Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consistently good bands.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Personally I think Falling Into Infinity is pretty under-rated. Would definitely have it ahead of anything they produced after Train of Thought.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

I agree it's an underrated album, although I certainly wouldn't prefer it to Black Clouds & Silver Linings or A Dramatic Turn of Events. Systematic Chaos, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Personally I think Falling Into Infinity is pretty under-rated. Would definitely have it ahead of anything they produced after Train of Thought.
    Joe_Dull wrote: »
    I agree it's an underrated album, although I certainly wouldn't prefer it to Black Clouds & Silver Linings or A Dramatic Turn of Events. Systematic Chaos, maybe.
    Disagree with you there, I really enjoy that album. I'd also say that LaBrie had and has one of the best voices in rock and metal, the injury impacted very little on the quality of his recordings and he's now made a full recovery.

Absolutely agree with the above posts. Falling Into Infinity is one of my favourite DT albums and I consider it vastly underrated. It is immaculately produced and one of their best produced albums IMO. If anything, DT could do with hiring an outside producer to reign them in and go back to the days when they were a tight unit. As a side note, Derek Sherinian's performance on Falling Into Infinity is almost perfect for a keyboard player, playing for the song and not overstating it.

People who harp on about the band not being the same after Kevin Moore's departure should reconsider Sherinian's subtle but brilliant contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

open to abuse but am i only him fan in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

brilou23 wrote: »
    open to abuse but am i only him fan in ireland

Possibly on another forum. :D But posters are pretty sound and non-discriminatory here. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Now post that on metal Ireland and see what it gets you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Hope i don't duplicate any previously mentioned that I agree with:

Riverside; Agalloch; Beardfish; King's X; Marillion

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Nine Inch Nails
    Jane's Addiction
    Type O Negative

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Disagree with you there, I really enjoy that album. I'd also say that LaBrie had and has one of the best voices in rock and metal, the injury impacted very little on the quality of his recordings and he's now made a full recovery.

He sounds good enough when singing DT's own stuff but when they covered Number of the Beast he sounded pretty weak in comparison to Bruce Dickinson.

DT would probably be even better with someone like Russell Allen of Symphony X on vocals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Karnivool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

+1 for Agalloch, very underrated band imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Defo Agalloch and Isis! and I think Godspeed You! Black Emperor proved how "consistently good" they are with their new album too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

What are Riverside like? Heard one song from new album, its class. Looking to get into more of their stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Gojira for sure.

Katatonia, I reckon. Style has changed quite a bit over the years (compare BMD with Dead End Kings, for example) but they've been consistently daycent.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Mushy wrote: »
    What are Riverside like? Heard one song from new album, its class. Looking to get into more of their stuff?

You won't be disappointed Mushy. I'd summarise their music as Pink Floyd / Porcupine Tree / Opeth / Katatonia / Anathema.

I forgot earlier to say Woods of Ypres. They have an excellent catalogue of albums and were about to take the next big step only for the tragic death of David Gold!

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

Pearl Jam

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

Denny M wrote: »
    Now post that on metal Ireland and see what it gets you :pac:
    only the finest ****storm of rage on the face of the planet!

For my contribution I'd say:
    Blind Guardian
    Bloodbath
    Rage
    Ihsahn
    Judas Priest
    Kreator
    Fear Factory
    Meshuggah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

+1 for Ihsahn.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 breadman

Primordial are the best metal band in the world since Sabbath.
    And they are Irish.

Primordial are the best metal band in the world since Sabbath.
    And they are Irish.Delicious riffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

What about 'Falling Into Infinity'? Absolute cack IMO. They started going downhill after Kevin Moore's departure, and LaBrie never recovered properly after that accident he had with his vocal chords. Anyway...

Not the first to take issue with it but I loved Falling Into Infinity. Same with Octavarium which many panned as well. DT are a band that everybody has their own favourite stuff by. For example I acknowledge Awake and Scenes From a Memory are classic DT but there's at least five of their albums id go to before either.

On that basis you'd have to say Dream Theater. Always look forward to anything they put out.

Tool are another but Keenan's disappointing lack of ability to remove his head from his hole and get some music out cancels that out a lot. Waiting 5 years + between each album is a complete pisstake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

spiralism wrote: »

Tool are another but Keenan's disappointing lack of ability to remove his head from his hole and get some music out cancels that out a lot. Waiting 5 years + between each album is a complete pisstake.

5 years = writing/recording/touring/time off/sideprojects for each member isnt that much of a pisstake, but i'll admit i'll be a little annoyed if there's no new album this year.

Adam has artwork on the go
    Justin has MT Void
    Danny has volto and various session projects
    Maynard has Pusifer, winemaking and a bit of APC

My guess is that Tool are being wound up and this will probably the last album. they're all mid to late 40's and danny is 50+

They're gonna go out on a stormer, just read an interview with danny that says justin is kicking their asses this time around, and that they want the album out this year. However, maynard was interviewed while promoting pusifers new stuff and even though his publicist told the interviewer not to ask about tool, he was asked about a new album and said "no new album this year, i've written no songs"

but the nard doesnt write songs on his own does he? plus i dont believe a word he says half the time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Frost*...helps with only 2 albums, but just wow!

Pearl Jam...its a craft to them, so much passion flowing through it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

He sounds good enough when singing DT's own stuff but when they covered Number of the Beast he sounded pretty weak in comparison to Bruce Dickinson.

DT would probably be even better with someone like Russell Allen of Symphony X on vocals.

I wouldn't have any interest in hearing bands play covers, so that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Black Country Communion : Although they are only around a short time they have made three excellent albums and have also released a live double CD. They are a super band live (when they do tour :().

Advertisement