Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scientist looking for volunteer surrogate for Neanderthal cloning

Options
  • 21-01-2013 7:24pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭

A genetics professor from Harvard has said it would be possible to clone a Neanderthal baby from ancient DNA if he could find a woman willing to act as a surrogate.
    He told Der Spiegel, the German magazine: “I have already managed to attract enough DNA from fossil bones to reconstruct the DNA of the human species largely extinct. Now I need an adventurous female human.”

The professor claims that he could introduce parts of the Neanderthal genome to human stem cells and clone them to create a foetus that could then be implanted in a woman.

Do you think this will ever actually happen? Whatever about cloning sheep or mammoths, I would have thought that when humans are involved there would be many more ethical barriers. I'm not sure I'd be too keen on carrying a Neanderthal foetus personally, as who knows what the medical complications could turn out to be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

Public acceptance of human cloning will be needed first. And I see this lagging far behind any technological refinements needed to perfect and make everyday the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Scarinae wrote: »
    A genetics professor from Harvard has said it would be possible to clone a Neanderthal baby from ancient DNA if he could find a woman willing to act as a surrogate.

Do you think this will ever actually happen? Whatever about cloning sheep or mammoths, I would have thought that when humans are involved there would be many more ethical barriers. I'm not sure I'd be too keen on carrying a Neanderthal foetus personally, as who knows what the medical complications could turn out to be.

This is crazy news D: I didn´t know there was already enough DNA to clone one. I thought we would have to wait until they found a frozen body!

I doubt this will ever happen, what with the ethical problems regarding Homo sapiens cloning, but... wouldn´t it be fascinating? :cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There were women who wanted to have the ice-man's baby so yeah they'll get someone.

Remember the Endemol Kidney transplant show ?
    The makers of the Dutch De Grote Donorshow (The Big Donor Show) promised a one-off programme in which a terminally ill woman would chose which of three contestants would receive her kidneys when she died.
    OK it was a hoax, but the foot is in the door and stuff like this has long been a staple of SciFi

I could imagine MTV doing a show on this , possibly even as a competition !

So funding isn't a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I look forward to MTV's My Big Neanderthal Baby show...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Apparently this is just another case of the press getting things wrong and saying them worse:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/no-harvard-geneticist-not-trying-clone-neanderthal-baby-213859546.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement