Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consistently good bands.

Options
  • 21-01-2013 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭

Talking about this the last day and it was quite interesting. Dillenger escape plan, Tool, Meshuggah and ISIS are the best ones I could think of. In terms of really old bands I'd say Led Zeppelin, although they had one or two less memorable albums towards the end. And Ramones of course, everything was perfect.

Anybody else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

Opeth, even though the last album was a bit different, it was still pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

im gonna be slated but i think h.i.m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Thought ISIS became very "samey". Same album over and over. But it's all subjective I suppose. But yeah, I would agree that ISIS were consistent in releasing decent material.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

janes addiction
    smashing pumpkins (original line up)
    stone temple pilots
    sabbath
    the damned
    bauhaus
    buzzcocks
    mogwai
    tool
    the cult
    hendrix

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

Lamb of God

Rammstein

Chimaira

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Rage against the machine - they found a formula that works, but goddamnit it, it works every time!

The mars volta - [fanboy] not afraid to mix it up and have travelled quite the creative arc in their time, their mix of latin, jazz, metal and prog rock, becoming more experimental as they've grown, is always an interesting and rewarding listening experience. [/fanboy]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

weisses wrote: »
    Lamb of God

Really? Resolution was pretty cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Really? Resolution was pretty cat.

It's not Ashes but I reckon it's a fine album. Also, I second Lamb of God for this list. There are no dud albums and they consistently deliver a great live show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

GIAA
    RATM
    SOAD
    CCR
    Mogwai (already said tho)
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    Tool
    The Stone Roses
    Nirvana

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Gojira....without a doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Yeah I forgot about Gojira.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Iron Maiden (except for the Blaze Bayley years)
    Pagan Altar
    Forefather
    Immortal
    Nile
    Mastodon
    Symphony X
    Blind Guardian
    Threshold

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Blind Guardian

Agree, up til their last release, which I thought was mediocre at best.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

I would say Dream Theater and Soilwork, not a bad album by either IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pot p

Mastodon
    Soilwork
    Down
    Priestess
    Red Fang
    Gojira

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭blackwave

Steven Wilson and his related bands like Porcupine Tree, Blackfield and Storm Corrosion for me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Metallica.

Megadeth.

Slayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Alice in Chains.

Even Black gives way to blue and Jerry's solo album are well worth a listen.

(RIP Layne)

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Oh and QOTSA of course....

And Foo Fighters, Wasting Light was a gem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Cannibal Corpse, Vader, Eisregen, Amon Amarth and Endstille

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Tool, Meshuggah, Gojira, Mastodon and Strapping Young Lad.

There will be folks who disagree and that's fine, but for me personally SYL didn't have a bad cd and the other 4 have yet to let me down especially in a live setting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Ahab. Granted they've only had 3 studio albums, but those albums have been fantastic.
    Anaal Nathrakh
    Decapitated
    Dying Fetus

All I can think of at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Deftones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Rush
    Pink Floyd
    Porcupine Tree
    Steven Wilson
    Neil Young

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Deftones
    Muse
    Tool
    Dream Theater (At a stretch)
    System of a Down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Deftones.

Flawless discography.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Guns N' Roses - And when I say GnR, I mean the old lineup. But back then GnR put out consistently good albums in Appetite for Destruction and the two Use Your Illusions albums. Don't know what people think of Chinese Demoracy but a lot of people liked that too.

Metallica in the 80's also put out consistently good albums, along with the Black Album in he 90's. After that, well that's down to preference really.

Alice In Chains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Joe_Dull wrote: »

What about 'Falling Into Infinity'? Absolute cack IMO. They started going downhill after Kevin Moore's departure, and LaBrie never recovered properly after that accident he had with his vocal chords. Anyway...

Death - 7 really distinct albums, all pretty influential and not a duff note played on any of them (at a push I'd say Bill Andrew's drumming on 'Leprosy' and 'Spiritual Healing' is a low point).

Rush - Probably the most impressive output, almost 4 decades after their debut album they're still producing quality music.

Suffocation - Everything they've released during the 90s was solid gold, everything during the 00s pretty decent. The new album sounds blistering!

The Pixies - 4 albums of some of the most fun and catchy rock/pop ever comitted to tape.

Fugazi/Minor Threat - Ian McKaye is something of a legend! Yet to hear a bad record that bares his name.

Kreator - Far more consistent than Slayer.

I'd say Opeth too but 'Heritage' is shockingly bad (I quite like the direction they were going with it but the production is woeful, while the actual songwriting is non existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    When Dream And Day Unite, Falling Into Infinity and Systematic Chaor were all pretty weak to me.....
    For me it's
    1. Opeth
    2. Converge
    3. Tool
    4. Neurosis (Excluding first two.)
    5. Death

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

What about 'Falling Into Infinity'? Absolute cack IMO. They started going downhill after Kevin Moore's departure, and LaBrie never recovered properly after that accident he had with his vocal chords.
    Disagree with you there, I really enjoy that album. I'd also say that LaBrie had and has one of the best voices in rock and metal, the injury impacted very little on the quality of his recordings and he's now made a full recovery.
    When Dream And Day Unite, Falling Into Infinity and Systematic Chaor were all pretty weak to me.....

I do like Systematic Chaos, although I forgot about When Dream and Day Unite. Never even listened to it in fact, so I might have to revise my opinion after I do.

Advertisement