.

Regardless of what crap you read, don't think that we're signing world beaters.

I mean look at Moura - he's a decent winger, pretty good actually but what was it - 43 million plus another 9 for agents fees?

We can't come anywhere close to that. For us it's sign the odd gem and watch this space for people like Ramsey, Waclott, Ox and Wilshire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

jgGkzji7oqvHl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Well I'll be damned. Never noticed he was so efficient at the aul tackling.

What do each of the abbreviations mean? The GD/min and AD/min don't make any sense whatever they are. Also none of the players on the list have made over 50 tackles, despite the heading.

He should play more deeper then because every time I see him in a forward position, he's fucking useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

He should play more deeper then because every time I see him in a forward position, he's fucking useless.

On the wing fair enough he finds it hard but in the middle the lad hasn't had the time in that position so I wouldn't rule him out. We have to remember he is still developing and can only get better. Exciting I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Buzzing for the match tonight rarely are we in a midweek game on sky.
    Itll be tough but 3 points are needed so come on arsenal get up outa dat:Dha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Anyone else feel this is like the Newcastle game at home towards the end last year? Hopefully same result :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

There was talk of Wenger being interested in Maxime Gonalons and with Lyon's apparent financial troubles, he might be able to pick him up on the cheap.

Gonalons is quality. I'd take him easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

We definitely need a new keeper in the summer I would love us to make a move for Julio Cesar, only 33 years of age. Reminds me of when Van Der Saar went to Fulham then joined Utd and look how good he was for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Gringo180 wrote: »
    We definitely need a new keeper in the summer I would love us to make a move for Julio Cesar, only 33 years of age. Reminds me of when Van Der Saar went to Fulham then joined Utd and look how good he was for them.

Could we afford hes wages though?, god knows how much he is on at QPR.

• Advertisement

TheBza wrote: »
    Could we afford hes wages though?, god knows how much he is on at QPR.

I wouldn't imagine he would be on more than 80k a week so I reckon he's well within our range. With QPR looking very likely to get relegated we could get him on the cheap and he may also be willing to take a pay cut. World class keeper he is.

Yea, i'd take him or Valdés in a heartbeat

gosplan wrote: »
    Before it even starts ......

We have no hope of landing any established big name players.

Oh it's started & it will continue

NO NEED TO BE A BUZZKILL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

I would never ever take Valdes. Might take Cesar but its the 3rd team that will be relegated who we should take the keeper. Mignolet, Krul, Begovic are the ones. Adler seems to be the other keeper linked and he looks quite decent

TheBza wrote: »
    NO NEED TO BE A BUZZKILL

I'm the buzzkill?
    He's the one trying to kill all the transfer buzz
    before the end of april

• Advertisement

Arshavin and his £90k p/w wage packet are leaving in the summer. Should be able to pay someone good with that spare cash.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Arshavin and his £90k p/w wage packet are leaving in the summer. Should be able to pay someone good with that spare cash.

might be able to get someone from the conference according to gosplan and his bunch of transfer speculation killing army :pac:

TheGunns wrote: »
    I would never ever take Valdes. Might take Cesar but its the 3rd team that will be relegated who we should take the keeper. Mignolet, Krul, Begovic are the ones. Adler seems to be the other keeper linked and he looks quite decent

I would rate Cesar above all of them, Begovic would be my second choice tho.

Upon signing of Julio Cesar,
    "He's an over the hill clown BIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLL............."

Galvasean wrote: »
    Upon signing of Julio Cesar,
    "He's an over the hill clown BIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLL............."

They really would make you laugh wouldn't they, I think we are the team to hate amongst alot of pundits, the time Wenger had that outburst (I wouldnt even call it that) at one of the press conferences a few months ago the media totally blew it out of all proportion, but when the likes of Ferguson decides to walk out of a press conference over a question or refuses to turn up nothing is said and everything seems to be rosey :eek:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement