Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for Tips for shooting in cold

• 21-01-2013 5:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

As title says , looking for tips on this, especially in the current conditions. how do ye get around possible condensation, bringing camera back in from the cold or vice versa ? Does the "put it into a resealable plastic bag before you bring it indoors" still apply ?

All tips welcome, just got a new camera this year and ........ it cost me a lot....

thanks

Secman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

I can't verify the benefit of this, but I've a friend who goes into his missus' car after being out shooting. He turns the heating on and allows the camera to acclimatize slowly to a warmer temperature before going into his nice warm house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭aidanic

Keep a spare battery in your pocket, so it's warm. The battery performance will decline quickly in the cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Wear plenty of layers, and gloves. I went out earlier tonight - good 8km round trip trekking the gear around, glad I wore layers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Wrap up warm, bring lots of layers and especially a hat.

Yup slowly bring the temp of the camera up/down is better then a big jump, it will stop the camera & lens fogging.

Shoot +1 stop on your camera to make sure the snow comes out white white.

Play around and have fun!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Thanks guys for the replies, I am more interested in ideas for the camera than me !
    I am well able to cope with the cold, I suffer more from the heat than the cold !

Secman

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Before coming back into a nice warm house with your camera, put it into a resealable bag and seal it up. Leave it in the bag for half an hour or so before opening it. That will reduce the risk of condensation inside the body and lens.

Ask me nicely and I might organise a sample of one of these bags for you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Hi Pullandbang,

Thanks for the tip, I remembered that tip from old and was wondering if it was still the best solution. By the way, your bags look amazing and I dare say are brilliant value for money, do exactly what they say on the tin, very durable too. I would say the zip mechanism is second to none, probably the best bag on the market.
    I would be deeply honoured to sample some of those wonderful bags.

Thanking you profusely :D

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I was in Liverpool last weekend, it was cold (photos from the airplane)and my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 lens was getting a bit stiffer when zooming.
    Besides that it was fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

secman wrote: »
    your bags look amazing and I dare say are brilliant value for money, do exactly what they say on the tin, very durable too. I would say the zip mechanism is second to none, probably the best bag on the market. I would be deeply honoured to sample some of those wonderful bags.

:D *takes notes*

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

secman wrote: »
    I would be deeply honoured to sample some of those wonderful bags.

Thanking you profusely :D

Secman

PM me your gory details and I'll get a couple out in the post :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

dinneenp wrote: »
    I was in Liverpool last weekend, it was cold and was getting a bit stiffer.

:eek:

Advertisement