Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a cat food

• 21-01-2013 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Been feeding Meowing Heads but 2kg is nearly 15 euro and it doesn't last a month so wanted something good but slightly better value for money, maybe 10 or 11 for 2kg and something I can get quite easily, ie order online with free delivery!

Female spayed indoor cat approx 7 years old (and could do with losing a pound or two)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I buy the Meowing heads from England and it comes in a few different sizes so the bigger the bag the more economical it'd be. Have you had a look on Zooplus.ie for grain free dry cat food? One of my cats isn't too happy about having switched to the MH from the Royal Canin. We only switched a couple of months ago as our other cat put on a lot of weight on the RC and we need him to lose some weight.

I've been looking on Zooplus for some sample size bags to find a grain free one they'll both eat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

First of all you need to go for 10kg bags in general if you want to save money but a few examples:

Acana is a very high quality food; looks expensive but they eat less due to the high quality.
    Applelaws is also a good one.

You could also try some medium quality brands such as Royal Canin 7+ which a friend had great success with but it's relatively expensive due to not being sold in 10kg bags.

2 sites that I've found very good value for cat food and sundries are UK Vet and Vio Vet. Both deliver to Ireland. Vio vet will ship Feliway cheaper than I've found it in Ireland but UK Vet won't ship Feliway to Ireland for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Porta 21 sensible from zooplus is an excellent food
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/porta_21/feline_finest/170966

Grain free and all my cats love it. Its also reasonable in price but quality/ingredients wise is up there with the best more expensive brands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

We use applaws and buy it in bulk.
    I think, as has been suggested, this might be a better option. We pay 83 euro for 15kg and with 9 adult cats eating it we get about 6 weeks out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

maggiepip wrote: »
    Porta 21 sensible from zooplus is an excellent food
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/porta_21/feline_finest/170966

Grain free and all my cats love it. Its also reasonable in price but quality/ingredients wise is up there with the best more expensive brands.

Have to agree, very good food, mine thrived on it. They are both on diets at the mo so had drop it but would highly recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Be careful bulk buying for one pet. Dry food has a shelf life of about six weeks when opened. Storage in an air tight container can help that, but generally you're better off buying as much food as you can feed in a month and then getting another bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Be careful bulk buying for one pet. Dry food has a shelf life of about six weeks when opened. Storage in an air tight container can help that, but generally you're better off buying as much food as you can feed in a month and then getting another bag.

Yes, this is part of the dilemma/problem! Thanks all for the suggestions I am looking on Zooplus and doing my sums!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dead_tree

I feed mine Royal Canin Indoor. Usually get it for about 18 euro for 2kg. what do people think of that? It has grain in it. That Porto 21 is very cheap in comparison. Is it much better bacause it's grain free? It's very confusing to know what the best food is!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

dead_tree wrote: »
    I feed mine Royal Canin Indoor. Usually get it for about 18 euro for 2kg. what do people think of that? It has grain in it. That Porto 21 is very cheap in comparison. Is it much better bacause it's grain free? It's very confusing to know what the best food is!
    Anything with out grain, rice etc. is preferred as that's closer to their natural food they would hunt in nature.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Just a quick story, we initially started our guy on Select Gold which is MaxiZoo's own brand. Felt the likes of Royal Canin were just too expensive! 37 euro vs 21 for similar sized bags.

His poops were pretty foul smelling but we never thought it was abnormal. He was eating about 70-80g per day (in addition to half a pouch of wet).

On a visit to the vet, we were told he was a little heavy and could do with losing some weight. He is neutered and has a big appetite.

So we put him on Royal Canin Sterilized...

http://www.zooplus.ie/feedback/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/royal_canin/adult/126952

...and haven't looked back. Firstly, he only eats 50g of this compared to 80g of the other brand. In addition, this is a 4kg bag compared to 3kg. Finally, his poop barely smells at all and there is far less of it which is a massive bonus!

Because he is eating less and there is less poop (but getting better nutrients), we are saving alot on litter too!

So even though we are paying more for a bag, it is well worth every cent and is working out alot cheaper long term!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

I have recently discovered HappyCat are doing a grain-free version of their foods so I put them onto a bag of it about three weeks ago. It's expensive I suppose (34.99 4kg and I'm feeding six) but I will be buying it again!! They're eating way less, pooping way less and the stool is solid. And the cat who throws all new foods up at least three times has yet to do so! I couldn't justify spending so much on Royal Canin or Hills because of the amount of grain in them but this is definitely working well so far. Now I just need to wait for Zooplus coupons to come out :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

We've been using Vet's Kitchen & will likely never use anything else:

http://www.vetskitchen.co.uk/

I found it by chance at Asda over the border (haven't found it elsewhere & the online prices seem a bit much). £5 will feed our cat for a month (at 40g/day). The ingredients are very good (we've been mainly using the Salmon & brown rice but mix in the chix food occasionally):
    Composition:

Salmon (min. 51% includes: Salmon Meal min. 27%, Salmon min. 24%), Brown Rice (min. 13%), White Rice (min. 13%), Poultry Fat, Oats, Sugarbeet Pulp, Salmon Oil, Poultry Digest, Minerals, Pork Digest, Vitamins, Taurine (min. 1.2%), Cranberry (min. 0.09%), Nucleotides (min. 0.05%),fructooligosaccharides (FOS), mannanoligosaccharides (MOS)

Analytical Constituents:

Crude protein: 28%, Crude Oils and Fats: 16%, Crude Fibre: 2%, Crude Ash:7.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 17 msc1

Tuna is good if you can afford it

I store my dog food in a container from Woodies, one that clips down.
    The food is in it for 6 months, no problems at all with it. The cat food is stored for in the same container and is topped up regularly and we've had no probs.

Rommie wrote: »
    I have recently discovered HappyCat are doing a grain-free version of their foods so I put them onto a bag of it about three weeks ago. It's expensive I suppose (34.99 4kg and I'm feeding six) but I will be buying it again!! They're eating way less, pooping way less and the stool is solid. And the cat who throws all new foods up at least three times has yet to do so! I couldn't justify spending so much on Royal Canin or Hills because of the amount of grain in them but this is definitely working well so far. Now I just need to wait for Zooplus coupons to come out :P

Can you link me to that please.
    One of mine eats the xl happy cat and I would be interested in the grain free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

We are feeding ours dry food out of lidl in the red bags,we was spending €50-60 a month on food from zooplus but as money is restricted at the moment we have had to cut down but i am surprised at the way the cats have taken to it.they all eat it no problem and each one of there coats are nice and shiny especially the black one and they all look nice and healthy.
    Anyone any experiences good or bad with the lidl food?

Can you link me to that please.
    One of mine eats the xl happy cat and I would be interested in the grain free.
    I had a look at the ingredients in it on Zooplus and I didn't like the fact that 15% of it is banana flour:confused: Its the organic one thats grain free

msc1 wrote: »
    Tuna is good if you can afford it
    Tuna is more of a treat than a daily food though. Cats need Taurine and various vitamins and nutrients in their diet and they won't get that from tuna alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Feed the cat just once a day. Whatever you give it it will usually eat. Remember it's an animal, and if you were not around it would be chasing mice, rats and birds.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if its ok to post this here so mods feel free to delete.

http://www.munajuree.ie/cats/dry-cat-food.html

They have a 50% off on alot of foods. They have applaws, RC, iams, purina.

OP you might find a good food that you would like to try out.

Thanks for that I just had a look and they have Burns at 50% off so I think I'll order a couple of the 2kg bags tomorrow, 5 euro delivery fee is still a good deal!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Those are crazy prices! Gonna stock up on Applaws!

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/happy_cat/la_cuisine/299490
    That's the link for the happycat, but I may be switching mine onto applaws for a while with those prices!

Rommie wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Those are crazy prices! Gonna stock up on Applaws!

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/happy_cat/la_cuisine/299490
    That's the link for the happycat, but I may be switching mine onto applaws for a while with those prices!

I know, they've also got the Burns dog food at 30 euro for 15kg bag, I paid 55 last time, I'm stocking up!!

Unsurprisingly, I suppose, and annoyingly, that shop has now run out of applaws. Wish I had gotten a few more bags. Anyone know the best place to get applaws?

Yeah they were sold out when I tried to order on Friday. I got a few other bits and pieces though, I'll be keeping an eye on that site in future though. I ordered Applaws dry food from Zooplus to try my 2 cats on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

We are feeding ours dry food out of lidl in the red bags,we was spending €50-60 a month on food from zooplus but as money is restricted at the moment we have had to cut down but i am surprised at the way the cats have taken to it.they all eat it no problem and each one of there coats are nice and shiny especially the black one and they all look nice and healthy.
    Anyone any experiences good or bad with the lidl food?

I have been feeding my cats, and dogs, on Lidl dry food for some time now, and they all seem to enjoy it. According to my vet all of them are in good health.

Advertisement