Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

wonga77 wrote: »
    Im too lazy to look it up but i know one of ye will know the answer, how long has santos left on his contract?

Too long...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

On Ramsey I don't think anyone is saying he was poor, he did okay but not great either and it was Brighton

He is 21 and can still develop into a quality player. I would rather keep him than lose him because I think he'll come good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

2.5 yrs left - ends june 2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

bad2dabone wrote: »
    2.5 yrs left - ends june 2015

cheers, that was a masterstroke by his agent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Funny in the ratings he only got a 6. Oxo got a 7 and I thought he was poor too.
    I actually like Ramsey but think he falls asleep at times during games.
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/281745/ratings

In all serious, he does slow things down a bit and can get caught in possession
    I def wouldn't start him in the big games
    But
    He is coming on nicely and seems to be improving every game and is not half as bad as people would make ya think

My last point don't think I have mentioned it in this thread yet but he I only 21 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Soups123 wrote: »
    That's harsh on Gibbs

Agreed, these rating systems always give subs low ratings even if they tore the place up. The user ratings look more accurate to me to be honest.

wonga77 wrote: »
    cheers, that was a masterstroke by his agent

at the time he signed for us he was brazil's LB and we'd just been subjected the THAT result so he got a nice 4 year deal.

PS: how old is ramsey again?? :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ridiculous that we had to play who we had to play today to beat Brighton. Given how we've collapsed at the end of recent seasons it'd be odd if we don't this season while playing more players more often because of the thin squad.

No that was a fair team he put out today. It's our last realistic chance of silverware this season so it was an absolute must win and it was against a team who already had one premier league scalp under their belts who are playing well and have a reasonable chance of promotion. He also started with 3 players who really needed game time. 1 of which should never play for us again, hopefully Wenger is in the market for a left back. Gibbs is injury prone and we will be ripped apart if Santos plays against any half decent opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Giroud's best performance in an Arsenal shirt, albeit against Championship opposition but it shows his confidence is growing and he's steadily adapting to the English game. He has to put in a game like that against top 6 opposition now to really make the breakthrough. Let's hope that happens on Wednesday!

Ramsey was impressive again, and has shown that he can deputise for Arteta when required. He's slowly getting back to the level he was showing signs of before the injury. Important to remember he was man of the match against City earlier in the season. He has been guilty of slowing games down when played further up at times, so maybe a deeper role will be ideal for him in the longrun. The talent is there, it will develop if he keeps putting the work in.

Santos is a joke, no need to echo everyone else's posts, but the defending in general was far too poor in a lot of ways. Santos had a hand in a lot of it, but after his errors it was Szcz and Mert at fault for their goals in the end.

People talking about Chambo not developing etc, he's still only 19 and has had limited gametime. He is going to develop quicker than Theo did I reckon, give him time. Theo grabbed the headlines at an early age because of his pace, but the headless chicken tag he's only losing now. Ox has more rounded skills and it's just a matter of it all clicking for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

BTW Ramsey is only 21
    :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Giroud's best performance in an Arsenal shirt, albeit against Championship opposition but it shows his confidence is growing and he's steadily adapting to the English game. He has to put in a game like that against top 6 opposition now to really make the breakthrough. Let's hope that happens Wednesday

We aren't playing a top 6 side on Wednesday.We're playing Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

BTW Ramsey is only 21
    :-)

Born 26.12.1990. (22 and 1 month)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

greendom wrote: »
    No that was a fair team he put out today. It's our last realistic chance of silverware this season so it was an absolute must win and it was against a team who already had one premier league scalp under their belts who are playing well and have a reasonable chance of promotion. He also started with 3 players who really needed game time. 1 of which should never play for us again, hopefully Wenger is in the market for a left back. Gibbs is injury prone and we will be ripped apart if Santos plays against any half decent opposition.

Can't see the problem either. It was a half strength team with probably about five of the outfield players unlikely to start the next league match.

That's the way we've always done the FA cup.

In the next game the two full backs, Santi, Walcott and Wilshire come back in. So the players that have played the most recently and also do the most running all got a chance to rest rather than keep going from game to game.

The potential players that we played - Giroud, Pod, Ramsey and Diaby have all had rest recently so really apart from the CB's the squad did fine for once. We are unbelievably light at CB though and we've always gone through a spell with two injuries to CB's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Something I forgot to mention earlier was the encouragement given to the attacking players by Giroud. He was constantly clapping the players and keeping them on their toes. All through the game today he was talking to the players around him and pumping his fists.
    A real leader on the pitch and something we have been lacking.
    Maybe another future captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Loving Giroud at the minute lads I never once doubted his ability and now the patience in him is paying off, his celebration for his second goal was brilliant, straight into the fans great to see.

Hopefully we get a new keeper as well lads Chesney just not up to it at the minute nearly every week hes at fault for a goal or I feel he should be saving one, absolutely atrocious he was for there first goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Guns to head lads and you cant pick pull the trigger:

Who would you rather starts? Squillaci or Santos. :pac:
    Gringo180 wrote: »
    Hopefully we get a new keeper as well lads Chesney just not up to it at the minute nearly every week hes at fault for a goal or I feel he should be saving one, absolutely atrocious he was for there first goal.
    Szczesny is going to be an amazing goalkeeper. As it is, he's very good. Give him a few more years and he'll be amazing. If we sign another goalkeeper, someone else gets Szczesny in his prime (which is still easily five years away, imagine how good he is going to be!) as he is far too good for the bench, even now. Mannone is a capable enough back up.

gnfnrhead wrote: »

Szczesny is going to be an amazing goalkeeper. As it is, he's very good. Give him a few more years and he'll be amazing. If we sign another goalkeeper, someone else gets Szczesny in his prime (which is still easily five years away, imagine how good he is going to be!) as he is far too good for the bench, even now. Mannone is a capable enough back up.

Agree 100%

Squillaci.

all day long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Completely agree with this, people forget about the wonderful save he ppulled off just before our first goal, but he makes one error and we have people calling for his head. You ca be guaranteed that if Arsenal were to put it up on the radar we were willing to sell you would have a lot of clubs vying for his signature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Squillaci.

all day long.

Squillaci me arse!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Guns to head lads and you cant pick pull the trigger:

I think we should stick with Szczesny too but I would prefer a more capable, more experienced 'keeper as backup than Mannone. Whenever he makes the starting lineup I am terrified.

Hopefully we sign Diame/Wanyama and a backup striker in the next few days although I won't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Had a horrible dream last night that Gibbs got injured and we had to play Santos vs Arjen Robben and Bayern Munich. Shudders...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

shano_88 wrote: »
    Had a horrible dream last night that Gibbs got injured and we had to play Santos vs Arjen Robben and Bayern Munich. Shudders...

I really hope AW had the same dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

AdamD wrote: »

Giroud is quality in the air. He had the most scored from headers in France last season. Was surprised you bought him as Arsenal aren't renowned for crosses.

Pretty sure only 2 of Giroud's 21 league goals last year were headers. Him scoring all his goals in the air is some well flogged media myth

Incorrect. :)

It is incorrect, he only scored 1 header last season :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

shano_88 wrote: »

I was dreaming last night too then out of nowhere Arsenal sign Jovetic & somebody else being shown on SSNews came into the whole thing :D

• Advertisement

I'm over to the Liverpool game Wednesday were I fully expect villa or jovetic to come off the bench to get the winner :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

New thread calls for new list :)

Walcott 17 (10)
    Giroud 13 (8)
    Podolski 11 (7)
    Cazorla 8 (8)
    Gervinho 5 (3)
    Arteta 4 (4)
    Mr. Owen Goal 3 (3)
    Chamakh 2 (0)
    Koscielny 2 (1)
    Oxlade-Chamberlain 2 (1)
    Wilshere 2 (0)
    Arshavin 1 (0)
    Gibbs 1 (0)
    Mertesacker 1 (1)
    Miquel 1 (0)
    Ramsey 1 (0)
    Rosicky 1 (0)
    Vermaelen 1 (0)

(League goals in brackets)

17 from Walcott
    No better way from shutting the likes of me up

van Persie got 37 for us last season. Giroud and Podolski are on 24. 13 more is easily doable imo. It's good that we are no longer so reliant on the one player. Walcott will break 20, Giroud and Podolski wont be far off if they dont do likewise. Cazorla will break 10 and Gervinho wont be too far off either. That's a far better spread than last season when it was van Persie or no-one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Id like to see the assists spread around a bit more, surprised the likes of Wilshere hasnt had a few at this stage, then again I dont really care where the goals come from

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

and Gervinho wont be too far off either

I'd be quite happy if he didn't get five more minutes this season

Looks like Spurs are really serious about 4th.Removing all distractions like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

gosplan wrote: »
    I'd be quite happy if he didn't get five more minutes this season

but have you seen him at the AFCON? He's glorious

I'm loving the FA Cup today!

I'm loving the FA Cup today!

We'll probably draw Barca in the next round.

I couldn't give a monkeys who we get here in this draw. We'd as easily beat man united as we would lose to a league 2 team!

Home to Blackburn.

I'll take that.

Nice draw, home most importantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Blackburn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Home against Blackburn. Not too shabby. Good to be at home.

• Advertisement

Nice draw shame the big three didn't clash could do with some luck of the draw to stand a chance of winning it

Seen this tweeted haha

Buying nobody is bad but buying loads of crap for fortunes and still being a bit **** is an horrific thought isn't it?

Blackburn is an ideal draw. Not low enough that we'll consider it a formality (Bradford) but also not high enough that they'll cause us a huge amount of problems (United for example).

We're f*cked midweek.Liverpool have obviously opted to go all out for the league title this season.

I'd rival Milan and stick in a bid for Balotelli, there's bags of potential there.
    Wenger could have a go at managing his attitude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

We're f*cked midweek.Liverpool have obviously opted to go all out for the league title this season.

Liverpool played Saurez, Sturridge, Sterling, Allen from the start. It was a strong team put out to win. They just didn't.

I would wager Gerrard will start this time though. He made a big difference when he came off the bench.
    Soups123 wrote: »
    I'd rival Milan and stick in a bid for Balotelli, there's bags of potential there.
    Wenger could have a go at managing his attitude

Seriously? A toxic player. Wouldn't take him on a free. Would do more harm than good. If he was as good as Ronaldo you would put up with his crap but he isn't even as good as Dzeko for city so he's totally not worth it.

Kirby wrote: »

Liverpool played Saurez, Sturridge, Sterling, Allen from the start. It was a strong team put out to win. They just didn't.

I would wager Gerrard will start this time though. He made a big difference when he came off the bench.
    I think he was joking........... I think

I expect us to win at home Wednesday anything else is insufficient

Kirby wrote: »

Seriously? A toxic player. Wouldn't take him on a free. Would do more harm than good. If he was as good as Ronaldo you would put up with his crap but he isn't even as good as Dzeko for city so he's totally not worth it.
    Yeah I know what your saying but Mancini doesn't strike me as the type that can handle him, he's a bit OTT himself sometimes, Wenger has shown in the past he is a good man manager. It won't happen but I do think under the right guidance he could be a quality player

Balotelli is entirely brainless. I'd be sick if we paid 17million and 100k a week for him.
    Entertaining character though.

• Advertisement

Balotelli is entirely brainless. I'd be sick if we paid 17million and 100k a week for him.
    Entertaining character though.

Not that I'd want him anyway, but I'm sure he's on mega bucks at city anyway. Prob in the region of 160k to 180k per week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement