Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in the USA

Options
  • 21-01-2013 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Just wondering if there are any options tohead to the US for work. Myself and my girlfriend want a change and a new experience. I just want to know if its possible or not. I will be finished an accounting degree in May and have 5 years experience in a Financial Institution. My girlfriend is a qualified nurse and is working for the last two years.

Is there a route to this or is Canada my only option. I would be willing to throw my hand to construction jobs etc if neccessary.

If anyone has any info, thanks alot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

You will either need a sponsor (job offer or family reunification) or win the Visa lottery. Any family in US?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Clubman2012

I have a relation in Manhattan. Its a cousin though so I doubt very much tht would give a couple an invite to work in the US?

What way does the lottery work? Pot luck?

I hear about people going over alot, but i suppose they could be illegal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Your girlfriend may have a better shot than you. There has been a nursing shortage in the US for the last decade or so and is expected to get worse. I know that there have been recruitment programs from the Philippines and India to bring in nurses.

http://www.fiercehealthcare.com/story/house-passes-foreign-nurse-bill-serve-shortage-areas/2011-08-04

There's been in oil boom in North Dakota. Many unemployed Americans, packed up and moved to North Dakota for jobs. It was so desperate up there that even McDonald's was offering hiring bonuses.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/21/mcdonalds-signing-bonuses_n_1220088.html#s609464&title=10_Austin_TX

Oh here's something.

https://chi.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=623017&src=JB-11640

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

OP, the J-1 12 month graduate visa will also be available to you (assuming you meet requirements), however not to your girlfriend. We have a thread here and the US government have a dedicated website here.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭TKline

There's been in oil boom in North Dakota. Many unemployed Americans, packed up and moved to North Dakota for jobs. It was so desperate up there that even McDonald's was offering hiring bonuses.

There's also been a property crash and interest rates are lower than they've ever been - see chart below from the MacroBusiness Forum

http://macrobusinessforum.com/topic/8455301

So now would seem to be a good time to buy a house in the USA.

Good luck to the OP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

TKline wrote: »
    There's also been a property crash and interest rates are lower than they've ever been

What does this have to do with the OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Marry your girlfriend.

There is huge demand for nurses all over the US and they pay good money, she'd have no problem getting sposorship. You would probably get a work permit after a few months of twiddling your thumbs over there (I-765 work permit generally takes 3 months to get when you apply in the US), just get the correct travel visa to get there. I'm not sure though if sponsorship would allow her to bring a spouse though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

seanmacc wrote: »
    Marry your girlfriend.

There is huge demand for nurses all over the US and they pay good money, she'd have no problem getting sposorship. You would probably get a work permit after a few months of twiddling your thumbs over there (I-765 work permit generally takes 3 months to get when you apply in the US), just get the correct travel visa to get there. I'm not sure though if sponsorship would allow her to bring a spouse though.

She could get a H1b but it would be many years before she would be able to get a green card (nurses are in retrogression, they are processing applications from 07 at the moment). Spouses of H1b are not eligible for employment authorization (I 765) so you wouldn't be able to work.

Advertisement