Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between minute and round steak?

Options
  • 21-01-2013 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭

I was getting some sirloin steak but they had none so i got a small bit of minute steak and a bit of round steak.

Any difference in the quality of the meat or cooking it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭burstbuckle

I was getting some sirloin steak but they had none so i got a small bit of minute steak and a bit of round steak.

Any difference in the quality of the meat or cooking it?
    Round steak is more suited for stews,needs to be slow cooked otherwise it'll be as tough as old boots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Traditionally minute is a thin slice of sirloin from the rib, whereas round is a joint from the leg. Round will tend to be tougher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Rounds steaks could be anything from silverside (mostly used for corn beef), balls of the round, eye of the round. I would suggest the eye is the best of them. Those steaks are tougher than a sirloin but still tasty if cooked correctly.

A minute steak is normally a slim cut round steak

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Thanks.

So by the sounds of it I can't fry the round steak for a few mins to cook it, but I can do that for the minute steak?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Thanks.

So by the sounds of it I can't fry the round steak for a few mins to cook it, but I can do that for the minute steak?

That's about right, the minute steak is still going to be on the tougher side though.

I have seen some butchers using the round piece (eye of the round, salmon cut) on the side of the silverside as minute steak, so it may still be round steak. That's a confusing sentence but if you are familiar with silverside you will know what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You can chop the round steak finely (helps if you put it in the freezer for 20-30 minutes beforehand) and make the most wonderful burgers from it. Fantastic texture and they taste great. Takes a bit of patience though!

Advertisement