Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back to Education Allowance

• 21-01-2013 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭

I have been claiming JSA for almost 8 months now and the way things are going in the industry I work it doesn't look like I will have a secure job anytime in the near future. I have recently applied as a mature student to third level education and would like to go on the back to education allowance scheme. I have read up on it and it says that you must be claiming JSA/JSB for 9 months beforehand.

I have 2 questions about this. The first is, when do I inform the welfare office that I intend to partake in the scheme. Should I tell them ASAP or wait until nearer the time?

My old boss has also told me that he may have a contract coming up in the next month and there is a possibility that there could be 4-6 weeks work for me if I wanted it. Would this affect my chances of claiming BTEA, as it would mean I would have to sign off and sign back on again the following month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

You do need to be signing for 234 days(which is 9 months continuosly). If you get work and sign off the new claim will link back to the old one ( if it within 6 months for JB or 12 months for JA) so the claim days will pick up where they left off. If the course is starting in Sept/Oct I would say apply in June/July even if you don't have approval of the place a decision can be given that you qualify for the BTEA on the basis of your application.

If you are only going to be working for 4-6 weeks you can have your claim suspended for up to 8 weeks then you wouldn't have to wait for a new decison when you finish thet work . You would need to provide a P45 or a letter from the employer with the start and finish date of the work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭chris445

Thanks for the reply. That's a weight off my mind now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I have been unemployed for two years, I might of got a job for 11-22 hours a week max. I want to go back to college in September, would this jobs affect me getting the back to education in September?

Advertisement