Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Really have to laugh at the way Giroud has been lambasted. I think he has been a success the first season. The criticism is fickle bullc*ap. Definately have seen more worthless strikers play for Arsenal. Hell the invincibles had to put up with Franny Jeffers and Wiltord and later Reyes who didnt want to hear of football after the Nevilles at old trafford in 2004. We then had Julio Baptista who we once made a club record 21m bid on. Need i say more. Then Bendyboots. Give me Giroud who has the heart of a lion any day of the week. Guarantee many big clubs would gladly take him off us and we had plenty competition to get him to Arsenal

He's not a bad player probably above average but we are use to Henry bergkamp adebayor rvp so I think that's why he gets so much flak, I like him but would want better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Morning Gents,

Fulham Vs Arsenal for the Eircoms heads is live on the eircom website tomorrow at 3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Morning Gents,

Fulham Vs Arsenal for the Eircoms heads is live on the eircom website tomorrow at 3pm

Where has this eircom thing come from? I only heard about it for the first time like three weeks ago. It's discrimination against people who want a good broadband service!

EDIT: I don't know how good eircoms broadband is, I'm just angry I don't get to watch the game.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Where has this eircom thing come from? I only heard about it for the first time like three weeks ago. It's discrimination against people who want a good broadband service!

EDIT: I don't know how good eircoms broadband is, I'm just angry I don't get to watch the game.

They've been doing it for a few years now, tis pretty handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Giroud is not a late developer. He's a perfectly normal developer for his size and style.

Saying he won't improve or comparing him to a 21 year old Henry shows very little knowledge of how these thing work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Morning Gents,

Is the game not on Setanta as well? Will have to go check but I thought I saw an ad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

TheGunns wrote: »
    Is the game not on Setanta as well? Will have to go check but I thought I saw an ad

It's on the dreaded setanta sports 1.30 euro a month for maybe 1 game I would watch, looks like ill be lookin for a good recipe so.

It's on the dreaded setanta sports 1.30 euro a month for maybe 1 game I would watch, looks like ill be lookin for a good recipe so.

Assumed since it was on the free one since thats the one it was advertised on. My bad

Assumed since it was on the free one since thats the one it was advertised on. My bad

Me too it was advertised during the week on setanta Ireland but they changed it recently, they have done that for quite a few games this season.

Slightly annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

I can only assume that our standards have gone through the floor if Giroud's season is considered 'very good'. Bargain bucket and it shows.

Big game today anyway, we were poor at home to Norwich and Everton, need to improve today or we're in trouble. Bale is back for Spurs and a good result for them vs City would really throw the cat amongst the pigeons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

For me some of the greatest failures of our transfer policy are losing out on mata and spending money on gervais. Im a fan of giroud for his application although his misses against chelsea and everton were costly I think he'll have a better second season. To get a better striker we need a bit of luck as three other teams can blow us out of the water financially and if we Don't get cl football it'll be even harder. trimming the wage bill should be the priority To allow us to offer a top player the wages that they can command at our rivals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Santi101 wrote: »
    I can only assume that our standards have gone through the floor if Giroud's season is considered 'very good'. Bargain bucket and it shows.

Big game today anyway, we were poor at home to Norwich and Everton, need to improve today or we're in trouble. Bale is back for Spurs and a good result for them vs City would really throw the cat amongst the pigeons.

I'm not saying he's awesome, just that he'll get a lot better.

If you pick the best 'big guys up top' that you can think of and research their development, you'll see that they develop to their late 20's and peak then and in their very early 30's.

The position requires physical maturation, in-game intelligence and experience in how to out-fox defenders.

I'm not saying he should be our only option but he will improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Jesus Christ, he was signed for just less than £10 million, its not his fault that you expected WAY too much from him, we were not going to get a like for like van Persie replacement for less than £10 million.

If we're comparing to van Persie (which is just plain stupid), yeah, he's not great. But so far he has scored 17 goals and chipped in with a healthy amount of assists. His season has been acceptable.

Seriously, what did you expect from a player who was signed for less than £10 million who up until two years before he signed for us had never even played in top flight football?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's setanta that streams on the eircom site.

gosplan wrote: »
    I'm not saying he's awesome, just that he'll get a lot better.

If you pick the best 'big guys up top' that you can think of and research their development, you'll see that they develop to their late 20's and peak then and in their very early 30's.

The position requires physical maturation, in-game intelligence and experience in how to out-fox defenders.

I'm not saying he should be our only option but he will improve.

You think he'll get alot better? Your point about later developers is pretty good though, never noticed that before.

He will be better next season no doubt but I dunno if he'll be good enough to win us the big games. If his experience bags him another 10 goals through out a whole season then I'd be delighted with him tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Give it a rest. The following is a list of Arsenal Players over the last 10 years who have scored 10 goals or more in the premier league throughout each season:

12/13:
    Cazorla 12
    Walcott 12
    Giroud 11

11/12:
    van Persie 34

10/11:
    van Persie 18
    Nasri 10

09/10:
    Fabergas 15
    Arshavin 10

08/09:
    van Persie 11
    Adebayor 10

07/08:
    Adebayor 24

06/07:
    van Persie 11
    Henry 10
    Silva 10

05/06:
    Henry 27

04/05:
    Henry 25
    Pires 14
    Ljunberg 10

03/04:
    Henry 30
    Pires 14

02/03:
    Henry 24
    Pires 15
    Wiltord 10

Or to put it another way, only 7 players have scored more than Giroud over the last 10 years, and two of those occurred this year. In 06/07 neither Henry nor van Persie scored than Giroud has done this year.The same applies for 08/09 where they have both played a similar amount of time.

So can you now please stop talking about Giroud being a donkey and not good enough for Arsenal. Before this year, only 5 players have scored more than him in the last 10 years, and the season isn't over yet. Considering this is also his first season, I would say that is not a bad return

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Well said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Squad for today. Come on Arsenal!!!

Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal, Arteta, Ramsey, Rosicky, Cazorla, Walcott, Giroud

Subs: Mannone, Vermaelen, Gibbs, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gervinho, Podolski

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Good to see Rosicky back, wish pod would get a start though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I'm calling it now
    Podolski is banging wengers wife :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

That's a serious bench, plenty of game changers.

Lots of Podolski reports around but:

Another one I read says that he needs surgery on his ankle and is waiting til the end of the season. Starting to wonder whether theyre pulling at straws or if there is something concrete behind any of the reports

Shakey start.

Fulham down to 10 men, bad bad tackle.

Sidwell sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Great chance to get the win now. We were already fairly well in control for the last 5 minutes. gotta make a break through early so or else you can see one of those backs to the wall defensive performances happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Sidwell sent off.

Rightfully so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

How does Walcott still get to take free kicks from that distance?

He's not that type of player.

• Advertisement

cambo2008 wrote: »
    How does Walcott still get to take free kicks from that distance?

I thought his first one was pretty good, should have done the same with the second one rather than go for the shot.

i love watching Rosicky play. He's going to be important in this game now.

[edit] Jaysus, good save Szczesny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I thought his first one was pretty good, should have done the same with the second one rather than go for the shot.

Sorry. I'm talking about taking the shot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Girouds lack of movement is is killing us

No penetration.

They're looking dangerous on those counter attacks.

• Advertisement

Ramsey should be doing better.

Theo should be makin runs, nothing from him so far

This eircom stream doesn't really live up to the view I had on wednesday

250236.jpg

Yeah the fans look much closer to the pitch on the stream.

match thread up and running.................slowly

Boring boring Arsenal. Very poor performance but got the three points which is all that matters at this stage.

• Advertisement

Utter shït last three games probably didn't deserve to win any of them games

But 7/9 is good and I won't complain much while we keep picking up points

Dreadful stuff altogether. Lucky. Giroud a jackass to make a tackle like that.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Looks like Podolski up front next week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Don't care how poor we were, them 3 points were vital!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I dont care how badly we play if it results in 3 points every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Dreadful stuff altogether. Lucky. Giroud a jackass to make a tackle like that.:mad:

It really wasn't that bad a tackle they'll appeal and win that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Wow, how bad was that. Glad we have a bit of a defence nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Everton lost too so we can hopefully rule them out. Liverpool and City to do us favours now?

Don't mind giroud ban, sick I looking at him up front now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Poor performance today really poor struggling against a ten man Fulham but at the end of the day the 3 points is all that matters.

Hopefully we will see Podlolski up front next game now, but I doubt it Wenger will probably opt for Gerv or Walcott.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement