Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone or Three? Serious phone, serious network.

Options
  • 21-01-2013 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭

I am going to get myself the Samsung Galaxy Note II, and I am weighing up do I buy it outright on my prepay plan at an extortionate price, even from Amazon, or switch to Vodafone on Bill Pay and get the phone subsidised.

I'm currently on 3Pay, on a grandfathered plan that is giving me the normal €20 benefits, but also a tenner free each month. It is clearly the best deal, as I'm someone who sends around 2000 odd texts a month, and the free unlimited data is handy, even for tethering. However, the one iffy bit is the data: we all know the issues with 'national roaming' and whatnot.

Typically, I'd be paying €43 a month (100 minutes + unlimited texts), a lot more than what I'm paying now. I get the 500MB free (which is OK) too. However, they claim that they are *the* best network for the smartphone and data. Can anyone verify this?

I really would love to stay with Three, and keep my class prepay plan, but data isn't up to par (unless you keep toggling WCDMA only, etc) and the phone is a lot outright. However, if I need to pay double a month more for a good service, it looks like all I can do.

I hope someone can advise me, and I'd be interested in hearing from Dublin/South Dublin based Vodafone customers also.

I posted here to hear from genuine users, not disgruntled customers in the Vodafone/Three forums.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Bill pay:
    You pay a lot less up front, but long term you end up paying more. However in two years time you can get yourself a brand new subsidised phone again.

The phone itself would cost you €250 on the 24 month contract. Now lets sat you pay off the whole thing month by month, phone included.

So you're basically paying €53.40 / month.

3pay:
    €20 a month for the plan + €500 for the phone.

Now again lets say you were paying the price of the phone off over 24 months, which works out at just under €21 / month.

So that's €41 / month.

Conclusion:
    Vodafone @ €53.40 per month
    • 100 mins to every network
    • Free Vodafone Calls
    • Free texts to everyone
    • 500MB data
    Three @ €41 per month
    • Free Three to Three calls
    • Free texts to everyone
    • Free calls to all Irish mobiles on the weekend
    • Unlimited internet access
    • €10 free credit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Thank you so much. See I am basing this on the fact that if I go Bill Pay I can offset the major outset of several hundred quid- money that I can't really be throwing out all in one go. But, as you have pointed out, you are paying a LOT more in the long run.

But that leads to the second question: is Vodafone a better service overall? Is it worth the higher price?

Thank you so much. See I am basing this on the fact that if I go Bill Pay I can offset the major outset of several hundred quid- money that I can't really be throwing out all in one go. But, as you have pointed out, you are paying a LOT more in the long run.

But that leads to the second question: is Vodafone a better service overall? Is it worth the higher price?

My plan was to go on Bill Pay at one point as I really wanted to ditch my HTC Desire without having to pay extortionate amounts of money for something better. Did the exact same calculation as I did above for you and realised how much better the 3Pay offer is compared to absolutely anything else available on the market.

My plan to offset the upfront cost of the Prepay device is to pay for it with my Student Credit Card and pay off the balance over two years. I'm planning on setting up a direct debit to automatically lodge €20/month into the card. Either that or remove it from my credit union savings and set up the direct debit with them instead. Either way I'm paying no interest.

Vodafone claim to have the best signal overall around Ireland. And to be fair to them, they must be doing something right because they're an internationally recognised brand based in coutries all around the world. Hwever, you seem quite content with Three. I personally have been with them for years and years (I'm on the same plan as you) and I am quite happy with them.

Ringing customer care won't change. You're still going to get through to an Indian call centre. Three CC just seem more difficult to deal with then anyone else though. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

Don't Three and Vodafone roam on each others network depending on which has the better signal? So if the data is iffy on Three would it not be on Vodafone to because if Vodafone was better then the data would come through that way? I have been with Three for many years and have only had one problem, the recent update with the Galaxy S3 which was sorted in a couple of weeks, annoying but with the amount of money saved over another network not the end of the world.

Danger781 wrote: »
    My plan to offset the upfront cost of the Prepay device is to pay for it with my Student Credit Card and pay off the balance over two years. I'm planning on setting up a direct debit to automatically lodge €20/month into the card. Either that or remove it from my credit union savings and set up the direct debit with them instead. Either way I'm paying no interest.

Can I ask, what bank are you with? That option seems very smart, and a good idea, to be honest. I have a job, so I doubt approval would be an issue.
    Vodafone claim to have the best signal overall around Ireland. And to be fair to them, they must be doing something right because they're an internationally recognised brand based in coutries all around the world. Hwever, you seem quite content with Three. I personally have been with them for years and years (I'm on the same plan as you) and I am quite happy with them.

See, that's the thing: they claim to have the best actual data coverage. The fact that Vodafone are ALWAYS available to me, rather than Three, makes me believe that if I'm getting their 2G everywhere, I am sure to get their powerful (and proven, faster) 3G/HSPDA(+) coverage everywhere too.

Yes, its a fantastic plan (and still the best out there, especially with the free tenner), but I am very sick of switching for WCDMA only all the time. Especially if I get this beyond-belief, kick ass phone, it'll wreck the head doing it all the time.
    01902 wrote: »
    Don't Three and Vodafone roam on each others network depending on which has the better signal? So if the data is iffy on Three would it not be on Vodafone to because if Vodafone was better then the data would come through that way?

Three customers only 'roam' on Vodafone if there is no Three coverage, and as far as I know, it is not vice versa. Also, it is only 2G (EDGE) signal- not high speed data.

• Advertisement

Can I ask, what bank are you with? That option seems very smart, and a good idea, to be honest. I have a job, so I doubt approval would be an issue.

See, that's the thing: they claim to have the best actual data coverage. The fact that Vodafone are ALWAYS available to me, rather than Three, makes me believe that if I'm getting their 2G everywhere, I am sure to get their powerful (and proven, faster) 3G/HSPDA(+) coverage everywhere too.

Yes, its a fantastic plan (and still the best out there, especially with the free tenner), but I am very sick of switching for WCDMA only all the time. Especially if I get this beyond-belief, kick ass phone, it'll wreck the head doing it all the time.

Three customers only 'roam' on Vodafone if there is no Three coverage, and as far as I know, it is not vice versa. Also, it is only 2G (EDGE) signal- not high speed data.

I'm with Bank Of Ireland. Student credit card has no interest as long as you pay off a minimum of €5 / month. Which you have to set up by direct debit regardless. I also have my Three account set to automatically top me up every month. :rolleyes:

Why do you need to switch to WCDMA? Could you not leave it on auto?

That is not bad. How long do you have until you need to pay it back? Once you graduate?
    On a side note, it is very clear that students are getting better treatment from banks than small businesses. Students are getting more credit than the emerging startup. Now, that's worrying! :)

Anyway, back on topic: I need to switch to that so that it picks up the strongest signal. It defaults back to 2G as it is stronger than the signal that I get from Three's 3G/HSDPA coverage. I literally do it three times a day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Three's customer support on the phone for 3pay customers is dire. Its fine for bill pay as they get an irish call center. That said, they've reps on boards who are FANTASTIC.

340189419.png

Needless to say I'm pleased with that. Coverage is good in dublin, I use it from D14 to Skerries and rarely have loss of data(I dont allow it to connect to vodafones sh1tty 2g).

Also, 15GB, watch all of the youtubes, upload Titanium backups of 1.3GB, whatever the hell I like.

That is not bad. How long do you have until you need to pay it back? Once you graduate?
    On a side note, it is very clear that students are getting better treatment from banks than small businesses. Students are getting more credit than the emerging startup. Now, that's worrying! :)

Anyway, back on topic: I need to switch to that so that it picks up the strongest signal. It defaults back to 2G as it is stronger than the signal that I get from Three's 3G/HSDPA coverage. I literally do it three times a day or so.

Not a clue being honest. I'm assuming I have the card until it expires.

Weird. I leave mine on auto all the time and it seems to suit me just fine. Then again my phone is old. Can handle a maximum of 7.2 Mbps. :P

Do you not have an option to set it to WCDMA preferred? Could you not download an app such as Tasker to set it to swap when you turn on data? I don't know if thats possible as I've never used it being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭100200 shih

ED E wrote: »
    Three's customer support on the phone for 3pay customers is dire. Its fine for bill pay as they get an irish call center. That said, they've reps on boards who are FANTASTIC.

340189419.png

Needless to say I'm pleased with that. Coverage is good in dublin, I use it from D14 to Skerries and rarely have loss of data(I dont allow it to connect to vodafones sh1tty 2g).

Also, 15GB, watch all of the youtubes, upload Titanium backups of 1.3GB, whatever the hell I like.

Do not know why you think prepaid get Irish customer support, we get sent to India also,this one of the reasons I am leaving 3 as soon as my contract is up

• Advertisement

Do not know why you think prepaid get Irish customer support, we get sent to India also,this one of the reasons I am leaving 3 as soon as my contract is up

Shop staff informed me that only billpay customers get Limerick. Maybe he meant to say business.

ED E wrote: »

340189419.png

I'm cool with their customer support. If you've any head on you, you can fix the problems yourself. There is rarely a reason why I need to contact them. I would say that in all my years with them, I've called them seven times. Not bad going.

That said, have a look at my typical 3G coverage where I am. And, I am in South Dublin, in a well populated area that is on relatively flat land with a view of the mountains and with masts nearby. I am also only 0.728km away (directly) from the nearest dedicated 3 mast. There are 15-20 masts from Vodafone, O2 and Meteor within 3km from me (confirmed from ComReg's Siteviewer).

348370398.png

348197305.png

337618631.png
    (Different dates, same location)

That is another reason why I wonder would Vodafone coverage be better for me.

Weird. I leave mine on auto all the time and it seems to suit me just fine. Then again my phone is old. Can handle a maximum of 7.2 Mbps. :P

Do you not have an option to set it to WCDMA preferred?

You get that, and I am on a new phone, only six months old, running Jelly Bean.

Also, WCDMA preferred is the default setting, but it stays on 2G because the 3G coverage is too low to be classed as 'acceptable'.

You get that, and I am on a new phone, only six months old, running Jelly Bean.

Also, WCDMA preferred is the default setting, but it stays on 2G because the 3G coverage is too low to be classed as 'acceptable'.

Well I haven't done a speed test or anything, just haven't had a reason to complain about speed. I know it's not going to compare to WiFi :p

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭partnership

have you considered the other networks? Meteor has some good deals and coverage is good.

Well I haven't done a speed test or anything, just haven't had a reason to complain about speed. I know it's not going to compare to WiFi :p
    Absolutely. It is only mobile data, but the speeds that I posted are shocking, and I love Three.
    have you considered the other networks? Meteor has some good deals and coverage is good.

Meteor do not have good offers. None have unlimited texts. None have a decent amount of any network texts. The only good offer, for heavy testers, is the €75 one. And that is WAY out of my price range.

Just did a speed test on WCDMA only vs. GSM/WCDMA auto

I was getting half the speeds when I swapped to WCDMA only.

But if I stay on a mixture of the two (automatic, preferred) I only get EDGE.

Static: What handset?

I stick to WCDMA only and never have problems, you arent perhaps in the knocklyon area are you? I've found coverage there to be super sketchy for both three and O2.

I've had to call them over a repair fiasco, several times for the content block(idiot didnt understand and disabled data entirely when I asked him to remove the adult content filter) and more recently over a porting issue. First time I rang they told me my device didnt exist....

Thats all within a year of being with them.

Sony Xperia S, de-branded and updated.

Yes, I am in that neck of the woods. Now, that's interesting. As you know, if you are down there, there is a load of masts in the surrounding areas, so that shouldn't be a problem. I say, shouldn't.

Yes, they are not without problems, but it is clear that they are the best value network, by miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I bought a Titanium Note 2 on Three about 3 weeks ago and I absolutely love it. Yes the initial cost seems a bit daunting at first but I got over it pretty quickly once I realised just how good the phone is. I am having no data problems with Three down in Cork City.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Buy one on adverts off a reputable seller. Sign up to 48. €20 a month for unlimited calls, texts and Internet.

Is it really that fantastic? It is just it seems to be a phone that, in one years time or even in the coming months, people and the very educated review websites will say "Nah, the Note II has still got it". With such a big outset, you want a phone that is well future proofed and will have the power, the community, and the features in a year or two- especially when bought out of contract?

One question though: the S-Pen- if you're not a creative type (something I am actually am), would you use it, or is a gimmick? Also, in-store it is hard to use as a demo model- so it is easy to use in real life?

Is it really that fantastic? It is just it seems to be a phone that, in one years time or even in the coming months, people and the very educated review websites will say "Nah, the Note II has still got it". With such a big outset, you want a phone that is well future proofed and will have the power, the community, and the features in a year or two- especially when bought out of contract?

One question though: the S-Pen- if you're not a creative type (something I am actually am), would you use it, or is a gimmick? Also, in-store it is hard to use as a demo model- so it is easy to use in real life?

To me I think that the Note 2 is Future Proof for another while due to the 2GB RAM and 1.6GHz Quad Core Processor. It runs all the apps and games I've gotten flawlessly even with the games such as Dead Trigger, GTA Vice City and Bards Tale maxed out.

With regards the S-Pen I tend to use it a fair bit but I expect to use it more when I go back to college at the end of the month as it is great for taking notes (No pun intended). It is very responsive and quite frankly the best stylus I've used. It's very precise with it being able to preview parts of videos while they are playing and getting a bigger picture when hovering over a photo.

That's that. I am completely and utterly set, and I'll go without contract for it.

Out of interest, I've heard nothing but good things about college students using it for notes: what course are you in? A course that is very word-based, equation-based, or graphic based?

I take a lot of notes myself for work and projects, and whatnot, and I sync everything with Evernote (my whole life is in there), so maybe the Note II, with the camera and note taking features, along with the camera and up-to-date, speedy apps it could work out for me. Does it sound like a match made in heaven, out of contract?

I still do fear that I will regret not going on a Bill Pay plan with Vodafone for the price and the data connections.
    What is worse is if I buy the phone out of contract at a crazy price, then realise that I should have gone Vodafone in the first place and save a ton of money than buying outright.

If only callcosts.ie were able to factor in the price of a phone to the calculator! ;)

That's that. I am completely and utterly set, and I'll go without contract for it.

Out of interest, I've heard nothing but good things about college students using it for notes: what course are you in? A course that is very word-based, equation-based, or graphic based?

I take a lot of notes myself for work and projects, and whatnot, and I sync everything with Evernote (my whole life is in there), so maybe the Note II, with the camera and note taking features, along with the camera and up-to-date, speedy apps it could work out for me. Does it sound like a match made in heaven, out of contract?

I'm in my first year of Software Development in CIT so you can imagine why I went for the (currently) most powerful phone out there. For you it seems like a match made in heaven alright.

As to the camera, I didn't really choose it for the camera but the quality is very good. Here's a shot I took with just auto mode:

20130117_195814.jpg

Sorry about the small pic, Photobucket seems to do this with all mobile uploads.

In most cases it's not even EDGE but just basic GPRS, that is, worse than dial-up. Where they do have EDGE, they tend to have 3G anyway so it defeats the purpose of it.

Vodafone do seem to have better 3G coverage than the others from what I can see, but I left them due to the lack of EDGE. They claim to have the best coverage but I've had trouble with them in Santry and Fairview, and my family in Kerry also left due to network issues.

For you it seems like a match made in heaven alright.

As to the camera, I didn't really choose it for the camera but the quality is very good. Here's a shot I took with just auto mode:

20130117_195814.jpg

Sorry about the small pic, Photobucket seems to do this with all mobile uploads.

I hope so. I really need that *push* to go and fork out the money (as a loan/overdraft until next month's wages come in).

As for the picture: yes, it is small, but it seems to have detail and focus well.
    Sure, is it not the fact that the sensor and lens are more important than just the amount of megapixels?

Like, you can have a 20MP camera, but if the lens and sensors are crap, there is no point. Besides, nobody is blowing up a picture to humongous sizes anyway.

Karsini wrote: »
    In most cases it's not even EDGE but just basic GPRS, that is, worse than dial-up. Where they do have EDGE, they tend to have 3G anyway so it defeats the purpose of it.

Vodafone do seem to have better 3G coverage than the others from what I can see, but I left them due to the lack of EDGE. They claim to have the best coverage but I've had trouble with them in Santry and Fairview, and my family in Kerry also left due to network issues.

Now, that's something. The idea of having poor coverage from the market leader in densely populated areas like Santry and Fairview: that really is something. You'd say avoid them, based on my earlier needs?

As for the picture: yes, it is small, but it seems to have detail and focus well.
    Sure, is it not the fact that the sensor and lens are more important than just the amount of megapixels?

Like, you can have a 20MP camera, but if the lens and sensors are crap, there is no point. Besides, nobody is blowing up a picture to humongous sizes anyway.

Yeah cameras these days are all about the sensor and lens. The amount of Megapixels seems to attract your usual non-tech savvy consumer.

Now, that's something. The idea of having poor coverage from the market leader in densely populated areas like Santry and Fairview: that really is something. You'd say avoid them, based on my earlier needs?
    Well it could just be bad luck for me. If I go out on the main road in Fairview it's fine, just on my road it drops a fair bit. I get little or nothing in my bedroom and had to use a Sure Signal to compensate. When I got my new job in Northwood, Santry I was only getting GPRS coverage with no 3G so that was the last straw and I ported.

I'd say to avoid them if you think you'll need data coverage in a fairly remote area, then again you'd have the same issue with 3 unless they had their own network present.

• Advertisement

Yeah cameras these days are all about the sensor and lens. The amount of Megapixels seems to attract your usual non-tech savvy consumer.

And as far as I remember, the Note II got a good review for these features by GSM Arena, who essentially pulled the phone apart.

Karsini wrote: »
    I'd say to avoid them if you think you'll need data coverage in a fairly remote area, then again you'd have the same issue with 3 unless they had their own network present.

Much for muchness, really. Seems like I'm back to square one: pay more for cheaper tariff, or pay less for cheap phone and higher tariff with less features.

Advertisement