Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Right it's that time of the season again

Lets sign mvila and all our troubles will go away :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

but we already missed that boat ;(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Chelsea-Spurs is now on May 8th.

Tough few days for Chelsea - Basel, Utd and Spurs in just 6 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

I remember constant rumours linking us with Patrice Loko (French defender) and Marcelo Gallardo (Argentinian) when I was a chisler.

jester77 wrote: »
    Chelsea-Spurs is now on May 8th.

Tough few days for Chelsea - Basel, Utd and Spurs in just 6 days.

Thats a real shame.

Win tonight and its in the bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

meriwether wrote: »
    Thats a real shame.

Win tonight and its in the bag.

Win tonight and we'll be able to see the bag that we have to put it in :)

greendom wrote: »
    Win tonight and we'll be able to see the bag that we have to put it in :)

It will be a bag with a tag that says: "This bag is not a toy. Keep away from children. This bag is only to be used for storing a top four finish"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I remember constant rumours linking us with Patrice Loko (French defender) and Marcelo Gallardo (Argentinian) when I was a chisler.

And Trezeguet, nearly every season we were linked with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Tonight is HUGE!!

Nervous like a cup final (if we were ever in one :D)

Good nervous tho. Everton have to win so they should come out and attack us which will leave space

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

Pretty sure Patrice Loko was a striker? I used to try and move heaven and hell to make him a gooner in Championship manager 96/97 but he would never come :(
    Goal machine isn't the word! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

In work tonight, if there one thing worse than being on the edge of your seat watching a big game, it checking your phone every few seconds like a lunatic for updates.

Really nervous about tonights game. Im going to be brave though and go with a 2-1 win.

OH AND IM GOING TO GO AGAINST GOSPLAN AND SAY IT NOW, WE WILL MAKE A BIG SIGNING THIS SUMMER!!! SOMEONE HAS TO HAVE FAITH..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

In work tonight, if there one thing worse than being on the edge of your seat watching a big game, it checking your phone every few seconds like a lunatic for updates.

Really nervous about tonights game. Im going to be brave though and go with a 2-1 win.

OH AND IM GOING TO GO AGAINST GOSPLAN AND SAY IT NOW, WE WILL MAKE A BIG SIGNING THIS SUMMER!!! SOMEONE HAS TO HAVE FAITH..

I think we might as well. Prob not a big signing in City or Chelsea terms but a big signing for Arsenal

Loko was a striker but yes your right we were linked with him back in 1996. Before Bixente Lizarazu went to Bayern though i can remember reading on Sky text that we had agreed a deal to sign him though whatever happened at the 11th hour it must have fell through or perhaps there was no truth in it to begin with. Rioch was our manager at the time.

Loko was a bit of a bad boy in fact. Think he was up for assaulting a french 'ban garda' around the same time :)

Gallardo was the baby faced player who excelled for Argentina at the 1998 world cup. Eventually had 2 spells in France and a spell with DC United before returning to River Plate where it all began for him. We eventually signed Vivas from that team and while Vivas had great heart, he just seemed to lack that reading of the game like Lee Dixon had that time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Surprise, surprise.

" Rigobert Song on Alex Song: "Alex is not happy, at Arsenal he was a leader on and off the field, he doesn't feel like this in Spain."

Gringo180 wrote: »
    And Trezeguet, nearly every season we were linked with him.

If only we had bought Trezeguet instead of Jeffers that summer. A fox in the box if there ever was one.

He would have absolutely banged them in in the Premiership and up front alongside Henry with Pires and Freddy on the wing....god almighty we would have definitely taken that league we pissed away in 03

A thing i pondered about the other day is why we didnt go for Drogba instead of Reyes in the January transfer window of 04.

Drog had been terrifying Europe's best defences in the CL that season and whilst Reyes had potential i would doubt Drog would have been bullied in that game at old trafford in November 04 unlike Reyes was which Drog subsequently went on to prove.

Granted Drog cost Chelsea something like 27m but well worth it when you consider the many flops Wenger has bought. Great coach Wenger but a strange man at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,121 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

We eventually signed Vivas from that team and while Vivas had great heart, he just seemed to lack that reading of the game like Lee Dixon had that time
    I'll never forgive Vivas for allowing Hasselbank's header go in over him when he was on the post in 99 and handed United the title that year. :(

TheBza wrote: »
    Surprise, surprise.

" Rigobert Song on Alex Song: "Alex is not happy, at Arsenal he was a leader on and off the field, he doesn't feel like this in Spain."

Good.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I'll never forgive Vivas for allowing Hasselbank's header go in over him when he was on the post in 99 and handed United the title that year. :(

That broke my heart. Absolutely caught rotten with his trousers down ball watching.

That said though in Nelsons defence, Hasselbaink had a fierce knack of scoring on us that time. He scored on us twice in 97/98 and i think again at highbury the following season before that ending our title hopes in that game at Elland Rd.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »

I remember that goal vividly. 0-1 in Elland road?

I don't think a draw was enough either though.

A thing i pondered about the other day is why we didnt go for Drogba instead of Reyes in the January transfer window of 04.

Drog had been terrifying Europe's best defences in the CL that season and whilst Reyes had potential i would doubt Drog would have been bullied in that game at old trafford in November 04 unlike Reyes was which Drog subsequently went on to prove.

Granted Drog cost Chelsea something like 27m but well worth it when you consider the many flops Wenger has bought. Great coach Wenger but a strange man at times.
    Reyes was class.

That signing was the equivilant of getting reus today - signing one of Europes best young players.
    It was a massive statement.

He was good for a while - got 2 against someone in FA cup (Liverpool? Chelsea?)

I remember that goal vividly. 0-1 in Elland road?

I don't think a draw was enough either though.

We had beaten 'Not-so-hot Spuds' at the lane and we were 4 points away from the title. Beat Leeds and all we had to do was draw against Aston Villa at Highbury on the Sunday. It was devastating.
    We only lost 4 games (all by a single goal lead) and conceded a mere 17 that season whilst playing some lovely football. Wreh dried up and Boamorte wasnt good enough and while Bergkamp, Anelka ( and later Kanu) were all flying, we paid 3m for Kaba Diawara who absolutely bombed. Granted he did need more time to settle into English football but for the sake of one more year we surely could have held on to Wrighty. He could have been the difference.

You wouldnt mind the very following night Ashley Ward missed an open goal against United which ultimately sealed Blackburns fate.

Of course the other lucky shower got Spuds the last day of the season and while Spuds took the lead id say Les Ferdinand wasnt too happy when he realised he could be the man to help Arsenal win the title. United beat them 2-1.

No harm to go back to Spurs 5 years down the line and win it there again.

Reyes was class.

That signing was the equivilant of getting reus today - signing one of Europes best young players.

I get what your saying and its unfortunate that physicality was his achilles heel but im shocked Wenger didnt cop this before shelling out that money. Yes he was absolutely flying for a while and many would argue that he hadnt the same level of understanding on the field with Henry after the Luis Aragones incident. Many in fact on the Arsenal forums were criticising Henry for not giving him a ball and it was after that incident that people had began to pick up on this. Then in early 2005, he was caught out doing what Rangers sacked a player for recently

I get what your saying and its unfortunate that physicality was his achilles heel but im shocked Wenger didnt cop this before shelling out that money. Yes he was absolutely flying for a while and many would argue that he hadnt the same level of understanding on the field with Henry after the Luis Aragones incident. Many in fact on the Arsenal forums were criticising Henry for not giving him a ball and it was after that incident that people had began to pick up on this. Then in early 2005, he was caught out doing what Rangers sacked a player for recently

I should have said 'he was class - before he turned sh1t'.

He scored them 2 goals v Chelsea in the cup in 2004 btw. Sweet left foot for the equaliser

• Advertisement

We had beaten 'Not-so-hot Spuds' at the lane and we were 4 points away from the title. Beat Leeds and all we had to do was draw against Aston Villa at Highbury on the Sunday. It was devastating.
    We only lost 4 games (all by a single goal lead) and conceded a mere 17 that season whilst playing some lovely football. Wreh dried up and Boamorte wasnt good enough and while Bergkamp, Anelka ( and later Kanu) were all flying, we paid 3m for Kaba Diawara who absolutely bombed. Granted he did need more time to settle into English football but for the sake of one more year we surely could have held on to Wrighty. He could have been the difference.

You wouldnt mind the very following night Ashley Ward missed an open goal against United which ultimately sealed Blackburns fate.

Of course the other lucky shower got Spuds the last day of the season and while Spuds took the lead id say Les Ferdinand wasnt too happy when he realised he could be the man to help Arsenal win the title. United beat them 2-1.

No harm to go back to Spurs 5 years down the line and win it there again.

Kaba Diawara.

[say that in the same way as Jules Winnifield says 'Royale with Cheese' - sort of a chuckle to emphasise the ridiculousness of it all].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Nervous for the match tonight hope we can pull through.

I expect most people to be like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Reyes was class.

Gary Neville kicked football out of him aided and abetted by the referee.
    Was it Howard Webb? I forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Nervous but looking forward to it too. Huge game for both teams, Everton are a team and club I've a lot of respect for, I'd love to see them in a CL spot one day. Today is not that day though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Nervous about this seems we perform better without pressure,bayern been an example,but hopefully can pull a win out of the bag!

• Advertisement

Arsenal: Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs, Arteta, Ramsey, Wilshere, Cazorla, Walcott, Giroud

Hopefully Wilshere is fit, looked off the pace the weekend, would of started Podolski instead of Santi out on the wing.

*Podolski for wilshere of course, big game for Szczesny

So is Santi left winger?dunno how this will work,would have had ger pod or even ox there.

What does podolski have to do to start a game.

So is Santi left winger?dunno how this will work,would have had ger pod or even ox there.

Yep, santi out wing, bit weird wilshere starting after Wenger say he didnt want to rush him back today?

Huge game for Szczesny. Vermaelen dropped again, pretty sure he will be off in the summer. Wenger doesn't seem to fancy him anymore

TheGunns wrote: »
    Huge game for Szczesny. Vermaelen dropped again, pretty sure he will be off in the summer. Wenger doesn't seem to fancy him anymore

The curse of the captains arm band?

TheBza wrote: »
    The curse of the captains arm band?

Completely different though since the other 2 wanted away. Verm will be pushed

Different of course, but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Santi won't be playing specifically left wing. Look at the starting lineup in recent weeks. It's always been Rosicky or Wilshere playing through the middle but Santi will roam about across the front of the box. Only when we lose the ball you'll see him staying in that position on the left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Looking at the difference in size of the 2 teams particularly at midfield I can't help but wish for a Yaya Toure type player at Arsenal. A big bustling grafter.

Santi won't be playing specifically left wing. Look at the starting lineup in recent weeks. It's always been Rosicky or Wilshere playing through the middle but Santi will roam about across the front of the box. Only when we lose the ball you'll see him staying in that position on the left

Need to be wary of coleman up that left wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Who's the co-commentator -sounds like the Everton fan club president

Can tell straight away he is rooting for everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,121 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Did the ref forget his cards tonight?

Havent heard who your referring to but i would still bet Craig Burley is far more insufferable

Same old deficiencies and pig-headedness costing us again.

Giroud had 2 good chances to win it for us,not good enough from him.

Out of our hands again.

All in all not a bad point that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Good performance overall, you expect your CF to get 2 goals with those chances, would have coasted from there. There's definitely been a more pragmatic approach in recent games; sitting deeper, not bothered with having 60% possession. And you can see it in our defensive play. Ramsey's stepping it up game by game, he was our best player by a mile IMO.

Podolski for Giroud is needed I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement