Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Be crazy not to I reckon.

doesnt seem to be wanted by saf anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

would ye take nani if united are letting him go?

Would I? Yes.

Will we? Probably not. He'd easily cost close to £20m and probably quite a bit of wage too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Would I? Yes.

Will we? Probably not. He'd easily cost close to £20m and probably quite a bit of wage too.

Paying 20 million for a player who isn't wanted? That would be fairly atrocious negotiating. I don't think even Liverpool would get roasted that badly....and that's saying something. I reckon you could get him for less.....if he was going. But I have a sneaking suspicion that he wont be sold. Everybody just assumes hes a goner but I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Who should we start up front on Sunday?

I note that Lescott was brought on last Sunday for City and put up front.

(I jest, I jest, no more Lescott).

I'd go for Podolski.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Be crazy not to I reckon.

Nani's a little twerp. However if he were our twerp, I'm pretty sure I could overlook it.

The only worry I'd have is that Utd to Arsenal would be a step down for him and his heart might not be in it.

Then again, he might work extra hard to prove a point ... but he doesn't seem like that type (though I admittedly know nothing about his application levels).

I'd go for it so long as we weren't reliant on him succeeding. We saw form a year or so of poor Arshavin performances that when Arsenal pay a bit for a player, we tend to put all our eggs in that basket.

Contrast that with Utd btw who could have gone an entire season without playing Anderson, Nani or Kagawa and still probably gotten the same points total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Jovetic rumours hotting up. Would still prefer Lewandowski :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

If there's was any chance of us getting the Pole, it was blown out of the water by his performance on Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Phoenix wrote: »
    Do ye wana take Torres off us?well pay ye:pac:

What did you lot do to that player ? It seems like he went from 27 to 47 overnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,502 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Can't stand the little twerp since his ball juggling days at OT when they were beating us. He really wanted to rub it in.
    Had it been a few years earlier he would have been carried off at our place the next time we played them. We are too soft now.

• Advertisement

Phoenix wrote: »
    actually he was pretty much the same as we bought him!

Great scouting !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

greendom wrote: »
    Great scouting !

You never heard of Roman Abramovich and his ego signings have you? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Not so sure if Lewandowski would be much better than Giroud with the way we play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I honestly think I've seen Jovetic play *maybe* twice. So YouTube Dance Song mega scouting aside I'm not really familiar with him.

Is he ok/good/great? Would his signing be similair to bringing in another player of Santi's calibre?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

I would hate nani.
    1 One we have Poldi, Theo, Santi , Gervinho and Rosicky the OX that can all play wide.
    2 if we are going for a wide player I think we could do much better than him
    3 I quite like the fact we dont have any little sh!ts in our team and if we were to change that he would need a hell of a lot more talent than him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Wenger and Arsenal's scouting department should embrace a fan scouting policy, were every so often a handpicked group of fans will be sorted together to scout out a player they collectively agree on and would report back to the team with first hand observations. The benefits would be, for the fans, involvement in the club and a nice holiday to boot, and for the scouting department, some extra help.

It would be a revolutionary approach to signing new players.

Again what we really need urgently is a big strong midfielder like Fellaini.
    That should be our priority in the summer.
    Then a good striker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronjo

Again what we really need urgently is a big strong midfielder like Fellaini.
    That should be our priority in the summer.
    Then a good striker.

He would be my first choice based on spending up to 25m on a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Today, well yesterday (Thursday), is nine years to the day since we won the league at WHL.

We had a game a few years ago, against Liverpool I think, in which Adebayor got sent off. I remember thinking it was harsh but the crowd became very hostile and booed the hell out of any opposition player who even touched the ball afterwards. I think they spent most of the remaining time in their own half despite the man advantage due to the crowd rattling them.

Would love a hostile environment at the Emirates every week but so long as ticket prices remain so high, we wont be getting a hardcore group there every week that would make it work. The athmosphere of some Turkish matches (minus the violence and flares and whatnot) would make the majority of opponents terrifed of coming to the Emirates. As it is, its a nice day out for them unless we're on form and hammer them.

Shame we wont be getting anything close to that.

The 2-1 vs Barcelona had an absolutely cracking atmosphere too iirc.

Tbh forget the Turkish stadiums; if you want a rocking atmosphere all we need to do is copy what happens in Parkhead of a European/Rangers night.

Part of the reason I'd half like to see Liverpool back in the CL is that the atmosphere in Anfield on CL nights was something else.

Yes.

Anyone who firstly improves the team and secondly improves the squad is a good signing for me. Nani is somewhat Walcottian in his form; he tends to get his goals and assists in bursts, but overall I think he'd ad something. You line him up against who's place he'd be taking and for me its Gervinho and for me he'd be a big improvement on the giant foreheaded one.

Just on this; in the summer transfer thread, Rene Adler was mentioned as being linked with us. By all accounts from the folks in there he's world class. He'd be a step up from Szczsney. I'd advocate signing someone like that because it immediately improves the team and gives Woj a target to aim for, to become better, because lets be honest, he's shown elements of complacency this season.

Its the same reason I think we should have signed Vertonghen last season. Sure it would have been a massive headache having 4 decent centre backs but it creates competition for places, challenges players to improve (Koscielny has been fantastic in this regard) and avoids us ever having to contemplate playing Squillaci there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Frisbee wrote: »
    I honestly think I've seen Jovetic play *maybe* twice. So YouTube Dance Song mega scouting aside I'm not really familiar with him.

Is he ok/good/great? Would his signing be similair to bringing in another player of Santi's calibre?

I haven't watched him much either but anyone I've come across that has is full of praise for him. Two examples from a random thread on reddit about him (Fiorentina and Juve fan's respecitvely)
    He's very, very good. Bullish, creative, and technical. Can play to the left of a front three or in a more withdrawn role but I always think he is at his finest through the middle. He's had many injury problems, but he's always come back quite strong from them. He's like a right-footed and more industrious and physical version of Van Persie in 2010 before Van Persie exploded into the monster he is now.
    He's brilliant already and is capable of becoming anything he wants in the game.
    I would have thought this was a long-shot at the start of January, but Fiorentina have already bought Giuseppe Rossi - though he's still a few months away from fitness - so maybe it is a little more likely. They have actually still performed quite well without Jovetic this season. I really hope it doesn't happen. Fiorentina are probably the most enjoyable side in Serie A at the moment.
    He is extremely good. He has almost everything - explosiveness, speed, technical prowess, can score outside the box, he creates chances, the whole package. And he's only 23, so he can still improve. In my opinion, for what it's worth, he probably won't go to Arsenal, since already there has been talk of him joining the absolute top clubs, like Madrid. If Arsenal manage to sign him it will be quite the coup. He's almost certainly better than anyone currently on their roster in terms of individual skill.
    What you can't get from YouTube videos of him, the intangibles I guess you'd call them, is qualities like his extreme initiative. He takes the ball from the midfield, moves it around in front of the box, looks for a good pass or a shot, he's a constant threat. That combined with his skillset make him a very effective second striker-type player.

Main issue seems to be potential injuries. Also I guess he's not the most prlific in terms of goalscoring this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Jovvy would present us with an Arshavin replacement / striker all in one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Am I the only one who wants to see gervinho up front on Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,121 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Am I the only one who wants to see gervinho up front on Sunday?
    Probably not. I'm sure he'd like to see it himself. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Summer signings Id be happy with at this stage

1.adler-gk from hamburg-top draw reliable and mature keeper

2.benteke-proven in premier league and is strong and direct and id prefer him to giroud to be honest

3.fellani-would be expensive and hard to buy from everton but would do wonders to our midfield would replace arteta though you'd have to think

A cb maybe aswell but if we got those three it would make a hige diference id feel and not impossible signings either all could be got for about 60 mill youd like to think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

2.benteke-proven in premier league and is strong and direct and id prefer him to giroud to be honest

3.fellani-would be expensive and hard to buy from everton but would do wonders to our midfield would replace arteta though you'd have to think

A cb maybe aswell but if we got those three it would make a hige diference id feel and not impossible signings either all could be got for about 60 mill youd like to think

Been realistic if we got alder, gonalons, jovetic, Williams

It would be a super summer

60 million?

4 signings we actually want?

Stop doing it to yourselves lads.

We will get a good striker, a backup goalkeeper and maybe maybe a midfielder.

If Sagna leaves, add a mid level experienced full back to that list. That's it.

I'd wager that the striker is the only one that will come close to exciting anyone.

Bookmark this post!!!

Not sure about Benteke yet. He needs to prove it over more than one season, just look at Odemwingie last season and he disappeared this year.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Not sure about Benteke yet. He needs to prove it over more than one season, just look at Odemwingie last season and he disappeared this year.

True but Benteke is still pretty young whereas Odemwingie is in his thirties. I could see someone like Benteke being a good addition to the squad but not the kind of player thats going to vastly improve the team. They'd wantto still sign the likes of Jovetic too.

If we started the season with Giroud, Benteke and Jovetic all in the squad at the start of next season we'd be in very good shape up front.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    True but Benteke is still pretty young whereas Odemwingie is in his thirties. I could see someone like Benteke being a good addition to the squad but not the kind of player thats going to vastly improve the team. They'd wantto still sign the likes of Jovetic too.

If we started the season with Giroud, Benteke and Jovetic all in the squad at the start of next season we'd be in very good shape up front.

Maybe and I hope we do sign some class striker but I firmly believe we need a big midfield boss like Fellaini or Toure above anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Dean H ‏@DeanLDN22 Protected account 1h

Arsenal are currently in negotiations for a striker and a goalkeeper. Confirmed.

Wonder who the keeper is?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Maybe and I hope we do sign some class striker but I firmly believe we need a big midfield boss like Fellaini or Toure above anything else.

Agreed, Feeillani should be our number one target imo.

dvemail wrote: »
    Dean H ‏@DeanLDN22 Protected account 1h

Arsenal are currently in negotiations for a striker and a goalkeeper. Confirmed.

Wonder who the keeper is?

OK, I was going to wait till they put it on the official site but it's me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

its very easy to name the attacking players but on the flipside i honestly cant think of an established cb (something we also need) that I would like, someone affordable, and not a backup but a first choice player

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

wonga77 wrote: »
    its very easy to name the attacking players but on the flipside i honestly cant think of an established cb (something we also need) that I would like, someone affordable, and not a backup but a first choice player

I think Adil Rami would be a great target to go after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

gosplan wrote: »
    60 million?

I'd wager that the striker is the only one that will come close to exciting anyone.

Bookmark this post!!!

Bookmark this post??

I think if we signed a cf, goalkeeper and a midfielder most of us would be delighted ;)

Although I do think we will sign a cb Wenger has to know 3 is not enough, unless he takes Djourou back but I don't think either of them want that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

wonga77 wrote: »

How about...

We offer Sagna + 10Million to PSG for Sakho ... He's the perfect player at CB.

Strong
    Quick
    French
    Mohawk Hairstyle

.... Now I must go and solve world hunger :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

gosplan wrote: »
    60 million?

Bookmark this post!!!

This is unfortunately the truth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Is Rosicky available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Hopefully the goalkeeper were rumoured to be in for is Julio Cesar.

Anybody rate Arturo Vidal, hes just the type of player we need to shore up the gap between defense and midfield would love it if we signed him.

We're going to have to strengthen properly over the summer whatever happens before the end of the season. City and United are well ahead of us and Chelsea have too many good players to stay where they've been this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Wigan are giving Spurs a game.

HazDanz wrote: »
    Wigan are giving Spurs a game.

Until 5pm I think our thread and this thread will be full of "Wigan" fans. :pac:

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Until 5pm I think our thread and this thread will be full of "Wigan" fans. :pac:

I would love Wigan to stay up as well so it could be a double plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Anybody rate Arturo Vidal, hes just the type of player we need to shore up the gap between defense and midfield would love it if we signed him.
    Would he be bothered leaving Juventus to join us though? With Llorente on the way, I think they'll be one of the strongest teams in Europe next year.

I would love Wigan to stay up as well so it could be a double plus.

If they start by nicking points from Spurs then so be it.

C'mon you Latics. :pac:

2-1 to the Lactics. Great effort so far second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

2-1 to the Lactics. Great effort so far second half.

Great stuff! Hope it stays that way! Wouldn't want to be a Villa fan though!

• Advertisement

DenMan wrote: »
    Great stuff! Hope it stays that way! Wouldn't want to be a Villa fan though!

Well Spurs look out of ideas and Wigan are closing down hard so it's looking good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement