Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Quazzie wrote: »
    I'd add Diaby to that list except he's injured so wouldn't pass a medical anywhere.

Edit: I just spotted that it's a list of soon to be free agents.

lol @ Diaby

Arsene should of done a SafeStyle UK windows special BOGOF offer with these players last summer

Bendtner had a great chance at Juve and just decided to get fat instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

I'd sign:

-Begovic and Huth from Stoke in double swoop SHOCKER

-Coleman from Everton. Turning into a quality right back, great at getting forward, young. Really like him.

-If not Huth, then Lescott from City.

If we got those in, I'd sell Verm, Fabianski and Sagna to help balance the books.

I appreciatye that a pairing of Huth and Mert would be awesome in the air, but comical when dealing with balls behind them.

Up front then, I like Hamsik at Napoli. We know who the beast is at Napoli, but we won;t be getting him, or Falcao. Hamsik is that slightly below their level player we can get, should get, and if we sign intelligently we can compete against the Cavani-filled teams of this world.

We have bene linked with Jovetic too, but I honestly know very little about him. I've seen a few Fiorentina games on Setanta, he looked grand.

We've also been linked with Lyon DM Gonalons.

Lyon are managed by ex-kegend Remi Garde. Perhaps we could strike up a relationship there by loaning Coquelin to them?

I think Coquelin will be good, but he's young and needs time to develop.

A spell with Lyon for the season (or even two) could be very good for him.

Arteta won't be around forever, Coquelin may be well placed to play a significant role once he retires/starts to play fewer games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

meriwether wrote: »
    I'd sign:

-Coleman from Everton. Turning into a quality right back, great at getting forward, young. Really like him.

If we got those in, I'd sell Verm, Fabianski and Sagna to help balance the books.

I appreciatye that a pairing of Huth and Mert would be awesome in the air, but comical when dealing with balls behind them.

Up front then, I like Hamsik at Napoli. We know who the beast is at Napoli, but we won;t be getting him, or Falcao. Hamsik is that slightly below their level player we can get, should get, and if we sign intelligently we can compete against the Cavani-filled teams of this world.

We have bene linked with Jovetic too, but I honestly know very little about him. I've seen a few Fiorentina games on Setanta, he looked grand.

This has to be a joke post :eek:.

Hamsik isn't even a CF.

This has to be a joke post :eek:.

Hamsik isn't even a CF.

I know he's not a CF.

I'd like for you to point out where I said he was.

• Advertisement

I know he's not a CF.

I'd like for you to point out where I said he was.
    I'd sign:

;)

Also suggesting we brin in Huth or Lescott is crazy neither are a step above what we already have, nor is Coleman. We as fans shouldnt be concerning ourselves with balancing the books and selling our player to bring more of the same that's crazy way of thinking to me. Always, always strive for better.

We brought in players of Podolski and Cazorla standard last summer at a minimum thats what we should be aiming for not the Robert Huths of this world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

;)

Also suggesting we brin in Huth or Lescott is crazy neither are a step above what we already have, nor is Coleman. We as fans shouldnt be concerning ourselves with balancing the books and selling our player to bring more of the same that's crazy way of thinking to me. Always, always strive for better.

We brought in players of Podolski and Cazorla standard last summer at a minimum thats what we should be aiming for not the Robert Huths of this world.

I wouldn't mind Begovic but no one else who plays for that club

;)

Nowhere there did I say he's a CF.

I used Falcao and Cavani as an illustration of a player we can't get - Rather than Hamsik being their positional equivilant we can get. Which he isn't. He's a player we can get, who plays as an attacking midfielder. Not a CF.

In relation to Huth, you have to ask yourself who will come to Arsenals subs bench as back up for Kos/Per. By definition, nobody world class.

We need back up for them to a certain standard who is also gettable - thats Huth/Lescott.

Coleman has come on in eaps and bounds this season. Ask any Everton fan.

greendom wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind Begovic but no one else who plays for that club

Its not like I suggested Shawcross, now is it?

Nowhere there did I say he's a CF.

I used Falcao and Cavani as an illustration of a player we can't get - Rather than Hamsik being their positional equivilant we can get. Which he isn't. He's a player we can get, who plays as an attacking midfielder. Not a CF.

In relation to Huth, you have to ask yourself who will come to Arsenals subs bench as back up for Kos/Per. By definition, nobody world class.

We need back up for them to a certain standard who is also gettable - thats Huth/Lescott.

Coleman has come on in eaps and bounds this season. Ask any Everton fan.

You said up front I like Hamsik ;), we have no need for an attacking midfielder we already have pletny of players who can fill that role one of the few areas we are not lacking quality.

We shouldnt be looking for players to come sit on the bench, we bring in players to fight for positions always strive for better and let them fight it out, no good player will be afraid of the challenge and will instead relish the fight for places no player should be or think they are untouchable in the team, Huth or Lescott not good enough not even close, I dont want more benchwarmers.

Coleman has come on and I do like him but is he better than Sagna or Jenks no.

• Advertisement

You said up front I like Hamsik ;), we have no need for an attacking midfielder we already have pletny of players who can fill that role one of the few areas we are not lacking quality.

We shouldnt be looking for players to come sit on the bench, we bring in players to fight for positions always strive for better and let them fight it out, no good player will be afraid of the challenge and will instead relish the fight for places no player should be or think they are untouchable in the team, Huth or Lescott not good enough not even close, I dont want more benchwarmers.

Coleman has come on and I do like him but is he better than Sagna or Jenks no.

Yes, up front is Hamsik, an attacking midfielder.

What attacking central midfielders do we have in a team that plays 4-5-1 and hence needs a lot of mideielders in the squad?

Rosicky, Jack and Santi. Rosicky is 30+ and injury prone. Jack needs to be nurtured, noit rushed, and Santi at this stage is exhausted.
    Hamsik would be a world class addition.

In relation to Lescott and Huth, you clearly rate Kos and Mert much higher than I do, because Lescott had a great season for City last season, but now cannot get his place ahead of Kompany, who is world class, and Nastasic, who also looks like he will be a world beater. He's pretty damn good, is English, affordable and would give Arsenal great options. He could well start, TBH.

As for Jenks being better than Coleman - we all love Jenks, but come on now, lets be serious here for a moment.

Next you'll temm me Frimpers is better than Coquelin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,121 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

What attacking central midfielders do we have in a team that plays 4-5-1 and hence needs a lot of mideielders in the squad?

Rosicky, Jack and Santi. Rosicky is 30+ and injury prone. Jack needs to be nurtured, noit rushed, and Santi at this stage is exhausted.

In relation to Lescott and Huth, you clearly rate Kos and Mert much higher than I do, because Lescott had a great season for City last season, but now cannot get his place ahead of Kompany, who is world class, and Nastasic, who also looks like he will be a world beater. He's pretty damn good, is English, affordable and would give Arsenal great options. He could well start, TBH.

As for Jenks being better than Coleman - we all love Jenks, but come on now, lets be serious here for a moment.

So we're already playing 4-5-1 and you want to use an attacking midfielder in the centre forward role? :confused:

Quazzie wrote: »
    So we're already playing 4-5-1 and you want to use an attacking midfielder in the centre forward role? :confused:

No.

Am I very unclear, or something? Maybe this is my fault. I'l try to be more straightforward in the future.

Anyhow, I would like to sign Hamsik as an attacking midfielder to complement/improve our current options.

I would also like a CF. Who is not Hamsik. Because he isn't one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I think you are being perfectly clear Meriwether and tbh I agree with you on alot of your points, those saying that Lescott, Coleman, or Begovic wouldnt be an improvement are living in cuckoo land.

Lescott is better than Vermaelan and Squillacci combined, is a league winner, english and can cover full back aswell, Coleman has had a far more consistent season than Sagna who was pretty poor for a number of months and is 6 years he's junior, and can play in Midfield if needed, again a no-brainer. Begovic has been in the top 3 keepers in the league this year IMO, somewhere Fabianski is well off and Szczesny despite hes admirers here will never reach untill he gets hes head out of he's hole tbh.

Granted Robert Huth was taking things a bit far I think :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

I don't really give a flying f**k who we buy, so long as the reason we are buying is to strengthen, and not to replace. This selling policy just has to stop.

So we have Rosicky, Cazorla, Wilshere and Ox who Wenger and the Ox himself sees playing there in the future and yet you want to buy Hamsik so four to five players for one single position on the field? Makes no sense when we have other positions in more dire need of improvement.

So in your own words Kommpany is world class and you want to buy Lescott who isnt? He was never good enough for City in the first place and Jagielka was always the better of the two when he was at Everton. I never said Kos or Merts are untouchable but Lescott is not a step up on either imo, Also what makes yeh think he would be affordable? On Huth your smoking crack and deluded.

Yeh serious Jenks is and will be better than Coleman, I wouldnt say no to Coleman but my first preference would be to keep Sagna and not bring in any RB's this season.

No but Frimpong had more potential a couple of years ago Wenger sung his praises and expected loads even stating he would be an England international sadly though injuries ruined his development and at the moment Coq is the better player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Huth is at Stoke for a reason. Just cause he looks good there getting in blocks and headers with 2 out and out DMFs sitting in front of him, it doesn't mean he'd be any use for us. Also Stoke have a **** defensive record this season anyway.

Coleman would be OK but no great improvement. Probably an OK signing if Sagna goes.

Lescott would be a bad idea. There's a reason Mancini isn't playing him and we should pay attention to that - like we should have paid attention to Jose not playing Gallas as a centre half and Fergie being willing to let Silvestre go.

So we have Rosicky, Cazorla, Wilshere and Ox who Wenger and the Ox himself sees playing there in the future and yet you want to buy Hamsik so four to five players for one single position on the field? Makes no sense when we have other positions in more dire need of improvement.

So in your own words Kommpany is world class and you want to buy Lescott who isnt? He was never good enough for City in the first place and Jagielka was always the better of the two when he was at Everton. I never said Kos or Merts are untouchable but Lescott is not a step up on either imo, Also what makes yeh think he would be affordable? On Huth your smoking crack and deluded.

Yeh serious Jenks is and will be better than Coleman, I wouldnt say no to Coleman but my first preference would be to keep Sagna and not bring in any RB's this season.

No but Frimpong had more potential a couple of years ago Wenger sung his praises and expected loads even stating he would be an England international sadly though injuries ruined his development and at the moment Coq is the better player.

This is starting to get ridiculous. Kompany is world class and better than Lescott. Kompany is not for sale. We won't be buying Kompany. We won't be buying anyone of Kompanys class in that position. Anyone.
    Is that clear?
    Hence, whoever we buy will be worse than Kompany's class. Because thats logical. But just because they are worse than Kompany doesn't mean they are bad. All our current defenders are worse than Kompany. Every single one. But we get by. And we need good competition for the CB's. We need 4. Johnny Evans isn't as good as Kompany, but he does a damn fine job when he has to step in for the first two. I presume you also wouldn't sign Johnny Evans, because even though he would add depth to our squad, would perform well when called upon and may even start, he isn't as good as Kompany?

Either you don't understand the concept of squad depth, or you have unrealistic ambitions of who we will be signing.

We won't be signing a striker of the class of Cavani or Falcao. We won't be signing a midfielder the class of Gotze. We won't be signing Hummels or Badstuber in the centre. We won't be getting Philip Lahm as fullback.

We are signing players of a certain quality. We also need a 23 man squad. That is, we need people to sit on the bench, or play irregularly. No top class player accepts that. Hence, your back up is logically not as good as your starting 11.

Lets list out the AM's we have:
    Wilshere: Injury prone. Needs to eb minded so we have him for ten years, not 6 months
    Cazorla: World class. Can play elsewhere.
    Rosicky: Old. does job when required. Not long term prospect.
    Ox: Utterly unproven. Utterly. Wouldn't start in this role for any other top 4 team yet. Has massive potential. So had Cesc, but so had Aliadiere.

So, we don't have 4 players for one spot next season if we want to challenge in three competitions. And secondly, at any one time, 2 of the above are playing.

gosplan wrote: »
    Huth is at Stoke for a reason. Just cause he looks good there getting in blocks and headers with 2 out and out DMFs sitting in front of him, it doesn't mean he'd be any use for us. Also Stoke have a **** defensive record this season anyway.

Coleman would be OK but no great improvement. Probably an OK signing if Sagna goes.

Lescott would be a bad idea. There's a reason Mancini isn't playing him and we should pay attention to that - like we should have paid attention to Jose not playing Gallas as a centre half and Fergie being willing to let Silvestre go.

Yossi?

Wasn't playing for Chelsea. Did a delightful job for us. So much so, Chelsea wouldn't let us have him again.

Anyone who thinks Lescott wouldn't add depth to our squad is mad.

This is starting to get ridiculous. Kompany is world class and better than Lescott. Kompany is not for sale. We won't be buying Kompany. We won't be buying anyone of Kompanys class in that position. Anyone.
    Is that clear?
    Hence, whoever we buy will be worse than Kompany's class. Because thats logical. But just because they are worse than Kompany doesn't mean they are bad. All our current defenders are worse than Kompany. Every single one. But we get by. And we need good competition for the CB's. We need 4. Johnny Evans isn't as good as Kompany, but he does a damn fine job when he has to step in for the first two. I presume you also wouldn't sign Johnny Evans, because even though he would add depth to our squad, would perform well when called upon and may even start, he isn't as good as Kompany?

Either you don't understand the concept of squad depth, or you have unrealistic ambitions of who we will be signing.

We won't be signing a striker of the class of Cavani or Falcao. We won't be signing a midfielder the class of Gotze. We won't be signing Hummels or Badstuber in the centre. We won't be getting Philip Lahm as fullback.

We are signing players of a certain quality. We also need a 23 man squad. That is, we need people to sit on the bench, or play irregularly. No top class player accepts that. Hence, your back up is logically not as good as your starting 11.

Lets list out the AM's we have:
    Wilshere: Injury prone. Needs to eb minded so we have him for ten years, not 6 months
    Cazorla: World class. Can play elsewhere.
    Rosicky: Old. does job when required. Not long term prospect.
    Ox: Utterly unproven. Utterly. Wouldn't start in this role for any other top 4 team yet. Has massive potential. So had Cesc, but so had Aliadiere.

So, we don't have 4 players for one spot next season if we want to challenge in three competitions. And secondly, at any one time, 2 of the above are playing.

Your right this is getting ridiciulous so ill make this simple so maybe you can comprehend it fingers crossed, Yes we all want squad depth but I want quality within that depth and an improvement on the players we already have the players you are suggesting are not improvements in anyway shape or form. Yes Lescott could do a job but is he better then Merts or Kos no would he challenge them or make them fear for there place no he wouldnt he would be a bench warmer of which we already have loads so why add more. You seem to want players who will add average depth but not quality and challenge. They dont have to be world class to do that but they do need to be of the quality of Cazorla and Podolski something which Lescott and Huth arent.

Cazoral can play elsewhere but has been seen numerous times he plays best in the AM role, so you admit we have four players who can play AM yet you want another.

Never mind the positions we crave strength in the most of CF and DM. Of all the position on the team AM is the last one I would look at, our transfer budget is needed more so in other positions.

• Advertisement

Yossi?

Wasn't playing for Chelsea. Did a delightful job for us. So much so, Chelsea wouldn't let us have him again.

Anyone who thinks Lescott wouldn't add depth to our squad is mad.

Chelsea wouldnt let us have him back? We didnt want him back thats why he never signed not because Chelsea wouldnt allow it.

Lescott would exactly be like Yossi, Yossi while had admirable character and worked hard added nothing to the squad really hence why we didnt take him back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

No deals can really be done with any reasonably top class player unless and until 3rd place is sewn up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,502 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If Sagna leaves I would certainly buy Coleman if possible.
    I think he has pace and guts and I have been really impressed with him.

If Sagna leaves I would certainly buy Coleman if possible.
    I think he has pace and guts and I have been really impressed with him.

A huge fan of Coleman but look how low we are aiming. Our club has gone to sh**e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,502 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    A huge fan of Coleman but look how low we are aiming. Our club has gone to sh**e

I think he has the ability and desire to be one of the best though.
    Lets hope we also get a few really big signings inc a big hard-tackling Yaya Toure type midfielder with a great engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Few stats here from OptaJoe. Mad stuff.

OptaJoe ‏@OptaJoe 1h

6 - Ronaldo has matched Marouane Chamakh and Burak Yilmaz by scoring in six consecutive Champions League games. Streak.

OptaJoe ‏@OptaJoe 1h

6 - Marouane Chamakh scored in six consecutive appearances for Bordeaux & Arsenal (3 apps for each) in March-Oct 2010. Highlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Lewandowski - only 24 and cost Dortmund something like €4 when they picked him up. Sometimes it's just knowing where to look - Wenger (or maybe Dein) was amazing at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

@SteveArchibald8: Just a note of interest, I offered lewandowski to Spurs when he was playing in Poland, for less than 5m! Pity!

:pac:

Deja Vu, I remember this time last year seeing the same posts about needing players for a role we already have many players competing for.
    Attack wise it could only be an out and out strike partner, Falcao, Jovetic, Lewandowski....

Apart from that luxury, it would be a luxury BTW, we need to reinforce the defence.
    And I mean a good one.

• Advertisement

Barcelona contacted Galatasaray to sign Muslera if Inter will reject the offer for Handanovic, according to Sky Italy.

Who else could Valdes go to? Is he good enough for us? He will only leave if they get a replacement...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

So what do people think, is this current team better than the one we had last year?

Personally I think it is better overall with a more even distribution of quality throughout the team. I think we have also gotten much better at closing out games this season, even if the team can create a small heart attack at times watching them go about it.

We have proper cover for LB/RB positions with good competition for places (hoping Sagna stays) and we have a strong midfield. We just need to figure out how to get whilshere and cazorla both playing well in the same team because pushing the Spaniard out wide does not work imo.

Get in a new CB this summer, add in a clinical poacher for a striker and we will be a strong unit for next season.

Need a proper DM, fullback who can cover either side, CB would be nice and either a couple of really good attacking players or a striker who scores 20+ in the league next year. Simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

ye need a fit wilshere wearing the armband. hope and think that lad will stay with ye for his career, best young player in pl in terms of what he will bring to a team imo. can see him being a great leader.

apart from fb i cant see a glaring weakness just that the general level of the squad is lacking a little sparkle, think one or 2 big signings or existing players making the step up could be massive for ye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

In a perfect world, massive surgery would need to happen on your team. There would only be one or two players left. But in the real world, a couple areas need strengthening quickly.

What realistically you guys need is a proper DM. So either buy one or convert Ramsey. He has the stamina and speed for it. Tell him to win the ball back, and quickly give it to somebody else. Tell him to never pass the halfway line. He is completely useless at everything else, but he could fill that role and it would save you buying one. His strict role also free's up arteta and wilshere to do what they do best.

You also need two new Centre halves. The ones you have aren't up to much. Per is far too immobile to play your high line and vermaelen plays like he is half asleep. Assuming Sagna stays, right back and left back are okay. Could be better but there are more important areas. Priorities and all that.

The third area is striker. Giroud is decent but you wont win anything with him. He isn't clinical enough. He isn't a top 4 striker. Podolski is but has fitness issues apparently. I would try to play him through the middle and see how it goes. But if he can't be relied upon, break the bank and go get Cavani :P It sounds silly but think about it. You have champions league football and can afford the buckets of cash it would take. You just have to be willing to spend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,121 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Kirby wrote: »
    In a perfect world, massive surgery would need to happen on your team. There would only be one or two players left. But in the real world, a couple areas need strengthening quickly.

What realistically you guys need is a proper DM. So either buy one or convert Ramsey. He has the stamina and speed for it. Tell him to win the ball back, and quickly give it to somebody else. Tell him to never pass the halfway line. He is completely useless at everything else, but he could fill that role and it would save you buying one. His strict role also free's up arteta and wilshere to do what they do best.

You also need two new Centre halves. The ones you have aren't up to much. Per is far too immobile to play your high line and vermaelen plays like he is half asleep. Assuming Sagna stays, right back and left back are okay. Could be better but there are more important areas. Priorities and all that.

The third area is striker. Giroud is decent but you wont win anything with him. He isn't clinical enough. He isn't a top 4 striker. Podolski is but has fitness issues apparently. I would try to play him through the middle and see how it goes. But if he can't be relied upon, break the bank and go get Cavani :P It sounds silly but think about it. You have champions league football and can afford the buckets of cash it would take. You just have to be willing to spend it.

One of the most ridiculous posts I've seen on this forum yet. There are that many flaws I wouldn't know where to start.

It so kind of assuring though to see just how much the average armchair fan underestimates us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Please, highlight the flaws. I enjoy a good discussion. :) Just saying "Your so wrong I don't have the internet paper to explain how!11!" isn't much fun....and it's a bit of an intellectual cop-out to be honest.

Secondly, do you live in London? No? That makes you an armchair fan too. Is you chair as comfy as mine?

And thirdly, I don't underestimate Arsenal. I don't overestimate them either. I see them for what they are. A solid enough team who will likely scrape into the top 4 every season. As they have proven consistently. They also lack the quality to win anything. As they have also proven consistently.

Where is the underestimation? Mertesacker IS too slow to play a high line. Vermaelen IS hugely error prone. Ramsey IS rubbish going forward. The evidence is there to see. You could argue the jury is still out on Giroud I suppose but I think we have seen him fluff enough chances to know he probably isn't a top level striker like RvP was. He might come good, but that's more faith than football judgement.

I dunno, maybe you took offense and that's why you reacted the way you did. I was merely posting my opinion to the question on whats wrong with the Arsenal team.

Do you not think your team has issues? What's so outlandish about my critique?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Please, highlight the flaws. I enjoy a good discussion. :) Just saying "Your so wrong I don't have the internet paper to explain how!11!" isn't much fun....and it's a bit of an intellectual cop-out to be honest.

Secondly, do you live in London? No? That makes you an armchair fan too. Is you chair as comfy as mine?

And thirdly, I don't underestimate Arsenal. I don't overestimate them either. I see them for what they are. A solid enough team who will likely scrape into the top 4 every season. As they have proven consistently. They also lack the quality to win anything. As they have also proven consistently.

Where is the underestimation? Mertesacker IS too slow to play a high line. Vermaelen IS hugely error prone. Ramsey IS rubbish going forward. The evidence is there to see. You could argue the jury is still out on Giroud I suppose but I think we have seen him fluff enough chances to know he probably isn't a top level striker like RvP was. He might come good, but that's more faith than football judgement.

I dunno, maybe you took offense and that's why you reacted the way you did. I was merely posting my opinion to the question on whats wrong with the Arsenal team.

Do you not think your team has issues? What's so outlandish about my critique?

Ya know, people make too much of the mertesacker being too slow for a high line thing. From what I've seen that hasn't been an issue really. His mistakes have tended to be in and around the box not closing down shots well enough or making the odd silly mistake. Apart from that he's an excellent defender, as is Koscielny and they work we together.

Just on the left back thing, I don't think it needs attention at all. I would even argue that we have the best depth at left back in the league. Not the best single left back but overall the quality of the two of them is superb.

On the striker, yes I agree that there's no harm in getting a top quality striker to go with giroud.

Your right and your wrong in some ways. We do not need major surgery at all.

We do desperately need a proper Dm I've been of that belief for a number of seasons now. But Ramsey will never be a DM he has a good engine he is still young he just needs to cut out the need to always search for the killer pass or flicks your doing him a big dis service in your valuation of him just you wait till emerginstar see's that :p, also it wouldnt free up Arteta because he wouldn't be on the pitch it would more than likely be Cazorla and Wilshere in front of the DM two top class player who havent quite linked yet but im sure will ;).

Centre halves two you say? You seem to have forgotten our best CB and one a lot of fans of other clubs dont rate or think off but has been linked with Bayern this year.. Kos he is a top class CB was our best Cb last year stupidly lost his place at the start of this season but has won it back and shown his worth once again. We need one CB to pair with him with Mert third choice who once again gets lumbered constantly by rival fans he's to slow who dont see the calming influence he has on the defence he can get caught out sometimes but he is nowhere near as bad as the press make him out to be a terrific third choice CB. Verm is muck the last two seasons.

CF I agree Podolski should be tried there an excellent finisher, on Giroud he has quite a prolific debut season but your right for me the jury is out on him still, next season will be the making or breaking of him but another top striker I would more than welcome.

Full backs were good, AM were good, wings we have plenty of options but at a luxury I would take one, same with a goalkeeper but major surgery and one or two players only being good enough is being blind and harsh on some the players we do have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I think we need a goal keeper for competition

One more centre half

A DM then arteta and Ramsey can battle it out for Ramsey's position now

And a striker

Where are people seeing that santi can't play out wide??
    Some of his best performances came from the left with rosicky in the middle

The problem is he can't pay with wilshere but both players are too good for them not to sort that out

Add them 4 players with spending big on the striker I think we will push on leaps and bounds

I'm just not gonna reply to the Ramsey is rubbish post way to early in the morning to be defending him :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

Podolski is not a lone striker though, is he. Neither is Walcott.

Negligent from Wenger to leave us so short in a key area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I don't think it was too bad a post in all honesty. But you certainly got my back up with the highlighted bit. Arsenal have the fundamentals of a very good squad. There are differences of opinion in where best to strengthen but major surgery is certainly not required.

Your right this is getting ridiciulous so ill make this simple so maybe you can comprehend it fingers crossed, Yes we all want squad depth but I want quality within that depth and an improvement on the players we already have the players you are suggesting are not improvements in anyway shape or form.
    Begovic is an improvement on Szcz.
    Lescott, at the very minimum, is an improvement on Vermalen and Squillachi, and is easily good enough to slot in for Per/Kos, if not replace them.
    If you can't see this, thats fine. At this I'm indifferent, as it pointless trying to argue with logic as simplistic as 'but he's on the bench at City so he must be worse then what we currently have'.
    Sagna is on the way down, has phoned in a few performances this season, and in a 4-5-1 system with a big striker, is incapabl;e of crossing a ball into the box. Incapable. Coleman is improving leaps and bounds, is sound defensively, good going forward and young. Excellent long term prospect.

Huth is middling, but would do a job, and would be relatively affordable. Think Johnny Evans (oh, wait, sorry, in your world, everyone in the squad is of equal ability - this ability being world class. I've clearly been underestimating Chris Wreh, Luis Boa Morte and Wiltord all these years - they were as good as TH and Bergkamp).

Hamsik is an improvement on Rosicky and Ox. Adds depth to the squad, and can challenge Jack and Santi. Stuff apparently you are keen on, but depending on your argument, you are either for or against competition and adding quality to the squad.

Yes Lescott could do a job but is he better then Merts or Kos no would he challenge them or make them fear for there place no he wouldnt he would be a bench warmer of which we already have loads so why add more. You seem to want players who will add average depth but not quality and challenge. They dont have to be world class to do that but they do need to be of the quality of Cazorla and Podolski something which Lescott and Huth arent.
    Monreal.
    Not world class. Has been effective. See 'Lescott'.
    Cazoral can play elsewhere but has been seen numerous times he plays best in the AM role, so you admit we have four players who can play AM yet you want another. Never mind the positions we crave strength in the most of CF and DM. Of all the position on the team AM is the last one I would look at, our transfer budget is needed more so in other positions.

I bolded the bit thats crap.

lets review the 4 that play for one position (even though two of them play at any one time, ergo its 4 for 2 positions:

Cazorla: World class.

Jack: World class. Injury prone, needs to be minded, not thrown in because our squad is thin. If you don't get this point, then you haven't seen the Everton and Fulham games. Did you see them? do we have 4 players for one position? If so, why did we rush Wilshere back when he clearly wasn't fit, and put in two bad performances?

Rosicky: Injury prone. Old. Not long term prospect. Ideal squad man.

Ox: Young. Not ready for the position next season. Great prospect.

Yes, there's no place for a new AM here. None at all.

TheCoolWay wrote: »

Have you watched him this season?

Even signing them 4 players I mentioned I reckon out starting 11 on the first day of next season won't see much change
    My prediction is

Secz
    Jenks. Mert. Kos. Gibbs
    Gonalons
    Wilshere Ramsey
    Walcott. Jovetic. Santi

Even signing them 4 players I mentioned I reckon out starting 11 on the first day of next season won't see much change
    My prediction is

Secz
    Jenks. Mert. Kos. Gibbs
    Gonalons
    Wilshere Ramsey
    Walcott. Jovetic. Santi

Jenks as first choice RB would be a major step backwards.

Huth is middling, but would do a job, and would be relatively affordable. Think Johnny Evans (oh, wait, sorry, in your world, everyone in the squad is of equal ability - this ability being world class. I've clearly been underestimating Chris Wreh, Luis Boa Morte and Wiltord all these years - they were as good as TH and Bergkamp).

The problem with this is that we're pretty much fine in terms of middling/good players to fill out the squad. What we really need is a couple more players of the quality of Cazorla to make our squad and first team better.

The problem with this is that we're pretty much fine in terms of middling/good players to fill out the squad. What we really need is a couple more players of the quality of Cazorla to make our squad and first team better.

Yes, but I'm nto saying we shouldn't sign them. We need depth in general - top players, and good squad players.

Look at some of the dodgy characters we've wheeled in in recent years to cover gaps when injuries happen - Squillachi, Eboue, Chamakh, Santos, Mannone. Young players wheeled in when they are too undeveloped - think 8-2 against United, or Ramsey being overplayed, and then picked on by the crowd.

Our first 11 is good. Below that is where problems lie.

Huth is no Hummels, but he's no Squillachi either. Ar a pinch, if we had an injury crisis, he could do an adequate cover job.

BTW: Hummels was awful last night.

Jenks as first choice RB would be a major step backwards.

Maybe so that's not my preferred 11 just knowing wenger I reckon that's the 11 he will go for. Can't see major change

Yes, but I'm nto saying we shouldn't sign them. We need depth in general - top players, and good squad players.

Look at some of the dodgy characters we've wheeled in in recent years to cover gaps when injuries happen - Squillachi, Eboue, Chamakh, Santos, Mannone. Young players wheeled in when they are too undeveloped - think 8-2 against United, or Ramsey being overplayed, and then picked on by the crowd.

Huth is no Hummels, but he's no Squillachi either. Ar a pinch, if we had an injury crisis, he could do an adequate cover job.

Yes but currently (i.e this season) that hasn't really been an issue. I honestly can't remember looking at a team sheet recently and cursing because Squillachi or Denilson the likes is in it (well ... now that Santos is gone). I'm happy with the depth we have, maybe a 4th choice CB when Squillachi and Djourou go sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Id rather have a great first team than a good one. ramsey and arteta could easily be replaced by just one excellent DM on the pitch, all our CBs are good, we really need to be buying an excellent one.

Sycny is very likable but is he good enough? some games I've seen says yes, but I've also seen games he's been terrible. Very much up in the air but I think we should replace him.

I think we need a left winger too, we seem to have a lot of players that can play there but noone that's world class or at least above average.

I think we need a striker too, Giroud has been good but that's about it, we kinda stick up for him because the media has labelled him terrible, he's not terrible but we should really be looking for someone that's better.

For me priorities have to be DM, striker, keeper, defender/winger in that order.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement