Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

I have to say, I've been really impressed by Girouds 20 goals in 39 starts in his first season.
    If Wenger does add in the summer, we really are in a great position, I think we will make 4th, at least I really pray we do.
    We need this more than ANY trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

cson wrote: »
    Yeah I'm fairly certain had we kept Song and Van Persie we'd have been there or thereabouts.
    HazDanz wrote: »
    It's been the case for the last few years though hasn't it? Always frustrating/upsetting thinking about it after the fact.

While quite sickening to think about now it does surely put a much more positive slant on things going into this window. RVP last year was the one player holding you in the top four. To challenge for the title the squad still needed major investment. His exploits this year have shown how much extra he was giving a team.

You've now got the reverse in that you've a squad that can make top four that needs one or two players to kick on to another level. At least you won't have players looking to get out this summer. (You'd hope?) Wenger also doesn't have a huge rebuild on his hands and can hopefully just go about seeking out those couple of players needed to challenge. Spending proper big money on a proven goalscorer would do wonders imo but whether he'll be prepared to do that, I doubt it.

Opr

kryogen wrote: »
    Such a beautifully bitter and incredibly wrong post juxtaposed with one of honesty.

An achievement.

I will be getting feelings of disgust mixed with satisfaction seeing the trophy being handed over tonight.
    Disgusted United have shown they are still a winning team, and satisfaction that our best player, is their best player and deserves to show something for it.:o

You can tell its unfamiliar territory for RVP, he didn't know how to celebrate just after the whistle went, now he's jumping around like a child.
    Heartbreaking.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,502 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Not happy tonight watching another of our players lift a trophy at another club.
    I am actually sickened at this.

There has been too much of this sh*** and it's time for it to stop.

Time to invest serious money into the team at Arsenal instead of the directors bank balance.

No fondness from RVP there when asked "how will it feel to go back to Emirates having won the title"....all he said was "let me enjoy this first"
    Ouch Robin.....:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

No fondness from RVP there when asked "how will it feel to go back to Emirates having won the title"....all he said was "let me enjoy this first"

I thought he handled it well, fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Is it the board of wenger for players like rvp leaving and winning the things?

I thought he handled it well, fair play to him.

I didn't imply he handled it badly, but my broken heart was hoping he would do a Thierry and say he misses us hahaha

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

He was right not to answer that, wrong time to be asking him a question like that completely. I don't for a second think there isn't a part of him that wishes he won a title at Arsenal. He left to win trophies and thats what he's done and I can't really blame him for not staying in london.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

He just asked him to let him enjoy this moment, was pretty respectful in fairness.

RVP is one classy guy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Our u21s got beat by spuds tonight

Don't no if anything else happened I the football world :)

kryogen wrote: »
    He just asked him to let him enjoy this moment, was pretty respectful in fairness.

RVP is one classy guy

I did say fondness, you all should know I think he is a classy guy, I did have my username as RVP for 3 years.:pac:
    has there been so much bitterness in here since I kept away from here for so long?
    ;)

Fergie " that goal is up there with some of our best, Beckham, Cantona"

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Fergie " that goal is up there with some of our best, Beckham, Cantona"

Wasn't as good as the one against charlton :D

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Wasn't as good as the one against charlton :D

Probably wasn't, but the comparison of his goal for us against Everton, did you see it?
    The technique was identical......:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Let them have their league title. We've got €24 million. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hahahahahahh....\evil laugh

Possible PFA player of year for Van Persie too.:o
    At least Wilshere is in the young player of the year category.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

They don't have a gold one though ;)

1366665641_zpsc25b5716.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

They don't have a gold one though ;)

1366665641_zpsc25b5716.jpg

I was just about to bask in that too - all I have at the moment :D

zp_is_yours_gold_977.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Stay golden ponyboy, stay golden.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Let them have their league title. We've got €24 million. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hahahahahahh....\evil laugh

dr-evil.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Looks like gotze is off to bayern! Dreams shattered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Fair play RVP.

Even if we had a miraculous season and were competing for the title the dry spell he had over the last two months would have been the thing that cost Arsenal the league.

We just never surrounded RVP and Fabregas before him with the players they need to help them win the trophies they deserve.

I note some people are looking to play the blame game but it's just finances. Man U are loaded, they can buy players like Anderson and have them not work without any real damage to results. They can buy players like Kagawa and give them a year without much responsibility and allow them to settle in to the premiership. And they can spend 24 million on the one player they really didn't need just because he's really bloody good.

There's Man U, Man City and Chelsea, and then there's the rest which includes us, and nothing will change unless the finances change.

Looks like gotze is off to bayern! Dreams shattered.

German teams seem to do all in their power to keep their players in Germany even if it means selling them to their main rival.

Bayern have bought so many players from their main German title rivals for years. Ze Roberto, Balack, Podolski, Klose, and there is definately a few more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Fact of the matter is, if we kept van Persie I doubt we would have added much in the last window and reckon we'd still be in more or less the same position this season. United wouldn't have ran away with the league without him, but as always they'd be there or thereabouts. I don't like seeing him do it elsewhere, but he deserved to be in a league winning team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Hopefully united wont give a f*ck and and we get 3 points.

Picking up 3 points each game week is my only concern for the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

United fan here, although I like teams like Arsenal & Spurs because they aren't circus's like City or Chelsea, so I hope they take 3rd and 4th.

Anyway point I came to make. Correct me if I'm wrong but if Arsenal finish in the top 4, this will be the first summer in a the last few where there is no talk about players leaving. Instead of worrying about what players to hang onto you can be optimistic about who to bring in now that funds are available. It will be an interesting few months ahead looking at what goes on with Arsenal.

If our appeal for Giroud's red card fails, its an automatic extension of the ban aint it?

I may be wrong though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭batistuta9

German teams seem to do all in their power to keep their players in Germany even if it means selling them to their main rival.

Bayern have bought so many players from their main German title rivals for years. Ze Roberto, Balack, Podolski, Klose, and there is definately a few more.

They seem happy enough to stay in Germany too though, which is probably the main thing

Neuer, mandzuckic were bought from bundesliga teams too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭batistuta9

If our appeal for Giroud's red card fails, its an automatic extension of the ban aint it?

I may be wrong though

Not 100% sure but the extra game is only if it's deemed frivolous

Hopefully united wont give a f*ck and and we get 3 points.

Not a hope, Fergie will want that points record. Having said that, we are due a win against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

United fan here, although I like teams like Arsenal & Spurs because they aren't circus's like City or Chelsea, so I hope they take 3rd and 4th.

Anyway point I came to make. Correct me if I'm wrong but if Arsenal finish in the top 4, this will be the first summer in a the last few where there is no talk about players leaving. Instead of worrying about what players to hang onto you can be optimistic about who to bring in now that funds are available. It will be an interesting few months ahead looking at what goes on with Arsenal.

Sagna is rumoured to be on his way out. Not quite the same as RVP or Fabregas forcing their way out of the club, but a blow nonetheless. You're right though, the squad has been completely gutted and there's nobody left bar Wilshere that anybody would want. Maybe it's what Arsenal needed to do given their finances, get a squad that can play better than the sum of its parts, and not rely on one or two world class players. If they can make 4th and actually go out and spend some money in the summer then next season could be interesting.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Not a hope, Fergie will want that points record. Having said that, we are due a win against them.

You're spot on, Fergie is too good to let the standards slip

What's this about Sagna? He's improved since Christmas, he looks like he's playing to stay.

What's this about Sagna? He's improved since Christmas, he looks like he's playing to stay.

Thought he played very well at the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Hopefully Wenger sticks with the same team (hoping Giroud can play) but whatever he does, I just don't want Vermaelen on the pitch against United again. Van Perise had him all over the place last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

So yet another player leaves Arsenal for a top European club and wins a Championship or cup honours. Could we have won a trophy this season with Cesc, Nasri, Clichy, Song and Van Persie still in our squad along side Cazorla, Jack et al ? I think it truly shows that our famous club now completely lacks the ambition and the forward thinking needed to win Championships and cups. I don't blame Arsene Wenger. I think he's managing with the resources he has available. We didn't need to buy too many players ... we already had them. Our problem is we won't pay them to keep them and add that little bit of quality to compliment them. We missed out on Mata, Hazard, Vertonghen and even bargain buys like Scott Parker and Jussi Jaaskelainen ... not terribly expensive players if bought when first considered. We'll miss out on some of this summer's suppossed targets too ... Goetze, Jovetic, Wanyama ... our club's board of directors are just taking us fans for a ride. Anyone that's been to the Emirates lately can see that the soul is being sold out of the club in favour of corporate hospitality and corporate finance for profit without investment. We were the Bank of England/Harrods club of London and England ... now we are Marks & Spencers. And the truly sad part of all of this for me is that we are only short of a few good players in key positions - we didn't need to spend crazy like Chelsea, City or United ... we could have been like Borrusia Dortmund ... a team we comprehensively beat a few seasons ago ... but while they consolidated their best players and team, we sold ours.

I have said it here before that we are no longer a top club, just a club that can beat any other team when we play our best - big difference. In truth, both the S***s and Chelski are playing football way above our current standard. If we make 3rd or 4th I honestly think we haven't really deserved it -more a case of one of the other two failing to cope with a fixture overload. This summer will tell the whole story - but I think we're on a downward crest. Meanwhile RvP can justify his move to Utd, Clichy and Nasri the same to City, Cesc to Barca, Henry to Barca, Vieira to Juve, Cole to Chelsea ... can Arsenal justify the sale of our best players to Europe's best clubs ? And who is next ?

Absolutely gutted.

In the 8 years since we've won a trophy, the 27 players that have left have gone on to win 77 trophies between them.

• Advertisement

In the 8 years since we've won a trophy, the 27 players that have left have gone on to win 77 trophies between them.

In fairness Hleb probably counts for about 10 of those and he only played a dozen games or so for Barca :pac:

If we can hold onto our players and add 2 or 3 quality players we have a good chance next season.

A good ball winning midfielder and maybe a striker.

Cl qualification is vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Truth be told although it'll be good to finish in the top four, there's only been a handful of games where Arsenal played very well this season.

I thought utd winning the league would cause a meltdown of sorts and it did

The stadium crippled is financially, we can argue all day about spend what we have and all that. But we has to sell to stay a float.

We're only a top 4 team and will be for a couple of years that it takes us to build a title challenging team again. Hopefully we can add to the squad to get closer to utd and pick up a cup

On rvp he is no arsenal legend, and I hated his vile "you guys" statement, he done nothing for 6 yrs at this club

But his unreal performances last year got us in the champions league and without that Id hate too see where we would have fallen too today.

So good luck to him and I'm glad he for his medal.

Our debts are dwindling no more excuses not to spend of wenger won't then let's being in someone who will.

Lets get this great club back up there challenging it's after been a rough few years and were not out yet. The core of player are there I can't wait for the day jack walks up and lifts that trophy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

lads, Usmanov three shares away from the 30%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Raf32 wrote: »

Pretty sure that doesn't mean very much any more?

• Advertisement

Raf32 wrote: »

He tops the rich list of UK billionaires.

I can't thank that post twice :):)

He has improved immensely over the last month but come on, player of the season??

Arteta would be my choice, Ramsey hasn't been our best player.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement