Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

My Man Utd supporting mate just kindly informed me we would have to do guard of honour for them on Sunday.

They think they are soooo coooooool with their trophy whereas us shrewd boyos have £124m in our reserves. They should be giving us a Guard of honour if you ask me :pac: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Arteta would be my choice, Ramsey hasn't been our best player.

Mert or Cazorla for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Player of the season is hard all player had patches of brilliance none of them were consistently good over the season.

Think It would be a toss up between mert and arteta. With mert just shading it.

Can we set up a poll pick a boards player of the year

If Ramsey only gets one vote I'm guessing ye all no it was me who voted for him :)

Cazorla and Mert have been very good, but the Consistency of Arteta has been superior for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

On the guard of honour thing, are we actually Obliged to do it? Dont think I could stomach watching that tbh. Hopefully we get 4 wins out of 4 and say goodbye to this awful season. This summer is crucial as I dont want another season like this again. I struggle to think of any high points during it at all and thats a sad indicament of where we currently stand today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

keano_afc wrote: »

Yet another rubbish Arsenal blog, the web is full of them. Every Gooner and his dog thinks he's a blogger nowadays.

Cazorla is quite clearly our POTY. Arteta and Mertesacker have had very average seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Cazorla would be my player of the year too.

In other news Cavani looks like he's off to PSG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

On the guard of honour thing, are we actually Obliged to do it? Dont think I could stomach watching that tbh. Hopefully we get 4 wins out of 4 and say goodbye to this awful season. This summer is crucial as I dont want another season like this again. I struggle to think of any high points during it at all and thats a sad indicament of where we currently stand today.

I think there is no shame in doing it, united done it in 91 for us, I think we should stop been so childish and just give them the credit they deserve.

No point booing robin either, he made his choice and we have to move on and accept it, booing them or him will only give them motivation to beat us.

Let's just get out there and beat them in a game of football, sounds simple doesn't it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I couldn't give a ****e about a guard of honour so long as we beat them.

3pts > than any perceived humiliation from a guard of honour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I'd rather take the gentlemanly route and just get it over with. Then beat them 3-0.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I think we should go completely over the top with our guard of honour and make them feel as uncomfortable as possible - and then beat them 3-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

We should table a sneaky bid for Muller now that Bayern have signed Goetze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Giroud's 3 match ban has been upheld by the FA. Not surprised really, even though the foul happened because he slipped. I hear the stuff about Podolski needing an op but it would be good to see him start as centre-forward on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

He won the league for Man utd, there is no doubt about that. He probably learned much from Arsenal and Wenger, so Ferguson just had to play him and use the skills he honed at Arsenal. The guard of honour thing is the right thing to do out of respect and sportsmanship. Lets face it he would stlll be waiting for his first PL title if he had stayed with us. A win of any sort will do us on sunday next, I will take a 1 nil and 3 points. Not optimistic but hoping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Can we recall chamak and bendy boots :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

ugsparky wrote: »
    So yet another player leaves Arsenal for a top European club and wins a Championship or cup honours. Could we have won a trophy this season with Cesc, Nasri, Clichy, Song and Van Persie still in our squad along side Cazorla, Jack et al ? I think it truly shows that our famous club now completely lacks the ambition and the forward thinking needed to win Championships and cups. I don't blame Arsene Wenger. I think he's managing with the resources he has available. We didn't need to buy too many players ... we already had them. Our problem is we won't pay them to keep them and add that little bit of quality to compliment them. We missed out on Mata, Hazard, Vertonghen and even bargain buys like Scott Parker and Jussi Jaaskelainen ... not terribly expensive players if bought when first considered. We'll miss out on some of this summer's suppossed targets too ... Goetze, Jovetic, Wanyama ... our club's board of directors are just taking us fans for a ride. Anyone that's been to the Emirates lately can see that the soul is being sold out of the club in favour of corporate hospitality and corporate finance for profit without investment. We were the Bank of England/Harrods club of London and England ... now we are Marks & Spencers. And the truly sad part of all of this for me is that we are only short of a few good players in key positions - we didn't need to spend crazy like Chelsea, City or United ... we could have been like Borrusia Dortmund ... a team we comprehensively beat a few seasons ago ... but while they consolidated their best players and team, we sold ours.

I have said it here before that we are no longer a top club, just a club that can beat any other team when we play our best - big difference. In truth, both the S***s and Chelski are playing football way above our current standard. If we make 3rd or 4th I honestly think we haven't really deserved it -more a case of one of the other two failing to cope with a fixture overload. This summer will tell the whole story - but I think we're on a downward crest. Meanwhile RvP can justify his move to Utd, Clichy and Nasri the same to City, Cesc to Barca, Henry to Barca, Vieira to Juve, Cole to Chelsea ... can Arsenal justify the sale of our best players to Europe's best clubs ? And who is next ?

Absolutely gutted.

Just on Vertongen. My impression was that the only reason that he didn't come to us was that he looked at the squad and thought we wouldn't be guaranteed a game whereas he would be at Spurs. An I think that is part of the problem we have, not so much with a striker but everywhere else on the pitch.

For example, look at the centre of midfield. Most of us would like a Viera type player to come in and take charge. We hope Diaby could be that player but that will never happen now. So we go looking for another player. Now some players will be tempted by Arsenal, more by the chance of playing in the Champions League or others by playing in the Premier League (if they are not already here). But then they will look at the amount of midfielders we have:

Walcott, Podolski, Ox, Gervinho, Arteta, Ramsey, Wilshere, Cazorla, Rosicky, Coquelin, Frimpong and for now Arshavin.

Now unless a player is outstanding (which is what we would like, but may not be able to afford), most of them will look at that and wonder what would be their chances of breaking into that, or if they had a bad few games realise they could be dropped and may not see another game for a few weeks or more.

However, if the same player is offered a place at Spurs, Everton or a lower club they will realise they will almost be guaranteed a game no matter what, whenever they want, a similar enough story to Vertongen. Others may be happy enough to sit on the bench if they weren't getting their place if they were being paid enough, something which the likes of Chelsea and City can afford to do.

So where does that leave us? Well it seems that we are too good a club to be in the position we are in.

We can't afford to pay players massive wages to sit on the bench for when we will need them, but at the same time because of our relatively strong squad we can't attract players like Vertongen because they know they won't be guaranteed a game. If somehow we were able to be in contention for the League we would be a much more attractive club to go to, but until we can do that, I'm not sure if we can attract those types of player, which really is just the definition of a catch 22.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

So Gotze is off to Bayern and Cavani to PSG is rumoured to be a done deal. At least we won't be able spend the summer torturing ourselves secretly hoping that either of these signings would be possible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Can we recall chamak and bendy boots :)

Bendtner to come back and save our season? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

I thought I'd be fine with them winning the league ya know but its literally the same as when your ex gets a new fella. Ya think you're ovr her and then bang.

Sick all day cant even look at the fooking news.

Ramsey, player of the season my hole..he has been good for about a month. He has been compltley ineffective in some big matches and he should of socred against spurs. That said I am delighted to see his improvement.

I think Per has been better than average to be honest. Arteta has went missing a little too much and I didn't take kindly to him missing that peno against Fulham. I know its hard to focus on one time mistakes but these seem to be the things that the likes of United take.

Player of the season would have to be Santi for me, not spectacular but the most consistent attacking player for me. I couldnt give it to anyone that represents the defensive side of the team after some of the atrocity's they managed to subject us to at times.

Just hope we go on and finish 3rd would be delighted with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭batistuta9

So Gotze is off to Bayern and Cavani to PSG is rumoured to be a done deal. At least we won't be able spend the summer torturing ourselves secretly hoping that either of these signings would be possible!

wonder if it was Gotze the supposed 30mil bid was for?

batistuta9 wrote: »
    wonder if it was Gotze the supposed 30mil bid was for?

He tweeted saying it wasn't gotze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Hopefully man united will be some bit uniterested on sunday and we get 3 points.

Rvp with a hatrick lastnight to add insult to injury but fair play to him he is a world class player who had to leave arsenal to win world class trophys.

Will we ever see a trophy again??????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Hopefully man united will be some bit uniterested on sunday and we get 3 points.

Rvp with a hatrick lastnight to add insult to injury but fair play to him he is a world class player who had to leave arsenal to win world class trophys.

Will we ever see a trophy again??????????????

This won't happen, they still have something to play for- set a new points record.

It's a bit like ourselves when we won the title with 4 games to spare in 2004- United have the points target, we had the complete a season unbeaten target!

And Ferguson is never going to field an uninterested team against Arsenal!!

jordainius wrote: »
    This won't happen, they still have something to play for- set a new points record.

It's a bit like ourselves when we won the title with 4 games to spare in 2004- United have the points target, we had the complete a season unbeaten target!

And Ferguson is never going to field an uninterested team against Arsenal!!

You're right Fergie doesn't just switch off because he has the title, he will want to beat Arsenal just as much as if the title depended on it.

In other news, Busquets is such a cheating bastard!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

In other news, Busquets is such a cheating bastard!

Some things never change!

a095b62ba601cdf2e9b5ff3d0e9c8069_biscuitsshakey.gif

jordainius wrote: »
    Some things never change!

a095b62ba601cdf2e9b5ff3d0e9c8069_biscuitsshakey.gif

They sure don't.
    This time he clasped his leg in agony saw the ref wasn't reaching for a card and stood up with nothing at all wrong to challenge the ref.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Ye bet bayern we can surely beat united!

Ye bet bayern we can surely beat united!

There is no doubt in a one off game that we are good enough to beat Manchester United but to do it we need belief and organisation in abundance. Every pass has to matter and the ball must be delivered quickly as possible

I await all the we beat bayern posts:pac:
    Bayern battering Barcelona......
    That's satisfying......:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

All the while Fabregas sits unused on the bench - such a pity. I know he's scoring goals but he's not playing half as much as his talents deserves ... ah well, that's what he gets for following his DNA :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,502 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We will probably have a summer like every other summer.
    Promises of big names and we hang on every word but end up getting fairly good to average players but no big names.
    Deja vous again.

We will probably have a summer like every other summer.
    Promises of big names and we hang on every word but end up getting fairly good to average players but no big names.
    Deja vous again.

Cazorla? Podolski?

Okay, it's not exactly a Falcao or a Ronaldo but these guys are top class imo. I'd be happy if we get in more solid, seasoned internationals like those lads to be honest. I'd love Falcao but sometimes you know you're living in la-la-land thinking of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I thought utd winning the league would cause a meltdown of sorts and it did

The stadium crippled is financially, we can argue all day about spend what we have and all that. But we has to sell to stay a float.

We're only a top 4 team and will be for a couple of years that it takes us to build a title challenging team again. Hopefully we can add to the squad to get closer to utd and pick up a cup

On rvp he is no arsenal legend, and I hated his vile "you guys" statement, he done nothing for 6 yrs at this club

But his unreal performances last year got us in the champions league and without that Id hate too see where we would have fallen too today.

So good luck to him and I'm glad he for his medal.

Our debts are dwindling no more excuses not to spend of wenger won't then let's being in someone who will.

Lets get this great club back up there challenging it's after been a rough few years and were not out yet. The core of player are there I can't wait for the day jack walks up and lifts that trophy

Best post Ive seen on here in a while since last night there has been a lot of negativity most of it reactionary to United winning the league. to me RVP is a mute point really, I follow Arsenal F.C and that as whole is bigger than any ex player.

As for player of the season, No way in hell is Arteta worthy of that he has been average to poor this season and his weaknesses have been shown time and time against the better teams.

For me it would be Cazorla or I know not a popular choice but a player I have willed to be given more game time all season Podolski sadly I dont he has played enough to earn it.

Looking at next season there are four players I would gladly see start week in week out, Pod, Cazorla, Wilshere and Kos and after that the rest of the spots would be up for grabs.

He probably hasn't played enough to be up for any player of the season awards, but I've been very impressed by Jenkinson. Maybe he would be most improved more than anything but he has come on leaps and bounds in my eyes and his passion for the crest is something we need. I know he's a Gooner and it shows.

Looking at himself and Koscielny you'd never think they are the ones that came from the lower league clubs .. (Weren't Lorient Ligue 2 when we signed Kos? and Jenks was playing non-league or Conference?)

Maire2009 wrote: »
    He probably hasn't played enough to be up for any player of the season awards, but I've been very impressed by Jenkinson. Maybe he would be most improved more than anything but he has come on leaps and bounds in my eyes and his passion for the crest is something we need. I know he's a Gooner and it shows.

Looking at himself and Koscielny you'd never think they are the ones that came from the lower league clubs .. (Weren't Lorient Ligue 2 when we signed Kos? and Jenks was playing non-league or Conference?)

Yeh have really liked Jenks since we signed him he seems to be a player who improves game upon game and I think he has a really bright future at the club, If the talk of Sagna leaving is true with his patchy form this season the emergence and promise of Jenks will certainly soften the blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Cazorla? Podolski?

Okay, it's not exactly a Falcao or a Ronaldo but these guys are top class imo. I'd be happy if we get in more solid, seasoned internationals like those lads to be honest. I'd love Falcao but sometimes you know you're living in la-la-land thinking of that.

Yeah and then we undid all that good work by selling RVP and Song. Id be happy with similarish signings again this summer, so long as we dont sell any key players to fund them.

Yeah and then we undid all that good work by selling RVP and Song. Id be happy with similarish signings again this summer, so long as we dont sell any key players to fund them.

We undone it by selling RVP, Song was never good enough and no better then decent not top quality.

Hopefully this season were not subjected to another drawn out summer transfer of one our better players leaving and I honestly ( could be wrong) don't think we will.

We undone it by selling RVP, Song was never good enough and no better then decent not top quality.

Hopefully this season were not subjected to another drawn out summer transfer of one our better players leaving and I honestly ( could be wrong) don't think we will.

Song wasn't good enough and RVP couldn't be made stay, wouldn't have worked well for either parties.
    Wenger made the necessary purchases that he didn't in previous seasons, they aren't of the highest quality, but collectively we are capable of 3rd, but we are having an off season, rediscovering our style and traits.
    I believe Wenger will make at least one quality addition with possibly one or two decent players and I think we will reap the benefits. I can't wait for the last day of transfer deadline already, oh the excitement :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

to be honest if we are not going to sign some world class players they can stay where they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

It's going to be odd that Sagna is the only player we're not sure about this summer. Reckon both sides want to stay/keep, but if a good offer comes in he will be off. Jenkinson is good enough to take his place so it isnt a huge worry.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    It's going to be odd that Sagna is the only player we're not sure about this summer. Reckon both sides want to stay/keep, but if a good offer comes in he will be off. Jenkinson is good enough to take his place so it isnt a huge worry.

I suspect we will sell verm too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

If we make signings of the standard of Cazorla, Podolski and Nacho this summer then I have no problem. Not really too pushed about Verm or Sagna leaving as long as they are replaced.

What would people think of Micah Richards? Arsenal fan (?) and can play RB or CB. Just saw someone mention in the transfer thread that he might be on the way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I presume sagna will be looking for a 3 or 4 year deal. I cant see us offering him the terms he wants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

What would people think of Micah Richards? Arsenal fan (?) and can play RB or CB. Just saw someone mention in the transfer thread that he might be on the way out.

Always rated him, think we would've had him already if it wasn't for those pesky oil shiekhs.

Can't see it happen though, unlike us city can afford to sell to whomever they want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I presume sagna will be looking for a 3 or 4 year deal. I cant see us offering him the terms he wants

We should. Fact is we'll never be able to get someone in of his calibre for a reasonable sum. He's the perfect mentor to Jenkinson and there'll be plenty of games for them both to play.

We shouldn't be selling Vermaelen either imo; 4 CBs should be the minimum. United have it with Vidic, Ferdinand, Evans and Jones. Don't see why we shouldn't have similar; again its not like there'll be shortage of games for them. We always seem to get stretched Nov - Feb every year.

Two competing players that the manager trusts for every position should be the minimum imo. At the moment I can only safely say that the full back positions are where I'd be happy that this is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

They will leave (some out of contract some for other reasons)

Fabianski
    Sagna
    Arshavin
    Chamakh
    Bendtner
    Squillaci

*Striker required as highlighted by Wenger's attempt to buy Villa

*Will Arshavin be replaced? On big wages so will be a big help financially but we are flooded with midfielders

*Pretty sure Sagna wants out at this stage

*Wenger tried to sign a keeper last summer so surely means he doesn't trust Chezzy. Fabianski out?

A lot of these depend on top 4 either way I guess

cson wrote: »
    We should. Fact is we'll never be able to get someone in of his calibre for a reasonable sum. He's the perfect mentor to Jenkinson and there'll be plenty of games for them both to play.

We shouldn't be selling Vermaelen either imo; 4 CBs should be the minimum. United have it with Vidic, Ferdinand, Evans and Jones. Don't see why we shouldn't have similar; again its not like there'll be shortage of games for them. We always seem to get stretched Nov - Feb every year.

Two competing players that the manager trusts for every position should be the minimum imo. At the moment I can only safely say that the full back positions are where I'd be happy that this is the case.

Agreed

Id give him the deal he wants in a heartbeat. He's getting close to his best again. Id much rather have him for the next 2 seasons than have Jenko come in and try to take over.

A slow transition from Bak to Jenko would be best for everybody imo

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    They will leave (some out of contract some for other reasons)

Fabianski
    Sagna
    Arshavin
    Chamakh
    Bendtner
    Squillachi
    Ammened accordingly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,121 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Ammened accordingly
    I'd add Diaby to that list except he's injured so wouldn't pass a medical anywhere.

Edit: I just spotted that it's a list of soon to be free agents.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement