Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Duty Shelf

• 21-01-2013 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

My washing machine and dryer are in my boiler house, the previous owner built a metal frame around the washing machine and a piece of ply above it where the dryer sits. To the right of that is all empty space.

I would like to remove the piece of ply that is on top of the metal frame and to run a longer piece of ply all the way along the back wall so I can put a small fridge up by the dryer. To do that I will need more support, ideally brackets on the new wall and brackets on the back wall. They would need to be able to support a heavy weight (about 60 kg). Would anyone be able to suggest the best type of bracket to use?

The wall is concrete.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Just get some lengths of Angle iron (or box steel) and extend out from the frame that takes the washing machine. You can even make legs out of angle iron etc...

The cheaper simpler option would be to extend out with some 3'' x 2'' 's. You could bolt the back 3x2 to the wall too. And make a frame with support legs out of 3x2's also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

Why not replace the plywood with a piece of Formica worktop, much stronger and kinder to touch, and depending on the length,
    Also it won't need any extra braces, only a light batten on the wall.....

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

I meant to say I was looking for a cheap option so the 3x2's will be best - thanks for your help.

Advertisement