Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

If Wenger is looking to get rid of podolski it has to be one of the strangest transfers ever.

What did he expect of him when he came if he just played him on the wing which in fact he has been good,considering his goals and assists.

If he was expecting more goals well he has to give him a chance upfront.hopefully he stays,I like what he brings to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I was amazed that Podolski didn't start against Norwich or Everton. With those games coming thick and fast I thought he'd have been nailed on. He's impressive when he comes on and has a very good goal/assist record for someone playing in and out of the team, not in his favoured position and not to mention 'first season in a new league' syndrome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

If Wenger is looking to get rid of podolski it has to be one of the strangest transfers ever.

What did he expect of him when he came if he just played him on the wing which in fact he has been good,considering his goals and assists.

If he was expecting more goals well he has to give him a chance upfront.hopefully he stays,I like what he brings to the team.

I think its more he wants out. He thought he would be a bigger player, all reports though so could be pure speculation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

The OX and Podolski have to start on Saturday, Walcott offered absolutely nothing. Think Wilshere needs to be left out looked very rusty the last two games doesn't have his short sharp passing, seems to be holding onto he ball too long was caught in possession too many times last night
    We are more of an attacking threat and our counter attack is much faster when th OX and podolski play they seem to be the only ones who wanna make runs in behind , Walcott is happy to get the ball and constantly lay it back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I'm convinced its journalists putting 2 and 2 together. The thinking goes "German International 108 caps can't get a game for Arsenal - can't be happy with that - must want out. Think I'll write a story to that effect tomorrow."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Looks like a bit of afters between Jack and Mirralles after the game. Best I can tell Miralles sprayed him with Lucozade and Wilshere went for him...

The OX and Podolski have to start on Saturday, Walcott offered absolutely nothing. Think Wilshere needs to be left out looked very rusty the last two games doesn't have his short sharp passing, seems to be holding onto he ball too long was caught in possession too many times last night
    We are more of an attacking threat and our counter attack is much faster when th OX and podolski play they seem to be the only ones who wanna make runs in behind , Walcott is happy to get the ball and constantly lay it back

He made some good runs against Norwich which helped turn the game in our favour. He got no change out of Baiines though, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Really can't see Podolski wanting to leave. Has it come from the papers trying to stir sh1t as usual? Judging from his tweets and his demeanour when he's on the pitch, he comes across as quite happy. After Wenger's "he's a centre forward" comment recently, it looks likely that he'll play him in that position at some stage, if not this season then next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,121 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Galvasean wrote: »
    Looks like a bit of afters between Jack and Mirralles after the game. Best I can tell Miralles sprayed him with Lucozade and Wilshere went for him...
    That was at half time was it not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Really can't see Podolski wanting to leave. Has it come from the papers trying to stir sh1t as usual? Judging from his tweets and his demeanour when he's on the pitch, he comes across as quite happy. After Wenger's "he's a centre forward" comment recently, it looks likely that he'll play him in that position at some stage, if not this season then next.

He looks pretty pleased here sitting on the bench

http://news.arseblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/podolski_laughing_onbench.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Wenger already said podolski don't have the hold up or link up play to be CF in this team that's why he not there

He also said he is working very hard with him in training and can see him there eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Wenger already said podolski don't have the hold up or link up play to be CF in this team that's why he not there

He also said he is working very hard with him in training and can see him there eventually

makes sense.

According to Forbes, we are now the fourth most valuable football club in the world:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/feedarticle/10751440

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Was a tight game last night i thought fellani deserved man of the match he ran the show if you ask me.
    Our players put in a good shift but just no spark upfront to penetrate when needed.
    Giroud just needs too many chances to score if you ask me im finding it hard to put faith in him tbh.
    I dont see why podolski isnt given a few matches at cf he is a better finisher than giroud and has more pace than him too????
    Giroud isnt doing terribly bad or anything but he just isnt soing enough either.
    Its his first season fair enough but we cant wait another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,495 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

For me the game at Fulham is extremely important and we will seriously struggle to beat an excellent team who have been good all year.
    This is a huge banana skin.
    We have struggled to get anything from Fulham in recent years and will have to be at our best.

This game really scares me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

For me the game at Fulham is extremely important and we will seriously struggle to beat an excellent team who have been good all year.
    This is a huge banana skin.
    We have struggled to get anything from Fulham in recent years and will have to be at our best.

This game really scares me.

At this stage of the season every game scares me ;).

At this stage of the season every game scares me ;).

Yes but I see lads on other forums giving us the 3 points for this visit to Fulham and I think it's madness. Fulham are a seriously good outfit.

I think dropping those points last night will come back to haunt us,were playing Fulham away then united,then qpr away,then a Wigan team fighting for their life,Newcastle last worries me too,spurs seem to have the best run in.

Let's say united beat us,maximum points from the other fixtures is a must.

Hope Fulham are as sh1t on Saturday as they are tonight.

Thank god for that,united can't win the league at ours now:)

• Advertisement

We'll probably have to beat them as it's going now.

Actually I'm wrong,they can be crowned next weekend,or game after against us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

They can if we give city a doing over at the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

They can if we give city a doing over at the weekend

No need to worry so. :p

If Utd are ten points clear after Villa fixture they have won it. In that case they come to the Emirates as winners, and our players will have to give the Dutch skunk a guard of honour. If they're nine points clear after Villa they need a draw at the Emirates to win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

I just want to beat United, and hopefully we won't have to 'honour' Van Persie beforehand. Will get a lot of stick from the fans though either way so that should be enjoyable :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

TheGunns wrote: »
    Will get a lot of stick from the fans though either way so that should be enjoyable :D

He won't care will he?...the reason he left was for medals and he's about to get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Chelsea are in a very strong position now. Between us and Spurs for 4th imo, so we will be needing Chelsea to at least get a point in the derby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

AdamD wrote: »
    Chelsea are in a very strong position now. Between us and Spurs for 4th imo, so we will be needing Chelsea to at least get a point in the derby.

This weekend will tell a lot, with Chelsea going to Anfield and us facing City. It is a massive weekend in the race.

KingdomYid wrote: »
    This weekend will tell a lot, with Chelsea going to Anfield and us facing City. It is a massive weekend in the race.

Yeah, good time for both your lot and Chelsea really given that City and Pool have nothing to play for. Will Bale be back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Yeah, good time for both your lot and Chelsea really given that City and Pool have nothing to play for. Will Bale be back?

Have heard reports he is struggling, I will be amazed if he plays tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭batistuta9

If Utd are ten points clear after Villa fixture they have won it. In that case they come to the Emirates as winners, and our players will have to give the Dutch skunk a guard of honour. If they're nine points clear after Villa they need a draw at the Emirates to win the league.

you've that mixed up, they're 13 clear now & after this w'kend city still have 5 games

They've 81 points, the most city can get is 86, so they need two wins

if city drop any points in the next 2, they only need 4 points

if tottenham beat city & united beat villa they'd win the league - and get a guard of honour at the emirates

if united beat villa & Arsenal - they'll win the league at the emirates

we'll know by Monday night & for definite next Saturday (27th)

I know the game is played on the pitch not on paper etc etc, but still I like this..

BIEXJM_CQAMHSpt.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭batistuta9

who's doing better in the league & in a FA cup final though?

that's what matters

batistuta9 wrote: »
    who's doing better in the league & in a FA cup final though?

that's what matters

etc etc,;) not forgetting they also had Balotelli playing up front for them this season another €20 million plus player - their wages would be a multiple of ours too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Few rumours doing the rounds that song wants to come back

Would fans want him back??

Me... I would but he would be told your a DM not an AM, you sit in front of the back 4 and don't move

You get ideas above your station your out the door again :)

Few rumours doing the rounds that song wants to come back

Would fans want him back??

Me... I would but he would be told your a DM not an AM, you sit in front of the back 4 and don't move

You get ideas above your station your out the door again :)

F*ck him tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Well he hasnt been replaced despite Wenger saying he would be, so as long as he's sorted out his tardiness and attitude I'd take him back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'd take him back.

I think the way we set up now is two 'advanced' sitting midfielders for want of a better word with Santi or Jack ahead of the two. Right now, Arteta and Ramsey are forming a good partnership. I do think Ramsey has the potential to take his game to the next level in this position but with Mikel, there's only one way he'll go. I love the lego haired one but realistically we have to improve upon him. Granted its only a borderline world class player that can do that but we have to try - look how well Matuidi has done for PSG this season. He came from St Etienne so they are out there. I don't know if its a Capoue or Gonalons that potentially could be that player or indeed taking Alex Song back but they are needed.

Our biggest problem for next season is how to accommodate Santi and Jack in the same side imo. Cos its not working as it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

F*ck him tbh

Totally agree, I would much rather give young Frimpong a chance in there.

Frimpong's not even close to Song though. I'd take him back if we aren't going to sign a proper DM, which no signs point towards yet. His positioning will only get better as he matures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Wouldn't take him back he wasn't good enough first time around he still wouldn't be good enough now.

Just because we haven't replaced him with better doesn't mean we should settle with bringing back an average player, hopefully Wenger goes out and buys someone to fill that role or has enough faith in Frimpong to fulfill it but I don't think he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Frimpong's not even close to Song though. I'd take him back if we aren't going to sign a proper DM, which no signs point towards yet. His positioning will only get better as he matures.

He has not been giving the chance to show what he can do tho has he? I remember when Song was only on the fringes of the first time he looked a very average player, but he did improve massively with experience so I think its unfair to write off Frimpong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Gotta get a top class striker. Giroud is very good and is a good plan B but not good enough to lead us.

Galvasean wrote: »

Id f*cking kill him. Lucozade sport is rotten :pac:

• Advertisement

Can't think of any players I'd want back tbh.

I was thinking about Cesc myself but I think we are a bit more robust without him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Phoenix wrote: »
    Cavani would be perfect for ye

We can always dream........

Arsene isnt going to drop that kind of money on a player not matter how much sense it makes

25 year old versions of the following; Ian Wright, Dennis Bergkamp, Thierry Henry, Tony Adams and the rest of the back 5, Sol Campbell, Patrick Vieira, Robert Pires, Freddie Ljungberg wouldn't be bad if it were possible :)

Oh if only someone would invent either a youth potion or a time machine

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement