Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ok, now.. What do I need.

Options
  • 21-01-2013 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Finally,

I'm out of the closet. I'm 29, I free myself of inner secrets. I've been a "mans man" all my young life. Scraping in bars, into contact sports. Being one of the lads. Well I'm given it all up and embracing my new me before I turn 30.

I'm actually a geek, and I'm finally admitting it ;)

I'm taking up all my hobbies and ticking all the boxes.

So I'm getting some Bino's I believe the term is :) some 15x70 Skymasters to get me started and learn the sky.

So what else do I need?

Is there a nice great big wall chart of the sky I can put on the wall, and geek out by sticking little pins in accomplishments and points of interest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

If you are getting 15 x 70 binos I think a tripod could also be useful to steady your view.

And good luck. Welcome to the fraternity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭HarrisonLennon

Rubecula wrote: »
    If you are getting 15 x 70 binos I think a tripod could also be useful to steady your view.

And good luck. Welcome to the fraternity :)

Yeah for sure, thanks.

That'll come when my budget grows a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Welcome aboard :)

You can get yourself a planisphere / sky chart i guess, Eason have them cheap enough, check Astronomy Ireland and ktectelescopes.ie also

ZeRoY wrote: »

You can get yourself a planisphere / sky chart i guess, Eason have them cheap enough, check Astronomy Ireland and ktectelescopes.ie also

Why thank you..

And I'll do exactly that, tomorrow.

Do you think my bino choice is a good starter?

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Why thank you..

And I'll do exactly that, tomorrow.

Do you think my bino choice is a good starter?

Sorry dont know much about the Binoculars but from what Im seeing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0QGS564sPk) those look good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Check this site out: http://www.google.ie/sky/

If you have an Android phone there is an app which is very useful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Check out Stellarium. It'll help you find what's where.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 smg2013

Tzetze wrote: »

Can u change stellarium to your location,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

smg2013 wrote: »
    Can u change stellarium to your location,

Yes, F6 will bring up the location window. You can select one of the presets or enter your own coordinates and set as default.

Yes, F6 will bring up the location window. You can select one of the presets or enter your own coordinates and set as default.

Cheers I was just downloading it earlier, it's pretty cool, star gazing must be so much easier with all these apps and downloads, just got my first scope yesterday, what a first night the moon and Jupiter , even with a 70mm it was amazing, I must get a Barlow lens,

• Advertisement

ZeRoY wrote: »

Well bought that, and have it proudly stuck to the wall. Now... *scratches head* how to read the bugger.

Looks great. Though I've not got a computer ATM. Just on an iPhone. I downloaded the app SkySafari.. That pretty cool I must admit.

Now just waiting on the bino's although I'm trying not to expect greatness. I don't want to be disappointed looking up.

Cheers I was just downloading it earlier, it's pretty cool, star gazing must be so much easier with all these apps and downloads, just got my first scope yesterday, what a first night the moon and Jupiter , even with a 70mm it was amazing, I must get a Barlow lens,

Really? What scope did you get..

It's a celestron astromaster 70, it's just a beginners telescope, I got it off amazon with a moon filter for less than 100e , I'm old enough now 32 to have learned not to spend to much to quick, but it really surprised me , I live in the country and perfect clear sky's so it prob helps the lesser quality scope,

It's a celestron astromaster 70, it's just a beginners telescope, I got it off amazon with a moon filter for less than 100e , I'm old enough now 32 to have learned not to spend to much to quick, but it really surprised me , I live in the country and perfect clear sky's so it prob helps the lesser quality scope,

Great stuff, yeah I checked out that scope myself. Looks grand. I'm a bit of an addict though with hobbies. In afraid ill buy a beginners scope, and then need a bigger buzz in a month, as regards viewing pleasure.

Really? What scope did you get..

Ps if done a while with the binoculars, there good too, it's a new way to hop off the chair when I hear the intro to eastenders and leave my wife to enjoy her soaps alone :)

Ps if done a while with the binoculars, there good too, it's a new way to hop off the chair when I hear the intro to eastenders and leave my wife to enjoy her soaps alone :)

;) for sure. It's great to have somewhere to run too.

What bino's did you use?

I'm getting 15x70's

Great stuff, yeah I checked out that scope myself. Looks grand. I'm a bit of an addict though with hobbies. In afraid ill buy a beginners scope, and then need a bigger buzz in a month, as regards viewing pleasure.

Well I'm ordering a Barlow x2, it will hopefully improve the scope more ,but for the money it's great, in a few months i might put it on done deal and invest in a new one, time and weather permitting

;) for sure. It's great to have somewhere to run too.

What bino's did you use?

I'm getting 15x70's

8-100 x 28s they were not bought for stars, but were cool to use, I'd say what u have is a lot better

• Registered Users Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Well bought that, and have it proudly stuck to the wall. Now... *scratches head* how to read the bugger.
    Easy. On a planisphere for your latitude, set the date and time by rotating the front 'rotaty' bit. The centre point is the 'north pole' of the sky. If your facing south, hold the planisphere so that the side marked 'south' is closest to you, north for north etc...

Easy peasy. A picture of the visible sky.

Oh. Wall chart. Just got that.

OK. Rotate your house....

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

I'm a bit of an addict though with hobbies. In afraid ill buy a beginners scope, and then need a bigger buzz in a month, as regards viewing pleasure.

This hobby will that to you alright.

Then the astrophotography starts :eek:

Kersh wrote: »

Haha hold on we can barely find the moon yet

I've already started that lark and I haven't even got the bino's. the camera zoom down the scope looks fantastic. Then the pictures jaysus... Unreal. This is some hobby man. I'm gonna be broke

I've already started that lark and I haven't even got the bino's. the camera zoom down the scope looks fantastic. Then the pictures jaysus... Unreal. This is some hobby man. I'm gonna be broke
    Luckily there's a built-in failsafe. From here on in, you'll only be awake when the shops are shut!

Bugger. Internet shopping.....

Buy this! You know you want to! And you definitely need one!

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1009_Celestron-C14-SC-XLT---356-3910mm-Schmidt-Cassegrain-OTA.html

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

endacl wrote: »
    Luckily there's a built-in failsafe. From here on in, you'll only be awake when the shops are shut!

Bugger. Internet shopping.....

Buy this! You know you want to! And you definitely need one!

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1009_Celestron-C14-SC-XLT---356-3910mm-Schmidt-Cassegrain-OTA.html

:D

Monster :D

Put it on an Astro-Physics 1600 mount too!!

Monster :D

Put it on an Astro-Physics 1600 mount too!!
    Easy now! Its not my cash to spend! :D

I'm only ..... giving the chap a nudge in the right direction, like.....

:p

Advertisement