Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So it takes 25,000 for Enda Kenny to listen up!

• 21-01-2013 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

Looking at the reports that Enda Kenny was left rattled by the 25,000 strong protest in relation to the anti-abortion, would it take similar numbers to do the same in relation to Irish economy and budgets.....
    "I think the Taoiseach is rattled, to be frank, that 25,000 people showed up on a cold January afternoon in Dublin,
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mullen-taoiseach-rattled-by-protest-turnout-581960.html

Don't want to discuss the issue they were out to point out as that is discussed enough on Boards but rather the fact we now know it takes these kind of numbers for him to pay attention, will this change the protests in relation to all other matters?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Its funny how people will get up off their ar$es to protest at something like this and yet when it comes to politics regarding the economy theres no interest. Whoever said old fashioned catholic ireland was dead and gone, got it very wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

This is my point exactly, yet the decisions that are being taken every day and that will affect the future generations seem to get very little support.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's hardly an objective assessment though. Ronan Mullen is a pro-life campaigner, so of course he's going to say the march had the Taoiseach "rattled".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Ronan Mullen can be safely ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

Where were these 25,000 when the country was being sold down the river by FF and the greens?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

Where were these 25,000 when the country was being sold down the river by FF and the greens?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Ardent wrote: »

Same place they were when the carers allowances were being slashed.
    Once you are past the labia they forget about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

I know its the third time pointing this out, but this is Ronan Mullen saying that quote. OP, do you have any links to back up your premise that don't come from a completely biased point of view?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

This is just my opinion but, 25,000 isn't that many people.....and did that figure come from the pro lifers themselves ?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »

Here is another 25000 protest
    Madrid+20+May.png
    ;) looks a bit different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

25,000 was the attendance reported by pretty much every media source, even those that are pro-choice, so I think it is a fair figure. The Gardai confirmed it also.

Why is everyone so surprised? The core of that campaign are elderly Catholics and it has a strong rural aspect. As we have seen over the past few years, the elderly and the farming community are by far the best groups at organising peaceful protests in this country. I live in a town that is used as a park-n-ride for every GAA fan from outside Leinster. The town centre car parks and train station car parks resembled All-Ireland final day for this march. It was ridiculous.

I know its the third time pointing this out, but this is Ronan Mullen saying that quote. OP, do you have any links to back up your premise that don't come from a completely biased point of view?

I am purely going by reports that were out there. Even if the reports are biased, there is still a lot more of the people out for this protest than there has been for others. It would seem people care more about the unborn than what happens to the born.

We will be suffering for years to come based on decisions of the people in government but don't seem to be able to organize a smart and widely popular peaceful protest. It always seems to get hijacked by one or the other extreme.

Why can't we all just show yo the government how unhappy we are with what they ate doing? You can't say Irish have no passion left it just seems to be directed at one or two issues only.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    Why can't we all just show yo the government how unhappy we are with what they ate doing?
    I know it's not a popular view, but maybe most people aren't as unhappy as you'd like to think?

I suspect most of us know that the government is making the necessary decisions to fix a broken economy, and - while not exactly happy about the impact it's having - we don't subscribe to the view that standing in the street is going to magically make our broken economy better.

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    I am purely going by reports that were out there. Even if the reports are biased, there is still a lot more of the people out for this protest than there has been for others. It would seem people care more about the unborn than what happens to the born.

We will be suffering for years to come based on decisions of the people in government but don't seem to be able to organize a smart and widely popular peaceful protest. It always seems to get hijacked by one or the other extreme.

Why can't we all just show yo the government how unhappy we are with what they ate doing? You can't say Irish have no passion left it just seems to be directed at one or two issues only.

Well, because I think there is huge exaggeration regarding anger and perceived unhappiness and people on internet forums almost hope we are unhappy and miserable. The recession was the best thing to ever happen SF and ULA and misery loves...

But back to topic on hand, eh, I would not dispute figures, I do think the picture of the protest and a similar picture I posted of 25000 people in Madrid looks astonishingly different. I would dispute Mullen's quote and will be glad when we vote to abolish the Seanad.

If you were to mix Dana, Michelle Bachman and Sean Brady, I am pretty sure Ronan Mullen would appear out the other side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

I think its quite believable tbh that Enda was rattled. Unlike people protesting about cuts that affect the lower paid, the people protesting at this event are people Enda Kenny and FG would court.
    IE Socially conservative people who are holding him to his promise on this issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

A large proportion of the rural population is still conservative Catholic. It was an eye opener for a born and reared Dub like me when I first moved to what I would have considered Satellite territory of North Wexford. Organisations like the Legion of Mary, which would have been largely defunct where I came from, are thriving here. Priests are still revered as pseudo saints whose every word is gospel, churches are reasonably well attended and are still the hub of many communities.
    While this is not, in itself, a bad thing it does show that the secular push still has a long way to go.
    Personally, I wouldn't be in favour of an abortion free for all but the limbo that medical personnel find themselves in is intolerable and one rally, large though it may have been, should not be allowed to deter the government or to overrule the wishes of the people or the decision of the Supreme Court and European Court.

bmaxi wrote: »
    A large proportion of the rural population is still conservative Catholic. It was an eye opener for a born and reared Dub like me when I first moved to what I would have considered Satellite territory of North Wexford. Organisations like the Legion of Mary, which would have been largely defunct where I came from, are thriving here. Priests are still revered as pseudo saints whose every word is gospel, churches are reasonably well attended and are still the hub of many communities.

I think people in Dublin and commuter areas still underestimate the power of the church, outside the Pale, so to speak. I was at a RC funeral for an in-law a few weeks ago in a rural area in the midlands and was struck by the fact that the pub, GAA club and church is without doubt still the hub of many communities.
    bmaxi wrote: »
    While this is not, in itself, a bad thing it does show that the secular push still has a long way to go.

Further to my comment above, you are correct. People who wish to break the hold that the church has on schools, political opinion and so on, have a long way to go.

COYW wrote: »
    Putting aside the massive hole that we have in our health finances, are you happy to pay for the abortion of a perfectly healthy baby, of a mother who is perfectly physically and mentally healthy? Let's say a young woman gets pregnant after a drunken one night fling. You are happy to pay for her abortion?

I really don't see what this has to do with the topic at hand or anything the poster you were replying to was saying...any hints?

I really don't see what this has to do with the topic at hand or anything the poster you were replying to was saying...any hints?

Sorry, I misread his reply. I thought he said that he in favour of free abortions for all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Was the Taoiseach at the event? The usual adage about opinions seems to apply here.

OP, what would you differently with regards to the Economy? And please, don't mention burning the bondholders. They aren't responsible for the massive deficits of the last 4 or 5 years.

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Was the Taoiseach at the event? The usual adage about opinions seems to apply here.

OP, what would you differently with regards to the Economy? And please, don't mention burning the bondholders. They aren't responsible for the massive deficits of the last 4 or 5 years.

What I would do different? A lot of things, firstly I would show people that I am willing to lead by example. I would ensure that many perks that are no longer affordable are gone sway with. I would have a clear transparent way for any expendature. I would start making people accountable for their actions...

I would reduce any double staffing and redeploy people to where they are needed. I would start tuning the country like any business which is trying to survive.

Than and only than you can ask people to help and to sacrifise further.

The problem seams to be with a lot of people who are opposed to what is happening are easily distracted with trivial issues and irrelevant points.

There needs to be unity. What I can't understand is why people on the walfare are not out there protesting? While their minimum payments are constantly targeted our politicians, councillors and high civil servants are living it up

You can't tell people keep squizing the belts and remain the 3rd highest paid in europe.

But this is like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas! Unless people start coming out in these kind of numbers there is no reason for them to change anything as they are not suffering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Morpheus wrote: »
    Its funny how people will get up off their ar$es to protest at something like this and yet when it comes to politics regarding the economy theres no interest. Whoever said old fashioned catholic ireland was dead and gone, got it very wrong.

It's mostly young people who are affected by the economy and it's mostly older people that are religious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I know it's not a popular view, but maybe most people aren't as unhappy as you'd like to think?

I suspect most of us know that the government is making the necessary decisions to fix a broken economy, and - while not exactly happy about the impact it's having - we don't subscribe to the view that standing in the street is going to magically make our broken economy better.

Agree with this, many people will bang on about how the Irish don't protest(despite the topic here) but truth be told we're not half as bad as Greece.

We'll get through it, we'll still be a backward country though.

Advertisement