Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Is Robert Huth seriously being suggested as a potential buy for Arsenal? How did anyone type that with a straight face?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

cson wrote: »
    Is Robert Huth seriously being suggested as a potential buy for Arsenal? How did anyone type that with a straight face?

As a potential back up CB (for presumably not a lot of money) to replace Squillachi and Djourou when both leave in totality?

Or should we go into the season with 3 CB's for two positions?

Sorry, I forgot. We should get Thiago Silva. Thats the level we are at here. Or Kompany. Anything else is a lack of ambition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronjo

A guy I know was at the Q&A with Wenger last week and here are some of Wengers comments/admissions which are quite scary realy.

1. He admits Cazorla and Wilshere cannot play together in midfield as not strong enough in the tackle.
    2. Walcott and Podolski cannot really both play on the wings at the same time as no tracking back.
    3. He said there are 4 leaders in the team... Mert, Arteta, Giroud and....... Fabianski!!! doesnt say much for the club captain.
    4. He wanted RVP to stay with Giroud as backup but found him too disruptive as he had already agreed to go to United.
    5. He let Song go as he wanted a faster midfield and Diaby was supposedly on fire pre season and had Arteta and Ramsey as backup. Also he would have no problem having him back.
    6. He thinks Fabregas has lost his love for the game at Barca...... no mention of him coming back though unfortunately.

Not really very promising statements to be honest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I think there is a gap between the quality of Huth and that of Silva/Kompany tbh and thats what people are talking about, nobody expects the Cavani's and Hummels of this world but a level or so below that perhaps with the potential to get to the top is what they are hoping for and what Huth is not.

Players i've seen linked to that could be that level and not be inconceivable would be the likes of Jovetic or one of Gonalons & Capoue etc. Who could fill the CB void is a tough one but Wenger can always spring a surprise and unheart a gem, not everyone classed Kolo Toure in the top class of players when he signed nor did most realise how good Kos is and can be. An older experienced goalkeeper to rival your current number one would also be good and I guess Valdes could make sense.

The big thing for Arsenal would be not letting players go this time (give Sagna a 3yr deal if he wants it), with the obvious exception of deadweight like Arshavin & co whos wages could help fund the new players arrival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I think the defence is fine, to be honest. We should definitely want another good CB, but I think our first choice pairing of Kos/Mert are as good as pretty much anything out there, or not significantly behind, at the least, and Verm has had a poor couple of seasons, but I think he is still a decent 3rd/4th choice with the potential to be more if he gets a good run of form.

The keeper situation isn't a problem at all if we keep Fabianski. Two young, good keepers, who will only improve. We've been solid over the last while, and I think there is not much tinkering to be done at the back. The full back options are very good too, IMO, provided we don't have to replace Sagna.

I think our biggest problem is getting the best out of our midfield, and finding a real cutting edge up front. We have been a bit too blunt at times, and failed to convert possession into real chances.

Another striker is a must, also, we don't have enough depth there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

gosplan wrote: »
    Also Stoke have a **** defensive record this season anyway.

Really? What table are you looking at??

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah our defence is fine, we need to sign back up rather than replace what we have. We've conceded bugger all goals lately.

The problem with the team is not being able to break down the opposition when they set up to defend (though we've improved over the last couple of months in that regard). I think we need a top striker, a DM and a winger who can actually cross a ball.

If they could also figure out how to be a consistent threat from set pieces next season we'll be flying, corners in particular.

ronjo wrote: »
    A guy I know was at the Q&A with Wenger last week and here are some of Wengers comments/admissions which are quite scary realy.

1. He admits Cazorla and Wilshere cannot play together in midfield as not strong enough in the tackle.
    2. Walcott and Podolski cannot really both play on the wings at the same time as no tracking back.
    3. He said there are 4 leaders in the team... Mert, Arteta, Giroud and....... Fabianski!!! doesnt say much for the club captain.
    4. He wanted RVP to stay with Giroud as backup but found him too disruptive as he had already agreed to go to United.5. He let Song go as he wanted a faster midfield and Diaby was supposedly on fire pre season and had Arteta and Ramsey as backup. Also he would have no problem having him back.
    6. He thinks Fabregas has lost his love for the game at Barca...... no mention of him coming back though unfortunately.

I.e. United tapped him up. I wonder when was this agreement between RVP and United broached?

Puts his 'I'll always be a Gooner' declaration is the self-serving light it belongs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Our defence is fine as long as Koscielny and Mertesacker are considered our first choice CB pairing next season. We do need to get in a decent backup CB though as we've really gotten away with only have 3 CB's this season.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    In a perfect world, massive surgery would need to happen on your team. There would only be one or two players left. But in the real world, a couple areas need strengthening quickly.

What realistically you guys need is a proper DM. So either buy one or convert Ramsey. He has the stamina and speed for it. Tell him to win the ball back, and quickly give it to somebody else. Tell him to never pass the halfway line. He is completely useless at everything else, but he could fill that role and it would save you buying one. His strict role also free's up arteta and wilshere to do what they do best.

You also need two new Centre halves. The ones you have aren't up to much. Per is far too immobile to play your high line and vermaelen plays like he is half asleep. Assuming Sagna stays, right back and left back are okay. Could be better but there are more important areas. Priorities and all that.

The third area is striker. Giroud is decent but you wont win anything with him. He isn't clinical enough. He isn't a top 4 striker. Podolski is but has fitness issues apparently. I would try to play him through the middle and see how it goes. But if he can't be relied upon, break the bank and go get Cavani :P It sounds silly but think about it. You have champions league football and can afford the buckets of cash it would take. You just have to be willing to spend it.
    Are you a Liverpool fan? Turning Ramsey into a DM would be a bit of a Lucas job I would've said. :pac:
    As for the rest of your post, our best CB pairing when picked is fine. The criticism of Mertesacker is completely out of line with reality. In the two seasons since he joined he's made a few mistakes leading to goals (one of which involved a fairly serious injury) but his positioning is (generally) excellent and the whole team looks much more settled when he's there. I'd still like a better back-up CB though.
    I'm pissed at Wenger for never putting Podolski straight through the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84319773&postcount=4843

I wont lie I didn't even read that post because your clueless, its like banging your head against a wall,and I couldn't be arsed repeating myself again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

My thing about adding people like Lescott is that he'd only be a squad player.

Arsenal will never sign established top level players while the big boys are spending the money they are on transfers and wages.

Therefore, we need to sign players who are useful but may become 'world class'. Kos is a good example. He's good, first team at the moment, may become amazing in time but will always be at least a good squad player.

Though they're of use, if Arsenal's transfer policy was to only sign people like Arteta and Podski, we'd never have any top level players.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84319773&postcount=4843

I wont lie I didn't even read that post because your clueless, its like banging your head against a wall,and I couldn't be arsed repeating myself again.

Thats a big loss, especially the bit where you repeatedly illustrate your inability to understand the concept of squad depth, and that not everyone we sign will be world class, but that if we sign a squad player it doesn't mean we shouldn't try and improve the team simultaneously with other quality signings.

Its most likely that you never heard of Andy Linighan, Chris Wreh, Luis Boa Morte and Sylvian Wiltord. Or if you did, you thought they were as good as Tony Adams or Henry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,121 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

meriwether wrote: »
    Thats a big loss, especially the bit where you repeatedly illustrate your inability to understand the concept of squad depth, and that not everyone we sign will be world class, but that if we sign a squad player it doesn't mean we shouldn't try and improve the team simultaneously with other quality signings.

Its most likely that you never heard of Andy Linighan, Chris Wreh, Luis Boa Morte and Sylvian Wiltord. Or if you did, you thought they were as good as Tony Adams or Henry.
    I think what he is getting at is that our current squad are the Linighans, Wrehs, and Wiltords and we need to go out and find ourselves some Henrys, Adams and Bergkamps.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I think what he is getting at is that our current squad are the Linighans, Wrehs, and Wiltords and we need to go out and find ourselves some Henrys, Adams and Bergkamps.

Exactly we already have enough squad players like Arteta, Ramsey, Rosicky etc who can all do a good job provide decent cover why add more, we have depth we need to add quality not more average depth.

We keep adding depth without quality we will never improve or worse could end up in the same boat as Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,502 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

gosplan wrote: »
    My thing about adding people like Lescott is that he'd only be a squad player.

Arsenal will never sign established top level players while the big boys are spending the money they are on transfers and wages.

Therefore, we need to sign players who are useful but may become 'world class'. Kos is a good example. He's good, first team at the moment, may become amazing in time but will always be at least a good squad player.

Though they're of use, if Arsenal's transfer policy was to only sign people like Arteta and Podski, we'd never have any top level players.

The only problem with that is that you are taking a gamble with unproven signings. Proven players know the game and don't have to be taught. Plus gambles can fail big-time and be a waste of money and then you have to spend even more money replacing them and like Squillachi nobody wants them hence you're stuck with them while waiting for a sucker to come along.

Quazzie wrote: »

We have three CB's. Squillachi and Djourou are gone. How do you propose to resolve this?

We have three CB's. Squillachi and Djourou are gone. How do you propose to resolve this?

We buy a fourth one but we don't aim for Huth or Lescott we aim for someone will at least challenge for a first team spot not someone who will add depth to sit on the bench, buying players to simply add depth without quality is insanity. We'll end up with asquad full of Downings, Charlie Adams etc.

We buy a fourth one but we don't aim for Huth or Lescott we aim for someone will at least challenge for a first team spot not someone who will add depth to sit on the bench, buying players to simply add depth without quality is insanity. We'll end up with asquad full of Downings, Charlie Adams etc.

If you think Lescott wouldn't challenge Kos and Mert, you have either underestimated Lescott, or overestimated Kos/Mert.

I bolded the bit that you are trying to attribute to me that is absolute bollix BTW.

I'd be intrigued as to who you want to buy as a CB. Any suggestions?

If you think Lescott wouldn't challenge Kos and Mert, you have either underestimated Lescott, or overestimated Kos/Mert.

I bolded the bit that you are trying to attribute to me that is absolute bollix BTW.

I'd be intrigued as to who you want to buy as a CB. Any suggestions?

Nope its been said time and time again Lescott is not good enough Merts and Kos are both better, Lescott would warm the bench has never been good enough, Robert Huth was one of the worst suggestions I have ever seen and you cannot be taken seriously in any shape or form after that suggestion.

Who would I suggest im not sure, but Arsenal pay enough scouts a good wage to travel the world and find these players let them do there job instead of bringing in more dross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronjo

4. He wanted RVP to stay with Giroud as backup but found him too disruptive as he had already agreed to go to United.
    5. He let Song go as he wanted a faster midfield and Diaby was supposedly on fire pre season and had Arteta and Ramsey as backup. Also he would have no problem having him back.

I know I am quoting my own post but would be interested in peoples opinions about what Wenger said and surely its more interesting than the bitching about Joleon f*cking Lescott

Nope its been said time and time again Lescott is not good enough Merts and Kos are both better, Lescott would warm the bench has never been good enough, Robert Huth was one of the worst suggestions I have ever seen and you cannot be taken seriously in any shape or form after that suggestion.

Who would I suggest im not sure, but Arsenal pay enough scouts a good wage to travel the world and find these players let them do there job instead of bringing in more dross.

You keep calling Lescott 'dross', which is frankly moronic.

Lescott had an excellent season last season for City. This season, he has been replaced by Nastasic, who looks like he will be brilliant.

Is it on this basis he isn't good enough for Arsenal?
    Do you know how far back Kos and Mert would be behind Kompany and Nastasic if somehow they were in the City squad? Miles behind.

Lescott is better than Vermalen, for instance. And I reckon he's better than both Kos and Mert too, who are below-top-class CB's.

Huth, and you're really hanging onto this on the basis that you can't refute any other point I made was a suggestion, on the basis that he is experienced, solid enough, and if we got him for the right price would add depth to the squad.

You call him 'dross' but thats most likely based on the assumption that he plays for stoke/small club, so must be dross. I.e. its based on very little knowledge. None of the Stoke defensive unit are 'dross' - they are an effective unit. He's no Kompany, but calling him dross is just clueless.

I know I am quoting my own post but would be interested in peoples opinions about what Wenger said and surely its more interesting than the bitching about Joleon f*cking Lescott

Your right enough of talking shiite about Joleon fcuking Lescott, on Wengers comments I don't know I never really take much he says at face value he's a smart man and usually has a motive for saying things, he would make a brilliant politician like a lot of managers.

Plus he said what a lot of people already know no real shock, he does admit Wilshere and Cazorla have't played well together but Im sure he think they will and will find the solution.
    You keep calling Lescott 'dross', which is frankly moronic.

Lescott had an excellent season last season for City. This season, he has been replaced by Nastasic, who looks like he will be brilliant.

Is it on this basis he isn't good enough for Arsenal?
    Do you know how far back Kos and Mert would be behind Kompany and Nastasic if somehow they were in the City squad? Miles behind.

Lescott is better than Vermalen, for instance. And I reckon he's better than both Kos and Mert too, who are below-top-class CB's.

Huth, and you're really hanging onto this on the basis that you can't refute any other point I made was a suggestion, on the basis that he is experienced, solid enough, and if we got him for the right price would add depth to the squad.

You call him 'dross' but thats most likely based on the assumption that he plays for stoke/small club, so must be dross. I.e. its based on very little knowledge. None of the Stoke defensive unit are 'dross' - they are an effective unit. He's no Kompany, but calling him dross is just clueless.

I'm done

brickwall.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

hard to know what wenger is on about or his motives, the leadership comment that you pointed out was certainly interesting, and calling fabanski a leader, it sounds like he wants him to stay, even though he's playing well now, it'll be only a matter time before he'll make a mistake and a lot of them at that.

Verm being dropped and now this comment, it'll be an interesting summer for him.

Pod seems to be mentioned in everyone of wengers comments lately, maybe he wants to sell him?

also wilshere and and cazorla can't both play cm in my opinion, they both like that free role, I would rather see Jack shifted left wing instead of santi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,121 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

we should be assuming for Hummel not Huth for centre back. the aim o of any transfer window should be to bring in people capable of starting, Not warning the bench. we've enough people happy to do that at the club.

we should try improve the team Not the squad.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

What realistically you guys need is a proper DM. So either buy one or convert Ramsey. He has the stamina and speed for it. Tell him to win the ball back, and quickly give it to somebody else. Tell him to never pass the halfway line. He is completely useless at everything else, but he could fill that role and it would save you buying one. His strict role also free's up arteta and wilshere to do what they do best.
    Been playing rather too much Football Manager by the sounds of it.

Jolean who?
    We all know buying rejects doesn't work out well.
    None of the players we bought last summer were rejects, and I hope Wenger continues that form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Talk on Twitter about turning backs during the guard of honour on Sunday as RVP doesn't deserve respect etc. Whatever we think of him, I really hope this is just speculation and that the fans show the class that the Arsenal are renowned for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Talk on Twitter about turning backs during the guard of honour on Sunday as RVP doesn't deserve respect etc. Whatever we think of him, I really hope this is just speculation and that the fans show the class that the Arsenal are renowned for.

I so hope this happens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

batistuta9 wrote: »
    I so hope this happens

I really hope it doesn't. We'd be known as the most bitter bunch of losers is all of the land. However much I hate RVP and United this is a tradition which promotes graciousness and sportsmanship and Arsenal should not be the club to turn their backs on that. If we won the league we'd expect United to do it for us. Anyway it clearly is just silly speculation because there's no way someone like vwenger would allow that to happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Applaud the Champions onto the pitch then give 'em hell the second the game kicks off,

The more hostile it is, the better for Arsenal I think. Unless we let RVP waltz in and kill the game off after 5 minutes :/

Applaud the Champions onto the pitch then give 'em hell the second the game kicks off,

The more hostile it is, the better for Arsenal I think. Unless we let RVP waltz in and kill the game off after 5 minutes :/

100% this.

I really hope it doesn't. We'd be known as the most bitter bunch of losers is all of the land. However much I hate RVP and United this is a tradition which promotes graciousness and sportsmanship and Arsenal should not be the club to turn their backs on that. If we won the league we'd expect United to do it for us. Anyway it clearly is just silly speculation because there's no way someone like vwenger would allow that to happen

What the fúck can Wenger do? I assumed it was the fans

Is this about the players turning their backs? - which is ridiculous & as you say wouldn't be allowed to happen you think.

or the fans?

100% this.

he should be applauded for nothing & made known what's thought of him

none of this he deserved it pukefest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,502 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Well lets hope we don't sit back admiring them and letting them dictate the game. A few early thumps needed.
    We have shown them too much respect in our meetings of late.

I'm pretty sure the fans will let him know what we think of him but the game itself is the time to do that, not during the guard of honour. It's the whole United team that will be applauded not just him and it'd be pretty petty of us to go against sportsmanship and tradition just because he's in their team. I'd like to think we're better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

What the fúck can Wenger do? I assumed it was the fans

Is this about the players turning their backs? - which is ridiculous & as you say wouldn't be allowed to happen you think.

or the fans?

I thought it was the players. Couldn't see 60, 000 fans turning their backs. It would still be pretty classless if the fans did it although slightly more acceptable. Won't happen anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Are you a Liverpool fan? Turning Ramsey into a DM would be a bit of a Lucas job I would've said.

No, I'm not. :)

And it makes sense to be honest. Ramsey isn't good enough with the ball at his feet, and his finishing is awful. His mobility and stamina are good though so if he's going to be in your team, make the most of his abilities. Most Arsenal fans I talk to don't rate him highly and think he shouldn't start. Are they wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

100% this

• Advertisement

Been playing rather too much Football Manager by the sounds of it.

I coach football in real life. It's more satisfying. :)

a room full of kittens & pillows would be more hostile than the emirates

I get your point but note that Squallici was bought as a complete player with loads of experience.

In fairness then it's down to a difference of opinion on Lescott. If you reckon he's one if the best 4 or 5 CB's in the league, then buy him and start him.

Huth is average. Chelsea gave an opinion on him when they let him go. Plus if you look at how Stoke play and what is asked of their CB's, then look at how we play, you'd see very different demands. Stoke's style makes CB's look good, just like Trap's Ireland. We leave them exposed and make them look like clowns.

The same argument was made about Samba btw.

I'm pretty sure the fans will let him know what we think of him but the game itself is the time to do that, not during the guard of honour. It's the whole United team that will be applauded not just him and it'd be pretty petty of us to go against sportsmanship and tradition just because he's in their team. I'd like to think we're better than that.
    I thought it was the players. Couldn't see 60, 000 fans turning their backs. It would still be pretty classless if the fans did it although slightly more acceptable. Won't happen anyway

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Whoever turns their backs on the guard of honour are pathetic - no other words for it.

Turn our backs on them for been 20 odd points better than us? Yeah, that'll show 'em. We don't have to applaud them onto the pitch as fans, a muted entry would be fine for them. Anyway, aside from looking bitter little people, it would only rile them on and we don't need that.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I coach football in real life. It's more satisfying. :)
    Usain Bolt wins the 100 metres again! Meanwhile, the first baby in the creche to take his first steps, turns to his still-crawling comrades and proudly declares, "well, lads, as you can see I'm a bit of an authority. While this was a good performance from Bolt, where I think he left room for improvement was..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Today, well yesterday (Thursday), is nine years to the day since we won the league at WHL.
    a room full of kittens & pillows would be more hostile than the emirates
    We had a game a few years ago, against Liverpool I think, in which Adebayor got sent off. I remember thinking it was harsh but the crowd became very hostile and booed the hell out of any opposition player who even touched the ball afterwards. I think they spent most of the remaining time in their own half despite the man advantage due to the crowd rattling them.

Would love a hostile environment at the Emirates every week but so long as ticket prices remain so high, we wont be getting a hardcore group there every week that would make it work. The athmosphere of some Turkish matches (minus the violence and flares and whatnot) would make the majority of opponents terrifed of coming to the Emirates. As it is, its a nice day out for them unless we're on form and hammer them.

Shame we wont be getting anything close to that.

Usain Bolt wins the 100 metres again! Meanwhile, the first baby in the creche to take his first steps, turns to his still-crawling comrades and proudly declares, "well, lads, as you can see I'm a bit of an authority. While this was a good performance from Bolt, where I think he left room for improvement was..."

The babies he's talking to have yet to walk. That would make the baby in your example more knowledgeable than them, would it not? :) He also seems to have a good command of the English language for a baby too. I'd listen to him if I were you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

would ye take nani if united are letting him go?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

would ye take nani if united are letting him go?

Be crazy not to I reckon.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement