Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco pet insurance what a bargain!

• 21-01-2013 4:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

So got a letter in the door from Allianz yesterday about renewing my guys insurance, one boxer, one normal kitty, they wanted €400, which is more than I paid last year and never claimed! I said feck this. I had heard good things about tesco so gave them a ring, got both insured for €250 with a standard policy, which was only €50 dearer than their value policy. Plus my excess has now dropped from €100 to €60 for the dog and €45 for the cat! Plus they have a 24 hour vetfone service, which you can call and talk to a vet nurse at any time.

When I talked to the vet nurse in my practice she said Allianz were the best when it comes to claims biut seriously I just couldn't justify the extra cost.

Anyone deal with claiming from tesco? How were they?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Just be careful,once you change companies, your pet will not be covered for ANYTHING it has previously suffered with before, even if it was only once, as its considered a pre-existing condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

This is my second year with Tesco insurance. I have the cheaper Value option which cost me €72 for the year which for the benefits it covers is well worth it. I have not had to make any claim on the policy but I did use the vet nurse phone facility which was great - rang with my query which they gave advice for and then they followed up later to see how my dog was. Also got a 5% discount since I have a Tesco club card and got value club points which was a nice bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

just be careful if it sounds too good to be true it usually is

also take andreacs advise

have they asked for a list of any pre existing conditions etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

just tried online to get a quite for my dog and it said "We're sorry, we cannot offer you a quote. Due to the information you have entered, we are not in a postion to provide you with a quote. Please refer to the Eligibility Criteria for further information."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I got the same fifi as they don't insure a dog on the RB list.

• Advertisement

TillyGirl wrote: »
    I got the same fifi as they don't insure a dog on the RB list.
    where is their list? I cannot find it. My dog is a dashund cross :confused:

just got quote with allianz of €152 with €100 excess for 2 1/2 yr old female dashund cross who is neutered and microchipped and only ever been to vets to get vaccinations and nails clipped :D...is this a good price?

Or...€127 for the Premium cover with 123.ie where excess is €69?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

fifib wrote: »
    just tried online to get a quite for my dog and it said "We're sorry, we cannot offer you a quote. Due to the information you have entered, we are not in a postion to provide you with a quote. Please refer to the Eligibility Criteria for further information."

I got the very same thing yesterday when I tried for a quote online, so I just rang them was sorted in a few minutes. Dachshunds are definitely not on the RB list. I think it's a real pity that some companies don't offer insurance for RB's, it's so unfair that the 99% of RB owners are punished because of the actions of the 1%.

just got quote with allianz of €152 with €100 excess for 2 1/2 yr old female dashund cross who is neutered and microchipped and only ever been to vets to get vaccinations and nails clipped :D...is this a good price?

Allianz are very good when it comes to claims I am told. I do prefer a lower excess though, compare both policies side by side and see what the differences are and make an informed decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

i was with Tesco in the UK when they first started and they were excellent. I had a bitch that still came into season even though she had been spayed, they paid for the operation to put this right, even though they don't pay for spaying. My vet thought it was probably because they were new in the market, so wanted to get a good reputation, not sure they would pay out now. But, my experience with them, for this and other claims was excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I think it's a real pity that companies don't offer insurance for RB's, it's so unfair that the 99% of RB owners are punished because of the actions of the 1%.

Um, not sure if I'm understanding you here...

We have a Rottie & a GSD & have secured insurance for both of them through Allianz. Of course their premiums were rated, but we did get cover. Same as the rating that we have for our Great Dane (who isn't on the RB list).

Ayla wrote: »

Um, not sure if I'm understanding you here...

We have a Rottie & a GSD & have secured insurance for both of them through Allianz. Of course their premiums were rated, but we did get cover. Same as the rating that we have for our Great Dane (who isn't on the RB list).

Ah apologies, I left out the some, will edit my post accordingly, :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

I'm with 123.ie and had to claim last year when my boy had a cyst and a histiocytoma removed. It all went very smoothly, the vet sent away the forms and I had my cheque within a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I think it all depends on what you need from your policy. We've been with Allianz for a few years and they pay the vet directly so we don't need to pay anything above our 100 euro excess. We've claimed a few times on ours and I find it reassuring that they cover pets for the whole of their lives. I know that our policy is going to go up again this year, it always does but we pay ours by monthly direct debit for our 2 cats and that takes the sting out of it. I can't remember exactly what it cost last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Tesco wouldnt give me a quote for my 2 german shepherds today

Advertisement